La Liga - 2014/15

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I watched the Atletico vs Almeria game and like in all other matches I've seen them this season, Atleti are really struggling to get goals but they are the masters of grinding out a 1-0.

Koke wont get the hype that Pogba gets as he's not as flashy or athletically pleasing, but I love the way he competes and the effortless way he creates a little bit of space for himself to play an important pass in the build up. I also thought Saul Niguez looked quite good in the second half as well.
Or maybe because Pogba is better than him.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
I watched the Atletico vs Almeria game and like in all other matches I've seen them this season, Atleti are really struggling to get goals but they are the masters of grinding out a 1-0.

Koke wont get the hype that Pogba gets as he's not as flashy or athletically pleasing, but I love the way he competes and the effortless way he creates a little bit of space for himself to play an important pass in the build up. I also thought Saul Niguez looked quite good in the second half as well.
There's no shortage of hype around Koke. Xavi has already declared him to be his natural heir to the centre of Spain's midfield. United bid for him twice last season, Barcelona tried to get him in the summer. He's had three new contracts in the last 18 months and his release clause stands at €60m.

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
There's no shortage of hype around Koke. Xavi has already declared him to be his natural heir to the centre of Spain's midfield. United bid for him twice last season, Barcelona tried to get him in the summer. He's had three new contracts in the last 18 months and his release clause stands at €60m.
I really like Koke but this is true. If anything I think he's maybe become a bit overrated, haven't changed my mind on his potential but I wouldn't put him in the top bracket just need.

In my view, it's time for Simeone to start trusting him in the middle more often, that's where he'll start to flourish properly.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I really like Koke but this is true. If anything I think he's maybe become a bit overrated, haven't changed my mind on his potential but I wouldn't put him in the top bracket just need.

In my view, it's time for Simeone to start trusting him in the middle more often, that's where he'll start to flourish properly.
But surely there's a reason why Simeone doesn't like using him down the middle, which is directly linked to the way he likes his teams to set up and function. If Koke played in the middle for Atleti it would alter the balance of Simeone's system and make its spine less solid, which is why Simeone won't make the change unless circumstances force his hand. Personally speaking I'm fascinated at how Simeone has managed to make two banks of four a staple of European football again.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
They still don't have new owners. Bankia keep adding new clauses to the Lim deal. So many new clauses that Valencia fans are starting to question whether this is a deliberate action by Bankia bosses and some local politicians/businessmen to force the club into bankruptcy, allowing some people to pick it up cheap. They actually had a demonstration about it before the match last night.

Valencia's president is still insisting the deal will go through "any day now" but he's been saying that since June.

I put the background in:
https://www.redcafe.net/threads/valencia-cf.381656/page-2#post-16490216
Yeah I was thinking it was a foregone conclusion that Peter Lim was going to get it sooner than later. And I read about the demonstrations just now.

http://www.espnfc.com/spanish-primera-división/story/2055791/valencia-fans-protest-in-favour-of-peter-lims-takeover

Say Lim takes over, do you think the dynamics of Valencia could change esp transfer wise?

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
But surely there's a reason why Simeone doesn't like using him down the middle, which is directly linked to the way he likes his teams to set up and function. If Koke played in the middle for Atleti it would alter the balance of Simeone's system and make its spine less solid, which is why Simeone won't make the change unless circumstances force his hand. Personally speaking I'm fascinated at how Simeone has managed to make two banks of four a staple of European football again.
Putting Koke in the middle would make the spine less solid? I'd argue it would make it better but the flanks would be weaker. The spine is the middle you know. Unless by spine you mean their main form of scoring goals. In that way, yes the spine would change but not necessarily be less solid. Could even be stronger.

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
I'm not criticising Simeone's tactics, just think that the natural progression is to move Koke into one of the deeper roles. Doesn't even mean they have to deviate from their usual formation.

If they do that Koke will improve his ability to control games, and Atléti may start to look better against the small sides that they've struggled against this season without Diego Costa to find a goal.

Would mean they'd have to adapt their tactics, but I think they're going to have to anyway because they look a bit short on ideas so far this season. Also, Simeone has used Koke in the middle at times in the past when he's been chasing the game so I don't think he doesn't trust him there, just think he likes the more defensive duo of Gabi and Mario Suárez/Tiago with Koke out wide.

