Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

charleysurf

Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored
They showed the incident on NBC Sports a few minutes ago. How they reviewed it and haven't banned Sakho is beyond me. It's a blatant headbutt.
not a United player so the media don't make a fuss.

It's not paranoia, it's just obvious.

LonelyFire

Listening to supposed pundits on the radio giving it "van Gaal doesn't fancy Shaw" nonsense is hilarious. Gets an injury day before season starts and all of a sudden that equals the manager doesn't rate him.

Thought he looked good against West Ham and fully expect a similar performance this weekend.

Kag

He's only played the one game, in fairness. Gibbs and Baines have been playing more football.

As for the talk of Van Gaal not taking a fancy to him, Shaw will have to learn to accept this. I said it yesterday, but no longer will all coverage be positive like it was as a plucky teen at Southampton. Good performances are expected, seldom praised, and negatives in his game will be scrutinised a lot more than they have ever been before. The perks of playing for Manchester United.

Last edited:

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Listening to supposed pundits on the radio giving it "van Gaal doesn't fancy Shaw" nonsense is hilarious. Gets an injury day before season starts and all of a sudden that equals the manager doesn't rate him.
Don't forget that Van Gaal also signed two other 'left backs', because of how little he likes Shaw...

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Im hoping that's sarcasm!
Yes. I was poking fun at all the pundits and media outlets who seem hellbent on pointing out that we signed 3 left backs in one transfer window. Not only is it absolute silliness, it just didn't happen. I'm sure Rojo will play a few games on the left when needed, but I don't see Blind doing so unless we really are urgently short there.

LonelyFire

Yes. I was poking fun at all the pundits and media outlets who seem hellbent on pointing out that we signed 3 left backs in one transfer window. Not only is it absolute silliness, it just didn't happen. I'm sure Rojo will play a few games on the left when needed, but I don't see Blind doing so unless we really are urgently short there.
Thought as much - we agree 100%!

RedTillI'mDead

A Key Tool
I think even this will be when urgent. There is no reason Shaw won't be automatic first choice. Blind has clearly been brought in as a DM who can cover if really needed, but in absence of Carrick that is not happening any time soon. Rojo has been brought in as a left side CB who has ability to cover Shaw when required or for a back 3! Neither have been brought in to replace Shaw!

Kag

It's actually a good thing he's been called up to the U21's, provided he doesn't get injured. Really, it should help build up some match fitness. Just as he's getting into the swing of things again there comes another international break so two competitive games should, hopefully, do him nicely.

Bwuk

It's actually a good thing he's been called up to the U21's, provided he doesn't get injured. Really, it should help build up some match fitness. Just as he's getting into the swing of things again there comes another international break so two competitive games should, hopefully, do him nicely.
Agreed. He needs the game time. Gibbs and Baines deserve to be ahead of him this season so far anyways, as they've actually played more than once.

Manucho the boss

Thought he looked good against West Ham and fully expect a similar performance this weekend.
I don't think it was the injury that led to suggestions he was out of favour with LVG, it was the managers comments about the sheer size of Shaw when he reported back after his extended Summer break. In Shaw's defence, he's a young lad who went to the World Cup, he was always going to go celebrate that with a holiday while some of the squad were already starting their preseason fitness.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
I don't think it was the injury that led to suggestions he was out of favour with LVG, it was the managers comments about the sheer size of Shaw when he reported back after his extended Summer break. In Shaw's defence, he's a young lad who went to the World Cup, he was always going to go celebrate that with a holiday while some of the squad were already starting their preseason fitness.
I don't recall van Gaal ever saying anything about Shaw's size but rather he just wasn't fit enough for the LWB role. He also didn't go celebrate with a holiday but rather cut his holiday short and reported to preseason early, just 15 days after returning for the world cup and a week before any of the other England internationals returned to training.

LR7

I heard them on talksport yesterday morning as well. Spouting off that bullshit without even considering that Shaw was out through injury.

:lol: Such exaggeration. LvG saying he wasn't fit isn't the same thing as saying he's fat. Also I think he only went away for a week after the WC - he came back to carrington early by all accounts. Surely not enough time to badly decondition himself through excess.

GlasgowRedz

I don't recall van Gaal ever saying anything about Shaw's size but rather he just wasn't fit enough for the LWB role. He also didn't go celebrate with a holiday but rather cut his holiday short and reported to preseason early, just 15 days after returning for the world cup and a week before any of the other England internationals returned to training.
Did LVG not also say that Shaw was an example to the rest of the squad for the way that he reacted to the questions of his fitness and for the way that he applied himself in training.

Why would he go out of his way to say something like that if he didn't rate him.

LonelyFire

I heard them on talksport yesterday morning as well. Spouting off that bullshit without even considering that Shaw was out through injury.

