La Liga - 2014/15

fontaine

Ful Ful Ful Member Full Member Full Member
The Luis Enrique appoitment is so stupid

if Barça are full of money, just play 4-4-2 like rest of Europe with Neymar behind an expensive striker, midfielders who can defend and attack like Vidal and a proper back 4

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
It's all about balance. Madrid have great balance. The system is really working. Barcelona create chances yeah, but the balance and fluidity is just not there. The gaps between midfield and defence, the lack of composure in midfield, the passing options, just all look like a team that needs direction. Louis Enrique has a lot to prove. I'm not sure why Barca don't go for top managers, let's see what he shows this season but they have a lot of systemic issues

wr8_utd

:'(
That's one of the most bizarre games I'll see in a while. Barca were poor and yet could and should have scored around 7 and yet somehow ended up losing 0-1

Snake Plissken

Aka LTS10
It's all about balance. Madrid have great balance. The system is really working. Barcelona create chances yeah, but the balance and fluidity is just not there. The gaps between midfield and defence, the lack of composure in midfield, the passing options, just all look like a team that needs direction. Louis Enrique has a lot to prove. I'm not sure why Barca don't go for top managers, let's see what he shows this season but they have a lot of systemic issues
far too far up their own arse and stupidly thinking they can appoint a younger coach/former player and recreate the Guardiola effect.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Hilarious that Talksport had this game as an exclusive radio broadcast as it was Suarez home debut and they lost. What a letdown. :lol:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
far too far up their own arse and stupidly thinking they can appoint a younger coach/former player and recreate the Guardiola effect.
When he was appointed I'd heard that Enrique was more from the guardiola school of tactis, but barca really look like a poorly managed team right now. They used to always give the guy on the ball three paasing options. Now players are rotting crowded out, and gaps between different parts of the team's is huge.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Poor performance from Barca but let's be honest I think they at least deserved a draw. They hit the bar 3 or 4 times, had one or two chances cleared off the line and a few great chances (namely the header for Messi from a Suarez cross, Neymar's header from someone's cross early in the first half, Suarez's header from Pedro's cross in the second half etc) throughout the match.

It was a bit of a smash and grab from Celta but they thoroughly deserved that point. They were resolute in defense and their keeper had a great game. Ultimately Barca were let down by their finishing, a bit ironic since they had Messi, Suarez and Neymar on the pitch. It just says a lot that they can still create so many chances from such a poor performance.

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
those 3 years working under Bielsa gave Eduardo Berizzo all the tools to be a successful manager. In just 4 years he is making quite a nice career. This Celta team is playing some nice football this season.

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
Missed the game. Sounds like Barcelona had a stinker? Shocked by the result!

Annahnomoss

Messi centrally and Suarez on the right doesn't work at all really. In the form Messi is in right now they should probably play him as an attacking midfielder instead because he can't impose himself on matches as consistently anymore. When they switched to the 4-4-2, Suarez was capable of working his way to get on the ball way superior to Messi who mostly walked around until the ball hit his feet. Even in poor form he is a great footballer, but Barcelona wouldn't be much worse without him today and that isn't something you say after many of his matches.

Thought Suarez looked better when he was moved centrally than Messi to be fair, even if Suarez was extremely rusty in his touches and passes he still fought his heart out to try at least. Messi looks like he can't be bothered really.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Real and Atletico have miles better managers and tactics than Barca. Hopefully Real have a couple of "shocking/surprise" results so Atletico can take advantage :D
Atletico this season are also scoring more than their so far typical "only 1 or 2 goals per game", which is remarkable as both Costa and Villa left. But they have spent the money they got from Chelsea very well!

Vato

Watches other men wank.Supports Real.Coincidence?
Supports
Real Madrid
Just got back from a poker tourney to see Barca has lost at home! Fantastic!

Top of the league! Until tomorrow at least...

Vato

Watches other men wank.Supports Real.Coincidence?
Supports
Real Madrid
Strange how everyone was saying the opposite just a few weeks ago! After our bad league start everyone was calling us a circus like usual and blaming it on our new 'toy' James and Di Maria's departure.

How things change, huh?

Raul Madrid

Strange how everyone was saying the opposite just a few weeks ago! After our bad league start everyone was calling us a circus like usual and blaming it on our new 'toy' James and Di Maria's departure.

How things change, huh?
Yup. So much credit has to go to Ancelotti. He is a great problem solver and is excellent at adapting to situations that mostly are not created by himself but rather his overzealous, big spending club owners. He really knows how to get the best out of the players he has and what formation, playing style and tactics suit the players the most and is very flexible in this regard and does not rely on one formation or style of play. For example our weakness in a lightweight midfield (ie the lack of a top class ball winner) is covered by having the whole team work, press and track back relentlessly. So many people (myself included) were worried about how the team would shape up this year after our silly transfer window but Ancelotti has once again found a formation that suits the team and he has done it much earlier than he did last season and hopefully as a result Madrid win the league as well as go far in Europe this season. After our bad start this year (which I attribute more to the team having to adapt after new player were brought in and key players leaving which was not Ancelotti's fault) Ancelotti has managed to turn things around once again like he did last year.

