Lukaku To Discuss Future

FrenchRed

I'm not arguing that Lukaku was as good as RVP though.

A poster implied the problem with Lukaku was that he wasn't clinical enough. The comparison with RVP just makes it very clear that isn't the problem. Chance for chance Lukaku was more clinical than RVP, demostrably and irrefutably so.

However, you can still absolutely argue that RVP being a better all round footballer saw him create more chances for himself and/or aided us in creating more chances for him, which is what saw him carry the team by scoring a bundle of goals.

People are still free to criticise Lukaku, they just shouldn't criticise him for being wasteful. His flaws are in other aspects of his game. However, it would also be silly to pretend that playing under Mourinho for most of his United career isn't also a factor in Lukaku's chance stats.
I think my earlier question is rather misinterpreted, mostly due to my use of ‘conversion rate’ as a term.

Reassessing, my issue centers around the amount of time not that he misses a sitter, but how many times he turns a ‘half chance’ into a real chance of a goal. Be it first touch, losing the ball, or being too slow to react, it seems like he should be doing much better at creating chances for himself to shoot.

I think this is borne out by the stats posted about him having half the number of chances than his rivals... it’s not just about lack of creativity in the team, but of him not carving out shooting chances from good positions himself.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I think my earlier question is rather misinterpreted, mostly due to my use of ‘conversion rate’ as a term.

Reassessing, my issue centers around the amount of time not that he misses a sitter, but how many times he turns a ‘half chance’ into a real chance of a goal. Be it first touch, losing the ball, or being too slow to react, it seems like he should be doing much better at creating chances for himself to shoot.

I think this is borne out by the stats posted about him having half the number of chances than his rivals... it’s not just about lack of creativity in the team, but of him not carving out shooting chances from good positions himself.
Yep, that criticism stands up more I think. Less that he needs to convert more of the chances he receives, more that he need to broaden the range and number of chances he recieves.

Jinn

He is not a world class striker. Man Utd should always have a world class striker. Simple.

Delano

Way cheaper too.

He's not exactly Aguero is he? I mean he's pretty good in the box and a pretty good passer, but his reputation as a "flat track bully" seems to have a bit of merit.
18 Games against the top 6 for us. 1 goal.

I'm sure Europe's elite are falling over themselves to acquire him.

Silas

Way cheaper too.

He's not exactly Aguero is he? I mean he's pretty good in the box and a pretty good passer, but his reputation as a "flat track bully" seems to have a bit of merit.
Err...

Greck

I can imagine we sell him and he misplaces his passport and ends up back here.
May actually end up staying if no top club comes for him. I can't see him accepting a transfer that will be a step back for his career. Personally I'd be glad to offload him to Siberia if they had a team

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
He's not good in the box though. Can't receive it well and misses bread and butter stuff all the time.
The only thing he's actually good at is crossing.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
This is how the 'grown ass man' deals with it.

He's poor.....would be happy if he left

Canagel

In that first season RVP scored away at Chelsea, home and away against Liverpool, home and away against Arsenal, a last minute winner away at city and away at Spurs.

In his almost 2 years here Lukaku has scored against a top 6 rival once. Pathetic
These. His big game record cannot be ignored. Goal record looks like one of a top striker but the reality is a stats padder.
United cannot carry a striker that needs 5 chances to score whilst offering little in the build up.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
He wants to leave to win trophy? Perfect, we need to take this as an advantage. Let his agent find a top club for him so he can win trophy and we will charge a massive transfer fees. The perfect way to get rid a high wages of 2nd choice striker and still making profit.

purgethefallen

I think we need to cut our losses with anyone who is hoping to jump on the gravy train and take advantage of us handing a massive contract to Sanchez. And anyone who isn't fully committed. We don't have a single player who is indispensable, not even De Gea. Lukaku certainly doesn't come close. I'd be in favour of rebuilding our team entirely quite frankly. Get rid of the high earners, buy some good young players on reasonable wages, and create a team that is not only talented but hungry to win trophies at United.

