Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

MUnchies

If you want a handy example easily found in highlight, just look at how Adams simply chest-controlled Bazunu's long ball and took a shot at 38th minute. You don't see this in PL.
You don't see this in the PL :lol: :lol: . What PL games have you been watching over the years? seriously. Worse has happened in the PL, your post doesn't even make sense.

Ekeke

There have been many of us, who have been saying that for 4-5 years on here. For some reason, he has a really passionate fanbase, who defends him better than he does.

Martinez has been a breath of fresh air. He's not immaculate and there are situations where he's susceptible but he's a very good prospect.
Well no, they havent been saying that. We've all been saying he isnt good enough. I've been saying he doesnt look like he wants to defend.

Bobski

Not just stat sites. I see many people here who "watched a different game" struggle too.
I still think he had a very good game in the main, but there were definitely a few moments where his size was an issue.

Night and day with someone like Lindelof as some have already mentioned. Lisandro is impactful, Lindelof a bystander.

hmchan

I still think he had a very good game in the main, but there were definitely a few moments where his size was an issue.

Night and day with someone like Lindelof as some have already mentioned. Lisandro is impactful, Lindelof a bystander.
Like I said apart from these, Martinez is solid overall. We just need to sort out a way to avoid opponents from exploiting his weakness, like how Smalling accompanied Blind back in the days.

For me one of the reasons why we couldn't control the game just now is that we allowed Sotton to control those long balls too easily. We can't afford these to happen, especially if the opponent has a more prolific striker.

Idxomer

He has a good pass on him between the line but we basically have no midfield to make use of that.

Alvaro Maestre

Last Man Standing 2 finalist 2023/24
He's leading the defensive line and is what we have been missing all this time. You can how he actively talks and celebrates any good play.

Tony247

If you want a handy example easily found in highlight, just look at how Adams simply chest-controlled Bazunu's long ball and took a shot at 38th minute. You don't see this in PL.

There are also plenty of similar examples in the second half, which I will pay attention when I review the game (and hopefully make a personal highlight if I have time).

Yes apart from these Martinez is solid. But you also can't turn a blind eye on his weakness. The "5/5 aerial duels" is clearly delusive and ignores all those duels where he backed off and gave up to contest.
I think that's okay. Player are rarely perfect in every aspect of their game. It's a team game and where he lacks others should chip in and vice versa.

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
Arguably been our best player three games in a row. Can't wait to see how we look when he, Malacia, and Casemiro are all properly settled.

AndyMUFC

Him and Varane compliment each other really well. We've definitely missed players with his aggression for some time.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert

There are also plenty of similar examples in the second half, which I will pay attention when I review the game (and hopefully make a personal highlight if I have time).

Yes apart from these Martinez is solid. But you also can't turn a blind eye on his weakness. The "5/5 aerial duels" is clearly delusive and ignores all those duels where he backed off and gave up to contest.
Adams being able to control that ball was on Varane.

I also think that exact situation show why it is not really a problem and quite easy to defend against. It was really difficult for Adams to score their (xG of 0,04) and Varane should have made it even more difficult.

CallyRed

I'm just happy we can chant Argentina to someone who I'm confident won't turn out to be a prick.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Has anyone mentioned that he's only 5'9"? :lol:

I wasn't sure about him to be honest. However, he's adjusting rapidly to English football and looking great value. Long may it continue.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
I told you guys that he will be a fan favorite in no time. Those who fell for the too small crap were drama queens

Drainy

Is a poster really complaining that the 5/5 stats for aerial duels is misleading because the player correctly picks when to attack the ball in the air or if to go for the second ball/ defend a ground duel?

Valencia Shin Crosses

It's a massive difference - night & day.
It’s why I always wanted Bailly to stay fit and come good. He’s another very good front foot style defender and you could see the difference in how we imposed ourselves when he played well. Problem is he’s crocked and prone to stupidity when out of the side for a long time so he was never going to make it here. But he’s the only defender with that style that we’ve really had in a long time before Martinez

A-man

Very good at intercepting and clearing the ball, stopped several attacks by doing that when stepping up. The negative; a bit weak/poor in the box at some occasions and the whole back line were slow on the ball.

-Supreme-

His low central gravity, agility and aggressiveness stood out for me, and we have only seen gleams of his passing ability..there will be more to come when we start to press higher up the pitch

Jcrossley94

Huge fan of this player already. Aggressive and passionate, looks like he has such a strong will to win. So he’s not the biggest? We had a fridge in his position before him and it didn’t help him.

these pundits mentioning his size before he’d even played, lazy Criticism ! Stats don’t lie.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Very good at intercepting and clearing the ball, stopped several attacks by doing that when stepping up. The negative; a bit weak/poor in the box at some occasions and the whole back line were slow on the ball.
I think it was much more nobody giving them an option than our defenders being slow to distribute it. Eriksen was dropping deep beside them, McTominay avoids the ball like the plague, and Rashford and Elanga are both going to lose it as soon as you give it to them. Sancho was about the only semi-viable option regularly making himself available to get the ball forward.

Red-17

Is a poster really complaining that the 5/5 stats for aerial duels is misleading because the player correctly picks when to attack the ball in the air or if to go for the second ball/ defend a ground duel?
If a player has to back out of an aerial duel because they are unlikely to win it while another center back goes up, challenges for it, and wins it because they are more capable, then yes it absolutely is an important factor to consider. The aerial duel stat has already been shown in this thread to be incredibly misleading/flat out wrong.

It can be true that Martinez is making the correct decision by backing out and playing for second ball because he is unlikely to win it, and also true that it is a weakness that he may have to back out of a challenge in the first place that Varane or Maguire may easily win.

lex talionis

It would be daft to argue that a defender who backs out of an aerial duel but nevertheless wins the ball should somehow be discredited.

Status
Not open for further replies.