La Liga - 2014/15

Eila

James did nothing. Granted, it's still very early in the season, but when you pay that much money AND let your second best player go...

Vato

Watches other men wank.Supports Real.Coincidence?
Supports
Real Madrid
How can we implode like that after such a good start? Shades of Spain vs Holland. Casillas' confidence really is shattered at the moment. He should give the captains armband to Ramos.

Skorenzy

:lol: Granada are starting with an 18-year old striker whose name is Success... Sun and Dailymail headline writers must be in despair that he isn't playing in the PL.

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
James will suffer a bit I think. He's a good player, but when you come with that price tag and your team lets a better and more versatile player go for less, fans will turn on you unless you deliver week in week out. I doubt he's that good. They will miss Di María and James will get the flak.

Little more than 12 months ago he was playing for Porto, and as good as he was, he wasn't an €80m player by any means (even his €45m quoted price was fake, it was more like 30-35), and I have a hard time believing he improved that much just after one season in that plastic fest that Monaco was.

World Cup performances being overrated, nothing new. Always thought that a summer tournament with half of the stars knackered, part time shitty managers, and a huge host of other constraints is nowhere near the best place to evaluate a player, in spite of as good an entertainment it provides. I saw Porto fans raving on how good Herrera (the Mexican) was on the back of 3 WC performances, so fast they forgot an entire season of him playing like shit. Now that the real football started they want him out of the starting XI again...

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Woeful second half from Madrid vs Real Sociedad. If they want to have any control in midfield they have to sacrifice one of their superstars and play Khedira.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
James will suffer a bit I think. He's a good player, but when you come with that price tag and your team lets a better and more versatile player go for less, fans will turn on you unless you deliver week in week out. I doubt he's that good. They will miss Di María and James will get the flak.

Little more than 12 months ago he was playing for Porto, and as good as he was, he wasn't a €80m player by any means, and I have a hard time believing he improved that much just after one season in that plastic fest that Monaco was. World Cup performances being overrated, nothing new.
Yes, I was surprised when they bought them for that fee but even more surprised that they decided to get rid of Di Maria. They will miss him no doubt, Rodriguez might be more talented but Angel energy, pace and willingness to run 90+ minutes was something no one else could do for them.

IMO Madrid has weakened themselves. Barca on the other hand has done very well.

United22

How can we implode like that after such a good start? Shades of Spain vs Holland. Casillas' confidence really is shattered at the moment. He should give the captains armband to Ramos.
He shouldn't even be on the pitch

buildabonfire

He should probably give Ramos the gloves, mate

Kostur

海尔的老板
Yea guys, laugh all you want but it will be Real Madrid who'll be laughing at you when they sell one zilion jerseys.

buildabonfire

ADM must be laughing at the mess he's avoided - from a no-points-this-season team to one on an unbeaten run of two in the league!

Blackwidow

Xabi Alonso played as a CB yesterday from what i was told...God knows what is going through Pep's mind haha
He was not. He played defensive midfield. He only was in the built-up between the two defenders some times - in the same way Schweinsteiger and Lahm often do it. But we played with four in the back yesterday and Lahm as a full back and Rode + Alonso in central/defensive midfield. It might even have been a 4-4-2 at the beginning of the system as Lewandowski and Müller often played next to each other - or both of them fell back in midfield.

But - yes - for some people it sometimes is misleading as Pep often adapts formation during the match...

Skorenzy

Bring in Koke or Vidal.
That reminds me of an apt reaction on another forum that I just read after tonight's game, re:your MF balance.. the sheer tone of it made me laugh I'll admit :lol:

Good, feck Madrid. Maybe they should go ahead and sell Khedira and Illarramendi too. I'm sure Falcao and Hernandez can play there instead.

fontaine

Ful Ful Ful Member Full Member Full Member
It's rinse and repeat with Madrid.. They have a successful season and sell their most hard working players and buy overrated others.. I know they have a lot of pressure from addidas to do these moves though..

Sphaero

Struggling to explain his genius to the hoi polloi
Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Real Madrid looking completely devoid of balance after buying hyped offensive super stars and selling nearly all their workers? Who would have thought...

Shows once again that a team which looks unbeatable on paper does not guarantuee success.

Brown Toothpick

Supports
FC Barcelona
Slept when it was 2-0. Nice way to start the day :)

Perez will probably sign another player just to silence the muppets.

Snake Plissken

Aka LTS10
Madrid astound me. Finally capture la decima, then get rid of (imo) last seasons best player, for a 6 game world cup star, knock the whole balance off by having Kroos and Modric in and no defensive midfielder like Alonso.

Perez seemingly just can't resist big money buys no matter what.

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
Cristiano the cryptic is back again. This time what he can't say in public is what he thinks about Real Madrid's transfer activity, but add that he'd maybe do things differently :D

Eila

Well if I was Cristiano and my best buddy Di Maria got shoved away for a shiny new toy I would be mad.
Same with Ozil, though he was replaced pretty soon. We'll see how James does over there, but talk about an unnecessary transfer.

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
I agree. Just find it funny how he keeps doing this "well, I can't say what I think in public but by saying this you know exactly what I think" routine.

