La Liga 2017/18

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
https://blogs.elconfidencial.com/de...-florentino-perez-real-madrid-neymar_1490293/
An article that talks about a supposed desire of Florentino to get rid of Cristiano.
The article is based on Cristiano's response to the question of whether he would retire at Madrid (in the last Ballon d´Or gala)
he answered "if possible". Apparently that sentence is addressed to Florentino.
The rest of the article says that Madrid's plan was to sell Cristiano and bring Mbappé to take his place.
It all started when he ordered a campaign against him saying he was in decline.
All that plan was twisted with his performance in the Champions League and the impossibility of bringing in Mbappé, which the article also tells.

They write that Mbappé wanted to play with Cristiano, not replace him by taking all the pressure. In addition, apparently his family did not like the arrogance and the ways to convince them, in a meeting in Paris.(in another article they say that they could pay the fee but not the wages)

They continue talking about what Florentino said about Neymar "Neymar could win the Ballon d´or more easily in Madrid", what Cristiano's environment considers a confirmation of their suspicions.
All this is related to his renewal in the coming months, as well as the consequences of not doing so, seen as an invitation from the club to leave in the short term.
Messi has achieved a great signing bonus and now the contract difference between them is really big.

van der star

newprawn warrior
Scout
https://blogs.elconfidencial.com/de...-florentino-perez-real-madrid-neymar_1490293/
An article that talks about a supposed desire of Florentino to get rid of Cristiano.
The article is based on Cristiano's response to the question of whether he would retire at Madrid (in the last Ballon d´Or gala)
The rest of the article says that Madrid's plan was to sell Cristiano and bring Mbappé to take his place.
All that plan was twisted with his performance in the Champions League and the impossibility of bringing in Mbappé, which the article also tells.

They write that Mbappé wanted to play with Cristiano, not replace him by taking all the pressure. In addition, apparently his family did not like the arrogance and the ways to convince them, in a meeting in Paris.(in another article they say that they could pay the fee but not the wages)

They continue talking about what Florentino said about Neymar "Neymar could win the Ballon d´or more easily in Madrid", what Cristiano's environment considers a confirmation of their suspicions.
All this is related to his renewal in the coming months, as well as the consequences of not doing so, seen as an invitation from the club to leave in the short term.
Messi has achieved a great signing bonus and now the contract difference between them is really big.
So, what you're essentially saying is...RonaldON?!

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona

As a Madrid, how would you feel about selling Ronaldo?

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
:lol: no, not yet. I simply liked the article. Maybe he ends up renewing.
He signed a new deal last year. FFS, no. He's 33 in 3 months. If we're to give him a raise, it has to be a short-term deal. I could get behind that because of everything he did for the club, as a sign of gratitude, but it can't be more than a 1 and 1/2 deal in that case. It's a good thing to show gratitude and loyalty, but we can't tie our future to him anymore. The club always comes first

Culero

Ask again when it happens :lol:

Honestly, this is probably going to be Raul/Casillas all over again :(
Yep, difference with Raul and Casillas though is that they will have more backing/sympathy from the supporters than Ronaldo would. So in that sense it might play to Madrids advantage.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Yep, difference with Raul and Casillas though is that they will have more backing/sympathy from the supporters than Ronaldo would. So in that sense it might play to Madrids advantage.
I don't know about that. Cristiano really was a turning point for us, almost like Di Stefano in that regard. Without him we're not even competing with barcelona for most of the last 9 years, and i'm not sure we build the team that won 3 CL

Culero

I don't know about that. Cristiano really was a turning point for us, almost like Di Stefano in that regard. Without him we're not even competing with barcelona for most of the last 9 years, and i'm not sure we build the team that won 3 CL
Ohh no doubt about that. It's his petulance and histrionics he has had that I refer to as what some fans will hold against him such as the 'muy triste' saga for instance. Ronalso has never struck me as a true madridista rather than a player and a club who hace matched their ambitions together peefectly. Ultimately it will come down to how effective he is on the pitch, if he continues to deliver even in advanced age then pressure is on Perez to deliver.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
2-1 against Al Jazira.Very poor game with many inaccuracies.
Benzema wouldn't score in three days.Asensio not playing bad although could do It much better.
Bale scored a minute after come in.
Lucas Vázquez is a disaster.He is not good enough but earning 2m€ net who would want to leave

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona
Raul also won 3 UCL and he didn't get a proper send off, it's going to be more about the situation when Ronaldo leaves and his last 12 months with the team, that the actual things he helped the team achieved.