(I thought I posted this earlier but my phone must have messed up, had a few more things to say on the issue but I've forgotten them now :D)

Putting Koke in the middle would make the spine less solid? I'd argue it would make it better but the flanks would be weaker. The spine is the middle you know. Unless by spine you mean their main form of scoring goals. In that way, yes the spine would change but not necessarily be less solid. Could even be stronger.
Yes it would make their spine less solid for the reasons highlighted in Bob's post below:

I'm not criticising Simeone's tactics, just think that the natural progression is to move Koke into one of the deeper roles. Doesn't even mean they have to deviate from their usual formation.

If they do that Koke will improve his ability to control games, and Atléti may start to look better against the small sides that they've struggled against this season without Diego Costa to find a goal.

Would mean they'd have to adapt their tactics, but I think they're going to have to anyway because they look a bit short on ideas so far this season. Also, Simeone has used Koke in the middle at times in the past when he's been chasing the game so I don't think he doesn't trust him there, just think he likes the more defensive duo of Gabi and Mario Suárez/Tiago with Koke out wide.

(I thought I posted this earlier but my phone must have messed up, had a few more things to say on the issue but I've forgotten them now :D)
I'm not saying Simeone doesn't trust Koke in centre midfield, I'm saying (as you point out) he prefers to have the security of Gabi and a.nother's hard running, tackling and work ethic in the middle. As you know, the doggedness of Atleti's midfield provides the basis for the likes of Koke and Arda to go forward and support their attackers. Koke is a Simeone player so he is willing and able to muck in, but his game is naturally more expansive than Simeone's other centre midfield options. The way Simeone lines up his midfield allows Koke, and the other forward thinking players in his squad, the freedom to concentrate more on attacking than defending. I think that's the best way to use him. While I accept he's not a David Silva/Juan Mata type who wouldn't suit #8, I don't think you want to give Koke the responsibility of protecting the back four or tracking runners.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
I know what you mean. I'd argue however that in most games, like against the likes of Almería and Granada where they seem to be struggling, putting him in midfield next to Gabi would be the way to go. If we were to play like Atlético it would be like us playing always with Fletcher and Carrick in midfield. We know first hand that the midfield can be better without sacrificing the offence. He's brought in Griezemann and Cerci to play on the flanks with Mandzukic replacing Costa. I don't know why he bought them if he's not going to use them to their full power. It's pretty strong to play Mandzukic up front with Koke and Gabi in midfield and Griezmann, Turan and Raúl García ahead of them. That still leaves him Cerci. He's struggling for goals and the reason for that is largely because of the midfield duo that he's using.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Yeah I was thinking it was a foregone conclusion that Peter Lim was going to get it sooner than later. And I read about the demonstrations just now.

http://www.espnfc.com/spanish-primera-división/story/2055791/valencia-fans-protest-in-favour-of-peter-lims-takeover

Say Lim takes over, do you think the dynamics of Valencia could change esp transfer wise?
The fans hope he'll invest in the new stadium, the team and clear the debts. But he is a football businessman so it won't all be plain sailing. I can imagine certain Lim/Mendes clients being parked at Valencia as a shop window for example - as long as that's the only thing they do I doubt many Valencia fans will protest.

It's still a better scenario than the one they've faced this past few years, or the alternatives offered so far. Atletico, for example, are another Lim/Mendes project though not directly as owners/shareholders and they've been able to use it as a stepping stone to a better and more stable structure.

Matchday 6 - 27 Sep

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
I said it was all Liga, all the time this week and so it continues with match 6.

Tonight - All times UK
Elche v Celta de Vigo 20:00

Sat 27 Sep 2014 - Spanish La Liga
Barcelona v Granada CF 17:00
Villarreal v Real Madrid 15:00
Atl Madrid v Sevilla 19:00
Ath Bilbao v Eibar 21:00
Levante v Rayo Vallecano 21:00

Sun 28 Sep 2014 - Spanish La Liga
Getafe v Málaga 11:00
Deportivo de La Coruña v Almería 16:00
Real Sociedad v Valencia 18:00
Córdoba v Espanyol 20:00

La Liga after 5 games:
Valencia, Barcelona, Sevilla have 13 points
Atletico has 11
Real Madrid and Celta have 9
Villareal and Granada have 8
Eibar has 7 :D
Everybody else has less

Annoyingly, I have to miss what I suspect will be the best Liga match of the weekend. I'll just have to console myself with the fact I can watch Atletico-Sevilla afterwards, and that Athletic-Eibar is such a big game in the history of Eibar that it will be worth watching as well.

