View full 2023-24 profile

5.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

E-mal

We have to tone down how we rate our players. He is not really great at defending and has an obvious drawback in height. We have to accept that most managers will not want him as a central defender in a back four.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
One dodgy sub appearance while he's nowhere near match fitness and he's overrated. Vintage caf.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Same for me.
I never was a fan of his type of defenders (pit bull approach, last ditch tackles and passion). Ok, Vidic is exception but he was world class player.
Lisandro is a good defender (and his ball playing ability gives huge advantage to his team) but he is not THAT good as our fans think about him. He is upgraded version of Rojo.

Give me Rio or Nesta type of defenders any day of the week. Defenders who barely do tackle whole game but do their job with excellent anticipation and positioning.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Clearly rusty after another fairly bad injury.

Never confident in this sort of game against the new age Wimbledon type ball in air a lot merchants. And the aggression he puts in must be contributing to the injury record.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
I never was a fan of his type of defenders (pit bull approach, last ditch tackles and passion). Ok, Vidic is exception but he was world class player.
Lisandro is a good defender but he is not THAT good as our fans think about him. He is upgraded version of Rojo.

Give me Rio or Nesta type of defenders any day of the week. Defenders who barely do tackle whole game but do their job with excellent anticipation and positioning.
I see it same. Top class on the ball obviously but for me he's not what we really want at CB if we want to play a high line and he's a weakness on set pieces in both boxes.

I think a new manager would likely move to 3 at the back or use him at LB often to accommodate him.

Lisandro is a good defender (and his ball playing ability gives huge advantage to his team) but he is not THAT good as our fans think about him. He is upgraded version of Rojo.

The whole world would prefer a Rio or Nesta type player, but where are they?

Our teams biggest problem at the moment is attitude and he's got it in spades. He's merely a good footballer otherwise, in the same way that Eric Cantona was merely a good attacker. Just needs to get properly fit and settle back into the team.

Ekeke

Exactly what Brentford had over us today and why we were dominated

flameinthesun

Yeah he'll need time to get up to speed being out for so long and we do need his involvement. However the reality is he's a small defender, he will get outmuscled and he isn't cannavaro. There will always be a limit to how good he can be. When you look around at the CBs at Pool, City, Arsenal.....Martinez is the odd one out. He doesn't need to be replaced now but at some point we will need to get a bigger left sided centreback. Saying that, he is our best CB which isn't saying much about the CBs that we do have.

Vidooq

You could tell by the reaction of Ten Hag, and his facial expression, when Lindeloff went down and the physio showed the substation sign, that he was not willing to introduce Martinez to the game, but he simply had to, after 2 CB got injured today.

E-mal

There is nothing funny here, he is very rash and physically challenged. This is what we said about ETH earlier in the season and people said we were being reactive. He is not our biggest problem but we can’t play high line with players that are not quick and not good in the air.

Doracle

You could tell by the reaction of Ten Hag, and his facial expression, when Lindeloff went down and the physio showed the substation sign, that he was not willing to introduce Martinez to the game, but he simply had to, after 2 CB got injured today.
We had another CB on the bench didn’t we?

Ekeke

There is nothing funny here, he is very rash and physically challenged. This is what we said about ETH earlier in the season and people said we were being reactive. He is not our biggest problem but we can’t play high line with players that are not quick and not good in the air.
You are rash. He's had an injury plagued season and was thrown on because our other CB was already brought on and 2 CBs were knackered. He probably shouldnt have been on the bench and he certainly shouldnt be coming on in those circumstances in the condition hes in.

He's quick enough on the floor, he's not great in the air but there are 2 CBs and more importantly you cant play out from the back without defenders who can play out from the back. Lisandro is our only CB comfortable with this and thats our manager's plan A playing style. Its also the style of a lot of managers we might bring in to replace him

He played poorly today as you should expect

Stadjer

Has to come in because of two injuries to other centre backs. He didnt look anywhere near match fit. He obviously doesnt play well and now all of a sudden he is back to being too small, too slow, cant play a high line and a risk on set pieces. All of that wasnt a problem when he was totally match fit and was fantastic during his first season but after today it all of a sudden is problem again. He also is 'rash' now because it was a bad game. During all those good games it was praised as 'agressive' and 'on the front foot'.

