La Liga 2016/17

Status
Not open for further replies.

PedroMendez

Acolyte
Getting Bacca and Aleix Vidal on the cheap would be exceptional. The whole thing with Aleix Vidal and Barca is weird. It is almost like they never watched him play before they bought him. Why would Barca want N’Zonzi? He’d probably end up playing CB or FB for them…

Simeone really struggles to ease new players into the team. It worked with Griezmann, Carrasco and Oblak (+maybe Savic/Torres) but almost every other transfer turned out rather disappointing. Alderweireld, Mandzukic, Vietto, Jackson, Cerci, Jimenez, Gamez, Ansaldi, Siqueira, Baston, Kranevitter, Leo Baptistao. And now Gaitan, Vrsaliko and Gameiro. Guys like Thomas, Saul or Correa are also not setting the world on fire (Saul only got into the team, because Tiago got injured…). Some of these players are just not good enough, but Alderweireld, Jackson and Gameiro are quality (Mandzukic was too slow for them).
The core of the defense and midfield didn’t change at all and he never found a replacement for Costa as CF. He is still doing a fantastic job and is imo the best manager in the world. Yet making the transition from one generation to the next is always tricky and sometimes managers need to move on to change things up. Simeone thinks about that IMO as well; why would he have reduced the length of his contract otherwise?
They have an very talented squad; they could almost start only with u25 players and could come up with a reasonably competitive lineup (ignoring that I shoehorned Griezmann into the role as CF). They just need to trust some of these players.
Carrasco – Griezmann – Correa
Koke – Saul – Thomas
X – Gimenez – Lucas/Savic – Vrsaljko
Oblak

Anyway, I enjoy that they mixed things up at the top of the league (and CL) and that they play differently compared to other top teams. They really add something to the world of football and I hope, that they continue to do so. I am not from Spain, so I don’t really care about the attitude of their fans. Hopefully they can finish 4th ahead of Barca. :angel:

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Simeone is an excellent manager but he does seem to have issues with getting the best out of as many signings as possible. But in fairness to him, this is a problem 99% of managers have, it's not exclusive to Simeone.

SfcNervion

Supports
Sevilla FC
Getting Bacca and Aleix Vidal on the cheap would be exceptional. The whole thing with Aleix Vidal and Barca is weird. It is almost like they never watched him play before they bought him. Why would Barca want N’Zonzi? He’d probably end up playing CB or FB for them…

Simeone really struggles to ease new players into the team. It worked with Griezmann, Carrasco and Oblak (+maybe Savic/Torres) but almost every other transfer turned out rather disappointing. Alderweireld, Mandzukic, Vietto, Jackson, Cerci, Jimenez, Gamez, Ansaldi, Siqueira, Baston, Kranevitter, Leo Baptistao. And now Gaitan, Vrsaliko and Gameiro. Guys like Thomas, Saul or Correa are also not setting the world on fire (Saul only got into the team, because Tiago got injured…). Some of these players are just not good enough, but Alderweireld, Jackson and Gameiro are quality (Mandzukic was too slow for them).
The core of the defense and midfield didn’t change at all and he never found a replacement for Costa as CF. He is still doing a fantastic job and is imo the best manager in the world. Yet making the transition from one generation to the next is always tricky and sometimes managers need to move on to change things up. Simeone thinks about that IMO as well; why would he have reduced the length of his contract otherwise?
They have an very talented squad; they could almost start only with u25 players and could come up with a reasonably competitive lineup (ignoring that I shoehorned Griezmann into the role as CF). They just need to trust some of these players.
Carrasco – Griezmann – Correa
Koke – Saul – Thomas
X – Gimenez – Lucas/Savic – Vrsaljko
Oblak

Anyway, I enjoy that they mixed things up at the top of the league (and CL) and that they play differently compared to other top teams. They really add something to the world of football and I hope, that they continue to do so. I am not from Spain, so I don’t really care about the attitude of their fans. Hopefully they can finish 4th ahead of Barca. :angel:
That is true, their squad is still incredibly talented, and I do also admit that I think Simeone is one of the best managers in the game. I am neither from Spain, it is just that I can't help but to cringe at some of Simeone's press conferences - sometimes he just plays the victim card on default, which is pathetic to me, since they are backed up by chinese billionaires and are the third richest club in Spain. I understand that it is all an act, but it is about time to change the act, since they have established themselves as third dominant club in Spain (at least reputation wise). The schaudenfreude side of me towards their club is solely based on the times there were intense rivalry between Sevilla and Atletico, when Atletico was competing about the same spot as Sevilla. But since they elevated couple of levels in later years, the rivalry has become less intense, because they have been on a whole different league compared to Sevilla. But the rivalry is still there, and it might get very intense when we visit Vicente Calderon in spring:keano: However, I do also admit that it is refreshing to have a third team (even if it is Atletico) that mix things up at the top, both in La Liga and in CL.