At least, that's how its going to be with the media

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Raul also won 3 UCL and he didn't get a proper send off, it's going to be more about the situation when Ronaldo leaves and his last 12 months with the team, that the actual things he helped the team achieved.

At least, that's how its going to be with the media
And Raul's last season and his eventual adios were emotionally devastating

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
As a Madrid, how would you feel about selling Ronaldo?
I don't know.I guess that will be a feeling of emptiness but as Ishdalar said It will depend on his last months in the club and probably the press will be very mean.
Personally, and barring exceptions I am not very emotional in those cases, although I appreciate Cristiano much more than I ever did with Raúl.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
He signed a new deal last year. FFS, no. He's 33 in 3 months. If we're to give him a raise, it has to be a short-term deal. I could get behind that because of everything he did for the club, as a sign of gratitude, but it can't be more than a 1 and 1/2 deal in that case. It's a good thing to show gratitude and loyalty, but we can't tie our future to him anymore. The club always comes first
I think that he doesn't want more years.Simply to get what Messi earns or at least get closer.
Right now Neymar and Messi earn more but he is the balón de oro so he has a point in his demands.
At the moment there is not renewal offer(although Inda said that he will renew very soon),but what if he scores a couple of goals against PSG

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Plenty of Madrid fans will have 0 problems in putting the blame on him if the results aren't good even if it's not his fault. The media will obviously perpetuate that too.

It would be a smart move to leave either at the end of this season or at the end of next season. Madrid showed during the summer they're more worried about preparing for the future post-Cristiano than they are at trying to get the best out of his great years and it would be much better for his legacy to have one last challenge at a top club than to stay at a place where there's not much else to accomplish.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Iker can leave Porto and Deportivo is one of the options. Imagine San Iker in Coruña :drool:

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Thought Bilbao might've picked him up given he's sort of Basque and they're probably losing Kepa.

Mind you his level at the 2014 world cup was woeful so probably not that much better three years on if you're fighting a relegation battle.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Thought this was quite fun...La Liga table 18 years ago today.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
:lol: I think Atlético went to Segunda that year.Probably Toshack(Madrid) and Ranieri were about to be sacked

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
:lol: I think Atlético went to Segunda that year.Probably Toshack(Madrid) and Ranieri were about to be sacked
Yeah, Atletico and Sevilla both went down. That plucky little team in 15th managed to do alright in the CL, right enough!

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
I also think he's mostly rated among Madrid fans and it doesn't necessarily needs to be something like with Casillas. I mean if Benzema and Bale where always on form and scoring week in week out maybe some people would want Cristiano out but that's hardly the case and I'd rather prefer to sell one of those two if they really want to make space for someone like Mbappe or Neymar.

Matchday 16: 15/18 December

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
La Liga this weekend - from the BBC so all times are UK:

FRIDAY 15TH DECEMBER
  • Sevilla 20:00 Levante
SATURDAY 16TH DECEMBER
  • Athletic Bilbao 15:15 Real Sociedad
  • Eibar 17:30 Valencia
  • Atlético Madrid 19:45 Alavés
SUNDAY 17TH DECEMBER
  • Girona 11:00 Getafe
  • Celta Vigo 15:15 Villarreal
  • Las Palmas 17:30 Espanyol
  • Barcelona 19:45 Deportivo La Coruña
MONDAY 18TH DECEMBER
  • Malaga 20:00 Real Betis

Johnny Love

I don't see Ronaldo retiring in Madrid at all. I think the moment they realize his level has dropped to the point it hurts the team they will plot to sell him, maybe that point has already happened. With the way they treated some of their past legends, from the outside looking in I just don't think Real are the kind of club that will endure the rough patches just to have a legend retire at the club like Milan did for example (Maldini, Costacurta, Baresi).

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
With the super defense of Karim that Zidane did in the press conference It seems that the transfer is ruled out,but anyway
"I know nothing about Madrid.I don't say no,nor yes.Mauro would stay at Inter all the life, but depends on other things"

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Depor have a brilliant team in those days, loved watching them growing up. Roy Makaay, Djalminiha, Mauro Silva, Fran, Naybet and 40 year old Donato at the back.

