Television Love Island

Camy89

Love Island obsessive
I haven't watched any of it and haven't read any more about it than that blog post, which was shared by a friend on Facebook in total agreement with the sentiment, and the posts in this thread. I think the posts in this thread from its fans really says all you need to know. The reasons the folk on here watch it and talk about it are pretty clear to see.
You've made wild assumptions about the people who watch this show and extrapolated it out to an assumption of society, that's a little much.

You know why I watch it? It's easy to watch, and after a shite day at the hospital, there's nothing better than sitting down with a beer and watching the show with my other half and we talk about the show as it goes on. It's something we both enjoy doing. You've quoted my comment about Olivia earlier, and whilst it's harsh, I stand by that comment because of how she has acted on the show - she is mean.

I call Johnny a thick cockney cnut earlier, but that didn't get mentioned?

What I'm trying to say is that you've looked WAY too far into this. It's car crash reality TV, I didn't ask to have it aired, if you have a problem with it then I suggest you write a strongly worded letter to ITV2. It's not my problem if young/impressionable people are watching it either - that's up to the parents. However an impression from Marcel and Gabby's relationship is one of strength and loyalty. They are smitten and have not swayed from each other, whilst there may be some negative impressions, there are definitely positives ones.

For what it's worth my favourite girls are Montana (very intelligent and loyal) and Gabby (kind heart, a little insecure).

Last edited:

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
You've made wild assumptions about the people who watch this show and extrapolated it out to an assumption of society, that's a little much.
I haven't made any assumptions about the people who watch this show. I've looked at what people say about the show and drawn conclusions. I don't know anything about any of the people in here. I assume you're a fairly diverse bunch. It's the broadening appeal which is worrying. The societal analysis is robust primary research which has obvious links here.
You know why I watch it? It's easy to watch, and after a shite day at the hospital, there's nothing better than sitting down with a beer and watching the show with my other half and we talk about the show as it goes on. It's something we both enjoy doing. You've quoted my comment about Olivia earlier, and whilst it's harsh, I stand by that comment because of how she has acted on the show - she is mean.
That is 100% not the point.
I call Johnny a thick cockney cnut earlier, but that didn't get mentioned?
I haven't quoted your comment - that was someone else. In any case I find it bizarre you think it somehow makes things better to call someone a thick cockney cnut.
What I'm trying to say is that you've looked WAY too far into this.
Looked too far into it? Surely even thinking that highlights a problem? You're basically saying we shouldn't look past the surface value of seemingly harmless content because the issues it exposes challenge some core fallacies. That's a very destructive thought.
It's car crash reality TV, I didn't ask to have it aired, if you have a problem with it then I suggest you write a strongly worded letter to ITV2.
Funnily enough I had an interview for a role last week in which this very show got brought up in conversation. Supposedly due to its surge in popularity they're looking to export it to Germany next, and they want direction on strategy and content creation. I'm sure you can guess what my expert advice would be...
It's not my problem if young/impressionable people are watching it either - that's up to the parents. However an impression from Marcel and Gabby's relationship is one of strength and loyalty. They are smitten and have not swayed from each other, whilst there may be some negative impressions, there are definitely positives ones.
Sure, it's the parents fault for letting kids watch it nowadays, and it was your parents' fault for letting you watch similar things as a kid, and so on. Let's shift around the blame to the nearest person to make ourselves better. The reality is the parents have/had the same views as you: it's harmless. That view needs to be challenged.
For what it's worth my favourite girls are Montana (very intelligent and loyal) and Gabby (kind heart, a little insecure).
I don't understand why you think that's worth anything. The analysis of total strangers, many of whom you deem to be sluts, bimbos, knobjockeys and whatever itself you want to call them, is frankly disturbing. This is all you need to say, really:
Basically watching the ITV producers f**k around with these couples and watching the chaos. Great TV...unexpectantly.