SfcNervion

Supports
Sevilla FC
Simeone is an excellent manager but he does seem to have issues with getting the best out of as many signings as possible. But in fairness to him, this is a problem 99% of managers have, it's not exclusive to Simeone.
I guess... And lately, it is not just their signings, the entire team has been underperforming in the league. Griezman not performing at top level as he is expected to, and that is what at the moment seperates him from the likes of MSN or Cristiano.

@Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87 For sure. It will be exciting. :)

SfcNervion

Supports
Sevilla FC
Haha, yeah. He has mentioned that he likes capitals like Rome and Paris, but I personally always assumed that the mentioning of Rome is a decoy, and that he only had his eyes set on PSG. But evidently he was just as serious with AS Roma. It sucks and will leave our upcoming silly season in uncertainty, and if you allow me to be more dramatically; how the club will grow from his departure is uncertain. But everything got an end - and he would have left us sooner or later, for new challenges. I salute him, and hope that he one day finds his way back to Sevilla.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
No Monchi, don't go to Roma. If you like Italy, go rebuild inter. New owners are loaded and willing to spend, and they'd give you complete control

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
Haha, yeah. He has mentioned that he likes capitals like Rome and Paris, but I personally always assumed that the mentioning of Rome is a decoy, and that he only had his eyes set on PSG. But evidently he was just as serious with AS Roma. It sucks and will leave our upcoming silly season in uncertainty, and if you allow me to be more dramatically; how the club will grow from his departure is uncertain. But everything got an end - and he would have left us sooner or later, for new challenges. I salute him, and hope that he one day finds his way back to Sevilla.

PSG seemed the logical choice, Roma a real surprise tbh - even the Premiership would've been something one might imagine for him

Overall though, Monchi's track record is remarkable.

He leaves behind an almost mythical legacy that would be difficult to replicate anywhere nevermind in Andalusia. Good news for rivals but bad news for Sevilla and fans

It’ll be interesting to see how he develops a club elsewhere nevermind in Serie A but would’ve really been curious the impact he could have had with unlimited resources

SfcNervion

Supports
Sevilla FC
PSG seemed the logical choice, Roma a real surprise tbh - even the Premiership would've been something one might imagine for him

Overall though, Monchi's track record is remarkable.

He leaves behind an almost mythical legacy that would be difficult to replicate anywhere nevermind in Andalusia. Good news for rivals but bad news for Sevilla and fans

It’ll be interesting to see how he develops a club elsewhere nevermind in Serie A but would’ve really been curious the impact he could have had with unlimited resources
Yeah, definately. The choice of Roma was a surprise, but that is the beauty with football; that the outcome is never the rational or logical one - not even off the field:lol:

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Why? I consider Roma like Seville: just slightly above the big teams. Monchi can work well for them.
I thought you were italian? Rome is a horrible city for football. Far too much pressure and expectation, with 2 clubs who are not used to winning

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
I thought you were italian? Rome is a horrible city for football. Far too much pressure and expectation, with 2 clubs who are not used to winning
I know it and you are right about it, but Monchi can turn them around in a rather short period of time.

SfcNervion

Supports
Sevilla FC
Haha, it is not disrespectful, no worries. Roma's reputation is bigger than Sevilla, and has always been so, no matter if the clubs have been around same level in later years. Monchi probably see big potential in working at a capital city club that got many resources, and Roma always seem to be one step away to really compete with Juventus in serie A. I think the choice is understandable in that sense. And it could help Serie A to become more competitive in the long run. Although, between Roma and PSG, I assumed he would have gone for PSG already.

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
Haha, it is not disrespectful, no worries. Roma's reputation is bigger than Sevilla, and has always been so, no matter if the clubs have been around same level in later years. Monchi probably see big potential in working at a capital city club that got many resources, and Roma always seem to be one step away to really compete with Juventus in serie A. I think the choice is understandable in that sense. And it could help Serie A to become more competitive in the long run. Although, between Roma and PSG, I assumed he would have gone for PSG already.
And that step away is Monchi, imo. Btw, who are you gonna replace him with?

SfcNervion

Supports
Sevilla FC
@Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87 No idea actually. Since Monchi is set to leave in upcoming summer, there have not been official talks about his replacement already. We will probably know more when Monchi is officially leaving. I am not sure even if they (Sevilla) gonna make a big deal out of it when presenting the new sports director, except for all the emotional good bye:s to Monchi. But we'll see, there is still lot of time left before this subject becomes relevant again:) Right now, the focus will be the January window...

Match 16 | 16/19 Dec

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Last match of the year in La Liga. So after 15 matches
Real Madrid 37 points
Barcelona 31
Sevilla 30
Villarreal 26
Real Sociedad 26
Atletico 25

Which means that despite them not playing this weekend (due to the Club World Cup) Real Madrid will start 2017 on top. Atletico meanwhile need to start getting some results.

