La Liga 2016/17

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skorenzy

In my opinion, Nasri and N'Zonzi have been nowhere near as good individually as Rakitic and Krychowiak were before them for Sevilla, but Sampaoli has made the whole better than Emery's side -- and especially N'Zonzi is rightfully getting plaudits for his role therein.

Sampaoli's gotten 110% out of guys like Iborra, Sarabia and Escudero. Mariano, who was already very impressive last season, and Mercado, a very astute signing, are continuing to deliver. Franco Vázquez is a great lynchpin and Ben Yedder looking like a potential goal getter in the Bacca/Gameiro mould. Jovetic looking like he could revive his career, hopefully. Only Vitolo is playing below his previous level I'd say -- well, and Vietto who was absolutely brilliant at Villarreal before having a mare at Atléti... he's settled a bit better but very inconsistent now, he's still young enough though.

Skorenzy

Holy fckin' shit!! what a save from Asenjo.. :eek: how the hell did he stop Iborra's header there, incredible... unbelievable...

PedroMendez

Acolyte
In my opinion, Nasri and N'Zonzi have been nowhere near as good individually as Rakitic and Krychowiak were before them for Sevilla, but Sampaoli has made the whole better than Emery's side -- and especially N'Zonzi is rightfully getting plaudits for his role therein.

Sampaoli's gotten 110% out of guys like Iborra, Sarabia and Escudero. Mariano, who was already very impressive last season, and Mercado, a very astute signing, are continuing to deliver. Franco Vázquez is a great lynchpin and Ben Yedder looking like a potential goal getter in the Bacca/Gameiro mould. Jovetic looking like he could revive his career, hopefully. Only Vitolo is playing below his previous level I'd say -- well, and Vietto who was absolutely brilliant at Villarreal before having a mare at Atléti... he's settled a bit better but very inconsistent now, he's still young enough though.
hmm. It is always hard to compare players like for like, when they play in different systems/roles. I'd say Sevilla's three most important players are N'Zonzi, Nasri and Vitolo. Krychowiak was first and formost a classic DM/destroyer, while N'Zonzi is also extremely important as open man. Him and Nasri are the responsible to keep the ball, when the opposition is pressing and both doing a tremendous job at that. When one of them is missing, the team struggles badly when they get pressed. Usually the defence ends up looking stupid without them. I think you underestimate how incredibly important both are in the system. N'Zonzi is imo as good as Krychowiak.
I agree that Rakitic is individually stronger than Nasri. He is much more dangerous going forward; he can create and score goals, while Nasri lacks this cutting edge. That said, Nasri is nowadays very good at doing what he does: being the central hub of the team, linking everything together. Rakitic never really did this and I doubt that he could fill this role.
Vitolo is a bit of a weird one. He has always been inconsistent. Individually he is still our most dangerous player, because he can win 1:1s in wide areas. He is not a player, who could fill this role for a stronger team, but great for Sevilla. He is the "teamplayer" version of Nolito; while working much harder, he isn't equally creative. He runs for 90 minutes, can play everywhere adding great balance between defence and offence.

Where the current Sevilla team really falls short is in attack. Non of these players is anywhere the quality of Bacca/Gameiro/Banega. It is not just about scoring, but also about creating anything. The likes of Sarabia, Ben Yedder, Vietto, Vázquez, Correa and Iborra are all useful players but all of the them lack individual quality. Jovetic showed some promise and might have it in him to fill this gap.

SfcNervion

Supports
Sevilla FC
Sigh, 0-0 vs Villarreal. There were plenty of chances to score the winner, besides Nasri's weak penalty. But now everything is back to normal, I guess:yawn:

SfcNervion

Supports
Sevilla FC
hmm. It is always hard to compare players like for like, when they play in different systems/roles. I'd say Sevilla's three most important players are N'Zonzi, Nasri and Vitolo. Krychowiak was first and formost a classic DM/destroyer, while N'Zonzi is also extremely important as open man. Him and Nasri are the responsible to keep the ball, when the opposition is pressing and both doing a tremendous job at that. When one of them is missing, the team struggles badly when they get pressed. Usually the defence ends up looking stupid without them. I think you underestimate how incredibly important both are in the system. N'Zonzi is imo as good as Krychowiak.
I agree that Rakitic is individually stronger than Nasri. He is much more dangerous going forward; he can create and score goals, while Nasri lacks this cutting edge. That said, Nasri is nowadays very good at doing what he does: being the central hub of the team, linking everything together. Rakitic never really did this and I doubt that he could fill this role.
Vitolo is a bit of a weird one. He has always been inconsistent. Individually he is still our most dangerous player, because he can win 1:1s in wide areas. He is not a player, who could fill this role for a stronger team, but great for Sevilla. He is the "teamplayer" version of Nolito; while working much harder, he isn't equally creative. He runs for 90 minutes, can play everywhere adding great balance between defence and offence.

