La Liga - 2014/15

Skorenzy

The difference is that Real Madrid have been flat track bullies this season. Their performances in the big games against the top 4 has ultimately cost them the title.

La Liga top 4 Head-to-Head league

1. Barcelona - 15 points
2. Atletico Madrid - 9 points
3. Valencia - 7 points
4. Real Madrid - 4 points

I thought Bale did well today but this season playing both Bale and Ronaldo in the big games has been like playing with 9 men. Its fine against smaller teams but in the big games it has back fired time and again.

It was more or less the same last season:
- 1/6 pts against Atléti (champions)
- 0/6 pts against Barça (2nd)
- 4/6 pts against Athletic (4th)
- 3/6 pts against Sevilla (5th)
- 4/6 pts against Villarreal (6th)

That's 18pts dropped against the top-6 of the 27pts they dropped in total (after 38 matchdays), which is 67%.

This season:
- 3/6 pts against Barça (1st)
- 0/6 pts against Atléti (3rd)
- 1/6 pts against Valencia (4th)
- 4/6 pts against Sevilla (5th)
- 4/6 pts against Villarreal (6th)

That's again 18pts dropped, this time of the 22pts they have dropped in total so far (after 36 matchdays). 82%.

As you say even more so this season, but still more than two-thirds of your pts lost against top-4/5/6 could legitimately be construed as a trend, I'd say.

Very similar pattern to last year. Slow start, then Madrid steadily building a solid run, before fading again.

Is it an Ancelotti thing? Something about rotation and motivation, that means he heads into the run-in with tired/injured players? Or just bad luck, in particular the bad luck to lose Modric? Of course, it shouldn't matter, not with the money Madrid have, but in reality it does matter because they still only have 20 outfield players in the squad and Barcelona have every bit as much money, and every bit as strong a squad as them.

Could someone have done better? I doubt it. Ancelotti's calm, he doesn't wilt under the media pressure, he doesn't cause Perez trouble. Will he be there next year? He ought to be, he's the best/safest manager they can get, but who knows.

Seems, indeed, to be an Ancelotti thing, think Barça and Mourinho's RM tended to drop more pts against bottom clubs than against top teams. Also, the world's most obvious injury ever -- Kroos had been different degrees of dead on his feet since at least December, still played virtually everything. Carletto's chronic distrust of Illarra (or Lucas Silva) could have cost him the league and a CL final by mid-week.

Ixion

With the team Barca had in recent years I'd like to see how other teams would do in our place.
I reckon Athletico would have won as many titles in that time frame. Oh wait, they did.

Skorenzy

So that makes it now 4 seasons in a row where Valencia have managed a draw at the Bernabéu in the league.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
So that makes it now 4 seasons in a row where Valencia have managed a draw at the Bernabéu in the league.
And it should really have been a win today if it weren't for Negredo missing that chance at 3-1

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
I write being in a bad mood , for Madrid and for Deportivo, who is almost in second division , maybe tomorrow I will see things with different eyes.
In January the team was broken physically and still Carlo didn´t do changes in the team while Luis Enrique has been all season with rotations, Chicharito, Khedira, Illarra, Jesé, Silva could have helped more but he gave them two minutes at the end or not even that. How Lucas Silva plays? I am not even sure. Last year he did a mess with the keepers and this year has unnecessarily marginalized Keylor Navas. In all season he didn´t play Bale on the left and Chicharito has begun to play at the end. He is a very nice quiet coach,with good relationship with the press and with the players but eventually has lost two leagues. They threw it last year and this year he mismanaged the team allowing Barça´s comeback. Surely the squad can be improved but I don´t think is so bad to be playing always with the same team. I do not agree with keeping the coach for "inertia", simply because the team has fought for the titles until the end.I don´t really care about the "almost", only about the final results. In the end if they do not win the Champions League, the season will have been a disaster. What will happen if we keep Carlo? He will manage properly the squad next season? His record in liga suddenly will improve? About the players, I imagine there will be many changes and investment, especially in the midfield. Right now I would not bet on anyone to stay next year, not Cristiano, Bale or Benzema ,for age or because the club see a need for new faces to change the dynamics

Vato

Watches other men wank.Supports Real.Coincidence?
Supports
Real Madrid
not to dig the knife deeper but you won as many as atletico de madrid
I reckon Athletico would have won as many titles in that time frame. Oh wait, they did.
Oh, how people love to hate Real Madrid. Sure, we have underachieved for the money we've spend on our squad. Just a bit ironic that specifically United fans are making fun of us for this after your great season.

