Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
He is so much faster than he looks like he's going to be, a bit like Rooney. You could see that PNE RB thinking he was going to burn past Shaw, but Shaw outpaced him in 2nd gear. Very strange.

Seems a bit scared with the ball, but I'm still encouraged by his past few performances (even with the red card). Once he settles and maybe once he has a more permanent partner out on the left I think he's going to be genuinely excellent for us.
I just came here to post this :lol: Doesn't look like he's moving quickly but seems to catch his man regardless!

Boycott

After a good first half was disappointed that he stopped pushing on in the second. Showed good speed and put in decent crosses early on. Looks like he has very few weaknesses and is one of those players who improve game by game. Not sure Di Maria is the player to have combination play with but he has looked good offensively with Januzaj and I think he can do what Clichy does so well in getting to the byline and putting a low ball in for a tap in.

Skills

Snitch
I love seeing bomb down our left flank, with his dreadful hairstyle bobbing up and down. Probably my favourite player at the club now.

Devil may care

He's the only one of our back 4 that doesn't make me panic, as for the attacking aspect, all the best fullbacks have good understandings with the wide attacker in front of them, given Di Maria constantly floats centrally he has no one to link with to use the overlap and when Adnan plays there he is much to slow in releasing the ball, so personally I don't blame him for the less than stellar attacking aspect of his season.

Zoo

So relaxed about him defensively he's a natural in that respect. But he does need to show more personality going forward.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
You wouldn't know he was a kid by the way he defends. I agree he'll have to improve going forward but he's a player I've a lot of confidence in.

Trizy

I think its unfair to criticize him on his attacking ability when most the time's its Di Maria on his wing who ignores him.

As for defensively he's such a beast, you just know no matter how fast the opposing player is he just won't get beat for pace.

Bwuk

Doesn't seem to link up with di Maria that well. Hopefully in the next game he'll have Young ahead of him and AdM plays on the right.

Trizy

He's not the mae west going forward, is he? Yong and lernin but still, it's a bit of a problem for us having a LB with such a poor final ball. Something for him to work on anyway.
One too many pints for the match, Pogue?

Raw

He's quick as feck and manages to win tackles on the left side quite frequently. Just got reminded of that guy in this thread saying he has no pace :lol:

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
Yeah, looked very solid defensively and showing a lot more intent going forward. Final ball will improve, I'm sure.

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
We have finally a very solid defensively full-back. That alone makes me very happy.

I'm sure he'll improve his attacking play over the next months.

And like i've said many times.....we'll see the best of him just in 2-3 years.

Dion

Final ball was gash but fecking hell the kid can run quickly.

Baxter

I remember that Humphrey guy when he was at Motherwell and he is very quick. Shaw had him quite comfortably. Someone needs to teach him hot to cross a ball though.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Really needs to sharpen up his attacking game. Could be a huge asset if he's more lethal going forward.

I think it's confidence more than anything. Looks good when he has the opportunity to overlap.

Will Singh

Well pleased with the way his kicked of his UTD career, we have to remember his a kid who's just moved from his boyhood club to a massive club! Once his settled in he will be world class for us for many years! I thought I'll miss Evra for a long time but Shaw has been a breath of fresh air!!!

Tarrou

He's almost like the reverse of Evra in the last few years. I much prefer a full-back is brilliant defensively and shite at attacking than vice-versa though. He should improve in attack too.

marlowe78

The quickness to get positioned for a cross is there, just a matter of making the right one. It will come.

Walters_19_MuFc

Agree with the general comments on here. Defensively he's good, and will only get better, but he needs to be a lot better in the final third. Give the ball away a lot yesterday, after getting into some good positions and his final ball was lacking.

Cantona'sCollar

He is fantastic defensively, he's a very natural defender and has a lot of tenacity & aggression. He has a great stand-tackle & ability to jockey a winger (the most important things for a full-back, in my opinion), combined with unbelievable speed. He's like a street footballer, minus the natural ability on the ball. He has a huge amount of work to do with regards to his crossing and dribbling - they should improve over time, but I doubt he'll ever be an Evra. Defense can be trained into you (to a certain extent - not everyone can practice to become Cafu), though I feel it is much easier to see a player's attacking potential from the start. His final ball is severely under-par & he isn't so technical in the final third, but he bombs down the wing and finds himself in those positions, at least.

