Lionel Messi - Performances

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He was incredible yesterday. To think that there are people on this forum who'd have him at City, "just to have him in the PL." Not a chance I'd have him in the PL unless he joined us - he's otherworldly and he'd destroy the league. Love watching him, but not if he were winning City the title.
We also have people who want him in the league so that everyone can see how he wouldn't destroy the PL. Yeah, no thanks. City would walk the league trampling on our faces with him in their team. I'd rather not risk that horrible outcome.

Fenomeno9

People were too quick to right off Barca. As long as Messi is playing, they have a chance against any team IMO.

The Argentinean

Supports
Supports compatriots in Europe
Imagine not thinking he's the GOAT :wenger:

I still think he's in debt with Argentinians, though

MuranoLover

Somehow I see him more relaxed after Neymar is off , thinking if being friends with him made Messi let him play and do more on the pitch than he would let anyone else and this way limited himself - if Barca were to rely only mostly on Messi , maybe they would have had bigger success in the last 2 years

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots
Imagine not thinking he's the GOAT :wenger:

I still think he's in debt with Argentinians, though
You must have no bias considering your username :p

Honestly speaking, he's arguably the best all around player of all time whilst CR7 is arguably the greatest goal scoring machine of all time. Ronaldo is also less dependant on supporting cast whilst Messi has had the fortune of being surrounded by elite talent his entire career both club and international.

Deleted member 101472

You must have no bias considering your username :p

Honestly speaking, he's arguably the best all around player of all time whilst CR7 is arguably the greatest goal scoring machine of all time. Ronaldo is also less dependant on supporting cast whilst Messi has had the fortune of being surrounded by elite talent his entire career both club and international.
for the past two seasons ronaldo has had the best midfield in the world supporting him.

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots
for the past two seasons ronaldo has had the best midfield in the world supporting him.
Yes but he's proven it prior specifically internationally with Portugal and much lesser teams compared to the Barca sides Messi has been on and the top10 ranked* Argentine sides.

I'm sure you get what I'm saying.

* = edit

Last edited:

Deleted member 101472

Yes but he's proven it prior specifically internationally with Portugal and much lesser teams compared to the Barca sides Messi has been on and the top10 tables Argentine sides.

i think both are so far ahead of the rest of the players on their team its a non point.

It will be exciting to see Ronaldo back in action though, pretty much guaranteed back to back hat tricks coming up.

Zen

And Messi has also proven it in lesser teams than his all-time great Pep era team....so not overly sure what the point is?

Suedesi

Somehow I see him more relaxed after Neymar is off , thinking if being friends with him made Messi let him play and do more on the pitch than he would let anyone else and this way limited himself - if Barca were to rely only mostly on Messi , maybe they would have had bigger success in the last 2 years
It's early in the season, but how funny would it be if Messi/Barca completely outshine Neymar/PSG again?

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots
And Messi has also proven it in lesser teams than his all-time great Pep era team....so not overly sure what the point is?
Tbh he was still on the rise and raw prior to the arrival of Pep / didn't put up the same numbers then as he did after.

His career years began the same season Pep arrived which is not a coincidence. Yes he was still very talented before and despite the great Pep era teams he was still surrounded by a lot of talented players from the get-go.

And don't forget about internationally like I've said. Ronaldo won the Euros with Portugal which no one expected lol. Sure he didn't play the finals due to injury but it was because of him they got that far. Messi has struggled to win Copa America and has been a runner up 3 times losing to Chile 2 of those times not to mention choking in crucial moments. And WC not scoring in the knock out stages. Not a knock on him as I believe he's the best all around player of all time but you can't turn a blind eye to those things.

Deleted member 101472

Tbh he was still on the rise and raw prior to the arrival of Pep / didn't put up the same numbers then as he did after.

His career years began the same season Pep arrived which is not a coincidence. Yes he was still very talented before and despite the great Pep era teams he was still surrounded by a lot of talented players from the get-go.

And don't forget about internationally like I've said. Ronaldo won the Euros with Portugal which no one expected lol. Sure he didn't play the finals due to injury but it was because of him they got that far. Messi has struggled to win Copa America and has been a runner up 3 times losing to Chile 2 of those times not to mention choking in crucial moments. And WC not scoring in the knock out stages. Not a knock on him as I believe he's the best all around player of all time but you can't turn a blind eye to those things.
It just comes down to what pleases peoples eyes more. For me, matching Ronaldo's goalscoring exploits whilst also being arguably the greatest passer of a ball ever puts Messi a tier above.

