Lionel Messi

Cloud7

Nobody comes close to Messi.
No one. His skill set is insane. Not only is he pretty much unstoppable on his own, but his vision and playmaking skills are second to none.

I’m young, but in my years of watching football I’ve never seen another player who was so devastating both on his own and as a creator.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
I finally got around to watching that compilation video that was posted a day or two back. That fecking Geordie commentator does my head in. Easily the worst thing about Messi :lol:

the_irish123

This isn't a novelty, Messi is great against Betis, Lyon, Girona.. but has been shitting the bed in big games lately.

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
Nah Modric is light years ahead of him.
Modric has been one of if not the best midfielders this decade though. I agree that you can't justify giving him the Ballon'dor ahead of Messi or Ronaldo any of those years, but what a player he is as well, and with several qualities neither Messi nor Ronaldo has.

Schneckerl

This isn't a novelty, Messi is great against Betis, Lyon, Girona.. but has been shitting the bed in big games lately.
I'm sure if Barca gets eliminated it gets added to the list of big games Messi has been shitting the bed in. Else it's just Lyon.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Wtf are you talking about?! He’s been immense all season. He was solid in the Madrid matches (definitely the most recent one) and has been the best player in the UCL so far

mav_9me

Modric has been one of if not the best midfielders this decade though. I agree that you can't justify giving him the Ballon'dor ahead of Messi or Ronaldo any of those years, but what a player he is as well, and with several qualities neither Messi nor Ronaldo has.
Hmmm, which would that be?

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
So We're going to play against this demi-god?

Of course. ManUtd always do it the hard way.

Mike Smalling, please.

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham
Hmmm, which would that be?
His engine is unreal, and defensively his reading of the game and defensive positioning are top notch. Otherwise I think he rival Messi in a few qualities such as press resistance, understanding of space and passing. There is obviously more that Messi is good at and as an attacker he is miles ahead, but I don't think he would be a better deep lying midfielder than Modric.

InfiniteBoredom

There is obviously more that Messi is good at and as an attacker he is miles ahead, but I don't think he would be a better deep lying midfielder than Modric.
Have you seen the sheer amount of tackles he rode in his career? Or his creative range of passings?

Messi would easily dwarf the likes of Pirlo, Scholes, Xavi, Modric if he has been trained to be a midfield metronome, but he’s far too good to be playing that deep. His 07-12 version can play in any position on the field besides CBs and target man/lone CF and be the all time great of that position.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Have you seen the sheer amount of tackles he rode in his career? Or his creative range of passings?

Messi would easily dwarf the likes of Pirlo, Scholes, Xavi, Modric if he has been trained to be a midfield metronome, but he’s far too good to be playing that deep. His 07-12 version can play in any position on the field besides CBs and target man/lone CF and be the all time great of that position.
Even now I don't think anyone of them can seen passes like Messi do from deep positions. Apart from defensive positioning and work rate, there is nothing that these players can do that Messi can't, or better than Messi.

His passing from deep is just unreal for an attacker. Defense splitting passes, inch perfect through balls, passing between lines.

Chicharo

He's one of the greatest footballers of all time
But he never achieved anything with Argentina... His personal issues with Icardi, the cocaches, steppin up when ADM and Kuhn were injured... he did nothing. Not close to Maradona

hellohello

Supports
Tottenham

I agree with you, I don't mean to downplay Messi as a creative player from deep, but rather to respond to a sarcastic comment downplaying Modric who is one of the best midfielders I've ever seen. I said Modric could rival Messi at passing from deep and has qualities that are alongside Messi in ball retention etc while excelling as an all around midfielder because of his engine and defensive understanding of the game. In the final third however I think Messi sometimes see what no one else can including Modric, who himself is exceptional.

Even now I don't think anyone of them can seen passes like Messi do from deep positions. Apart from defensive positioning and work rate, there is nothing that these players can do that Messi can't, or better than Messi.

