g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Leroy Sane watch | Feb 2020: Returning to fitness with City's U23s

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
I honestly don't get where these attitude issues come from. He was on fire for them last season, what happened over the summer?
Maybe he thinks that he is a superstar after last season and that should be enough bonus for the next season?!
Apparently he had issues at the start of last season too.
He hasn't worked hard enough to get in the WC squad and he has now at City a attitude problem too.......that says a lot.

Don Alfredo

Supports
Germany
I am still waiting for the people to accuse Pep of racism because he leaves Sane out of a squad

marktan

Don't care about supposed 'attitude' issues in training, a player as good as him deserves to play regular football. He showed what he has last season.

Same thing with Luke Shaw, technically very good, but missed out on two years of regular football because apparently he has a bad attitude..

Theafonis

In love with @Eboue
Supports
Chelsea
Don't care about supposed 'attitude' issues in training, a player as good as him deserves to play regular football. He showed what he has last season.

Same thing with Luke Shaw, technically very good, but missed out on two years of regular football because apparently he has a bad attitude..
De Bruyne had a 'bad attitude' according to Mourinho. I'd take anything managers say about attitude being the reason a player is left out of a side with a grain of salt, could really mean anything.

Loublaze

ATLien

I disagree. Players need discipline to succeed. Balotelli should be a world beater but his attitude has cost him. You can say the same about other players like Quaresma, Jermaine Pennent, Ravel Morrison, Cassono and Ben-Arfa. Sane won't go anywhere if these accusations are true. Luke Shaw has admitted his own mistakes and flaws which have been brought up by three managers.

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot

Tennis is not football but Kyrgios would be a top 10 player with the right attitude.....he can play so many tennis games like he wants but he will never be a top 10 player with his wrong attitude.

GM K

Talent is over rated.
Attitude is under rated.

GM K

Managers at the level of Pep and Jose have massive egos and don't give a hoot about how big most players are. They want to be in control. They want to be THE boss. Pep hardly thought twice before selling Etoo, Deco and Ronaldinho. Jose in the past, always sold any player that wanted out: KDB, Lukaku, Salah, Zlatan, etc. The problem with Jose at United right now is that he is being restrained in buying and selling and on his part, his desperation to keep the United job and succeed at it, is making him change what would have been his natural reactions. If left alone, Jose would have sold Martial and Pogba who seem to want out and bought some loyal warriors. Our board needs to make up its mind about Jose and be fully commited to that decision. Fire or keep him. If the decision is to keep him though, they need to fully back him. Let him discipline any player. Let him sell and buy whoever and let him be fully responsible for the consequences of his decisions.
This Sane example, plus the Yaya Toure example, shows that Pep is boss at City.

Varun

Staff

Mendy gives them the width they want on the left. I think its as simple as that and as long as Mendy is fit, Pep will continue to pick players who cut in and do their best work in the central areas which means Sane will struggle to get games.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Ask Barca what happens when you make cheeky bids for players at clubs with bottomless pockets.
United has no release clauses (that we know of) and no player that City would be interested in.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
From what I can see, City need that Sane magic.. just like Germany did. This 'dumping' of him will continue for a while, until Pep realises he needs him. Team looks sterile without Sane at full pelt.

charlie9882

The problem is he does not show that talent on a consistent basis. He'll either be completely unplayable and by far and away the best of the pitch or completely useless and a liability. Expected at his age, but he's clearly got an ego about him and there's been concerns from Pep last summer, this summer and this is only compounded by whats been discussed surrounding his omission from the national team.

He needs a bit of a reality check and I'd imagine this is Pep trying to get a tune out of him. He has the talent to be a world beater, but that doesn't mean anything if he doesn't reach his potential through hard work.

He will still get regular football, anyway. This thread is completely reactionary. It was exactly the same for Sane at the beginning of last season too. Some players always struggle for game time at this stage of the season whilst teams are playing one game a week in one competition. As soon as the CL and cups start to quick in, he will be playing very regularly. City's best CB last season - Otamendi - hasn't even got a minute on the pitch yet.