Matchday 3 - 12 Sept and Madrid derby

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
A lively Liga weekend approaching.

Friday 12th Sept - (all times UK)
Almería v Córdoba 20:00

Sat 13 Sep 2014 - Spanish La Liga
Barcelona v Ath Bilbao 15:00
Real Madrid v Atl Madrid 19:00
Málaga v Levante 17:00
Celta de Vigo v Real Sociedad 21:00

Sun 14 Sep 2014 - Spanish La Liga
Rayo Vallecano v Elche 11:00
Valencia v Espanyol 16:00
Sevilla v Getafe 18:00
Granada CF v Villarreal 20:00

Mon 15 Sep 2014 - Spanish La Liga
Eibar v Deportivo de La Coruña 19:45

We're two games in and only Barcelona have full points, and only Levante have 0. This weekend we've got the 4 CL teams going head to head, and that includes the third Madrid derby so far this season (there could be 5 more of them)

Barca seem to have all their players back in training after the internationals, and I'd guess they'll be close to (Suarez-less) full strength, though Mathieu may be a doubt. Athletic look like they've got a full squad as well - Valverde says they'll try and make Barca feel uncomfortable, but that might not be enough at the Camp Nou.

Real Madrid have lost Khedira and Ancelotti is supposed to be experimenting with just about every player in the squad to try and get a midfield three that works. I've seen Illarra, Isco, James, Bale, Varane and Pepe mentioned as possibles to join Kroos and Modric - I think that's the press guessing rather than press insight. Ronaldo is supposed to be fit again (he missed the defeat against Real Sociedad and Portugal's matches). Atletico may be back to full strength, with Arda Turan in action. Miranda was injured but is back in training again.

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
Just to add to the injury news, Carvajal has been ruled out for Real Madrid and Ancelotti has apparently been trying out Sergio Ramos as an alternative. He also confirmed that Javier Hernández won't start though that's hardly a surprise.

Read on twitter than Benzema has only scored twice in fifteen games against Atlético. Obviously he's in the team for more than just goals but that's a really poor record.

Rykker_4united

Supports
Keep Rodgers at Pool.
Just to add to the injury news, Carvajal has been ruled out for Real Madrid and Ancelotti has apparently been trying out Sergio Ramos as an alternative. He also confirmed that Javier Hernández won't start though that's hardly a surprise.

Read on twitter than Benzema has only scored twice in fifteen games against Atlético. Obviously he's in the team for more than just goals but that's a really poor record.
I always rated Sergio Ramos higher as a fullback anyways since he's not really a good defender but can provided a lot going forward.

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
I like him in both roles (though his rash attitude is an obvious problem in either) but if it's between Varane/Pepe/Ramos and Ramos/Pepe/Arbeloa then I'd definitely pick the former all day long.

That's assuming Arbeloa is fit? Haven't heard anything about an injury...

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
Yeah they got it before their last game (which was their first home game).

Skorenzy

Almería 1-1 Córdoba. Fede Cartabia (on loan from Valencia) with his 2nd goal in his 2nd start, which also means he's so far scored all of Córdoba's league goals after 3 matchdays.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
What a day tomorrow :drool:

First Arsenal - City
Then Barca - Bilbao
And to top it all the Madrid derby in the evening

Hurrayy!

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
I fancy atletico to win. Only way I can see real winning is if Bale plays a stormer in the Di Maria role. They're far too unbalanced and Simeone will take advantage.

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
Going into a derby where I'm confident that Atlético will get a result. Going to be a great game.

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
I fancy atletico to win. Only way I can see real winning is if Bale plays a stormer in the Di Maria role. They're far too unbalanced and Simeone will take advantage.
Looks like James will play there again, reading between the lines from Ancelotti's press conference.

Hojoon

Mateu Lahoz refereeing the derby. Should be an entertaining one.

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
Lahoz is a nutjob

Alves is out for Barcelona with the Basques in town which likely means Montoya will get a chance to show his quality against Valverde's unforgiving side. I expect Munir to start again as well

Raul Madrid

Ancelotti on atletico madrids style

“Atlético aren’t a violent side. They have their own style of play that is intense. This is football and it’s not a game for little girls; it is for men. Their style has given them a lot of rewards. Two different styles face off tomorrow and we will see who is right.
“Football is in the city. There’s not merely one side in the city. All sides have fans all over the world. It doesn’t matter which side is more popular in the capital, what matters is who is the best at the end of the season. That’s what they did last year in the league and us in Europe.”

I am very glad he did not complain about their style of play. I understand completely why atletico play the way they do as it is their best chance of competing with Madrid and barca as well as the other top teams in Europe. Of course it is frustrating when your team is playing against it (even more so if they go a goal up), but they are entitled to play how they want.

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
I am very glad he did not complain about their style of play. I understand completely why atletico play the way they do as it is their best chance of competing with Madrid and barca as well as the other top teams in Europe. Of course it is frustrating when your team is playing against it (even more so if they go a goal up), but they are entitled to play how they want.
Easier to understand when your club did similar against Barcelona, as well and to complain about it would be fairly hypocritical at this point, IMO

They lost one cheap shot artist in Costa and Godin remains but generally, they are more physical than dirty