Celta Vigo were also very strong. Mostovoi, Haim Revivo, Karpin etc.

I remember when they came to play us in Uefa cup in 1998 they stayed at a hotel 5 minutes from my house and were very friendly around the bar area (there were some pool tables past the bar if anyone is thinking they were drinking the night before!)

I was only 8 at the time so my and a few friends were asking one of the players who spoke perfect English about Jorge Cadete as he was the only one of the squad I'd heard of as he had played for Celtic the year before.

Can't remember who it was, might have been Michel Salgado as he learnt English while he was growing up.

They then went out and passed Villa off the pitch 3-1. At the time we were top of the premier league.

La Liga was much more interesting in those days. Felt like teams could come and finish top 4 or even challenge for the league if they signed well over the summer. Nowadays the top 4-6 is pretty much a closed shop, much like the premier league.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Depor have a brilliant team in those days, loved watching them growing up. Roy Makaay, Djalminiha, Mauro Silva, Fran, Naybet and 40 year old Donato at the back.

Celta Vigo were also very strong. Mostovoi, Haim Revivo, Karpin etc.

I remember when they came to play us in Uefa cup in 1998 they stayed at a hotel 5 minutes from my house and were very friendly around the bar area (there were some pool tables past the bar if anyone is thinking they were drinking the night before!)

I was only 8 at the time so my and a few friends were asking one of the players who spoke perfect English about Jorge Cadete as he was the only one of the squad I'd heard of as he had played for Celtic the year before.

Can't remember who it was, might have been Michel Salgado as he learnt English while he was growing up.

They then went out and passed Villa off the pitch 3-1. At the time we were top of the premier league.

La Liga was much more interesting in those days. Felt like teams could come and finish top 4 or even challenge for the league if they
signed well over the summer. Nowadays the top 4-6 is pretty much a closed shop, much like the premier league.
Yes,great years for la liga.Maybe I over rate some players because I was a teenager and lived football more strongly.
Football wasn't so global and fans/press didn't care so much about other leagues,allowing great talents in small teams for many years.
Nowadays they would sign for Burnley,Watford,etc.
There were many players that would cost 50/60m€ today.Mostovoi could be a good example,but there were dozens thanks to the TV money.
Look at Atlético,went to segunda with a Squad including:Molina,Capdevila,Solari,Gamarra/Ayala(2 quite decent players from Paraguay),Valerón,Hasselbaink,Kiko and Rubén Baraja

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Mentality at Atletico was all wrong in those days, stemming from Jesus Gil sacking a manager every five minutes. It was a very good squad that went down, Haselbaink scored nearly 30 goals that season but they couldn't defend.

Interesting looking at that table, who has had the biggest fall of grace. Oviedo went bust but they're now in the Segunda so hopefully we'll see them back in a year or two.

Mallorca got relegated from Segunda last season after a few close calls. Another who had some excellent teams in the late 90s.

What league do Racing de Santander play in now? Not a big club but they were always a club who'd just about survive relegation every year (similar to Coventry/Southampton/Wigan etc) but then some mad Russian owner took over, they finally went down and never been heard of again.

Always respected them as they sold Olof Mellberg to us. :drool:

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Mentality at Atletico was all wrong in those days, stemming from Jesus Gil sacking a manager every five minutes. It was a very good squad that went down, Haselbaink scored nearly 30 goals that season but they couldn't defend.

Interesting looking at that table, who has had the biggest fall of grace. Oviedo went bust but they're now in the Segunda so hopefully we'll see them back in a year or two.

Mallorca got relegated from Segunda last season after a few close calls. Another who had some excellent teams in the late 90s.

What league do Racing de Santander play in now? Not a big club but they were always a club who'd just about survive relegation every year (similar to Coventry/Southampton/Wigan etc) but then some mad Russian owner took over, they finally went down and never been heard of again.

Always respected them as they sold Olof Mellberg to us. :drool:
Haha,now I remember Mellberg,was a CB?
The owner was Piterman,and I think later they had another one,an Indian guy,who didn't have money/run away with the money.
Spanish teams werent very lucky with the investors.
From that team I remember Setién,who was a big idol, although I only remember his last season,[Irrelevant point] the coach(father of Chelsea's player),Zigic,Munitis and the russians:Popov(a very handsome player) and Radchenko,probably the clumsiest striker that I've seen in my life :lol:.
I think that he played and eliminated Madrid years before playing with CSKA or Spartak and after Racing Deportivo bought him.
Clumsy but always managed to score 13/15 goals/season

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Didn't racing went under too?