One bad game from a not fit player doesnt turn a very good defender into a defender that isnt good enough anymore. Hopefully, and i also expect him, to be great again when he is fully match fit. He is very important to this team.

mu4c_20le

Memorable moment when he held onto the ball for a few seconds wondering what to do before suddenly turning and firing it towards Maguire's head, who ducked out of the way.

Nicoteiro

He’s top 3 CBs in PL. Will be in shape again soon and we will all laugh again to these people commenting here.

Of course he wasn’t supposed to play today but it’s good for him to have minutes. Even if he makes a couple mistakes in the process.

after all, I have to tolerate watching Bruno and coming here to read people defending him as if he was anywhere good to be playing for MUFC.

Ekeke

True. I believe he wanted to go for experience, as I'm not sure how Kambwala would've fared against Toney and Mbuemo, who were in the game big time.
Probably better than someone coming back from injury who got injured last time he was playing too early. And even if he didnt do any better it'd be good experience for a young player and whats expected

As is, putting him straight into a dumpster fire he could have got injured again. 2 fit CBs did...

pacifictheme

He didn't look fit and was very shite today. Probably not his fault really but he was rubbish.

Red00012

This thread is gone a bit nuts considering he was on for 20 mins. He’s now shite :lol:

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I hate this place sometimes. This is the reason why most sane people stay away after a defeat. The idiots just talk the loudest.

arthurka

He had a bad game but I am sure he wasn't supposed to play 25-30min today he just didn't look fit to me.

Its all gone Shane Long

We have to tone down how we rate our players. He is not really great at defending and has an obvious drawback in height. We have to accept that most managers will not want him as a central defender in a back four.
That is quite honestly the most pathetic post I’ve seen on here in a long time. Grand you’re entitled to your opinion but you’re just wrong on so many levels

Stadjer

I hate this place sometimes. This is the reason why most sane people stay away after a defeat. The idiots just talk the loudest.
They really do. Part of it also must be about 'being right'. Martinez came in and wasnt a world class defender from day 1. Posters (and pundits) wrote him off and claimed he was too small. Martinez made them look stupid by turning into one of the best defenders in the league last season. Now those posters who looked stupid have the chance for a 'i was right back then'

Onana performance topic is going to suffer from those posts for quite some time too.

E-mal

That is quite honestly the most pathetic post I’ve seen on here in a long time. Grand you’re entitled to your opinion but you’re just wrong on so many levels
Your opinion about my opinion means f'all to me. We will always look to compensate for his lack of height in the team. We will be looking to get midfielders with height and no technical ability to compensate for the lack of height in defence going forward when it is easier to get CBs with height and technical quality than getting midfielders with height and technical quality.
He will be good in a back three when the other two can compensate. This is the way I see it and I am happy to be proven wrong.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time

I think it's hard to know where to rate him.

Martinez has had periods where he's been fantastic; not quite Vidic level but certainly one of best in the league. The couple of months last season before the World Cup, and the few games when he came back from injury (the second time) this season.

However he's also had periods where he hasn't been so good. He was nothing more than 'ok' most of the time after the World Cup last season, and obviously struggled for the first few games of this season. The latter might have been due to him rushing back and not being fully recovered so wouldn't hold it against him too much, but the former was an issue.

So it really depends which Martinez we see more often going forward. If he can get back to that pre-World Cup form consistently, then he's a great player to have. His height (and lack of speed) will always be a bit of an issue that we have to compensate for, but he brings enough advantages that it's worth doing so. But if it's more of the post-World Cup form, then he won't be good enough to make up for the disadvantages and we'll ultimately have to look to improve.

E-mal

You've been long proven to be wrong. Martinez has been brilliant in a back four.
Oh do tell, waiting to see him be a part of a back four dominating and competing for the title. Again as fans we always look at the small picture but the big picture is that the team will always look to compensate for issues that we should not be compensating for. In any case he is not our biggest problem at the moment.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Oh do tell, waiting to see him be a part of a back four dominating and competing for the title. Again as fans we always look at the small picture but the big picture is that the team will always look to compensate for issues that we should not be compensating for. In any case he is not our biggest problem at the moment.
I agree. Good player but at Arsenal or City he'd be mainly used at left back (and be very effective there).

Even them two have moved to taller players at full back, a big part of why they are two of the best at set pieces at both ends of the pitch.