I really like him & think he looks like a genuine 'Manchester United' player. Huge talent & he is already making himself one of the first names on the team-sheet, when fit.

Edit: The amount of people who think he has no pace :lol::houllier: He is Valencia-quick, he's like a steam-train once he gets going. Don't be fooled by the massive ass.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Yeah, he's fast as hell and is class defensively especially in one v one situations. Problem is attacking ability is such a big part of fullbacks who play at United so he really needs to improve that if he wants to be a top player. Not just his final ball, that's not the problem as Evra's was pants for a long time. It's his link up play and actual dribbling on the ball. His link up play is almost non existent. He gets the ball and is pretty hesitant on whether to try and do a run, or cut in and play a pass but then goes back and always delays if he should make the overlapping run, things like that. It'll all definitely improve with experience so I'm not worried, it just has an impact on the side, especially as we had Evra who was one of the best fullbacks around at linking up with his winger for so long.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Don't expect anything from him going forward until he gets a winger ahead of him on a regular basis.

It's a fullback's role to support not attack.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Don't expect anything from him going forward until he gets a winger ahead of him on a regular basis.

It's a fullback's role to support not attack.
Maybe in days gone bye but not nowadays! But given that he is still a baby we can forgive this, a wonderful prospect imo.

Bojan11

Maybe in days gone bye but not nowadays! But given that he is still a baby we can forgive this, a wonderful prospect imo.
Give him a break. Ivanovic was poor going forward as a right back and now he's pretty good. Our own Gary Neville was average going forward, when he started.

If Rafael actually stayed fit or Valencia was decent going forward then it would compensate for Shaws lack of attacking abilities.

MDFC Manager

He's getting in consistent defensive performances and that's lovely to see. Don't forget, he's still a teenager!

Nickosaur

He's getting in consistent defensive performances and that's lovely to see. Don't forget, he's still a teenager!
Yeah I'm not worried about him or his development at all.

He's a defender first and foremost and he does that very well; I'm sure his attacking game will develop in time.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Reminds me of Ashley Cole. Huge defensive talent, probably will be capable of marking out the best wingers in world football with experience but overrated going forwards. I think we need a attacking talent on the other full back position to cancel out Shaw's lack of flair going forwards. He really needs to pull his finger out in this regard. Struggling with his dribbling is one thing, but not being able to cross is inexcusable.. he used to be able to do it with the Saints. He is over-thinking everything too much.. almost as if he has a case of the yips.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Give him a break. Ivanovic was poor going forward as a right back and now he's pretty good. Our own Gary Neville was average going forward, when he started.

If Rafael actually stayed fit or Valencia was decent going forward then it would compensate for Shaws lack of attacking abilities.
I'm praising him Bojan not sure why you are saying give him a break?

Cina

I still can't get over how fast he is, mainly because he always looked fecked and like he should be really slow.

I love him though, he's really going to be a special player for us. One of the most defensively composed teenagers I've seen in the game, that's for sure. Just needs to learn how to cross a football.

Leg-End

He's still growing into the club, I think sometimes you can see that in his attacking play, he's happier to pass it off than attack but in time it will come. The fact he looks solid in defense, really calm on the ball and has pace to burn is hugely encouraging for a 19 year old who's played what 14 games for us?

SirAF

Ageist
He's so good and composed defensively that I'm not too fussed about his contribution to the attack at the time - that will come soon enough. Easily one of my favorites here!

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
His style of play really reminds me of a young Abidal at Monaco and Lille more-so than an Evra at the same stage in his career. Similarly tall for a fullback, not the greatest going forward at this point but an effortless defender who is also generally reliable in possession. Eric made impressive strides at Barcelona and was a fixture as a left back who could control possession and made attacking contributions with intelligently timed runs without compromising on his defensive positioning.

Shaw could easily become a player like that with proper tutoring and maybe even more given his superior physical skill-set. Will be interesting to watch him develop over the next decade. Wouldn't be surprising if he even contributes as a central defender at times. Shaw certainly has the defensive awareness and presence to do a job there, just like Abidal did.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Expect a lot more from him than he showed yesterday but I think his confidence is low and tbh he wasn't bad at all, I just think he's capable of much better. Excellent talent.

Status
Not open for further replies.