Where the current Sevilla team really falls short is in attack. Non of these players is anywhere the quality of Bacca/Gameiro/Banega. It is not just about scoring, but also about creating anything. The likes of Sarabia, Ben Yedder, Vietto, Vázquez, Correa and Iborra are all useful players but all of the them lack individual quality. Jovetic showed some promise and might have it in him to fill this gap.
This. Really well put @PedroMendez :)

PedroMendez

Acolyte
Sigh, 0-0 vs Villarreal. There were plenty of chances to score the winner, besides Nasri's weak penalty. But now everything is back to normal, I guess:yawn:
I guess CL qualification (top3/4) has to be the goal and it would be an incredibly achievement after all changes. So all things considered, a point against a direct rival is not a bad result.

SfcNervion

Supports
Sevilla FC
I guess CL qualification (top3/4) has to be the goal and it would be an incredibly achievement after all changes. So all things considered, a point against a direct rival is not a bad result.
Yeah, CL is the main target, and can't complain about the table or this season at all.

@Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87 yeah, there are couple of factors to it. The main one is that the team is bit off form.. But at the same time - Villarreal is a very tough team, so if you are not at your best against them, then you'll pay for it.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
More or less they say that have stopped their activity as a group since the board has imposed restrictions to show their banners in the stadium. They also asked the fans staying in that part of the stadium to stay sit, to protest and show the lack of support to the team.

Eila

I have no idea why Real Sociedad saved Vela and Prieto last week vs Real.

Eila

Oh god now it's raining goals 3-2. Fantastic goal by the way.

Match 22 | 10/13 Feb

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
La Liga this weekend.

Friday
Espanyol V R. Sociedad Fri - 20:45 (all times Spain so that's 7:45pm UK)

Saturday
Betis V Valencia Sat - 13:00
Alavés V Barcelona Sat - 16:15
Athletic V Deportivo Sat - 18:30
Osasuna V R. Madrid Sat - 20:45

Sunday
Villarreal V Málaga Sun - 12:00
Leganés V Sporting Sun - 16:15
Las Palmas V Sevilla Sun - 18:30
Atlético V Celta Sun - 20:45

Monday
Eibar V Granada Mon - 20:45

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
So, @Lifeisdream1000 , what is your idea about the team. Personally I am a bit disappointed.
It seems that they lack some of the character of other years. Rumors that Simeone is leaving this summer are becoming more frequent.
Although Griezmann and Carrasco have become top players with him, I think Simeone would like to return to a more physical style, giving up the ball and simplifying things, with a good striker like Diego Costa.

Yes. Specially for you :smirk:
Now you have to give him likes so he can comment ,do not be stingy jojojo :)

Lifeisdream1000

Supports
Atletico
first of all thanks for the warm welcome Carvajal ;). I don't think it's just lack of charecter or determination that is affecting our result this season. There are many problems that Simeone is ignoring .1- our midfield is not as water tight as it used to be ever since inclusion of Saul in starting 11. Saul is not as good as Tiago, Gabi or Koke as far as defensive duties are concerned, when Saul plays he doesn't offer much as a CM , neither in defense nor in attack. 2- Our fullbacks were on fire last season, this season both have been very average. 3- Simeone's obsession with playing 3 or 4 cms make us compromise offensively. With 3or 4cms we resort to playing Long balls to our strikers who're very short. As much as i like Costa but he's not direct solution , we've not replaced Arda properly. Saul or Koke doesn't have Creativity of Arda . we've Creative players in Gaitan but Simeone doesn't trust him and prefer to play extra CM in Saul or Rotate Carrasco with Gaitan. Correa is one hell of a talent but Simeone is not using him properly, he plays best as second striker but Simeone deploy him as RW in 442.

