Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

charleysurf

Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored
Thought he was solid yesterday. As long as he can stay fit he will be great for us. But that's a lot to ask at United.

Redo91

I worry about his lack of pace. He also seems to be carrying a few too many pounds. Given his age (and the investment of course), he gets time to sort it all out and grow into the team. I think he could do with a commanding presence in the heart of the defence - a real leader.
I can only assume that you don't watch us play at all if you think that. He is one of the fastest players in the team.

Also the weight thing again! :houllier:

DanNistelrooy

Lineup Prediction & Last Man Standing winner 2017
Considering he got sent off, this may sound weird, but I thought he was by far and away our best player today.
Came in to say exactly that, he was very good as usual but the sending off was a silly challenge. Just needs to be a bit more decisive with his crosses

jojose

I thought he was our best player too. For a 19 year old his defending and positioning is absolutley fantastic.

He also brings the ability to put a tackle on a player.....something we have missed since Wes Brown leaving

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I loved the part when he was on the left touchline, and he had like 2/3 crunching tackles in a row and came out with the ball. Proper little battler we need more fight in team like him.

Redo91

I loved the part when he was on the left touchline, and he had like 2/3 crunching tackles in a row and came out with the ball. Proper little battler we need more fight in team like him.
Ya that was brilliant! Like others have said he was our best outfield player today. Deserved the red but I won't hold that against him.

ZDwyr

Am I wrong in missing Evra? Shaw may be better defensively, but Evra carried an attack twice as well. Shaw is still young and learning though.
Don't think that does it justice. Evra was such a liability last season. Sure, he is better going forward than Shaw is but i'd much rather Shaw's solid defensive work.

IwatUwat

Stupid second tackle, but was a lazy tired one, he was doing doggies up and down and had just been on a tiring run and gave up. Silly really as he'll miss the games now. Again good defensively poor going forward again for me.

Cant believe he was one of the top dribblers last year for saints, and literally looks completely afraid to do anything at Utd. Potentially tactics and the move to bigger club bigger pressure etc etc but some natural flair you would have thought.

acrebo

I don't think the second booking was a stupid tackle, as such. I'm not sure it was a tackle at all - I think he was trying to cut the ball out before it even got to the West Ham player in order to launch a final attack. He just mistimed the interception and clipped the player's trailing leg.

As said, no real concerns over it and I actually think it was the right thing to try. Shame he mistimed but it was a last ditch thing to try and win the game.

I forget he's still so young, he's so composed on the ball. His attacking needs to improve but he's hardly got a great deal of quality around him to learn from out wide at the moment. I love how much ground he covers to make saving interceptions and blocks when it's seemingly a lost cause.

Cina

He really is fantastic, especially for a 19 year old. One of the most composed 19 year olds I've seen.

Hopefully the club actually progresses him properly now because he clearly has it in him to be one of the best LBs in the world.

beergod

If he improves his crossing half as much as Gary Neville did in his time here he will be a great player.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
I've said it before, I'll say it again... Shaw is just ridiculously solid for a player of his age, he's one of the few player's in this squad I feel completely comfortable with.

kundalini

Am I wrong in missing Evra? Shaw may be better defensively, but Evra carried an attack twice as well. Shaw is still young and learning though.
Even last season Evra's performances were far superior to what we've seen from Shaw so far. Evra got a few goals, some assists, started moves on a regular basis as well as the defensive errors. Shaw has spells of looking superior defensively then he'll make a stupid error like gifting Everton a penalty, being at fault for Everton's goal and West Brom's first. To match Evra's contribution, Shaw either has to be error-free or vastly improve his quality in the final third.

Last edited:

Kag

I've said it before, I'll say it again... Shaw is just ridiculously solid for a player of his age, he's one of the few player's in this squad I feel completely comfortable with.
He's the best defender at the club and he's 19. His physicality and maturity for his age is madness, to be honest.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
Yes I think you're wrong. Conceding our left side whenever Evra's matched against a moderately fast winger was one of the most frustrating things about our team in his later years.

Shaw was very dangerous on the attack anyway.

Redo91

Stupid second tackle, but was a lazy tired one, he was doing doggies up and down and had just been on a tiring run and gave up. Silly really as he'll miss the games now. Again good defensively poor going forward again for me.