I believe we need to get radical in what we do. We've amassed a lot of mediocre players who are on wages that far exceed their talent. There are better teams than us around Europe that cost far less and play far better football. Our method of throwing loads of money at players who don't suit the way we want to play hasn't worked and isn't going to work. The fact we then keep handing them new contracts is rubbing salt in the wounds.
That would be my preference as well, however, do we think Ed is the right person to be the ultimate decider of this?

Imo, anyone who doesn't want to play for us can go. End of.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
We can do better. The amount of chances he misses is embarrassing. Anything above 70m and he can go.

purgethefallen

Seems like mutiny at Utd. Can't recall so many players wanting to leave at the same time, at any of our rivals.
At such a critical time of the season as well! What the heck is going on?!

I don't care how good you are or how good you think you are, it's a privilege to play for Utd, or has that changed in the last 6 years?
Half the squad, including Lukaku need to be shipped out, including the deadwood that had contract extensions recently. Woodward included.
Maybe they don't want to put in the hard work that Ole is trying to make them do to raise their fitness levels?

Nhuyb

"His agent claims" ...

But what about lukaku's thoughts ?

His mother says...

His neighbourg says...

His kebab's seller says...

Lukaku is happy and as far as I know, Rashford could be the one to leave. And I know nothing, John ! ;-)

Ballache

Supports
Martial
Maybe they don't want to put in the hard work that Ole is trying to make them do to raise their fitness levels?
Nah, they realise they have a fight on their hands and most don't fancy it. Anyone who wants to leave, get a club to pay what needs to be paid and leave.

Janson

The methodology they use would even out over a large sample size. That gap is real.
Yeah, I'm not doubting that it's real, especially since the difference is so big. The eye test alone paints a very similar picture.

I'm just curious how they determine this. Is there a certain distance from goal that is factored in? Are there a lot off things that are taken into account or is it more straightforward?

Last edited:

RedDevil5

Would gladly sell him. He's an awful player for his wages and fee. Only has some good moments vs the poor teams. Never shows up for the big games. Awful first touch, not clinical enough, and just technically not good enough. Would you buy him if he was playing like this? Not a chance.

Sadly I think we are stuck with him, unless he is willing to go back to a smaller club. No way will any big club want him, and I don't see him wanting to go back to a team like Everton or Wolves. And laughable to think we'll get 70m for this guy. 40m would be a good sum. No one is going to want to pay for him.

Janson

Dunno, I just have the definition Opta give:

"A situation where a player should reasonably be expected to score, usually in a one on one scenario or from very close range when the ball has a clear path to goal and there is low to moderate pressure on the shooter. Penalties are always considered big chances."
Thanks. That sounds reasonable. I guess distance to goal plays a large part. I'm usually skeptical of certain types of stats in football, but in this case it does seem to check out imo. I think people are wrong regarding his movement. That seems like something that's been made up along the way by the people who have been running with this narrative that he is, "a terrible footballer." Yes, he obviously can't create chances for himself as much as RVP or Ibra, but his movement off the ball is generally very good, which is clear from both his Everton days and Belgium. Martial is someone who, I would say doesn't have very good movement off ball.

LS17

Get rid. Says he wants to win trophies yet he's part of the reason why we aren't. If we can get a good return for him we should definitely get rid considering we need a lot of players this summer.

acnumber9

Thanks. That sounds reasonable. I guess distance to goal plays a large part. I'm usually skeptical of certain types of stats in football, but in this case it does seem to check out imo. I think people are wrong regarding his movement. That seems like something that's been made up along the way by the people who have been running with this narrative that he is, "a terrible footballer." Yes, he obviously can't create chances for himself as much as RVP or Ibra, but his movement off the ball is generally very good, which is clear from both his Everton days and Belgium. Martial is someone who, I would say doesn't have very good movement off ball.
Watch the number of times he’s stationary in the box when we have the ball out wide. Or how rarely he makes a run across a defender. He never gives that option. The number of times he’s slower to react to a loose ball than a defender is staggering.