:lol: Such exaggeration. LvG saying he wasn't fit isn't the same thing as saying he's fat. Also I think he only went away for a week after the WC - he came back to carrington early by all accounts. Surely not enough time to badly decondition himself through excess.
Exactly. Just like the, "he signed 2 other left backs...". The criminal level of arrogance from some pundits (and I include Scholes in this) in this country is a disgrace. They couldn't be bothered to do their research on players like Blind and Rojo and actually understand what position they have been playing for their clubs.

Brophs

The One and Only
Exactly. Just like the, "he signed 2 other left backs...". The criminal level of arrogance from some pundits (and I include Scholes in this) in this country is a disgrace. They couldn't be bothered to do their research on players like Blind and Rojo and actually understand what position they have been playing for their clubs.
True, but didn't LVG say that Rojo came to his attention, or at least he was really impressed by him, when they played in the WC, a game in which Rojo played LB? In that case I don't think it's that unreasonable to think he might fancy him in that position.

LonelyFire

True, but didn't LVG say that Rojo came to his attention, or at least he was really impressed by him, when they played in the WC, a game in which Rojo played LB? In that case I don't think it's that unreasonable to think he might fancy him in that position.
That may be where he first noticed him but he still could have been thinking about him as a centre back. Hard to know what LVG is thinking but I believe Shaw will be his first choice left back and Rojo in the middle. I think the whole stuff with Shaw has been about reminding him he hasn't made it and he needs to work for his place in the team - clever management.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
He actually said it was watching videos of past performances in preparation for that match where he got "enchanted" by him.
"I played him in the World Cup against Argentina, so I had to analyse Argentina," he said. "[From] that video I was already enchanted about him because my philosophy is you have to buy players who fit in the profile, and I think Marcos fits in the profile as a left central defender but also as a left wing back."
I guess it's most likely these were all at LB for the Argies but it's also possible they included club games in central defence. The order in which he names the positions he can play is interesting.

Brophs

The One and Only
That may be where he first noticed him but he still could have been thinking about him as a centre back. Hard to know what LVG is thinking but I believe Shaw will be his first choice left back and Rojo in the middle. I think the whole stuff with Shaw has been about reminding him he hasn't made it and he needs to work for his place in the team - clever management.
He actually said it was watching videos of past performances in preparation for that match where he got "enchanted" by him.

I guess it's most likely these were all at LB for the Argies but it's also possible they included club games in central defence. The order in which he names the positions he can play is interesting.
Fair enough. Makes sense.

Man Utd 2:1 Everton

thejtrain

He went asleep just for a moment there and ended up tackling recklessly, but despite the fact that it's somewhat tough to call, can we all agree that he actually took the ball and nothing of Hebert? It just wasn't a foul, no matter how difficult it was for the ref to spot!

Lu Tze

Still think he's played well today despite switching off for a few seconds. He'll iron those errors out of his game over time. Going to be the best LB in the world bar none.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29456060

Best left back in the land in the under 21 squad.

:houllier:
Its very easy to make it with the national team when your club team is dominating the scenes (Massaro, Simone, P Neville, Nicky Butt etc) however one must really give his 110% to justify his place when the club team is under performing. That's how football works

Shaw is part of a defense that is leaking goals for fun. Its difficult for him to make his case under such circumstances

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Good run there to nearly get an assist to Falcao.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Could see him say to the physio as he went off "It's bad" :nervous:.

Raw

Looked great before his injury, hope it's nothing serious and I hope this injury crisis fecking stops soon. We aren't always going to get an international break to save us.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
I think it was a precaution more than anything, Shaw wasn't limping on his way out.

Can't be blamed for the penalty, Everton would have most likely scored if he hadn't made that challenge. Having hindsight at my disposal, this was the best outcome of that incident. :)

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief
Seemed to be touching his hamstring on the way off. If that's the case he's looking at another 6 weeks. :( Suppose with Jones, Evans & Carrick coming back that's some consolation ..

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
Seemed to be touching his hamstring on the way off. If that's the case he's looking at another 6 weeks. :( Suppose with Jones, Evans & Carrick coming back that's some consolation ..
Feck Jones and Evans.

De Selby

Scottish
Supports
Guangzhou Pharmaceutical F.C.
I only saw one replay. Did he get a touch to the ball first?

I thought he looked good anyway. Physically strong, very quick and seems to have good awareness when he gets into the final 3rd.

Trizy

I only saw one replay. Did he get a touch to the ball first?

I thought he looked good anyway. Physically strong, very quick and seems to have good awareness when he gets into the final 3rd.
Think he went through the man to get the ball so it was a penalty. Was brilliant today, looks so cool on the ball for his age its very exciting.

Any update on his injury?

Status
Not open for further replies.