Aidan Azar

Supports
Chelsea
I don't understand why people use Portugal winning the Euros as something that Ronaldo has over Messi. Ronaldo helped them to the final but barely played in it, Messi has also gotten his team to the finals on multiple occasions, he just wasn't lucky enough to have someone come off the bench and score a winner from 30+ yards. If Lamela or someone had banged in a winner in the Copa America while Messi was sat on the bench would that make Messi a better player?

VancouverUtdFan

Supports
Canucks + NE Patriots
It just comes down to what pleases peoples eyes more. For me, matching Ronaldo's goalscoring exploits whilst also being arguably the greatest passer of a ball ever puts Messi a tier above.
That's just completely off imho. Messi is a great passer but no way is he the best passer ever lol. I could easily name a handful of players off the top of my head that were/are clearly better.

What makes Messi great is that he can do a little bit of everything at around an all time top10 rate which is amazing and he might have the greatest IQs ever for an attacking player which rounds it all together / the unselfishishness.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
No more Messi vs Ronaldo discussions, please. Especially all the World Cup + EURO + Copa América business that's been done to death. Ref. OP:
The other threads have devolved into a complete unmitigated clusterfeck and are truly beyond salvaging.

Use this thread to discuss everything to do with Lionel Messi moving forward.

This thread is NOT for discussing Ronaldo, or for petty pathetic little digs at other posters. It is not for comparing the two players. It is not for arguing over who loves who more.
Use this thread instead: https://www.redcafe.net/threads/messi-v-ronaldo.400526/page-114

Eddy_JukeZ

I do think Messi has lost some pace since like 2011 or 2012, but he is still explosive.

I actually think he's looked very explosive this season so far compared to the last two seasons.

Just brilliant as ever.

De Portago

Supports
Red Star
His finishing since the start of the season has been absolutely razor sharp, probably best since 2011/12 or so. Looks like he has something to prove which is a really scary prospect if he keeps it up.

Luke1995

Steady on, he's only just turned 30. A bit early to be positively surprised about his pace not going off a cliff yet.
I think it's fair to be surprised. Rooney, Torres and C.Ronaldo lost their paces before 30.

amolbhatia50k

Messi has definitely lost pace. He's still got great acceleration but he's that incredible burst he once had that combined with his control could wipe out three defenders in no time. Which is normal. Very few players maintain their speed past 30. Robben is one of the few top players who did it.

amolbhatia50k

That's just completely off imho. Messi is a great passer but no way is he the best passer ever lol. I could easily name a handful of players off the top of my head that were/are clearly better.

What makes Messi great is that he can do a little bit of everything at around an all time top10 rate which is amazing and he might have the greatest IQs ever for an attacking player which rounds it all together / the unselfishishness.
Urgh.

He's the best creative passer I've seen. But passing is even more subjective than shooting. For example, Xavi was the king of central midfield passing. Messi doesn't do as much probing, patient passing as Xavi used to. He's more about playing the perfectly weighted pass to open teams up or set up a chance for someone. Then again, he has the responsibility to score a goal a game pretty much so can't exactly spend his time playmaking from that deep.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
Messi's shot accuracy and timing is one of the best I've seen so far. Keepers mostly dont have a chance if he has a half clear angle on goal. (He is likely to create that angle for himself by dribbling, quick change of directions too).

For me the best player currently.

Womp

idiot
On form he's the best ever imo. A shame his form has been hot and cold over the past few years.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
So about that first goal yesterday, do you guys think it was a mis-hit or was that just such a precise finish? Ridiculous footballer to be honest.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Yes but he's proven it prior specifically internationally with Portugal and much lesser teams compared to the Barca sides Messi has been on and the top10 ranked* Argentine sides.

* = edit
I hate to be that guy, but Cristiano's international record is vastly bloated due to beating weak international teams. He hasn't shown much, thus far, in his international career when it came to the big games against elite teams. His record against top tier international team is pretty abysmal, meanwhile against lower-ranked teams, he is the second coming of Pele.

Schneckerl

So about that first goal yesterday, do you guys think it was a mis-hit or was that just such a precise finish? Ridiculous footballer to be honest.
messi tries to aim into the corners, that's why he hits the post so often

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
Leo hit the back of the net, the post and even Buffon's back. Skomina was a poor referee on the night, allowing just about any Juventus player to go through Barcelona players without a booking. By the time Messi was eventually booked for complaining about the fouls and lack of yellows he proceeded to impose himself even more on the night. We don't get to see an angry Messi much but when we do, it's usually something special

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Messi has definitely lost pace. He's still got great acceleration but he's that incredible burst he once had that combined with his control could wipe out three defenders in no time. Which is normal. Very few players maintain their speed past 30. Robben is one of the few top players who did it.
Very true. Didn't he have a serious knee (or thigh injury) 2-3 years ago that truly affected him ? Or am I imagining things ?