g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Luke Shaw image 23

Luke Shaw England flag

2014-15 Performances

View full 2014-15 profile

6.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

mu77

he is much better in a classic 4 across the back. as a wing back he's not nearly as effective. i think it gives hi more space to work in going forward. got caught looking the wrong way once but played very well.

Raw

I think our midfielders neglect him too much going forward. He has the pace and strength to be a real threat with his link-up play.
Yeah there was that annoying moment when Di Maria took fecking ages to play the ball out wide to Shaw, which inevitably was too much for him.

Kag

He looks like a royal bellend in that photo, mind, and I say this as somebody that backs up his skinny jeans.

Devil may care

Think you may be right, but I just don't see him reaching the heights that Evra had for a couple of seasons where he was unreal. Shaw lacks that sparkle that Evra had and that extra bit of pace and acceleration combined with terrific link-up play and great timing. Shaw can most likely improve on Evra's crossing though.
I'd say that is a fair enough view, although he is still young enough to develop a lot further. He hasn't got the dynamism or technique of Evra and I doubt he'll ever be as exciting to watch, but I think defensively he'll be a stalwart for us.

iammemphis

iwillnotaskforanamechangeagain
Look like moobs to me.

On a serious note, the kids 19. I know welbeck is more lanky but at the same age he was still filling out too, I suspect its the same for shaw. Yeh he looks big at certain angels but when he's at his peak he'll be strong as hell.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Think you may be right, but I just don't see him reaching the heights that Evra had for a couple of seasons where he was unreal. Shaw lacks that sparkle that Evra had and that extra bit of pace and acceleration combined with terrific link-up play and great timing. Shaw can most likely improve on Evra's crossing though.
I don’t know why he can’t get close to Evra really. He has developed the defensive part of his game, plus he has good technique and is very fast. Evra link-up play was terrific I agree but his crossing was poor, if Shaw improves in that regard I think he can be as good as Patrice.

ricky-romeo

he is much better in a classic 4 across the back. as a wing back he's not nearly as effective. i think it gives hi more space to work in going forward. got caught looking the wrong way once but played very well.
this. he does look very good with a partner on the left hand side. it was di maria earlier this season and januzaj today.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
I don’t know why he can’t get close to Evra really. He has developed the defensive part of his game, plus he has good technique and is very fast. Evra link-up play was terrific I agree but his crossing was poor, if Shaw improves in that regard I think he can be as good as Patrice.
Plus when Evra was Shaw's age he was a striker struggling to get playing time in Serie B.

J-Stander

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Thought he was poor. His crossing was crap and he took an age to get the ball out of his feet.

mufcwarm92

He's pretty solid defensively so I'm happy to give him time to find his feet going forward. He needs a run of games and I see no reason why he won't get that.

ZDwyr

I thought he was pretty solid. Obviously the opposition didn't test him a lot. Has to keep working on his attacking play but I am confident it will come. Really needs to sort that hair out though!

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
He did okay, he had one defensive brainfart where he was done on the overlap, where somehow he and Falcao(!) chased the same ball and man. Other than that, he did fine. Put in 2 or 3 good crosses, but we look pisspoor at attacking crosses these days anyway.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
He's 19 and a million miles ahead of McNair and Blackett. I don't really get the criticism of him not adding enough going forward. For a start he hasn't had anything like a winger to support and overlap (and as a result hasn't had a chance to build an understanding), when Januzaj did use this width he assisted him well with some dummy runs and overlaps.

The most important thing for him to do right now is defend well which he has been doing, there is enough creative players on that pitch to take attacking responsibility and especially when the L+RCM is Januzaj and Di Maria.

sizzling sausages

Thinks TBP is a soft tagline whore
Scout
There was one lapse of concentration that almost cost it, besides that he was good. Hopefully he can stay fit now.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
I feel relaxed as feck with him in the team, I think to the point where he's the least of my worries.

Limited a bit going forward is my only real issue but it's that long from I seen a fullback of ours defend properly that I'll spare him that.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Hope he improves going forward and I reckon it's just a matter of timing his runs a lot better, something Evra was brilliant at.

Trizy

Di Maria just ignores him more often than not in every game they've played together, its annoying. He's always there in space, just give him the ball!

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
He has lost so much confidence in an attacking sense, shame to see. At Saints, he was a tremendous crosser of the ball and really good at picking out runs into the box.. now he is like a left footed Valencia. I think he is either over thinking it or he is just feeling anxiety about keeping his place in the side.. or it may just be he needs a consistent run of games with a wide man in front of him. Either way he needs to up his game in an attacking sense because he can't be playing for Manchester United's first XI and be a shit crosser.

Time is on his side however.

Ballache

Supports
Martial
He's 19 and already very solid defensively which is the important part for me. His attacking game will develop and people shouldn't be blinded by his fee. He's only 19 and has a lot of time to develop.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
If he doesnt improve defensively, it wouldnt be a shame. So solid already, rhat's very rare. If we maintain this system, I think he'll make progress attackingly, he can overlap, henis fast and has shown previously at Soton that he can pick out a cross, quite low on confidence and rythmn but it will come good.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Thinking back, how many top quality fullbacks have actually been this good defensively at his age? His strength, stamina and confidence will improve as he ages, he's going to be one monster to try get past.

SirAF

Ageist
I feel relaxed as feck with him in the team, I think to the point where he's the least of my worries.

Limited a bit going forward is my only real issue but it's that long from I seen a fullback of ours defend properly that I'll spare him that.
Completely agree, I never think that he's going to get skinned!

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
He has lost so much confidence in an attacking sense, shame to see. At Saints, he was a tremendous crosser of the ball and really good at picking out runs into the box.. now he is like a left footed Valencia. I think he is either over thinking it or he is just feeling anxiety about keeping his place in the side.. or it may just be he needs a consistent run of games with a wide man in front of him. Either way he needs to up his game in an attacking sense because he can't be playing for Manchester United's first XI and be a shit crosser.

Evra regularly got accused of being exactly that. Crossing was never one of his strong points.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Evra regularly got accused of being exactly that. Crossing was never one of his strong points.
True, but tbf Evra was a brilliant dribbler so he added an attacking dimension in that sense. Shaw is struggling to beat players or put crosses in, but the thing is I have seen him do both in the past. He needs a boost of confidence.

Godfather

That much is true.

Doesn't mean Shaw doesn't have to improve his attacking play.He is looking very awkard in the opponent's half and for me, the reason why his teammates overlook him at times has to be that he also looks a bit lost going forward in training.

Speak

Step up to my misogyny soapbox
Some see Januzaj as a sure thing. I personally don't.
But Shaw? Yep, I'd definitely put him under that bracket.

YouOnlyLiveTwice

Valencia is doing alright i think.

Status
Not open for further replies.