Reactions: van der star

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Attitude issues is an easy excuse for a manager to drop a player. Sane is obviously upset he's starting the season on the bench despite being one of their best players last year.
He is being dropped for tactical reasons, which would be more difficult for Pep to explain imo. So he goes for the easy one.
We've seen so many top managers do it. I can't imagine Sane is behaving too differently from how he behaves last season.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
From what I can see, City need that Sane magic.. just like Germany did. This 'dumping' of him will continue for a while, until Pep realises he needs him. Team looks sterile without Sane at full pelt.
It's not Sane, it's De Bruyne. Guy believes his own hype too much and can be very greedy and arrogant during games.

totaalvoetbal

Supports
Ajax
No they really don't. The team looks sterile because their main outlet for playing ball behind the defensive line is injured. Sane is not at his best when he faces a deep block.

There is a reason he was also benched for last season till Mendy got injured...

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
No they really don't. The team looks sterile because their main outlet for playing ball behind the defensive line is injured. Sane is not at his best when he faces a deep block.

There is a reason he was also benched for last season till Mendy got injured...
In retrospect, Mendy getting injured was a blessing in disguise for City last season, I think.

The mere existence of Sane (along with Sterling) on the wings forced the opposition back line apart, creating space for De Bruyne and Silva between the lines. Also, a major reason for City not being vulnerable on the counter last season was Delph's ability to tuck into midfield and provide support as City pushed up.

Mendy on the pitch, for all his qualities, negates that. If he's not provided space to bomb into by having 2 players cover him, City have been unable to switch play effectively to take advantage of any mismatches (this is where De Bruyne is missed the most). Plus his positional sense is awful. City have looked more vulnerable on the counter this season, because Fernandinho is left without support, and Mendy is still upfield, or ball watches, losing his man.

I get that Pep is still trying to solve the problem of the parked bus by playing Aguero and Jesus together, so Sane loses out. But at the moment City look imbalanced, trying to get Mendy up to speed, and missing De Bruyne.

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
Read that Pep is unhappy with his behaviour and that's the reason why he barely plays him atm. Having a squad so full of talent, i wouldn't be surprised if he left next summer.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
The realisation will likely come from the football player first before the manager, and he will be better for it once he grows up.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
@adexkola I guess that is why their best attacking performance was when the played a three man backline with Mendy as a LWB.
Last season, against Liverpool at home?

I agree it's devastating on song, but it leaves them more open on the counter. Plus De Bruyne's absence negates some of the advantages playing Mendy at LWB brings.

Womp

idiot
I would happily take him here if Citeh don't want him. His movement off the ball is fantastic and he is rapid.

TheeAma

Supports
Chelsea
One of citys biggest fault was having delph at LB last season. Mendy was one of the best LB at Monaco what he offers CIty both attacking wise and defensively is massive. Hes that Marcelo type of LB will put in bullet crosses and for all the space he leaves he tracks back very quickly and is able to provide width to the attack.

Sane is a pure winger not an inside forward but a pure wringer. It's one of the reasons Brandt was chosen over him and Mahrez/Sterling/Silva will be the preferred choice of players. Pep always prefers his wingers to be inside forward than an out and out winger. The injury to mendy made pep put Sane out wide to stretch play but he has never favored out and out wingers in his managerial career at Barca or Bayern.

Also it's not the first time we are hearing of his attitude last season and at Germany's training camp there was noise being made about his attitude. He developed an Ego and think he's undroppable. The problem is Pep will choose his wingers based on what team he's playing. Sane wouldn't have helped them against Newcastle.

haram

Attitude issues is an easy excuse for a manager to drop a player. Sane is obviously upset he's starting the season on the bench despite being one of their best players last year.
He is being dropped for tactical reasons, which would be more difficult for Pep to explain imo. So he goes for the easy one.
We've seen so many top managers do it. I can't imagine Sane is behaving too differently from how he behaves last season.
Pep said he has an attitude problem?

SATA

Every big team seem to have one or two attitude player. City have Sane, Arsenal have Ozil, we have Martial. Who else have i missed? Does Hazard count? But he's playing every game since his return to full fitness

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
Every big team seem to have one or two attitude player. City have Sane, Arsenal have Ozil, we have Martial. Who else have i missed? Does Hazard count? But he's playing every game since his return to full fitness
Why do you think Hazard has attitude problems? I don't think Sane does either, to be honest. I think Pep wants to change the system to accommodate a fit Mendy. He's probably giving him grief to set an example to other players (e.g. what Mourinho did to De Bruyne).

Trizy

I don't think he's worth the hype he gets on here. City/Pep's system seems to have the structure and playing ability to make good players look world class.

Lowe is 100% right. He has never done it for Germany. He also sees Sane play a lot more football than us (training, as mentioned). Plus he's a world cup winning manager. I'd take his opinion over that of a City-Loving Redcafe United fan.