g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Lionel Messi is OFFICIALLY the Greatest Player of all Time (CONFIRMED OFFICIAL)

sepulturite

Ronaldo is, was and always will be better. The fact that Messi had better players around him for whole career doesn't change that fact.
:lol: I can't believe there is still people who think this after everything that's happened with Ronaldo

el3mel

Ronaldo did well to keep the competition tough for long time and having an equal record of Ballon D'Or wins with Messi for some time but that was bound to happen eventually. Ronaldo was a beast physically but once he lost this, his decline was inevitable. Messi is the complete package, him still leading teams while being way past his best was predictable considering his skill set.

tinfish

Supports
Arsenal
I think Pele is gonna bite the dust soon based on this. He can’t defend his status no longer.

killerboi2

Hard to argue against WC winner being GOAT. He did everything anyone could have asked for. In tennis people still argue for Djokovic as GOAT though even though Nadal has the slam record. That situation is still ongoing though.

AndySmith1990

This win for Messi is like Tom Brady's last 2 or 3 Super Bowl wins.

People kinda knew he was the GOAT, but you'd have either hipsters or haters arguing otherwise.

Now, no one can really argue anymore.
Same with Osullivan before he won his 7th World title. Although far less people give a shit about snooker, but point stands

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Best I've seen easily.

And a wonderful performance in the final from him. 2 goals but some of his passing was sensational too

mu4c_20le

What higher highs does Maradona have?

Messi scored 91 goals and contributed 22 goals for club and country in 69 games. Maradona at his highest cannot compete with that level of Messi.

Messi carried Argentina to this WC win pretty much, which is the highest high for Maradona.

So not only has Messi matched Maradona in a WC, everything he has done at club level for the last 20 years is just the icing on the cake.

You really are clutching at straws.
Maradona played for Napoli most of his career, the equivalent of Atletico Madrid.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Peak performance wise Maradona is still better two me.

But other than that, it's hard to deny his greatness, we've been blessed to witness his brilliance.

Cassanata99

Do you think he'll be revered as a living god like Maradona was? I don't see much between them now after this victory
No I don't think he will. Maradona was a much bigger personality. The Argentinians revere him because he represented the working class. I don't think they will ever have that same connection with Messi. They'll love him, but not to same degree.

Reactions: Penna

TheLord

And if somebody did a poll on Ronaldo vs. Messi, then Messi would probably gather >90% votes, as long as the confounders - United, Barca, Real, PSG, and Juventus fans - aren't allowed to vote.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Ronaldo did well to keep the competition tough for long time and having an equal record of Ballon D'Or wins with Messi for some time but that was bound to happen eventually. Ronaldo was a beast physically but once he lost this, his decline was inevitable. Messi is the complete package, him still leading teams while being way past his best was predictable considering his skill set.
But Messi moved to a farmer's league and basically took a year off to prepare for this tournament. He's washed.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Messi just smashed all the arguments, "didn't win trophy with NT", "Didn't win WC".

Won the world cup, best player in the tournament and also scored a brace in finals. Amazing end to his career.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Do you think he'll be revered as a living god like Maradona was? I don't see much between them now after this victory
Maradona will definitely have more romance around him with the Hand of God and that solo dribble against England a couple of years after Falkland War.

Eli Zee

Smug prick, Maradonna is clear

As is any player with Ronaldo in their names
defijitely not Christiano ronaldo.. that's laughable.

Messi can do everything ronaldo can, and more... plus he is far more efficient and the stats show it

GazTheLegend

The debate is over. This will be a very short and cordial thread with everyone just agreeing.

Form an orderly queue, one post per person. Thank you and goodnight.
Completely agree, lock the thread it's impossible for anyone to argue the case anymore.

Pyroblazer

That's a hot jacket, man
https://www.espn.com/sports/insider...messi-world-cup-proves-best-male-athlete-ever

When you read that article I really wonder how anyone can put Ronaldo ahead of him? Would love to see some good arguments and not the same tiresome nonsense like he played with shit teammates etc...

Maradona and Pele I understand, different eras so difficult to compare and they had the World Cup over me. But Ronaldo never made sense to me.

Sweet Square

Nah due to what Maradona did in 86(And the fact he played his early years in Argentina)and the politics around it.

Tbh will be a positive for both Argentina and Messi.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Yeah that's just not true, Ronaldo is on that Pele/maradona level if not above in his own right. Let's not take the piss now.
He's not.

Tier 1 : messi,Maradona,Pele.
Tier 2 : cryuff, Beckenbauer, Ronaldo,di estefano.

el3mel

But Messi moved to a farmer's league and basically took a year off to prepare for this tournament. He's washed.
Yeah, so ? No one is saying he's not past his best. He still has enough skill set to be useful even while being washed out. Ronaldo without his physical abilities is a hinderance more than a help. He does nothing for the team when he's not scoring.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Messi is an inspiration to those kids on the pitch with him right now. Proving that you don't have to grow up before fulfilling your dreams.

Castia

Peak performance wise Maradona is still better two me.

But other than that, it's hard to deny his greatness, we've been blessed to witness his brilliance.

I don't mean to be a dick but how many times did you actually watch him play?

Messi scored almost half of Maradonas goals in 1 calendar year ffs both Messi and Ronaldo are miles clear

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
What higher highs does Maradona have?

Messi scored 91 goals and contributed 22 goals for club and country in 69 games. Maradona at his highest cannot compete with that level of Messi.

Messi carried Argentina to this WC win pretty much, which is the highest high for Maradona.

So not only has Messi matched Maradona in a WC, everything he has done at club level for the last 20 years is just the icing on the cake.

You really are clutching at straws.
Napoli almost got relegated just before he went there. Won them two titles.

Messi is fantastic, no one denies that, but winning titles with that Napoli team is different to that Barca team.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Futile effort. He's not even in Top 50 for me, until Piers Morgan approves him.