La Liga - 2014/15

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
You missed him playing as a false 9/wing forward?

Plus I think its more about the tactics than playing position. He would have been perfect for you lot or us as well but sadly chelsea got him :(
No, I seen him play as a false 9 - for Spain and for Barcelona when Messi was injured (plus 1 game when Messi played too under Martino and a sporadic few under Pep). The wing forward thing never really happened though.

Agree about tactics though. But as I said why would they build around Cesc with the players they have? He's better at Chelsea as you say, partly because he's the main man now and partly because he suits the direct style.

TheShedEnd

Anti-Football WUM
Supports
Chelsea
IMO, Barcelona's mentality and formation needs an overhaul.

If you're going to play Messi deep, play Suarez and Neymar up front. Alba is an absoloute must in that side, and they need to start putting the effort in and work hard to cut off the oppostions attack.

Put the 2010 Barcelona out there tonight and they'd have cut off 90% of those Barcelona attacks but defending as a unit and suffocating the space.

MJJ

No, I seen him play as a false 9 - for Spain and for Barcelona when Messi was injured (plus 1 game when Messi played too under Martino and a sporadic few under Pep). The wing forward thing never really happened though.

Agree about tactics though. But as I said why would they build around Cesc with the players they have? He's better at Chelsea as you say, partly because he's the main man now and partly because he suits the direct style.
I think with xavi and iniesta fading, they needed to change their style a bit and cesc would have benefited them hugely. Can you imagine messi/suarez/neymar making runs while cesc fed them? Is droolworthy.

You wouldnt have to build around him per se, just adjust the style a bit kinda like spain 08 to suit him. I mean why buy him in the first place if you are going to negate his best qualities.

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
I think with xavi and iniesta fading, they needed to change their style a bit and cesc would have benefited them hugely. Can you imagine messi/suarez/neymar making runs while cesc fed them? Is droolworthy.

You wouldnt have to build around him per se, just adjust the style a bit kinda like spain 08 to suit him. I mean why buy him in the first place if you are going to negate his best qualities.
I think they expected to adapt far better than he did. In theory it looked like he had all the attributes needed to replace Xavi but I guess he couldn't develop the mindset that Xavi has.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
I think they expected to adapt far better than he did. In theory it looked like he had all the attributes needed to replace Xavi but I guess he couldn't develop the mindset that Xavi has.
The fans never warmed to him either. I don't know what happened there, they were happy enough to get him back. I don't think it helped him that Barca lost to Madrid for La Liga the first season he was there. I don't think that the gossip press rumours that Pep had him on the "for sale" list helped. At any rate, even when he played well, he got little praise. And when the team played poorly, he was often the scapegoat.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
If you're English, Xavi sounds more like "Shavy" (shabby with more of a B/V sound) or possibly "Shabbee" (especially if the commentator is excited) than anything else. Obviously that's because the English suck at hearing foreign languages, but still, that's the best I can do.

Last edited:

fallengt

The fans never warmed to him either. I don't know what happened there, they were happy enough to get him back. I don't think it helped him that Barca lost to Madrid for La Liga the first season he was there. I don't think that the gossip press rumours that Pep had him on the "for sale" list helped. At any rate, even when he played well, he got little praise. And when the team played poorly, he was often the scapegoat.
- He's adapted to English football (more directness) and lost his sense for their style
- Completely faded in big matches. Like 90% of the times.
- Make zero impact coming off the bench. The only option for their coaches (Pep/Tito/Tata) was start him or not at all, he rarely made any impact as a tactical sub.

Barca's football isn't something people can adapt it easily, many good players failed there: Ibrahimovic, Sanchez, David Villa to name a few, could be Suarez next. Cesc is a good player no doubt but not for Barca ( see 1).

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Villa(before his injury) didn't failed for Barcelona at all. He was perfect for the left sided role in a front three.

Devil may care

Very entertaining match between Barca and Real that was minus the usual pantomime silliness. I thought Pepe, Carvajal, Ramos, Modric and Isco were fantastic and were quicker and more aggressive than their Barca counterparts to almost every ball. Carvajal in particular has really impressed me, he's a real powerhouse and defending seems to be his strength as opposed to something optional in his RB role. Isco, much like on Wednesday, was also fantastic in breaking things up in midfield and then setting off attacks.