Also, Munitis is unforgettable. The Lidl-Robben-before-robben :lol:

And didn't Celta also have Makelele? Or did he came the season after that?

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Makelele was at Celta in 1998/99.

Didn't Real Madrid also sign a black midfielder from Depor around the same time? He wasn't anywhere nearly as good but can't remember his name.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Didn't racing went under too?

Also, Munitis is unforgettable. The Lidl-Robben-before-robben :lol:

And didn't Celta also have Makelele? Or did he came the season after that?
:lol:
What?! Get out!
haha, I know, but I always thought he was a bit dumb. Every time he spoke to the press, it seemed that he "lacked a summer"(I think in english is "not the sharpest tool in the box"). I didn´t like Guti either, but in his case simply because was a prick. Then, in his last years, when he had already become "Baúl" he was very arrogant, like when he demanded Aragonés to call him. Once he retired I started to appreciate him more
Makelele was at Celta in 1998/99.

Didn't Real Madrid also sign a black midfielder from Depor around the same time? He wasn't anywhere nearly as good but can't remember his name.
Flavio Conceiçao.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Flavio Conceicao! Completely forgot about him :lol:

Was actually pretty good before we signed him. Key on that superdepor team. Barely played for us

Vato

Watches other men wank.Supports Real.Coincidence?
Supports
Real Madrid
like when he demanded Aragonés to call him
I thought he handled all that pretty well tbh. At least that's how I remember it.

I was probably more furious about that than Raul himself was though, so might be a biased view from me.

I know Torres and Villa were better at the time, but he still deserved to be part of the squad. It was a real shame he never won anything with the NT.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
I thought he handled all that pretty well tbh. At least that's how I remember it.

I was probably more furious about that than Raul himself was though, so might be a biased view from me.

I know Torres and Villa were better at the time, but he still deserved to be part of the squad. It was a real shame he never won anything with the NT.
There was a lot of pressure to go, but also rumors that he was very bossy and that fresh air was needed. For example I remember in the euro, against France, when he insisted on shooting the penalty that could be the draw (Mendieta was the shooter) and failed.
I agree that he should have won something. He always says that Xavi was his great friend in the world of football, and while Xavi won everything he was quite forgotten.

Vato

Supports
Real Madrid
There was a lot of pressure to go, but also rumors that he was very bossy and that fresh air was needed.
Yeah, but I'm always a bit sceptic about these stories as they always come up when these players started to decline, never when they're in their prime. Just the same happened with Casillas.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Yeah, but I'm always a bit sceptic about these stories as they always come up when these players started to decline, never when they're in their prime. Just the same happened with Casillas.
yes, that´s truth and probably will happen with Cristiano

De Portago

Supports
Red Star
Wasn't there a quite prolonged period (say 2003-2006 or whereabouts, my memory might be failing me) during which Raul was playing very badly, and nowhere near a level that a club like Real would expect? Spain played two games against my home country in qualifications for WC 2006 and i remember being positively amazed at Raul scoring a great goal with a diving header, from the club games i watched during that period i have literally written him off as a player, he seemed he'd be better off taking a leave of absence. For my money he looked nowhere near the great player i remembered from say 1999-2002. Someone that actually watched more games of Real Madrid than me could give his opinion....

Last edited:

Vato

Supports
Real Madrid
Wasn't there a quite prolonged period (say 2003-2006 or whereabouts, my memory might be failing me) during which Raul was playing very badly, and nowhere near a level that a club like Real would expect? Spain played two games against my home country in qualifications for WC 2006 and i remember being positively amazed at Raul scoring a great goal with a diving header, from the club games i watched during that period i have literally written him off as a player, he seemed he'd be better off taking a leave of absence. For my money he looked nowhere near the great player i remembered from say 1999-2002. Someone that actually watched more games of Real Madrid than me could give his opinion....
No idea mate, my memory is awful aswell for these things. I know that by the end of his career he had the supporters pretty much divided.

I was glad when I saw him have a few good seasons at Schalke04 afterwards.