Camy89

Love Island obsessive
I haven't made any assumptions about the people who watch this show. I've looked at what people say about the show and drawn conclusions. I don't know anything about any of the people in here. I assume you're a fairly diverse bunch. It's the broadening appeal which is worrying. The societal analysis is robust primary research which has obvious links here.That is 100% not the point.I haven't quoted your comment - that was someone else. In any case I find it bizarre you think it somehow makes things better to call someone a thick cockney cnut.Looked too far into it? Surely even thinking that highlights a problem? You're basically saying we shouldn't look past the surface value of seemingly harmless content because the issues it exposes challenge some core fallacies. That's a very destructive thought.Funnily enough I had an interview for a role last week in which this very show got brought up in conversation. Supposedly due to its surge in popularity they're looking to export it to Germany next, and they want direction on strategy and content creation. I'm sure you can guess what my expert advice would be...Sure, it's the parents fault for letting kids watch it nowadays, and it was your parents' fault for letting you watch similar things as a kid, and so on. Let's shift around the blame to the nearest person to make ourselves better. The reality is the parents have/had the same views as you: it's harmless. That view needs to be challenged.I don't understand why you think that's worth anything. The analysis of total strangers, many of whom you deem to be sluts, bimbos, knobjockeys and whatever itself you want to call them, is frankly disturbing. This is all you need to say, really:
I can see you're adept at dissecting and putting across your point and I respect that. There's no doubt that shows like this raise a societal concern, but this has been a trend ongoing from essentially big brother in the year 2000. Reality TV is a huge cash cow for broadcasters and it's more and more common to see these on TV.

Others like TOWIE, Made in Chelsea, Ex on the Beach etc manifest an increasingly vain society - something that, whilst I don't partake in with my own appearance to such an extent, I have accepted as a part of society.

I agree that some of my comments about the contestants have been judgemental and shallow but at the end of the day, as stupid as it sounds, they've agreed to be part of show to look for 'love' which is to be viewed by millions - that will attract judgement. Whilst some of comments have been negative there have been positive judgements and I would fully expect to be judged similarly if I were part of it.

At the end of the day, I feel that while not a pleasant part of society, it's now part of society nonetheless. I see why people find it concerning that younger audiences are exposed to it, but I would hope that my children gain their values and morals from my parenting. If they were to gain it from TV shows like this I find that disappointing.

I think shows like this will continue, whether it reaches a breaking point for societal values is yet to be seen.

Christ this thread took a turn.

I think the people who get their knickers in such a twist over these TV shows are easily as idiotic as those who never miss an episode.

Manny

Grammar Police

I think the people who get their knickers in such a twist over these TV shows are easily as idiotic as those who never miss an episode.
Where does your mate Jamie fit in on this idiotic scale?
:D

SteveTheRed

Couldn't really argue with anything that @Brwned has said in here. Shows like these do contribute to society, and with 2-3million people watching every night it definitely as an effect adverse or not.

I can see why people watch it, it is car crash tv but what does that really say about us? We've evolved from wanting to watch soaps/dramas with actors to throwing real people in there and watching it unfold in reality, hoping the worse in most scenarios.

Brwned

Can you expand on that? Do you think it's silly to suggest that the media influences society? Or that different types of content broadcast in the media influences people in different ways? If not, then I can't really see what you're dismissing...well, I can see you're dismissing other people at either end of the spectrum, because it's nice to think we're better than other people, but I can't see what specific argument you're dismissing.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Can you expand on that? Do you think it's silly to suggest that the media influences society? Or that different types of content broadcast in the media influences people in different ways? If not, then I can't really see what you're dismissing...well, I can see you're dismissing other people at either end of the spectrum, because it's nice to think we're better than other people, but I can't see what specific argument you're dismissing.
I'm guessing he came in to post 'so-and-so is a knob/slag', and was surprised to find a discussion on the moral turpitude of modern society.

These reality shows are all crap and are a stain on society.

However I can just turn over and watch something else. There's no need to go on a crusade against them.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
I'm guessing he came in to post 'so-and-so is a knob/slag', and was surprised to find a discussion on the moral turpitude of modern society.
:lol:

Brwned

These reality shows are all crap and are a stain on society.

However I can just turn over and watch something else. There's no need to go on a crusade against them.
I take your (and Jippy's) point - I didn't intend to monopolise the thread discussion in the way I did...but I don't think you can call a few posts a crusade, and I also don't think just accepting an issue in society is the right approach. Individually it's probably the best thing to do but it's evident that some people hadn't given much thought to the very real implications of shows like this, and I don't see it as a bad thing that I've brought it to light. Though, somewhat counterintuitively, I do feel somewhat guility for ruining the chat...

bleezy

Good episode again today. Chris is absolutely hilarious trying to get in on the rap. Kem is brilliant too. Theo has really grown on me recently and I loved his comment when Johnny was leaving, but he's blown it with Tyla now.

Muggy Mike coming back in would be good, might have been better if Dom was still in though. No real need for Sam to re enter, maybe one for Tyla I guess. I can't see the new boys getting in at all.

