Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

El Jefe

Think him and Malacia are still getting used to the pace and physicality of the league. Naturally they'll be stronger and faster but it'll take a few months to a year for them to get to get there.

The good thing for us is that despite this, these two are absolute fighters and don't allow it to hinder their performance. I've seen them barged off the ball a few times but the intensity and desire they play with is excellent.

Vidic and Evra became physical beasts for us in about a year. When they first started they lost quite a lot of 50/50 duels due to strength. After a while Vidic was eating up every striker and Evra was scoring headers from corners. I usually hate the Vidic and Evra comparisons for any new player but for these two its their mentality that gives me hope that they will adapt even better to the PL long term.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
Any update on his injury? Looked like his groin? Must be a big doubt for Sociedad. And probably Palace too.
think it was just a by product of him lumping those big ol’ cajones around with him.

United Hobbit

It says so much that I was terrified when he went off that he'd be unavailable and we'd be stuck back with Harry again. Harry instantly made me nervous and you could sense the defence was more shaky when he was on.

His attitude is absolutely superb, he will be prone to picking up a red or too as he's so fiesty, but I love how he's driving everyone on and celebrating clearances, compared to meek Harry. Future captain for sure.

I also admit to developing a crush on him!

He definitely sums up the phrase small but mighty.

I do fear for him against the likes of Haaland, who is so big and strong. I just pray he and Varane stay fit. Obviously Dalot is now getting proper coaching but I wonder if having players who actually inspire confidence alongside him is helping him to look better as well

Olecurls99

Poor foul to give in the 1st minute and then overeager in the channel in the 2nd half. Other than that, as others have said, it was a good battle with Jesus and both players ended up 'winning' or edging battles. Overall though Varane and Martinez kept them at bay with plenty of support from Dalot and Malacia. Not perfect but overall a good defensive effort from the back four. With better Arsenal players, they could have taken their chances but that's for another day.

His passing through the lines was great. Would love to see how some may spin his passing as 'nothing special' anymore.
Got caught out under a bouncing ball for the Odegaard chance. They should have scored from that one and he needs to deal with that better.

Olecurls99

Definitely wasn't poor. Wasn't dominant, but wasn't bad either.

You have to take opposition into account and Jesus in current form is destroying defences all over the league.

He was doing well outside of the box, but once it got inside we kept him very quiet.
Jesus set up Odegaard for an absolute sitter when Martinez got caught out. He's been fantastic so far but let's not be blind to his few mistakes. That was very poor defending and shows that front foot defending isn't always the answer.

Nick7

Maguire was already standing at the side line prepared for a sub so I think Martinez just sat down to waste some time. But of course, the reason why Maguire was about to come on could have been because Martinez felt something. Or just to give Maguire some minutes before EL on Thursday. We’ll see next PL game.
Yeah Rashford went down at the exact same time and he was coming off too.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Jesus set up Odegaard for an absolute sitter when Martinez got caught out. He's been fantastic so far but let's not be blind to his few mistakes. That was very poor defending and shows that front foot defending isn't always the answer.
It's football, they're playing against a very good attack and across 90 minutes they're bound to make a mistake.

Was he flawless? no, was he poor in general? no.

dutchred

United Hobbit said
I do fear for him against the likes of Haaland, who is so big and strong.

Haaland played for Dortmund when Ajax played them and he didn't score

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
He's an extremely intelligent player, and reads the game well.

Terranova

Supports
United/Ajax
Appogies if this has already been posted, but well worth a watch. Had to laugh at some of those challenges. No questioning his determination that's for sure!

People saying he would get bullied. Martinez is the bully :lol:

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
United Hobbit said
I do fear for him against the likes of Haaland, who is so big and strong.

Haaland played for Dortmund when Ajax played them and he didn't score
While I have never been in the «its physics you know»-camp, this will be quite different. Haaland at Man City will be an entirely different for Martinez. First, Man City will dominate and attack more agsinst MU than Dortmund vs Ajax. Second, City will be better at playing to Haalands strenghts vs Martinez weakness than Dortmund.

Haaland vs Martinez will be very, very interesting. Scary, but interesting. If he pull through that game, the size discussion should be buried for a while.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
While I have never been in the «its physics you know»-camp, this will be quite different. Haaland at Man City will be an entirely different for Martinez. First, Man City will dominate and attack more agsinst MU than Dortmund vs Ajax. Second, City will be better at playing to Haalands strenghts vs Martinez weakness than Dortmund.

Haaland vs Martinez will be very, very interesting. Scary, but interesting. If he pull through that game, the size discussion should be buried for a while.
I'd actually say Haaland will struggle in a side by side battle because of their centre of gravity.