Friday
Alavés V Real Betis 19:45 (all times UK)

Saturday
Sporting Gijón V Villarreal 12:00
Atlético Madrid V Las Palmas 15:15
Granada V Real Sociedad 17:30
Sevilla V Malaga 19:45

Sunday
Leganés V Eibar 15:15
Deportivo La Coruña V Osasuna 17:30
Barcelona V Espanyol 19:45

Monday

Athletic Bilbao V Celta Vigo 19:45

La Liga returns on the weekend of the 6th January. However, between now and then, the second leg of the Copa del Rey ties will be completed, and so will the first leg of the Copa round of 16. This ought to give some big players a bit of a winter break. Barcelona are 1-1 after the first leg of their tie against Hercules, so presumably at least a couple of the first team will need to stay and play.

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
@Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87 No idea actually. Since Monchi is set to leave in upcoming summer, there have not been official talks about his replacement already. We will probably know more when Monchi is officially leaving. I am not sure even if they (Sevilla) gonna make a big deal out of it when presenting the new sports director, except for all the emotional good bye:s to Monchi. But we'll see, there is still lot of time left before this subject becomes relevant again:) Right now, the focus will be the January window...
Of course, you have the Champions League just around the corner and so you need to focus on it. You a good chance of progressing ;)

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
Last match of the year in La Liga. So after 15 matches
Real Madrid 37 points
Barcelona 31
Sevilla 30
Villarreal 26
Real Sociedad 26
Atletico 25

Which means that despite them not playing this weekend (due to the Club World Cup) Real Madrid will start 2017 on top. Atletico meanwhile need to start getting some results.

Friday
Alavés V Real Betis 19:45 (all times UK)

Saturday
Sporting Gijón V Villarreal 12:00
Atlético Madrid V Las Palmas 15:15
Granada V Real Sociedad 17:30
Sevilla V Malaga 19:45

Sunday
Leganés V Eibar 15:15
Deportivo La Coruña V Osasuna 17:30
Barcelona V Espanyol 19:45

Monday

Athletic Bilbao V Celta Vigo 19:45

La Liga returns on the weekend of the 6th January. However, between now and then, the second leg of the Copa del Rey ties will be completed, and so will the first leg of the Copa round of 16. This ought to give some big players a bit of a winter break. Barcelona are 1-1 after the first leg of their tie against Hercules, so presumably at least a couple of the first team will need to stay and play.
Next week, right?

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
1-0 FT Atletico vs. Las Palmas. Some consolations for them these days, but they are not as good as they used to be.

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
Seville would go second for 24 hours. I guess the top 3 is all but sealed by now.
4-0 HT! What a performance!

Last edited:

SfcNervion

Supports
Sevilla FC
Incredible first half:drool:

And these christmas miracles keep raining in; Iborra hat trick last week, and now both of our strikers are clinical. What's next? Kolodziejczak turning in to Beckenbauer? :lol:

Good to see Vietto being at the right place and at the right time in our attacks (finally), and not thinking too much when given the opportunity, just trusting his instinct.

Why is Boyko playing and not Kameni in Malaga? Is it something in Boyko's contract that says he has to play "x amount of games" before 2016 ends? This is the third or fourth consecutive game that Kameni is benched...

Eila

Villareal and Real Sociedad are flying this season! Wonder if they can take that CL spot from Atletico.

PedroMendez

Acolyte
Incredible first half:drool:

And these christmas miracles keep raining in; Iborra hat trick last week, and now both of our strikers are clinical. What's next? Kolodziejczak turning in to Beckenbauer? :lol:

Good to see Vietto being at the right place and at the right time in our attacks (finally), and not thinking too much when given the opportunity, just trusting his instinct.

Why is Boyko playing and not Kameni in Malaga? Is it something in Boyko's contract that says he has to play "x amount of games" before 2016 ends? This is the third or fourth consecutive game that Kameni is benched...
:lol:
I hope the rumours about Bacca are motivating them a little more. Vietto is also playing for a contract/transfer. I doubt that Atletico is really interested in taking him back.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Andone scored again for Depor.I think that this summer some bigger team will pay the clause,and now vamos Espanyol!

SfcNervion

Supports
Sevilla FC
Andone scored again for Depor.I think that this summer some bigger team will pay the clause,and now vamos Espanyol!
He is incredible. Can keep a whole defensive line busy by himself; stressing the sh*t out of defenders.

@PedroMendez Haha, yeah, Vietto is feeling the heat. :)

edcunited1878

Damn....his first touch was absolutely exquisite. What a ball from Iniesta...his passes are like a string of pearls, just keeps coming one after another.

Status
Not open for further replies.