Last edited:

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
I said it was all Liga, all the time this week and so it continues with match 6.

Tonight - All times UK
Elche v Celta de Vigo 20:00

Sat 27 Sep 2014 - Spanish La Liga
Barcelona v Granada CF 17:00
Villarreal v Real Madrid 15:00
Atl Madrid v Sevilla 19:00
Ath Bilbao v Eibar 21:00
Levante v Rayo Vallecano 21:00

Sun 28 Sep 2014 - Spanish La Liga
Getafe v Málaga 11:00
Deportivo de La Coruña v Almería 16:00
Real Sociedad v Valencia 18:00
Córdoba v Espanyol 20:00

La Liga after 5 games:
Valencia, Barcelona, Sevilla have 13 points
Atletico has 11
Real Madrid and Celta have 9
Villareal and Granada have
Eibar has 7 :D
Everybody else has less

Annoyingly, I have to miss what I suspect will be the best Liga match of the weekend. I'll just have to console myself with the fact I can watch Atletico-Sevilla afterwards, and that Athletic-Eibar is such a big game in the history of Eibar that it will be worth watching as well.
What a weekend in La Liga (and even in the PL). Annoyingly I am at the Oktoberfest :D so will miss out on all games :(
But hopefully we'll still manage to get into an Irish pub in the city tomorrow for the United game!

I know what you mean. I'd argue however that in most games, like against the likes of Almería and Granada where they seem to be struggling, putting him in midfield next to Gabi would be the way to go. If we were to play like Atlético it would be like us playing always with Fletcher and Carrick in midfield. We know first hand that the midfield can be better without sacrificing the offence. He's brought in Griezemann and Cerci to play on the flanks with Mandzukic replacing Costa. I don't know why he bought them if he's not going to use them to their full power. It's pretty strong to play Mandzukic up front with Koke and Gabi in midfield and Griezmann, Turan and Raúl García ahead of them. That still leaves him Cerci. He's struggling for goals and the reason for that is largely because of the midfield duo that he's using.
Fair points.

Devil may care

Or maybe because Pogba is better than him.
Perhaps, but I think it is more a Gerrard vs Scholes type of thing stylistically.

When I say hype I was meaning from football fans, you don't see various supporters clamourng for their side to sign Koke or him listed as highly as Pogba when it comes to the best young CM's in Europe by fans, the clubs clearly see his value though I agree.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Ronaldo on the scoresheet again (surprise, surprise) great assist Benzema.
I do wonder if this is gonna last this season.

He always starts off ridiculously and then obviously it tails off (because it's practically impossible to keep up such a rate over 30+ games) but he's just absolutely on fire isn't he?

Vato

Watches other men wank.Supports Real.Coincidence?
Supports
Real Madrid

He always starts off ridiculously and then obviously it tails off (because it's practically impossible to keep up such a rate over 30+ games) but he's just absolutely on fire isn't he?
It's ridiculous right now.

Raul Madrid

That is because he get's injured, not necessarily due to his form dropping off. If he is rotated properly and can avoid injuries I see no reason why he cannot keep this form up. In the 10/11 and 11/12 seasons he maintained great goalscoring form throughout pretty much the whole campaign (there was only a short drop-off in 10-11 due to injury but he recovered quickly after).

DixieDean

Everton Fan
Supports
Everton
I think it usually only happens when they have UCL fixtures mid-week. Outside that its usually an evening KO
Cheers. Just seems to be happening more this season. I used to like watching them of an evening and keep missing them now.

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
The fixture organisers have said it's a decision they made. Real Madrid, Atlético Madrid and Barcelona will all play at 3pm at least once per month now, apparently.

OneUnited24

Cheers. Just seems to be happening more this season. I used to like watching them of an evening and keep missing them now.
I know what you mean, todays been a full day of football for me and i was hoping to catch some La Liga game after the Asnl-tottenham game...

The spanish can be so selfish sometimes!

Supports
Barcelona
We- barca- are shit.

Complacency and lack of creativity continue from last season.

TheShedEnd

Anti-Football WUM
Supports
Chelsea
Neymar appears to have gone into extra selfish mode so far this season, no wonder he's been subbed so many times. Always trying to dribble his way to goal, failing miserably at times, not passing when he should either. Messi looks a bit pissed off with him at times.

Skorenzy

Xavi-Dani Alves-Messi combo for Messi's 400th senior goal, had to be. Brilliant team goal.