La Liga 2017/18

Yagami

Good post resistant
I decided to watch Las Palmas - Deportivo for Jonathan Viera and he's already had to go off injured. :(

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I think it's more a 4-4-2.

------Ronaldo---------------------
------------------Benzema--------
---------------Isco-----------------

They are just passing the ball to Marcelo/Theo and Achraf and they are crossing or hoping for a moment of brilliancy from Isco. That's not enough.
That's generally what we did last season too.

Look, it's simple: last season, in games like betis or girona or valencia or levante, we'd either get a favourable call by the ref, or we'd luck our way out of conceding the second goal, and most of all Sergio Ramos would come through and win us the game. This season, we've had none of that.

Last season we win against valencia and levante with a Sergio Ramos goal at the death, or a penalty(like the one on marcelo against valencia which wasn't given), Girona's second goal is rule offside(correctly from what i've seen) and we probably win that too with the same possible options of Ramos/Ref/Luck/Willpower

The betis game, now that was just destiny, it had to happen. We'd been scoring for 72 consecutive games leading up to that, and we could have scored 10 in that game...

All in all, we're not really different from last season except we've been missing our usual "luck" with refs, Sergio's not saving us and our strikers have forgotten how to score...

Girona was the first game this season were we weren't the better team

We do have some problems, but all in all i'd say barring more injuries they should mostly be manageable over the course of the season. No, the real problem is we're basically out of the title race barring a long-term injury to Messi. We're just not going to get 8 points more than barcelona from here to the end, we're not that good(we've lost 10 points, we have to play barca twice, atletico twice, valencia away, sevilla away, Setien away, Bilbao away, Villarreal away. We will lose another 15 points, and we're unlikely to win the title with 89 points)

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Depends entirely on how badly he fails. Finish 4th in league and go out early and badly in CL, his job's at serious risk. Repeat Ancelotti's 14-15, and he's fine

Repeat Mou's 12-13 and i'm not sure there...honestly.

De Portago

Supports
Red Star
It borderline looks as if there is some sort of curse hanging over Real Madrid when it comes to their domestic league. I remember almost everyone on this forum backing Real to win the title comfortably (even to steamroller everyone) during the summer, and i couldn't help but recall the summer of 2012 when Mourinho finally won the title and put an end to Barcelona's dominance in La Liga, only to completely fall apart in the autumn and hand over the trophy back in December.

There is an enormous amount of games to be played though, i feel you'd have to be borderline crazy to write Real Madrid off at this point, eight point difference or not. Barcelona have probably looked most unlike Barca you would have expected theoretically in close to twenty years or so, at the moment they look like a Serie A winning team in the late 90s, their defending is quite a bit better than you'd expect considering the personnel. As for the attacking phase, if all else fails, there's Messi to conjure a rabbit out of the hat.

Reactions: jojojo

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
It borderline looks as if there is some sort of curse hanging over Real Madrid when it comes to their domestic league. I remember almost everyone on this forum backing Real to win the title comfortably (even to steamroller everyone) during the summer, and i couldn't help but recall the summer of 2012 when Mourinho finally won the title and put an end to Barcelona's dominance in La Liga, only to completely fall apart in the autumn and hand over the trophy back in December.

There is an enormous amount of games to be played though, i feel you'd have to be borderline crazy to write Real Madrid off at this point, eight point difference or not. Barcelona have probably looked most unlike Barca you would have expected theoretically in close to twenty years or so, at the moment they look like a Serie A winning team in the late 90s, their defending is quite a bit better than you'd expect considering the personnel. As for the attacking phase, if all else fails, there's Messi to conjure a rabbit out of the hat.
The fact is that this Barca side look so fecking solid. They don't concede often.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Madrid can certainly make up the deficit. There are still two more Clasico's to go and Barca already had Dembele injured and it looks like Roberto will be out for a month as will Gomes (who I wasn't crazy about anyway).

Barca will drop points obviously, so hopefully Suarez finds his form sooner than later. Madrid have very little margin for error. One more loss to another Girona and it could be lights out for them. I also think their poor defence will lead them to a CL exit, they concede constantly.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
The fact is that this Barca side look so fecking solid. They don't concede often.
They've been quite lucky in that regard. Kinda like us under benitez, we weren't conceding goals but it wasn't down to good defending, it was luck and keylor playing out of his mind

Barca's defensive record won't hold, though of course they're going to be good defensively thanks to their sheer attacking threat and ball possession

The problem is we're unlikely to get 8 points more than them from here to the end of the season

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I also think their poor defence will lead them to a CL exit, they concede constantly.
We gave up 18 goals last season in CL. We only kept 1 clean sheet the whole tournament, first leg against atletico. If we remember how to score goals our defence won't be that much of a problem. Our problem so far is scoring goals, we've been converting chances at a rate that would make Liverpool(or last season united's) look clinical...

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
They've been quite lucky in that regard. Kinda like us under benitez, we weren't conceding goals but it wasn't down to good defending, it was luck and keylor playing out of his mind

Barca's defensive record won't hold, though of course they're going to be good defensively thanks to their sheer attacking threat and ball possession

The problem is we're unlikely to get 8 points more than them from here to the end of the season
Difficult to close a 8-point gap in La Liga. Not many teams can get points off Barca (or Real if you were leading the table).

