Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Classical Mechanic

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Been saying for a year that Lindelof is a defender who doesnt look like he wants to defend. Lisandro is the opposite of that. .
Yep. Complete opposites. Lindelof is the most non defending defender I've ever seen. Loves backing off and avoiding any contact or tackle whatsoever.

jesperjaap

Very good today but had two moments in which he was lucky to not essentially give a goal away. Love that he’s proactive though, we needed that bad.
Yes never heard of him before our links tbh. I think he has played well so far, even in the Brentford game for a debut where he literally got labelled a flop in this thread....show how fickle a lot of the fan base are game by game.

I like him so far, but lets not judge him aftere three games. People saying our new Vidic....he is a different player. One big reason I am not judging him yet is the player he reminds me of who did very well in his first season here....is Bailly. And thats where your comment is so valid, Martinez has been very good and he is very pro-active, but he has had the rub of the green a few times the last couple of games

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Only his first few games, coming from weaker League. It looks like he and Varane are United POTY candidates already.

meamth

If he can adjust this quickly into the premier League, I can't wait to see when he actually adapted.

We got a gem of a signing.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Yep. Complete opposites. Lindelof is the most non defending defender I've ever seen. Loves backing off and avoiding any contact or tackle whatsoever.
His style of backing off while put his hands behind, just pissed me off to no end.

criticalanalysis

Been saying for a year that Lindelof is a defender who doesnt look like he wants to defend. Lisandro is the opposite of that. He's in there next to a guy much taller than him and he wants to challenge for the ball in the air and win the most headers on the pitch. He's next to a champions league winner and wants to do most of the active defending trusting his instincts to win the ball again and again. He's everything you could want from a CB other than the thing that it turns out you dont actually need from both your CBs

Also theres a chance people will run with the narrative "yeah but he wants to attack every ball and that will cost us" like he's a rash looney ala Bailly at his worst. He doesnt play like that at all. Most of the time he's completely measured and assured in what he's doing. Just the occasional stretch and testing of his limits where on a bad day it might not come off.
There have been many of us, who have been saying that for 4-5 years on here. For some reason, he has a really passionate fanbase, who defends him better than he does.

Martinez has been a breath of fresh air. He's not immaculate and there are situations where he's susceptible but he's a very good prospect.

Lecland07

Brilliant game - looks like a cracking signing so far. Not jumping the gun, but once again is showing up those who doubted him without even seeing a game with us.

Wasn't even bad in the first two games, but took plenty of slack. He has been excellent in the last two games. Remember people bringing up that he doesn't start for Argentina? Well, the manager might need to reconsider if he continues like this.

RedDevilQuebecois

I think that was the Ajax in him. He was expecting the keeper to sweep up, but the ball seemed to stick a little on the ground and of course De Gea isn’t that kind of keeper. Nervy moment though.
Agree. Some reflexes from the Ajax days will take time to disappear completely, but Martinez is definitely going to get even better as he gets more accustomed to the Premier League and to his team. I honestly wasn't sure what to think of him after the first 2 matches, but I've never been happier to eat a lot of crow now that he is just beginning to show the extent of his worth.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Also worth noting that the aggression people like is what our recruitment department's preferred target Pau Torres (for all his own good qualities) wouldn't have brought.

justboy68

I watched a game where Adams was allowed to control almost every long ball from Bazunu.
That was after he'd given up rubbing up against Martinez and went closer to Malacia instead. Martinez literally won all of his aerial duels today.

hmchan

That was after he'd given up rubbing up against Martinez and went closer to Malacia instead. Martinez literally won all of his aerial duels today.
Martinez won all the duels because he gave up and didn't contest at all, so they weren't counted as duels.

Blood Mage

Was poor today but it's physically impossible for him not to get dominated by a big no.9 like Adams. I'm very confident with him against teams who don't have a striker like that.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
What a player.
But.. but he's too short. The first 2 defeats were insufferable to after the facts. Media trying to push their "too short" narrative during that time and pretending he doesn't amount to nothing as a defender despite him actually being fairly solid both those games but since we lost and the hysteria was going on, the media pinned every problems and mistakes on him.

Kag

Nothing more annoying than a narrative in football. It’s been decided that he’s weak and small so that’s that: he loses every duel.

On today’s basis it’s nonsense. Adams, who is a wily bastard, shrugged him off once, which is what Adams will do to his rival defenders at least once a game every single week.

I’m pleased he’s settling in.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Teta wanted to utilise him as a right back

Would have been a mistake in my opinion , his reading of the game is too good to be wasted there.

hmchan

I don't remember this.
If you want a handy example easily found in highlight, just look at how Adams simply chest-controlled Bazunu's long ball and took a shot at 38th minute. You don't see this in PL.

There are also plenty of similar examples in the second half, which I will pay attention when I review the game (and hopefully make a personal highlight if I have time).

Yes apart from these Martinez is solid. But you also can't turn a blind eye on his weakness. The "5/5 aerial duels" is clearly delusive and ignores all those duels where he backed off and gave up to contest.

Bobski

If you want a handy example easily found in highlight, just look at how Adams simply chest-controlled Bazunu's long ball and took a shot at 38th minute. You don't see this in PL.

There are also plenty of similar examples in the second half, which I will pay attention when I review the game (and hopefully make a personal highlight if I have time).

Yes apart from these Martinez is solid. But you also can't turn a blind eye on his weakness. The "5/5 aerial duels" is clearly delusive and ignores all those duels where he backed off and gave up to contest.
This is true, they were starting to get a fair bit of joy off long balls on top of Martinez/Malacia in the second, either winning it uncontested or picking up the second ball from short clearing headers. Stat sites struggle with aerial stuff.

NewUser777

Absolutely love his energy. Makes a few mistakes, but he will get them right. Exactly the kind of player we needed.

hmchan

This is true, they were starting to get a fair bit of joy off long balls on top of Martinez/Malacia in the second, either winning it uncontested or picking up the second ball from short clearing headers. Stat sites struggle with aerial stuff.
Not just stat sites. I see many people here who "watched a different game" struggle too.

RuudTom83

The media narrative is an odd one...its just so basic, with no actually evidence or explanation to back it up.

United's worst result this season came via 3 howlers from DDG, it had absolutely nothing to do with the CB's.

Status
Not open for further replies.