JSArsenal

I see Casillas is starting every week now.

How has he been? Is he getting back to his old self that he's won back his place or is Navas carrying some type of injury?

Raul Madrid

I see Casillas is starting every week now.

How has he been? Is he getting back to his old self that he's won back his place or is Navas carrying some type of injury?
He has been doing well for the most part and made a game deciding save last week vs Messi, but mistakes have been creeping into his game over the last few years and they do not seem to be going away. While still being a very good keeper, he is a far cry from the Casillas who used to single-handedly keep Madrid in games years ago. Ancelotti seems to be persisting with him simply to keep the squad, fans and media happy as it is a big call to drop the captain and club icon but it is a bit strange as he was willing to drop him last year in the league. At the moment the team is defending well and keeping clean sheets and Casillas is making some good saves albeit still struggling with crosses and when he has to leave his line. I do not see him improving in this regard (even in his heyday they were not his strongpoints but they were not the glaring weaknesses that they are now) and eventually he will be phased out of the team but it is hard to say when.

During the summer I expected Navas to be starting over him but here we are in November and he is still playing. I guess as long as the team is playing well and winning and he is making good saves he will keep his place and will continue to do so until he starts hindering the team and becomes a regular liability where it would become obvious to even the most die-hard Casillas fans in the crowd, media and dressing room that he has to be dropped. But at the moment that is not the case so he will be keeping his place and imo having two goalkeepers competing for a spot is good as it keeps you on your toes. I think he has benefitted from having Navas to compete with and if Navas ever does become a starter he knows that he has to be on form and at his best or he will be dropped.

Last edited:

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool

How things change, huh?
To be fair...A lot of people, and I include myself in this, were saying that the current Real Madrid side lacked balance under Carlo Ancelotti. They were also saying that they needed to improve defensively, but I don't think anyone was writing them off. I think most people wanted to see how it turned out with last summer's changes.

Think @Raul Madrid sums it up perfectly though. Not just the Casillas issue but how Ancelotti has got the team playing very well. I hope it crashes down around him but so far the signs are good.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Messi centrally and Suarez on the right doesn't work at all really. In the form Messi is in right now they should probably play him as an attacking midfielder instead because he can't impose himself on matches as consistently anymore. When they switched to the 4-4-2, Suarez was capable of working his way to get on the ball way superior to Messi who mostly walked around until the ball hit his feet. Even in poor form he is a great footballer, but Barcelona wouldn't be much worse without him today and that isn't something you say after many of his matches.

Thought Suarez looked better when he was moved centrally than Messi to be fair, even if Suarez was extremely rusty in his touches and passes he still fought his heart out to try at least. Messi looks like he can't be bothered really.
They should switch to diamond. Messi behind the front two of Neymar and Suarez.

Annahnomoss

They should switch to diamond. Messi behind the front two of Neymar and Suarez.
Definitely. It is so glaringly obvious that it is a better solution than placing one of the worlds best strikers as a right winger. The interesting question will be whether Messi accepts a compromised role, for the better of the team or if he refuses and they are forced to continue playing the worlds best striker as a right winger.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Definitely. It is so glaringly obvious that it is a better solution than placing one of the worlds best strikers as a right winger. The interesting question will be whether Messi accepts a compromised role, for the better of the team or if he refuses and they are forced to continue playing the worlds best striker as a right winger.
It won't necessarily be a compromised role. Messi still would be playing the most important role in that formation. Not a critical one like false 9 but important none the less. His finishing has also regressed so unless he is goal hungry he should sit back and rake up assists.

Annahnomoss

It won't necessarily be a compromised role. Messi still would be playing the most important role in that formation. Not a critical one like false 9 but important none the less. His finishing has also regressed so unless he is goal hungry he should sit back and rake up assists.
Meant compromised as in he won't get the same credits for everything if Suarez and Neymar become the teams goalscorers. Would be hard to see him top Ronaldo in the Ballon's unless Ronaldo degenerates too.

Skorenzy

Impressive performance by Celta, so that means they've come away from the Calderón (2-2), San Mamés (1-1) and Camp Nou (1-0) with 5/9pts this season. Sergio Álvarez has been in excellent form of late as well, he was brilliant v Depor and Atléti and now made at least 2 world class saves in this game (on Messi and Suárez). The trio of Nolito (really deserved that player of the month award for September!), Orellana and Krohn-Dehli keep performing on a tremendous level and Larrivey with his 7th goal in 9 starts looking like a great fit.

Ironically, Barça's MF has become their most glaring weakness this season, it just gets completely bypassed because it doesn't have the ability to control anymore and without the ball it isn't doing any better than last year's version (Rakitic is a step up in terms of energy and pressing, but the decline of Busquets negates that) -- only now will it really become clear how key peak Xavi was. With better finishing Barça could've won this game (again Messi of the past two years has regressed so much in his finishing, dito on the free-kicks), but that wouldn't have masked the issues they're suffering from: the burden of chance creation has been shifted almost solely onto Messi (and to a lesser extent the other two FWs) which is absurdly naive from Luis Enrique and so far it has completely missed the intended effect of strengthening them defensively without the ball, because regardless of the low amount of goals conceded (even though the trend against very top teams is already clear: 3 goals shipped both times) they have looked vulnerable because they are far less in control of most games. Guardiola always knew that this team's biggest issue was when they didn't have the ball, Lucho is trying to adress that by (unintentionally?) sacrificing the control they did have in favour of better preparedness without the ball -- and so far it's backfiring.