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
We gave up 18 goals last season in CL. We only kept 1 clean sheet the whole tournament, first leg against atletico. If we remember how to score goals our defence won't be that much of a problem. Our problem so far is scoring goals, we've been converting chances at a rate that would make Liverpool(or last season united's) look clinical...
I think your players were in the form of their lives last season, and Ronaldo was tremendous. I think with all the extra pressure to make up the deficit in La Liga, Madrid will need to play significantly better, plus I think this year's batch of CL teams is much much better than last year's.

Not saying Madrid don't have a chance or they won't play better as the season wears on, but Ronaldo especially needs to wake up sooner than he normally does because the bench is weaker than last year so he has even more pressure to perform as oppose to having Ramos carry the load in the first half of last season like he did as Ronaldo stepped up towards the end of the season.

Let's see what happens.

PedroMendez

Acolyte
Sevilla update:
- important win in the cl. The team played very well for 60 minutes against a weak russian team. For the last 25 minutes the team lost its focus which made it unnecessarily close.
- still, finally there is a development and I start to see some consistency in the team selection. Hopefully berizzo continues with this lineup and doesn't change everything again. He seems to favour a double pivot of n'Zonzi and Pizarro with banega as third midfielder. That's not my favourite selection, but n'Zonzi and Pizarro are starting to get used to eachother and individually both deserve to start. Additionally the other midfield options (Mudo, mkd, ganso) didn't convince.
In the defence kjaer and lenglet develop understanding. Especially lenglet is developing at a fine pace. He benefits from carrico and pareja being (permanently) injured. Hopefully those two continue to start games regardless of injuries.
Sarabia is atm our best attacker and he has to start when fit.

- there are rumours that Aleix Vidal could come back from Barca during the winter transfer window (~loan + option for about 10m). I'd like that, if he is in good physical condition.

- n'Zonzi was called to the national team for the first time. Totally deserved.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Sevilla update:
- important win in the cl. The team played very well for 60 minutes against a weak russian team. For the last 25 minutes the team lost its focus which made it unnecessarily close.
- still, finally there is a development and I start to see some consistency in the team selection. Hopefully berizzo continues with this lineup and doesn't change everything again. He seems to favour a double pivot of n'Zonzi and Pizarro with banega as third midfielder. That's not my favourite selection, but n'Zonzi and Pizarro are starting to get used to eachother and individually both deserve to start. Additionally the other midfield options (Mudo, mkd, ganso) didn't convince.
In the defence kjaer and lenglet develop understanding. Especially lenglet is developing at a fine pace. He benefits from carrico and pareja being (permanently) injured. Hopefully those two continue to start games regardless of injuries.
Sarabia is atm our best attacker and he has to start when fit.

- there are rumours that Aleix Vidal could come back from Barca during the winter transfer window (~loan + option for about 10m). I'd like that, if he is in good physical condition.

- n'Zonzi was called to the national team for the first time. Totally deserved.
What happens with Muriel Pedro?

PedroMendez

Acolyte
What happens with Muriel Pedro?
Currently behind Ben yedder. The team struggles to score goals and Muriel is everything but clinical.
Ben yedder plays a lot closer to the goal and tries to get on the end of balls. That's what the team currently needs, because non of the midfielders are really able to join the CF in the box. The wingers are also not consequently doing that. Imo Muriel needs a slightly different system to function. He still gets minutes and I like him. For some reason central forwards usually get a lot better in their second season for the club. So it's early days for Muriel

Match 11 | 3/5 November

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
La Liga this weekend. From the BBC so all times are UK.

FRIDAY 3RD NOVEMBER
  • Real Betis 20:00 Getafe
SATURDAY 4TH NOVEMBER
  • Valencia 12:00 Leganés
  • Deportivo La Coruña 15:15 Atlético Madrid
  • Alavés 17:30 Espanyol
  • Barcelona 19:45 Sevilla
SUNDAY 5TH NOVEMBER
  • Levante 11:00 Girona
  • Celta Vigo 15:15 Athletic Bilbao
  • Real Sociedad 17:30 Eibar
  • Villarreal 17:30 Malaga
  • Real Madrid 19:45 Las Palmas

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
Currently behind Ben yedder. The team struggles to score goals and Muriel is everything but clinical.
Ben yedder plays a lot closer to the goal and tries to get on the end of balls. That's what the team currently needs, because non of the midfielders are really able to join the CF in the box. The wingers are also not consequently doing that. Imo Muriel needs a slightly different system to function. He still gets minutes and I like him. For some reason central forwards usually get a lot better in their second season for the club. So it's early days for Muriel
Being the most expensive transfer of the club the situation is not nice for him or the club. In these last weeks the atmosphere seems a bit better but weeks ago the press in Sevilla was very tough with Berizzo

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
They'd better. Can't let Madrid get too close. Home game, perfect kick off time, probably 85k plus in the stands. The kind of games Messi is lethal in.
Seville only have 1 win in their last 4 league games and they don't often score. Should be quite easy for Barca.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Let's piss away the league completely this weekend, we're on a roll.
Yeah, we should focus on the CWC and Copa del Rey this season, the real trophies that matter

maba723

likes bananas a bit too much
Valencia take the lead vs. Leganes with a free kick from Parejo