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
first of all thanks for the warm welcome Carvajal ;). I don't think it's just lack of charecter or determination that is affecting our result this season. There are many problems that Simeone is ignoring .1- our midfield is not as water tight as it used to be ever since inclusion of Saul in starting 11. Saul is not as good as Tiago, Gabi or Koke as far as defensive duties are concerned, when Saul plays he doesn't offer much as a CM , neither in defense nor in attack. 2- Our fullbacks were on fire last season, this season both have been very average. 3- Simeone's obsession with playing 3 or 4 cms make us compromise offensively. With 3or 4cms we resort to playing Long balls to our strikers who're very short. As much as i like Costa but he's not direct solution , we've not replaced Arda properly. Saul or Koke doesn't have Creativity of Arda . we've Creative players in Gaitan but Simeone doesn't trust him and prefer to play extra CM in Saul or Rotate Carrasco with Gaitan. Correa is one hell of a talent but Simeone is not using him properly, he plays best as second striker but Simeone deploy him as RW in 442.
What's up with Saul? Why is he playing as CM? Welcome though ;)

Lifeisdream1000

Supports
Atletico
What's up with Saul? Why is he playing as CM? Welcome though ;)
Our best midfield under Simeone was Koke Gabi,Tiago and Arda out of these four , 3 were wonderful CM in their right, while Arda would provide creativity from wing.This midfield alongside Our world class defense was a ruthless machine. this has been Atleti's main strength , Now Arda is gone , it leaves all load on koke to create as well as do ruthless defense that Simeome system require. Saul took place of Tiago as CM , but he doesn't add much to team defenseively or offensively , apart from scoring some nice goals once in a while. where else he would play? nowhere , he's not better than Carrasco or Gaitan on wings. Imo , our 3rd CM should be Augusto instead of Saul , and we should play with 2 cms against weaker sides. As far as our chances in cl are concerned i think we can upset any team , make no mistake it's not easy to score against us over 2 legs in CL. Bayern ,Barca,RM all scored 0 goal at VC in total of 5 cl matches. Only team i'm affraid of is RM lol. Zidane here gets very little credit here as a manger but trust me he's always prepared for big match. Is it a conincidence that all RM penalty to Oblak were placed to his left in cl final?no, Oblak didn't save a single penalty to his left side and was exposed badly against Leverkusen and PSV in shoot out. Simeone showed no intent to win the match in ET when he should've known that we had no chance in shoot out with Oblak. Zidane on the other hand knew this , he was happy to play for penalty shoot out in ET. as soon as ET was over, i said to my bro " it's over" .

Reactions: jojojo

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
Our best midfield under Simeone was Koke Gabi,Tiago and Arda out of these four , 3 were wonderful CM in their right, while Arda would provide creativity from wing.This midfield alongside Our world class defense was a ruthless machine. this has been Atleti's main strength , Now Arda is gone , it leaves all load on koke to create as well as do ruthless defense that Simeome system require. Saul took place of Tiago as CM , but he doesn't add much to team defenseively or offensively , apart from scoring some nice goals once in a while. where else he would play? nowhere , he's not better than Carrasco or Gaitan on wings. Imo , our 3rd CM should be Augusto instead of Saul , and we should play with 2 cms against weaker sides. As far as our chances in cl are concerned i think we can upset any team , make no mistake it's not easy to score against us over 2 legs in CL. Bayern ,Barca,RM all scored 0 goal at VC in total of 5 cl matches. Only team i'm affraid of is RM lol. Zidane here gets very little credit here as a manger but trust me he's always prepared for big match. Is it a conincidence that all RM penalty to Oblak were placed to his left in cl final?no, Oblak didn't save a single penalty to his left side and was exposed badly against Leverkusen and PSV in shoot out. Simeone showed no intent to win the match in ET when he should've known that we had no chance in shoot out with Oblak. Zidane on the other hand knew this , he was happy to play for penalty shoot out in ET. as soon as ET was over, i said to my bro " it's over" .
I asked you about Saul because he looked a great prospect until last season. Meanwhile, no Piquè and Mascherano for Barca.

PedroMendez

Acolyte
This one goal against Bayern made the caf go nuts, thinking that Saul is a worldclass player in the making. He is a good prospect, but imo in the "work-horse" category. Useful to complement top players, but not one that will push the team forward.

@Lifeisdream1000 whats your opinion on Gameiro. Why is he not really clicking? He should be the right type of player for this system, yet he struggles badly.

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
Good half despite more poor officiating, would've loved to see Gomes convert that nice early chance but happy that Mats bailed out Digne's defensive gamble. Aleix Vidal instrumental in both goals along with Leo & Suarez. Busquets playing very well in a midfield that has not quite reached it's potential.

Status
Not open for further replies.