Lionel Messi is OFFICIALLY the Greatest Player of all Time (CONFIRMED OFFICIAL)

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
But can he withstand being best chums with Tears Morgan? I think not!

Eriku

Pleases me to be able to say I’ve seen the GOAT with my own eyes. Even if it was the CL final in 2011 :(

bakalhau

I do hate the obsession with GOAT debates in different sports. In my second favourite sport tennis, non-stop GOAT debates are beyond tedious and it’s amazing how many people are sad enough to get so worked and riled up about them.

But I’m happy that the Messi vs. Ronaldo debate has been well and truly slammed shut for good (even if Argentina lost today it still would have in my opinion).
Such a good comparison. I prefer Djokovic but it just seems wild I'd spend dozens of hours online debating Fed/Nadal/Djoko. I have my own preference with Ronnie and Djoko but it seems crazy to me I wouldn't appreciate watching the others as well.

Edit: And by the time Fed was 38 and playing Djoko in a wimbledon final I was even actually rooting for Fed :lol:

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Think most argentinians will know how how much harder Maradona worked for it. No protection from refs back then, defenders were allowed to kick lumps out of you. They had one of the easiest runs in this tournament.
He was a great player no doubt, he was also a self-admitted cheat and a drug addict

Red Star One

I’m glad that in few years we’ll compare Mbappe and new rising stars to Messi and Ronaldo will be sort of forgotten

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Such a good comparison. I prefer Djokovic but it just seems wild I'd spend dozens of hours online debating Fed/Nadal/Djoko. I have my own preference with Ronnie and Djoko but it seems crazy to me I wouldn't appreciate watching the others as well.
Don't have that debate with my mother, if it ain't Federer she'll go apeshit!

Rista

As a neutral I don't really care but this Messi WC wankfest is already very tiring. Not only everyone is acting like it was Messi alone who beat everyone and won the tournament by himself but there are already people saying he did it despite having this and that player in the team. That one penalty shootout goes differently and you get completely different, exaggerated opinions.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
He has an argument now. For me it's Maradona, but Messi now is inarguably up there with Diego and Pelé

Kaush949

The debate will never die, sadly, but so pleased for him on a personal level. He never had anything to prove after such a phenomenal career, but you could see how much he wanted to bring a World Cup home to Argentina, and he’s finally done it.

Think he would much rather have a World Cup title than a fake title of goat.
Between Pele, Maradona and Messi, it's still arguable due to different times, teams, support etc. Pele won 3 world cup while Maradona carried much weaker teams single handedly.

But, how anyone can still bring Ronaldo into this discussion is beyond me. Other than scoring goals, he's light years behind the rest of them.

Messi has shown that he can win cups even without the quality of Xavi, Iniesta, Busquets supporting him.

Doubt how far Ronaldo could have gone without Modric and Kross. If anything, Madrid have continued to win past his departure. Yes, he would have still won trophies but I think Modric and Kroos were more critical to that Madrid team than Ronaldo was. What I mean - if Madrid had Lewandowski instead of Ronaldo, they might have still won 4 CL's.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Tier 1 is Pele, Maradona and Messi. The different eras mean it can't be rightfully debated.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
The debate will never die, sadly, but so pleased for him on a personal level. He never had anything to prove after such a phenomenal career, but you could see how much he wanted to bring a World Cup home to Argentina, and he’s finally done it.

Think he would much rather have a World Cup title than a fake title of goat.
There are no facts that support even making this a debate. It's just tribalism and cult of personality - both will be washed away with time.

lawliet354

Perfect end for the greatest player of all time. Always knew he's the best since he destroyed us in 2011 final, the thing he does just cannot be replicated by anyone.

What a privilege to be able to see him play, and the fact that he's done it in his last chance, tears in my eyes

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
He hasn't lifted the trophy yet so he's still not the greatest

Castia

Between Pele, Maradona and Messi, it's still arguable due to different times, teams, support etc. Pele won 3 world cup while Maradona carried much weaker teams single handedly.

But, how anyone can still bring Ronaldo into this discussion is beyond me. Other than scoring goals, he's light years behind the rest of them.

Messi has shown that he can win cups even without the quality of Xavi, Iniesta, Busquets supporting him.

Doubt how far Ronaldo could have gone without Modric and Kross. If anything, Madrid have continued to win past his departure. Yes, he would have still won trophies but I think Modric and Kroos were more critical to that Madrid team than Ronaldo was. What I mean - if Madrid had Lewandowski instead of Ronaldo, they might have still won 4 CL's.

Nah dont downplay Ronaldo mate

I believe the debate is over and he wont be remember as the goat now but to reach Ronaldo's record don't you need to score like 40 goals a season for 17 years? it probably wont ever be touched and players like Maradona never could maintain top level throughout their career. Makes me laugh when people say Brazilian Ronaldo as well.

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers

Edit: And by the time Fed was 38 and playing Djoko in a wimbledon final I was even actually rooting for Fed :lol:
I used to post on a tennis forum, and the percentage of threads devoted to GOAT debates, comparisons between the big 3 was just absurd. And threads dedicated to standard ATP tournaments had hardly any posts !

At least in football, with so many big matches attracting interest, the GOAT debates are not all-consuming.

sepulturite

Same with formula one, the endless debates are so tedious, simple fact is formula one has changed so much since that first official world championship that it's impossible to say for sure who is the greatest.

And football is very similar, the game has changed so much over the decades that it's very hard to definitively say who's the greatest, best thing to do is to just have a top 3 or 5.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Epic penalty taker in this World Cup. Maradona was much better.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
Same here, huge Ronaldo and United fan, I already had no qualms with those who thought Messi was better, I certainly won't have either now. It's incredible what Ronaldo did alongside a freak of nature like Messi. Ronaldo had no right to even dispute the crown, by 2011 the whole internet mocked him for being finished while Messi existed, while Ronaldo was playing world class football week in week out, and he put his head down and worked his ass off to put himself on a category of players where Messi is, Pele, Maradona, and almost no one else.

While I didn't want Messi to win, it's so deserved for him, and I am happy for him. Both of the players will be attached to each other forever in eternal discussions, and that's one of, if not THE, largest accomplishment of Ronaldo's career.

Ronaldo has said Messi was special, and Messi was asked about the best 5 players he saw playing, and he didn't include Ronaldo on that list, and said Ronaldo was on his level, too, and didn't belong in that list because he was above it. That's my take from all of this. If both have said this from each other, we can give our opinions and discuss things, but if both players have said it, that matters way more to me than my own opinion and everyone else's.

Ronaldo will always be my favorite player but Messi is just special and, honestly, a great guy, too.
Edit: also I don't wanna be unfair to Maradona, but I just can't see as of today why I personally would consider him better than Messi. But I didn't watch Maradona play, so...
Good post this and pretty much sums up my feelings on it.

Zen

He's just lost his GOAT status for putting that dressing gown on. Ronaldo would never.... (until he officially signs for Saudi)

Swoobs

Supports
Florentina
Saw a few deluded posts here, still eagerly waiting for the alternate realities of cal and co. Work for your 50 cents man!

matsdf

I'm so fecking tired of this guy. Will celebrate the day he retires.