Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I said that at the time, but I didn't expect Evra to have been as useful as he would have been. If only he'd known how much game time he would have got... And hopefully it would have been enough to keep him fresher for each game, rather than the tired performances he was showing playing week in week out for us.
With the way Young has come on this season have we really missed him at all? Perhaps in those early games when it was Blackett or Rojo playing there but when it's been either Shaw or Young I've never thought that position has been much of a problem. Suppose there is a case to be made of the back line lacking a leader and the effect he would have in the dressing room though.
I think Young has stepped up and done really well, but he has rarely been challenged defensively so far that I can think of, I just think Evra would have been perfect for that wingback role also. He loved bombing on and with the knowledge of having cover behind he could have been even more effective.

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
With the way Young has come on this season have we really missed him at all? Perhaps in those early games when it was Blackett or Rojo playing there but when it's been either Shaw or Young I've never thought that position has been much of a problem. Suppose there is a case to be made of the back line lacking a leader and the effect he would have in the dressing room though.
I assumed we may have kept 4 at the back if we'd had fit full back options, but perhaps LVG would have used 352 regardless.

Mystry

Friendship is magic
I assumed we may have kept 4 at the back if we'd had fit full back options, but perhaps LVG would have used 352 regardless.
It's hard to know what LVG thinks at times. He came out and said our lack of full backs was the reason for 3-5-2 yet with both Shaw and Rafael fit and against weaker opposition we still played with 3 at the back.

Jammydodger7

Pictures on Facebook of him training with the rest of the team today so hopefully he'll be fit for Sunday.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
It's hard to know what LVG thinks at times. He came out and said our lack of full backs was the reason for 3-5-2 yet with both Shaw and Rafael fit and against weaker opposition we still played with 3 at the back.
Its very possible he didn't expect either of them to complete 90 minutes though, we'll find out in the coming weeks.

Mystry

Friendship is magic
Its very possible he didn't expect either of them to complete 90 minutes though, we'll find out in the coming weeks.
If that was the case then we could have started with four at the back and then switched formations when they came off. As it turned out he did the opposite.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
If that was the case then we could have started with four at the back and then switched formations when they came off. As it turned out he did the opposite.
Not really no, it would have handicapped him if we were chasing the game, as he would have had to sub in 2 defenders to switch back to 352. Again I'm only speculating but we'll know more in the coming weeks.

Man Utd 0:1 Southampton

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
He is seriously poor in attack as a wingback, even in some simple stuff as passing. I hope he will improve attacking wise when we move him back to fullback because he'll need to.

Jev

Yeah, I don't think he suits the role. Full-backs spend all their time practising overlapping runs and quick crosses. Very few full-backs are capable of beating a man when they have the flank to themselves. We've seen the same with Rafael who is extremely dangerous when overlapping but not a threat at all as wing-back.

luckyspurs

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Great cross the one that skimmed off Van Persie's head and fell for Valencia.

Overrun the ball a few times. Doesn't seem to trust himself beating his man and crossing, prefers to cross with the defender still infront of him, so he has time to set himself.

Kept Clyne quiet pretty well.

Bojan11

Mata needs to come down on the left and help him. He has no options in front of him. He's not Valencia, who can beat a man.

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
We miss Ashley Young.

6 months ago I never thought I'd say that.

RORY65

I hope he can go onto be a terrific fullback for us for a long time but I can't really understand where the £30 million and reportedly huge wages came from. For that money you would expect a young fullback who is really exciting going forward but still a bit green defensively. At the moment he looks quite strong in one on ones defensively but really quite limited on the ball. This system clearly doesn't suit him given he's expected to produce all of the threat down the left hand side and he needs a lot of refining offensively.

Devil may care

I'd love to see him get a chance to play as a LB with a wide attacker in front of him to overlap, he is not a wingback.

Mersault

Defensively he's showed some good things, though he's also been sloppy at times. Obviously difficult to settle into a new side, that keeps changing and repeatedly coming back from injury. But I've yet to see anything promising in an attacking sense from him. Doesn't really fancy taking his man on and seems quite one-sided.

Mersault

I'd love to see him get a chance to play as a LB with a wide attacker in front of him to overlap, he is not a wingback.
Maybe that's it really. Would also love to see 4 at the back, with more space for the attacking players to run into.

RedRevongge

I hope he can go onto be a terrific fullback for us for a long time but I can't really understand where the £30 million and reportedly huge wages came from. For that money you would expect a young fullback who is really exciting going forward but still a bit green defensively. At the moment he looks quite strong in one on ones defensively but really quite limited on the ball. This system clearly doesn't suit him given he's expected to produce all of the threat down the left hand side and he needs a lot of refining offensively.
A 19 year old fullback who is defensively strong is a very rare trait. Normally, as you say, they are exciting going forward but weak defensively like a young Rafael. To be fair to Shaw he is a LB not a LWB and still finding his feet in a new team after some injuries. With a good LW ahead of him I think it would suit his game better

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
He's looking for the link up, but no one is helping him. Needs a runner around him to give him an option other than the pass back. Not like Clyne is an easy guy to get around to pump in a cross (to no one might I add).

justboy68

Offers zilch going forward at the moment. We'd be better off with Young there for a year or two while Shaw develops more of a rounded attacking game. He's probably only ever really learnt the overlap which he doesn't get much chance to do in this system.

sizzling sausages

Thinks TBP is a soft tagline whore
Scout
This. Ask him to be the only outlet on that side and he's gonna struggle but put him with a winger ahead of him to link up with and he's more than adequate in an attacking sense.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
He's not a wingback. Defensively he's very good for someone so young.

Successful

Owes the Caf £25 (With interests)
You're too fat!!! Do you think you can just come back after the summer as if you were Eric Cantona?? Get in the gym and start working or find yourself being shipped out of the club in the summer you big baby. Can't stand players like you!!!!

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
You're too fat!!! Do you think you can just come back after the summer as if you were Eric Cantona?? Get in the gym and start working or find yourself being shipped out of the club in the summer you big baby. Can't stand players like you!!!!
I am almost 100% sure Luke Shaw is not reading this.

zing

Zingle balls
what

In Rainbows

He's not a wingback. It's been pointed out for a long time now. He's been excellent in his proper position. Another reason why I don't like the 352 with our players.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
He's not a wingback. It's been pointed out for a long time now. He's been excellent in his proper position. Another reason why I don't like the 352 with our players.
Exactly look at Chelsea's two LBs. They are both good but, if you used them as wingbacks they would probably struggle. Shaw is a good defender already but, this system puts too much of an attacking onus on him.

luckyspurs

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
His block on Pelle was fantastic, but Blind's crossing is different level to him.

Eugenius

I like Shaw but he can't play this 352. I mean what do you expect him to do when he's 45 yards from goal with no support. Beat two men and put a cross/shot in? Not going to happen. Needs a winger he can overlap.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
He's a very solid player but offers nothing going forward at all. If we're sticking with this 3-5-2 nonsense it should be Young or Blind playing there.

DevilRed

Is he hurt? Commentator said he was hobbling when he came off.

Feel bad for him that not only does he have to adapt to a new club, but also a new position as a wingback in a horrid formation.

He was excellent in a four man backline and would probably provide more danger on the left flank if he had a winger to play off.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Haven't seen someone so young be such a rock defensively but he's not got much going forward at all. That can be rectified as he ages. I feel very assured when he's on the pitch.

Status
Not open for further replies.