His passing from deep is just unreal for an attacker. Defense splitting passes, inch perfect through balls, passing between lines.
I definitely think he's as good as anyone, although there have been many examples over the years of players who are fantastic passers from deep and who control the tempo of games so well such as Xavi, Modric, Scholes and so on (which is why I earlier said rival Messi instead of being better than him). I think there is an argument to be made that Messi is a better Xavi than Xavi as well as being Messi. He is truly unreal.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
But he never achieved anything with Argentina... His personal issues with Icardi, the cocaches, steppin up when ADM and Kuhn were injured... he did nothing. Not close to Maradona
And Maradona isn't close to him when it comes to club achievements either.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
To be fair, he's had a few great tournaments, especially one Copa. Not close to Maradona, that's true, but for any other footballer his international career would've been considered a success. The lack of a trademark international tournament is the only thing that stops him from being considered the GOAT in my eyes (especially since Pelé had managed to win 2 World Cups before and after his peak despite missing 2 of his potentially best tournaments due to injuries).

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
And Maradona isn't close to him when it comes to club achievements either.
Can't believe some 7-8 games completely settles who is GOAT and who isn't. It's not Messi's mistake that Higuain missed so many chances in so many finals.

When it comes to career as a whole, Messi is just unbelievably good and better than anyone.

InfiniteBoredom

Can't believe some 7-8 games completely settles who is GOAT and who isn't. It's not Messi's mistake that Higuain missed so many chances in so many finals.

When it comes to career as a whole, Messi is just unbelievably good and better than anyone.
Every single Argentinian forward shat the bed big time in the WC final, Messi created 4-5 great chances in the first half and somehow they fluffed them all.

I won a lot of money thanks to that though.

Niclas

It is actually unreal we are watching the best players in the world in the top leagues, and then we have this guy.

Unreal.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hemant

Consistency from this guy is mind boggling ..easily one of the best

Hoof the ball

:lol: That's just off the charts

What is "smt passes"?
Synchronized metronome training

Not sure how it applies to proper matches since it’s used more for training
Semester passes... I believe it's got something to do with GPA and cum GPA.

X-axis : Smart passes per 90
Y-axis : Through passes per 90

Smt Pass - Smart Pass

definition :-

It is for significant pass or smart pass in general. Something more than a simple pass, not so easy to be done. There has to be some idea in the pass, something creative, when the play is cutting the lines (playing or passing between lines) and winning some advantage for his teammates with this pass, leading them in good position to attack. The pass should be between 2-3 of opposition players.

ekestubbe

Stats against Real Madrid: 38 games, 26 goals, 14 assists
Stats against Atl. Madrid: 37 games, 28 goals, 7 assists

Shitting the bed :lol:

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
He is a much better player than Maradona was - I idolised Maradona when I was a kid but Messi is on another level. Whether he wins the world cup or not is irrelevant in my eyes.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
What do you mean he did nothing? He has 4 finals and a gold medal with them. There is nothing and there is this. Not close.

Literally a single moment of luck in any of these games and the whole argument disappears.

Tommy

Supports
Liverpool
What do you mean he did nothing? He has 4 finals and a gold medal with them. There is nothing and there is this. Not close.

Literally a single moment of luck in any of these games and the whole argument disappears.
If only he'd got injured during the final versus Germany & willed an average teammate to scuff a goal in extra time.

Tommy

Supports
Liverpool
Apparently Eleven Sports have a YouTube channel like the BT one now. Either that, or it's a fake. Either way, full highlights of the Betis match.

JSArsenal

I wonder what Messi plans to do after retirement. He's a multi-millionaire but still. He doesn't come across as the pundit type, perhaps management or a coaching role?

zkap

Supports
Barça
To me, what he did against Betis is the essence of football. Such skill and accuracy, I find it very amusing that someone thinks there's anything better out there.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Compare goalscoring and club trophies and maradonna pales in comparison.