Fact still is, we have the biggest trophy cabinet in world football, so suck on that. ;)

Anyway, remind me to dig up these posts in a few seasons time, when you'll have won the same amount of league titles as QPR.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
There's no H in Atletico Madrid, still annoys me that English commentators pronounce it like "Athetlic-o" even the Sky Sports commentators do.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Oh, how people love to hate Real Madrid. Sure, we have underachieved for the money we've spend on our squad. Just a bit ironic that specifically United fans are making fun of us for this after your great season.

Fact still is, we have the biggest trophy cabinet in world football, so suck on that. ;)

Anyway, remind me to dig up these posts in a few seasons time, when you'll have won the same amount of league titles as QPR.
Such a childlish post.

Marcosdeto

Guess who's back?

it was a fair point, i'm not having a dig on you, i think is ridiculous how much money real madrid spent for only one liga and a CL

Vato

Supports
Real Madrid
it was a fair point, i'm not having a dig on you, i think is ridiculous how much money real madrid spent for only one liga and a CL
Like I said, winning the league is always going to be hard when you have to compete with one of the best club teams of all time™. A few months ago everyone was talking about how we were a well oiled machine that was going to win everything for years, now a few months later, we're the overpaid underachieving losers again. This place is full of captain hindsights tbh.

Just a bit pissed off today, that's all.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
The uncomfortable truth is that Barça has won 13 of the last 25 leagues , and we, 1 league in 7 years , after spending 4200 million euros in that period. The club relieved winning la décima, and although I am happy with the model (in my opinion, the same model than Barcelona, since I don´t consider that our academy is worse) , I think that proportionally the number of trophies is very low

Winrar

Vato

Supports
Real Madrid
The uncomfortable truth is that Barça has won 13 of the last 25 leagues , and we, 1 league in 7 years , after spending 4200 million euros in that period. The club relieved winning la décima, and although I am happy with the model (in my opinion, the same model than Barcelona, since I don´t consider that our academy is worse) , I think that proportionally the number of trophies is very low
Let's simultaneously jump off a cliff.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Maybe it seems strange but my personal bet is Benzema and Cristiano
I actually think offload Ronaldo is a good time to as he's hit 30 and he's not adapted to age as well as players like Robben, but the question is who do you replace him with?

The only option for Ronaldo at this stage is to play him as a #9 and then replenish the LW spot with someone like Griezmann

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
I actually think offload Ronaldo is a good time to as he's hit 30 and he's not adapted to age as well as players like Robben, but the question is who do you replace him with?

The only option for Ronaldo at this stage is to play him as a #9 and then replenish the LW spot with someone like Griezmann
I would play Bale on the left with Reus on the right, but is pure imagination of course. Anyway if they lose the C.L with Barça Florentino will be mad

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
I would play Bale on the left with Reus on the right, but is pure imagination of course. Anyway if they lose the C.L with Barça Florentino will be mad
It's hard for Perez to see that happen, however you are playing against arguably one of the GOAT players in Messi, Neymar who is probably equally talented as CR7 was (at his age), Suárez who is the best #9 in Football.

Rakitic is a dynamic player, Busquets is one of the best CDMs in football, Iniesta has found form again, I think Barcelona are the best team on the planet by some margin right now.

Trizy

It would make more sense for them to keep him, he's still hitting 50+ goals a season without looking like he's going to slow down, if they did sell him now taking age into account he'd at most go for £80m in my opinion, which is great money but no player in the world worth £40-80m will get you the same amount of goals as Ronaldo will over the next 3-4 years.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
It would make more sense for them to keep him, he's still hitting 50+ goals a season without looking like he's going to slow down, if they did sell him now taking age into account he'd at most go for £80m in my opinion, which is great money but no player in the world worth £40-80m will get you the same amount of goals as Ronaldo will over the next 3-4 years.
Which means their only option is to play him as a #9

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
Could be very risky to replace Ronaldo with Bale in that position. Don't think Bale is anywhere near as good and you will lose the only player in the world who is close to Messi in terms of goals. If its true how Bale has been struggling for Madrid you should just sell him instead.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Could be very risky to replace Ronaldo with Bale in that position. Don't think Bale is anywhere near as good and you will lose the only player in the world who is close to Messi in terms of goals. If its true how Bale has been struggling for Madrid you should just sell him instead.
Toshack said a couple of days ago that Madrid is not using properly Bale. I think that to play on the right he should be better technically. Of course Cristiano can still score many goals but Madrid philosophy is " can the player improve or has he reached his peak?", if it´s the second option, then they usually try to sell since the player has been amortized.It sounds cold but always for the benefit of the club in a time with a lot of pressure from petrol clubs. Often to sell a player is more a psychological blow , start again with new ideas. Moreover, all this is based in Madrid playing 4-3-3, but I honestly do not see Cristiano as a winger anymore. Perhaps the club think of a 4-4-2, with a forward ( without being Cristiano converted ) and get 50/60 million for him. Let´s see what Jorge Mendes wants