Camy89

Love Island obsessive
Good episode again today. Chris is absolutely hilarious trying to get in on the rap. Kem is brilliant too. Theo has really grown on me recently and I loved his comment when Johnny was leaving, but he's blown it with Tyla now.

Muggy Mike coming back in would be good, might have been better if Dom was still in though. No real need for Sam to re enter, maybe one for Tyla I guess. I can't see the new boys getting in at all.
Yeah Theo's a bit of a stirrer, seems to get a kick out of ruffling feathers. Will be interesting to see how this goes. I think Sam and Georgia would get on pretty well, but we'll see. Muggy Mike coming back is what I'm hoping for - whether the dynamic between Chris, Olivia and him flares up again will need to be seen.

Never thought I'd say this but Chris is by far my favourite guy in there.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Yeah Theo's a bit of a stirrer, seems to get a kick out of ruffling feathers. Will be interesting to see how this goes. I think Sam and Georgia would get on pretty well, but we'll see. Muggy Mike coming back is what I'm hoping for - whether the dynamic between Chris, Olivia and him flares up again will need to be seen.

Never thought I'd say this but Chris is by far my favourite guy in there.
Yeah he's won me over, thoroughly entertaining to watch.. wish he'd bin Olivia though.

bleezy

Yeah he's won me over, thoroughly entertaining to watch.. wish he'd bin Olivia though.
Olivia is horrible. She knows quite clearly Chris is far better than her in every way and can't cope being the unpopular, less liked one. Trying for any excuse to put him down.

Chris is easily my favourite. Him, Kem and Theo have a brilliant dynamic going.

Camy89

Love Island obsessive
Olivia is horrible. She knows quite clearly Chris is far better than her in every way and can't cope being the unpopular, less liked one. Trying for any excuse to put him down.

Chris is easily my favourite. Him, Kem and Theo have a brilliant dynamic going.
I can't follow her train of thought when she argues - it's all over the shop. As far as I'm aware, she realised that she's unpopular, so wants to split from Chris as she doesn't stand much chance of winning the money. Now mikes back in I think she'll try get with him as she probably thinks he's popular with the public. Shame.

tomaldinho1

What a show - I basically watch just for Chris. A simple man who wants a simple life but ended up with a she devil

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
I'd rather sit bare arsed onto a porcupine and then spend the next hour and a half pulling the bastard things sharp little spines out of myself than watch this absolute shite.

My Mrs has had this on every night for the past 6 fecking weeks and then has the audacity to moan when I want to watch one fecking football game on the tele a week during the season.

Camy89

Love Island obsessive
I'd rather sit bare arsed onto a porcupine and then spend the next hour and a half pulling the bastard things sharp little spines out of myself than watch this absolute shite.

My Mrs has had this on every night for the past 6 fecking weeks and then has the audacity to moan when I want to watch one fecking football game on the tele a week during the season.
Sound like you need another TV, mate.

Wilt

Love it or hate it, the stats suggest there’s a lot of people on here watching….

But no fecker wants to admit to it :lol:

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Love it or hate it, the stats suggest there’s a lot of people on here watching….

But no fecker wants to admit to it :lol:
Everyone on this forum watches it.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Last night was sensational. Liam fecked up majorly :lol:

Yagami

Good post resistant
I don't watch but my mum does, and she had to tell me that someone on there mentioned that he was a Dragon Ball Z fan so I hope he wins.

United Hobbit

He was continuing to try and weasel his way out of it by claiming it was just "a peck" wait til someone tells her it wasn't....

RedDevilRoshi

He was continuing to try and weasel his way out of it by claiming it was just "a peck" wait til someone tells her it wasn't....
Won’t be surprised if Jake gets found out as well considering he was encouraging all the boys to cheat on their girls when they were in Casa.

United Hobbit

Won’t be surprised if Jake gets found out as well considering he was encouraging all the boys to cheat on their girls when they were in Casa.
I hope so, I felt bad for Teddy with that postcard, Jake's picture was just him sitting laughing with one of them surprised none of the guys told Faye he was sleeping outside

Hugo makes me cringe

They're doing my head in with that stupid move mad saying, Hugo said it now they all are

Maxii

Paad
Watched that last night with the Mrs. I honestly think that whole set up is a disgrace with them all guessing whether the other person has ripped them off or not with pictures being sent out of context. People being heartbroken on television for the world to see.