Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hed Zitin

We bought a proper fullback. Not a converted failed winger like many clubs have. Very pleased we did. He's a young player who actually knows how to defend and is more than good enough on the ball for a fullback.

Three at the back messing about with players who can't play it.

SirAF

Ageist
We bought a proper fullback. Not a converted failed winger like many clubs have. Very pleased we did. He's a young player who actually knows how to defend and is more than good enough on the ball for a fullback.

Three at the back messing about with players who can't play it.
I agree with this, obviously. The sooner we ditch that formation the better.

Sam

Another injury prone player. Can't we sign, you know, players who don't collapse with ever little contact?
The most annoying thing (as usual with us) is that he played something like 36/38 PL games last season.

kps88

Surely he's injured. And Rafael's still recovering from his fractured cheek bone. It would make zero sense to have no back up in either full back/wing back position on the bench.

soapythecat

I'm hoping that given Rafael is injured, he didn't see the point in rushing Shaw back early from his knock. Hence why he stuck with 3 CB's.
Clearly, he is holding both back to play in a 4 man defence.....I hope.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
A question for football fans:
If a player aged 18 is already injury prone (as Shaw is now), does it mean that his body cannot handle the stresses of football and never will?
As a former athlete myself, I remember when I was young - i was bullet proof. I could run/cycle/weight-train, from cold,without a warmup. As I got older, things changed, so I learnt how to prepare my body for physicality by warming up properly. IME, injury proneness, gets worse, not better, with age.

Phil Jones is 4 yrs older and is a great example of this.
He started off strong (low injury rate). But as he is getting older, he is getting more injury prone.

What do you guys think - can Shaw get over this injury hoodoo or will he head in the same direction as P.Jones?

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
If a player aged 18 is already injury prone (as Shaw is now), does it mean that his body cannot handle the stresses of football and never will?
As a former athlete myself, I remember when I was young - i was bullet proof. I could run/cycle/weight-train, from cold,without a warmup. As I got older, things changed, so I learnt how to prepare my body for physicality by warming up properly. IME, injury proneness, gets worse, not better, with age.

He started off strong (low injury rate). But as he is getting older, he is getting more injury prone.

What do you guys think - can Shaw get over this injury hoodoo or will he head in the same direction as P.Jones?
He played 2 years at Southampton and was hardly injured. I'm willing to bet his injuries are due to the new training regime at United. Hopefully his body adapts.

luckyspurs

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur

Bale had loads of (non Charlie Adam related) foot injuries as a kid, and his style of football puts ridiculous pressure on his ankles. Sometimes things get better; sometimes worse.

Sorry for how vague and incomplete an answer that was.

mu77

looks like the fat kid picked last at school and playing him at wing back is mental. 30m quid for a lb. ffs that's mental.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff

He coped fine at Southampton, with hardly any injuries. I agree with Cassidy, the issue is more likely to do with the training regime here, plus like limerickcitykid said he might not have got the time needed for his ankle to heal.

looks like the fat kid picked last at school and playing him at wing back is mental. 30m quid for a lb. ffs that's mental.
Only thing mental is this post. "Fat kid picked last at school"?

mu77

he does to me , he looks totally gassed playing at wing back. and IMO 30m on a lb is crazy money with all the holes in the side. he's clearly not ready to play and LVG said as much at the start of the season and maybe this injury(s) come down to his fitness or lack there of.

Melvyn

prostate examiner
:lol: I guess you might not have realized I was being sarcastic and slightly mocking the post above about being the fat kid that gets picked last at school.
Oh good. You can never be too sure these days given some of the recent posts on this forum.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Did he even reached his 20's yet ? I thought if he could be longer on the pitch today he could produce some chances.

Rossa

Still feel this lad will prove a great long term investment for us, looked eager to get on tonight and hopefully will start against Leicester.
Think you may be right, but I just don't see him reaching the heights that Evra had for a couple of seasons where he was unreal. Shaw lacks that sparkle that Evra had and that extra bit of pace and acceleration combined with terrific link-up play and great timing. Shaw can most likely improve on Evra's crossing though.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I think our midfielders neglect him too much going forward. He has the pace and strength to be a real threat with his link-up play.

Status
Not open for further replies.