Martinez is short but stocky, seems to have great balance and knows how to use his weight. Haaland is so much taller he'd have to be almost leaning over to push back.

The speed difference will be more important than size IMO.

dutchred

There are some assumptions there
First, Man City will dominate
will be better at playing to Haalands strenghts

ETH is a good planner and he planned for Haaland with Timber and Martinez (both quite small).
I'm sure he will have a plan for City with or without Haaland

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Gabriel Jesus was far too good for both Martinez and Varane.
He didn't score. That's the difference.

When Martinez and Varane go back into the dressing room at full time they'll be happy with the 3 points.

Jesus will be happy at his movement but they dropped points.

A-man

There are some assumptions there
First, Man City will dominate
will be better at playing to Haalands strenghts

ETH is a good planner and he planned for Haaland with Timber and Martinez (both quite small).
I'm sure he will have a plan for City with or without Haaland
I would say it’s highly likely that City will dominate. We have been playing a low line of defence with little possession the last games. City basically always dominate their games.

It is not just Haaland that could score. City scored 99 goals without Haaland last season.

That said, I still think we have a chance to beat them. However it is a bit naive and not logical to say that he would not be a problem for us just because he didn’t score any goals against Ajax.

dutchred

I would say it’s highly likely that City will dominate. We have been playing a low line of defence with little possession the last games. City basically always dominate their games.

It is not just Haaland that could score. City scored 99 goals without Haaland last season.

That said, I still think we have a chance to beat them. However it is a bit naive and not logical to say that he would not be a problem for us just because he didn’t score any goals against Ajax.
I never suggested he would not be a problem. All of City will be a problem, What I'm saying is ETH will have a plan and the plan will not be totally dependent on Martinez. Whether it works or not We'll see

NLunited

Every team needs some scrappy players like Martinez in it. We also have Malacia and Antony, and of course McTominay and Fred.

People forget defending has to be done as a team, don’t focus too much on individual actions. Sometimes that’s not fair.

joedirt87

Can't believe we wanted him as CDM just because he lost 1 header and didn't look good next to maguire.
Some of us didn't care about his height, just wanted him to be tried there potentially because he was the only DM on the roster before Casemiro was signed.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
He has been great - no doubt about it. But I'm not fully convinced yet not because of his height though. He has a bit of Bailly and Rojo in him. Dives into the tackles or go for hard challenges. I will wait before I pass any conclusion.

florisW

Supports
Ajax
It says so much that I was terrified when he went off that he'd be unavailable and we'd be stuck back with Harry again. Harry instantly made me nervous and you could sense the defence was more shaky when he was on.

His attitude is absolutely superb, he will be prone to picking up a red or too as he's so fiesty, but I love how he's driving everyone on and celebrating clearances, compared to meek Harry. Future captain for sure.

I also admit to developing a crush on him!

He definitely sums up the phrase small but mighty.

I do fear for him against the likes of Haaland, who is so big and strong. I just pray he and Varane stay fit. Obviously Dalot is now getting proper coaching but I wonder if having players who actually inspire confidence alongside him is helping him to look better as well
He already owned Haaland last year in the CL

klayton88

He has been great - no doubt about it. But I'm not fully convinced yet not because of his height though. He has a bit of Bailly and Rojo in him. Dives into the tackles or go for hard challenges. I will wait before I pass any conclusion.
Can't remember where in the first half but he pulled out of a tackle at the last second because it was definitely going to be a penalty. In that moment I thought it showed great discipline.

criticalanalysis

No chance that was a pass. That was a let's get to HT without conceding hoof.
It was a controlled cushioned side footed pass (with power) to the wing. I'm sure he meant to get it away but it was directed too. I'd give benefit of the doubt because he had the whole field in front of him.

SAFMUTD

No chance that was a pass. That was a let's get to HT without conceding hoof.
Yeah I agree, that was definitely a shot to anywhere that result in a great pass by luck. He's been good in the last games but we're overating him, hope he keeps it up otherwise the hit from the fall will be really hard to take for many here.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Appogies if this has already been posted, but well worth a watch. Had to laugh at some of those challenges. No questioning his determination that's for sure!

Some real old-school challenges in there - especially some of those from when he was still playing in South America! :lol:

Dembeza

Seeing him on the training videos.

The sub against Arsenal should have been precaution.

Man Utd 0:1 Real Sociedad

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Lost one header and the ref decided to use him as the conduit through which to award the game to Sociedad, but other than that best player on the pitch by miles when he came on.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
So unlucky. The incompetence is just disgraceful.

Was by far the best player on the pitch when he came on.

Status
Not open for further replies.