I think Luis Enrique made a mistake putting the older legs of Xavi and Iniesta in there and also playing Suarez. The Messi and Neymar partnership has been thriving for them, this wasn't the game to go changing it.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Well done Real Madrid. Don't want Barca to win much with Suarez.
Above all good news for Atletico that Barca lost points.

I also don't rate Luis Enrique much as manager. Wonder when Barca will go for a proper manager again.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
It seems I have equally underrated Madrid and overrated Barca this season.

This intelligence in Real’s team is outstanding, they play with great cohesion too.
Been very impressed with Modric and Kroos' defensive contributions for the past two games.

Ancelotti really deserve credit for making it work despite not playing a single defensive midfielder.
This. I am really surprised.

Real Madrid players also put great shift defensively, beside Ronaldo everybody was working their socks off, really impressed by Isco in that matter. Fantastic player.

I was really disappointed with Messi, shocking performance by his standards. And people say he looks like not fully fit while playing full games for some time (tells a lot about him under-performing).

Anyway, I’m very happy with the result. Front three of Suarez-Neymar-Messi still looks the best in the world and I thought they will walk the league. I guess in every other team the midfielders would be trying to release them on the counter, but that’s Barca.

Great game.

Skorenzy

Getafe out-assholing Atléti in this game, some feat... on the other side Mandzukic at the centre of it all again :lol: in that sense he's certainly replaced Diego Costa perfectly. There'd been a lot of "conflict" at Atléti corners all game and their goal came from one where Getafe felt wronged... of course scored by Mandzukic.

His marker, Alexis Ruano, had enough of it so decided to just punch him in the face, straight red for that and he didn't even look like he minded that much... after, when Mandzukic was lying on the ground getting treatment, another Getafe DF (Juan Rodríguez) stepped on his leg on purpose which the ref didn't notice.. Dirty, dirty.

Skorenzy

Atléti hold on to claim 3pts... Getafe even down to 10 men showed a very spirited fightback in the final quarter of the game. Yoda (who scored both goals v La Real last week) very impressive, Velázquez and Escudero very solid in DF. The table is looking brilliant at the top now.

1. FC Barcelona, 22pts
2. Sevilla, 22pts
3. Real Madrid, 21pts
4. Valencia, 20pts
5. Atlético, 20pts
6. Celta, 16pts

Sevilla somehow keep winning, didn't see their game v Villarreal today but saw that they recovered after going 1-0 down in the 80th minute. Their Barça loanees, Denis Suárez and Deulofeu, seem to be doing well. So too new signing Krychowiak.
Also who would've guessed Eibar being the best performing Basque side so far?

Pichichi,
1. Cristiano, 16 goals (5 pen.)
2. Neymar, 9 goals (0 pen.)
3. Messi, 7 goals (0 pen.)
4. Bacca, 7 goals (3 pen.)
5. Larrivey, 6 goals (0 pen.)

Assists,
1. Messi, 7 assists
2. Koke, 5 assists
3. Kroos, 5 assists
4. Isco, 4 assists
5. James, 4 assists

Zamora,
1. Bravo, 0.33
2. Diego Alves, 0.57
3. Moyà, 1.00
4. Irureta, 1.00
5. Asenjo, 1.00

fontaine

Ful Ful Ful Member Full Member Full Member
Its ridiculous how babied Madrid are by the federation. First they don't even consider punishing Ronaldo for punching Godin in the face twice, but suspend Simeone in the same match.

Now they don't give any individual player awards to the CHAMPION Atletico Madrid, yet Real who finished 3rd, gets loads of prizes.

Pathetic, I cannot fathom how can anyone cheer for Franco's team in this forum, makes me sick

fishfingers15

Contributes to username and tagline changes
Its ridiculous how babied Madrid are by the federation. First they don't even consider punishing Ronaldo for punching Godin in the face twice, but suspend Simeone in the same match.

Now they don't give any individual player awards to the CHAMPION Atletico Madrid, yet Real who finished 3rd, gets loads of prizes.

Pathetic, I cannot fathom how can anyone cheer for Franco's team in this forum, makes me sick
Give me Atletico Madrid anyday over Real

Rykker_4united

Supports
Keep Rodgers at Pool.