Dante

Average bang
Don't see the problem with what he said. The guy is a guaranteed 20 goal a season striker (nowhere near as bad as people make out on here - you would swear he was Heskey going by posts on here) so I wouldn't be surprised if another big club would go in for him.
An excellent and eminently reasonable post.

Janson

Yep, that criticism stands up more I think. Less that he needs to convert more of the chances he receives, more that he need to broaden the range and number of chances he recieves.
I agree. That's something that probably skews the numbers, but wouldn't a situation like that still count as a big chance? Regardless if he had a bad touch. For example, if he got a pass or cross, he's close to goal and takes a bad touch which doesn't lead to a good shot. That would still count as a big chance then, right?

I still think that the service is a big part of the problem. Some of his limitations contribute, but I don't think they account for the a large portion of the difference in the stats.

Last edited:

noodlehair

"It's like..."
It's a bit of a weird stance anyway from someone who hasn't even looked fit for most of the season and who apparently ruled himself out of starting the FA Cup final last year.

I get that he came here to win things but unless his plan was to sit there watching others do it for him I'm not sure what he is so fussed about. If he left the best he could do was end up at another club where he has to perform to give them any chance of winning anything.

Janson

Can't really blame him if he wants to leave after the treatment he has been recieving from fans lately. Being called a donkey constantly.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Massive flop to be honest. Been pretty rubbish in general. Would much rather get in a more technical, rounded striker. Good luck getting a move to Real Madrid or whenever he’s wanting to go.

Aloysius's Back 3

Can't really blame him if he wants to leave after the treatment he has been recieving from fans lately. Being called a donkey constantly.
Mate you are aggressive against the good players but protective over the donkeys. :lol:

Eric Cantona

When Barca and Real fans boo their players, is it because they are a classless bunch as some of us believe? Or is it that they hold their club to such a high standard that if a player(any player) does not play to expected levels then they are rewarded by boos. You know, keep them on their toes.

KanieKaned

Not the level of striker we as a club nor fans expect. If we could get a good return on what we spent I would be happy to see him go. On top of that it made me chuckle a little that his agent said he would like to play abroad... He's Belgian you knob so technically he is playing abroad and he is in currently the best league in the world so that doesn't make much sense to me.

Janson

Mate you are aggressive against the good players but protective over the donkeys. :lol:
Agressive? Are you talking about Herrera? I just don't rate the guy. Do you see me calling players names like donkey and making fun of them every week? If you're asking me to choose between a 25 year old Lukaku who is already in the record books for his goal tally in the PL, and someone who has never been a nailed on starter, constantly in and out for every manager and is nothing more than a replacable squad player. Then I know who I'll take.

It would be criminal to lose our only proven goalscorer. There are many positions in the starting eleven that need improving on, Lukaku should be the least of our concern.

Look at all the people shitting on Pogba as well, do you see me doing that? Is he not a good player?

Aloysius's Back 3

Agressive? Are you talking about Herrera? I just don't rate the guy. Do you see me calling players names like donkey and making fun of them every week? If you're asking me to choose between a 25 year old Lukaku who is already in the record books for his goal tally in the PL, and someone who has never been a nailed on starter, constantly in and out for every manager and is nothing more than a replacable squad player. Then I know who I'll take.

It would be criminal to lose our only proven goalscorer. There are many positions in the starting eleven that need improving on, Lukaku should be the least of our concern.

Look at all the people shitting on Pogba as well, do you see me doing that?
Nah I don't rate Herrera either.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
The cheek of Lukaku's agent trying to hold United ransom :lol::lol::lol:

He's lucky his player is here. feck off back to you hole otherwise the door is over there.

Edit: Thats no disrespect to Big Rom, more his agent needs to pipe the feck down