Cant believe he was one of the top dribblers last year for saints, and literally looks completely afraid to do anything at Utd. Potentially tactics and the move to bigger club bigger pressure etc etc but some natural flair you would have thought.
It's only a one match ban so he will just miss the Burnley game at home tomorrow. We should easily beat them without him. With Young playing last night I'd imagine Rojo will be playing LB.

Jammydodger7

You've got to remember he's only 19! He's already one of the best LB in the league, he's outstanding defensively and with time his attacking will improve too. I honestly think he's become the best B in the world.

drdoityourself

Evra was defensively gone his last seasons here. Aaron Lennon is probably still a Premier League winger because of him, the only left back that made him look like a world beater. Evra was one of my favorite players here, (If anyone is interested in what I'm wearing, I'm actually donning an Evra shirt right now) but Shaw is such an upgrade on the defensive side of the position. Have patience on his attacking side, he's still only a teenager.

ottosec

The youngster most likely to become a top player from our squad. He also seems very passionate and determined, I'm really happy with him.

Red_Aaron

his red card has really irked me

in the opening minute Song is let-off a blatant yellow card but he doesnt let shaw off for an equally blatant yellow in the last minute
clearly clattenburg sees that song has the whole 90 mins to get through and so he doesnt want to potentially affect the game so early on but surely the same logic applies to shaw, his tackle was in the last minute so sending him off couldn't have made any real difference to the outcome. also song hadn't been booked already so would still be able to play but shaw who had been booked and was clearly making a tired attempt at a tackle and yet he's sent to the stands. its bollocks double standards shaped entirely by the time of day and not by any means aligned to the laws of the game

i'm not saying it's not the correct decision and i know you see this sort of thing all the time (there's also no doubt my dislike of clatteknob is clouding my judegement) but seriously why let off one player and not another? no one would of minded had he let shaw off for that.

just needed to vent that.
cheers for listening

Shamwow

listens to shit music & watches Mrs Brown's Boys
I think Shaw not looking that great in attack is largely down to our tactics as we just don't seem to be using our fullbacks on the overlap like we used to.

SirAF

Ageist

in the opening minute Song is let-off a blatant yellow card but he doesnt let shaw off for an equally blatant yellow in the last minute
clearly clattenburg sees that song has the whole 90 mins to get through and so he doesnt want to potentially affect the game so early on but surely the same logic applies to shaw, his tackle was in the last minute so sending him off couldn't have made any real difference to the outcome. also song hadn't been booked already so would still be able to play but shaw who had been booked and was clearly making a tired attempt at a tackle and yet he's sent to the stands. its bollocks double standards shaped entirely by the time of day and not by any means aligned to the laws of the game

i'm not saying it's not the correct decision and i know you see this sort of thing all the time (there's also no doubt my dislike of clatteknob is clouding my judegement) but seriously why let off one player and not another? no one would of minded had he let shaw off for that.

just needed to vent that.
cheers for listening
I agree, and I also agree that Clattenburg is a massive cnut who is buying into his own hype.

Preston 1:3 Man Utd

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I like him but he is awful going forward. We've really missed evras link up play at left back. Hit one good cross today but far too often he just turns back in and we lose it.

saivet

I like him but he is awful going forward. We've really missed evras link up play at left back. Hit one good cross today but far too often he just turns back in and we lose it.
Evra was great, but not sure how he would cope without a winger in front of him. Di Maria seems to sometimes ignore Shaw when he makes good runs. His link up play does need to improve though.

justboy68

Yep he really really needs to step up his offensive duties. I feel going from Paddy and Rafael to Shaw and Valencia is really affecting our attacking play because their first instinct is always to stop in their tracks and cut the ball back.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
He is so much faster than he looks like he's going to be, a bit like Rooney. You could see that PNE RB thinking he was going to burn past Shaw, but Shaw outpaced him in 2nd gear. Very strange.

Seems a bit scared with the ball, but I'm still encouraged by his past few performances (even with the red card). Once he settles and maybe once he has a more permanent partner out on the left I think he's going to be genuinely excellent for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.