I called it somewhile back in this thread I think (or another La Liga-related one) that Barça would struggle in the big games (PSG, RM, check) and away games (Villarreal, Málaga, even Rayo, check) this season, but this one was pretty unexpected even though Celta have been excellent for several months now, stretching back to last season. They've had the Bernabéu now, but worryingly all the other top sides aways still to come apart from El Madrigal.

Kudos to Ancelotti though really, after that horrendous start to the season and with the influx of offensive players... he's still managed to make it work without stepping on anyone (influential)'s toes. That said, also not entirely convinced of them in the big games, but more out of defensive concerns alone rather than Barça where the issue is a dysfunctional spine.

those 3 years working under Bielsa gave Eduardo Berizzo all the tools to be a successful manager. In just 4 years he is making quite a nice career. This Celta team is playing some nice football this season.
Actually, rather ironically, Celta started playing very well and a lot like they're doing currently last season under Luis Enrique already, but in truth Berizzo has probably improved them even more so far. Excellent job indeed.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Athletic leading Sevilla 1-0. Athletic were dancing with the relegation contenders until last week, a win today will get them out of the bottom third.

A win for Sevilla however would put them top of La Liga. I switched on the game just after Athletic scored (12th minute) and Sevilla have looked much the better team since then. But just as I'm about to post this Athletic start to wake up and Sevilla's defence throw a wobble. Still 1-0 but I can't see it staying that way.

Sly

Hang Ten
Scout
Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Valência leading 3-0 at Villareal with 77 mins. Nuno and the team continue to impress. I hope Lim doesn't forget to come for Enzo Pérez in january ;)

Joemo

whistling in the wind
Mustafi has been a real great buy for Valencia. Wasn't he only like 8 million Euro from Sampdoria?

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Fairly obvious Messi won't accept anything from Enrique.

CLARiiON

Mes que un Gloryhunter
Supports
Barcelona
2 points separate top 5! When was the last time the table so close after 10 matches?

Though I expect this to change drastically as season goes on.

Raul Madrid

2 points separate top 5! When was the last time the table so close after 10 matches?

Though I expect this to change drastically as season goes on.
I am sure that Atletico's great season last year has given a lot of the other teams hope and has shown them the way forward. Atletico have proven that great management, organisation, hard work, doing the basics well such as defending properly and keeping clean sheets in addition to taking full advantage of set pieces will take you far and make you a formidable team. I am not saying that Valencia or Sevilla should be winning the title or even pushing for it till late on in the season, but they can do better than they have been and can give more. Atletico's exploits have shown this. These teams have also proven their quality in the Europa league and have shown that they are better than their counterparts in the Premiership as well as other leagues so they definitely have it in them.

Matchday 11 - 8 Nov

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
La Liga this weekend is already underway, in fact
Córdoba 0 - 0 Deportivo de La Coruña FT

Sat 8 Nov 2014 - Spanish La Liga - all times UK
Almería v Barcelona 15:00
Real Madrid v Rayo Vallecano 19:00
Getafe v Elche 17:00
Celta de Vigo v Granada CF 21:00
Málaga v Eibar 21:00

Sun 9 Nov 2014 - Spanish La Liga
Sevilla v Levante 11:00
Espanyol v Villarreal 16:00
Valencia v Ath Bilbao 18:00
Real Sociedad v Atl Madrid 20:00

Two points separate first from fifth in La Liga and last week's 1 and 2 are this week's 4th and 5th, so the pressure is on the whole top 5 to keep winning. Most interesting match is probably Valencia Vs Athletic. Athletic are finally starting to pick up some form and Valencia are actually looking like a top 4 team again.

Real Sociedad go into their match with Atletico with the youth team staff running the first team. Their president has confirmed they've spoken with Pepe Mel and David Moyes amongst others over the past couple of weeks. But, he says that they don't want to rush to make an appointment, they want a manager for the club, not just someone to get them through the season.

Skorenzy

Terrible opening quarter of an hour for Barça away to Almería... they've progressively become worse since losing the clásico, if they were quite unlucky v Celta they were very often out of control against Ajax (before Veltman was sent off anyway) and only Messi really posing any threat... but this game, they've literally not looked in control at any point so far. No orchestrator in the centre and the MF looks clueless, think I've seen them launch more long balls in these 25 minutes than during Guardiola's entire tenure.

edit: of course just as I say that, they create a glorious chance... and Messi once again missing a sitter with his head (that's number 3 this season), hitting the underside of the bar :lol: Barça looking more in control the last 4-5 minutes now.

Ruht

Barca fans on my twitter seem unimpressed by their team as of late. Wonder if Luis Enrique might get sacked before Christmas? Are they that terrible, haven't seen much from them this season so I can only go off of others' comments.