Pretty shocking stuff isn't it

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Shocking that only Simeone from Atletico won the manager of the season award. Of course totally deserved. But his players should have won a couple at least, too!

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Give me Atletico Madrid anyday over Real
You mean you prefer Athletic Aviación de Madrid, the Francoist Air Force team that won 4 Ligas in the first 12 years of his rule?

It's always worth cheering Rayo Vallecano instead. They're a Madrid team that emerges (largely) unblemished from the Franco era. If only because they didn't get promoted to Liga 1 until after he died.

fishfingers15

You mean you prefer Athletic Aviación de Madrid, the Francoist Air Force team that won 4 Ligas in the first 12 years of his rule?

It's always worth cheering Rayo Vallecano instead. They're a Madrid team that emerges (largely) unblemished from the Franco era. If only because they didn't get promoted to Liga 1 until after he died.
I'm sorry jojojo, I'm pretty sure fontaine was being sarcastic with his Franco team. Personally I like Atletico Madrid more than Real Madrid. Actually, I'd like to see other teams apart from Real and Barca win in La Liga. I'm not emotionally invested in La Liga to figure out Franco supporting and Franco neutral teams to be fair.

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Its ridiculous how babied Madrid are by the federation.

Not sure there is as much support as perhaps you perceive there to be, but let's say there is, I would suggest that many aren't quite as aware of, or sensitive to, all the Franco links to the team (and city generally?). It's a part of European history that is generally not so well known outside of Spain I would venture.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
I'm sorry jojojo, I'm pretty sure fontaine was being sarcastic with his Franco team. Personally I like Atletico Madrid more than Real Madrid. Actually, I'd like to see other teams apart from Real and Barca win in La Liga. I'm not emotionally invested in La Liga to figure out Franco supporting and Franco neutral teams to be fair.
In my case, it's not about an emotional investment in La Liga, it's about trying to avoid trivialising Spanish history. The Civil War and the years of fascism left their mark on individuals, families and on Spain. I don't like seeing edited versions of it used to build up/knockdown football clubs or their fans.

At it's most basic, if you were in any sense a public figure, you toed the line or you were jailed (or worse). Football leaders had to collaborate to survive - that they did so with different degrees of willingness is obvious, but no club emerges either 100% dirty and 100% clean from the period.

History is a complicated, judgmental and often partisan business, but survival from week to week and decision to decision, for the people living through it, can be strewn with errors and compromise.

Matchday 10 - 31 Oct and Madrid go top

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
La Liga this weekend.

Tonight (from the BBC, so all times are UK)
Deportivo de La Coruña v Getafe 19:45

Sat 1 Nov 2014 - Spanish La Liga
Granada CF v Real Madrid 15:00
Barcelona v Celta de Vigo 19:00
Atl Madrid v Córdoba 17:00
Real Sociedad v Málaga 21:00

Sun 2 Nov 2014 - Spanish La Liga
Ath Bilbao v Sevilla 11:00
Villarreal v Valencia 16:00
Levante v Almería 18:00
Elche v Espanyol 20:00

Mon 3 Nov 2014 - Spanish La Liga
Rayo Vallecano v Eibar 19:45

No real stand out games. I suspect Villareal-Valencia will be the most interesting one and Athletic-Sevilla is a chance to see if Atletic really are starting to recover from their horrible start.

Incidentally, we're a quarter of the way through the season and two points separate the top 5 teams. Not much breathing space up there and we're now into the realms of draws looking like defeats for the frontrunners.

fishfingers15

In my case, it's not about an emotional investment in La Liga, it's about trying to avoid trivialising Spanish history. The Civil War and the years of fascism left their mark on individuals, families and on Spain. I don't like seeing edited versions of it used to build up/knockdown football clubs or their fans.

At it's most basic, if you were in any sense a public figure, you toed the line or you were jailed (or worse). Football leaders had to collaborate to survive - that they did so with different degrees of willingness is obvious, but no club emerges either 100% dirty and 100% clean from the period.

History is a complicated, judgmental and often partisan business, but survival from week to week and decision to decision, for the people living through it, can be strewn with errors and compromise.
All of which has nothing to do with me preferring Atletico Madrid over Real.

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
That took long. Hadn't started watching...not sure I'll even bother now :D

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Real playing really well. Great play

Sly

Hang Ten