Last edited:

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
Toshack said a couple of days ago that Madrid is not using properly Bale. I think that to play on the right he should be better technically. Of course Cristiano can still score many goals but Madrid philosophy is " can the player improve or has he reached his peak?", if it´s the second option, then they usually try to sell since the player has been amortized.It sound cold but always for the benefit of the club in a time with a lot of pressure from petrol clubs. Often to sell a player is more a psychological blow , start again with new ideas. Moreover, all this is based in Madrid playing 4-3-3, but I honestly do not see Cristiano as a winger anymore. Perhaps the club think of a 4-4-2, with a forward ( without being Cristiano converted ) and get 50/60 million for him. Let´s see what Jorge Mendes wants
It's a good policy to sell when a player is nearing his end and still has a high market value...but it could be very difficult to make up for Ronaldo's goals. But then again look at Atletico last season...they proved that you don't need a Ronaldo/Messi to win La Liga so I guess Madrid will be fine without Ronaldo when his time is over. I don't know why Madrid didn't sign Suarez...I think he's a lot better than Benzema or Bale and he's a complete team player too like Benz.

iBoss

i-ttack the space
Illuminati headquarters, chillin' with Jay Z.

You'd probably have to replace him with Aguero + Hazard.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Maybe it seems strange but my personal bet is Benzema and Cristiano
I don't think you stand a chance if you lose Ronaldo. Messi is just too good of a player. Barcelona can cope with Iniesta on his last legs and Xavi leaving (effectively retiring). They only have to replace Dani Alves. Transfer ban won't even affect them. Selling Ronaldo would be a step down. At least for 2-3 seasons.

Selling Benzema is easier said than done. Would have to replace him with Agüero. Not sure if trying to buy all the ex-Atlético players is the best move. Fans are fickle and pricky enough as it is.

I say buy Ronaldo's replacement (if one player can be that) before selling him. He was the Ballon d'or winner only last year. What he pulls for the club commercially is 2nd to none. Messi isn't even close. Financially it would be a stupid move as the millions you'll sell for him would not be a gain because you'd lose the player at his peak and the money he brings.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
It's a good policy to sell when a player is nearing his end and still has a high market value...but it could be very difficult to make up for Ronaldo's goals. But then again look at Atletico last season...they proved that you don't need a Ronaldo/Messi to win La Liga so I guess Madrid will be fine without Ronaldo when his time is over. I don't know why Madrid didn't sign Suarez...I think he's a lot better than Benzema or Bale and he's a complete team player too like Benz.
I think that 2 years ago Madrid tried to buy Suarez but Liverpool didn´t want to negociate, then he renewed the contract and the situation changed. Madrid needs 2 good midfielders, Pogba/Verratti and some top striker, Lewandowski or Agüero, I don´t think that they will buy Chicharito and Benzema , although is very good, has problems with sloth and passivity. I would bring back Morata as well, a good madridista, competitive and likely to improve

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down

People who gloat at Madrid's misfortunes are almost certainly closet Barca fans or fans of some other Spanish club. Some just afraid to reveal it for various reasons. Most possibly because this is a United forum and "you shouldn't support more than one team" kind of attitude that many people have.

If German football would be more watched by caf members I'd expect them to get a similar treatment.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
I think that 2 years ago Madrid tried to buy Suarez but Liverpool didn´t want to negociate, then he renewed the contract and the situation changed. Madrid needs 2 good midfielders, Pogba/Verratti and some top striker, Lewandowski or Agüero, I don´t think that they will buy Chicharito and Benzema , although is very good, has problems with sloth and passivity. I would bring back Morata as well, a good madridista, competitive and likely to improve
If you had De Gea in goal he would probably manage to save at least 5 more points than Casillas. Just looking at the table right now and it seems both Barca and Madrid have scored the same number of goals (107) but Madrid conceded almost double the amount of goals (19 vs 34). I guess Madrid must concede quite a lot of chances for other teams then where a proper keeper would manage to help quite a lot.