Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skills

Snitch
Am I missing something? He's already our first choice left back isn't he?

ZDwyr

Thought Shaw was good. His tackle on Willian was great; has really good recovery pace.

itso 7

He's learning game by game what it takes to be a United player. In four to five years time he'll be a fully established member of the first team.
I think he already is one, by default but I can't see too many left backs in this league keeping him out. He is already a decent defender and he will grow into his role as the season goes on.

Sam

I think he already is one, by default but I can't see too many left backs in this league keeping him out. He is already a decent defender and he will grow into his role as the season goes on.
I'd say he's a very good defender already. Its the attacking side of his game that has scope for improvement.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
The machine definitely started to break down in the final couple of years.

That's just league matches. He was just a physical mutant, literally ran into ground with no help to come in and take shifts from him.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I think Shaw, at the moment, is still a bit nervous in his play. He is generally doing the basics well, but he isn't yet playing with the freedom he played with at Southampton. When he goes forward, he seems apprehensive and is taking less risks himself, usually stopping and going back to Di Maria or Januzaj.

I think with a few more games, we'll see the shackles go off a bit more and he'll really step it up a level in attack. I know many said attacking wasn't his strongest suit anyway, but he was definitely better at Southampton.

Dr Fink

I agree with this to some extent. His defending is good, but he needs to improve going forward. I don't think Januzaj's performance in front of him helped, although there was a few glimpses of it clicking in the first half.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I think he does ok going forward, can definitely do better, but what impresses me is that when he puts a ball into the box, he usually seems to pick someone out rather than just swinging one in, a few times hes even pulled it back towards the edge of the box to pick out the free man. He'll improve going forward once he has a settled player in front of him

Coxy

Thought it was easily his best performance for u guys yesterday - and your best defender. Good to see he is getting back to close to his best.

IwatUwat

I think he does ok going forward, can definitely do better, but what impresses me is that when he puts a ball into the box, he usually seems to pick someone out rather than just swinging one in, a few times hes even pulled it back towards the edge of the box to pick out the free man. He'll improve going forward once he has a settled player in front of him
This.

There was the one time he mixed it up and came inside and then a pass to RVP which was great but want to see him doing it more often. TO be fair against chelsea is probably the right time to be a bit more cautious. But want to see more from him as he builds in confidence. He hasnt for me come close to the quality he showed at Southampton going forward and with theoretically more quality around him he should feel more confident.

Against West Brom the amount of times he goes forwards and the checks back to give the ball back to a CB is annoying. Did it less against chelsea but still needs to push on and start to produce assists, this is a key stat now for a LB / RB and he like Rafael should be contributing to attacking stats

CuCullhan

Against West Brom the amount of times he goes forwards and the checks back to give the ball back to a CB is annoying. Did it less against chelsea but still needs to push on and start to produce assists, this is a key stat now for a LB / RB and he like Rafael should be contributing to attacking stats
This is a current popular tactic upon starting an attack from the back. I think it is to safely walk the defence up to the half way line and pin teams back in to their own half and in the process run the opposing attackers into the ground. Not sure I'm a fan of it but it is what it is.

IwatUwat

This is a current popular tactic upon starting an attack from the back. I think it is to safely walk the defence up to the half way line and pin teams back in to their own half and in the process run the opposing attackers into the ground. Not sure I'm a fan of it but it is what it is.
Disagree personally. As rafael isnt doing it. Its not a tactic. It's potentially an issue with Di Maria as he is so dominant in our team in terms of a) players passing to him and b) his end product, he puts the ball in the box etc. So Shaw doesnt often get it back and he wants to pass to Di Maria and if not him then he decides to go back to a CB.

Personally I think he doesnt want to lose the ball (not a bad thing) and is settling in to life at Utd not making mistakes etc. But for me he needs to try to be productive going forward too.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I think Shaw, at the moment, is still a bit nervous in his play. He is generally doing the basics well, but he isn't yet playing with the freedom he played with at Southampton. When he goes forward, he seems apprehensive and is taking less risks himself, usually stopping and going back to Di Maria or Januzaj.

I think with a few more games, we'll see the shackles go off a bit more and he'll really step it up a level in attack. I know many said attacking wasn't his strongest suit anyway, but he was definitely better at Southampton.
It's worth remembering that he had Lallana ahead of him at Southampton so it was Shaw's role to inject pace and width into their wing play. With Januzaj and Di Maria that isn't required and a more conservative supporting approach makes sense.

CuCullhan

Disagree personally. As rafael isnt doing it. Its not a tactic. It's potentially an issue with Di Maria as he is so dominant in our team in terms of a) players passing to him and b) his end product, he puts the ball in the box etc. So Shaw doesnt often get it back and he wants to pass to Di Maria and if not him then he decides to go back to a CB.
Its been employed by nearly every prem team. Full back races forward until he is met. Then its decision time, Usually back to center mid or center back. Watch tonight's game. You'll see it loads. It is the safe option so maybe you have a point in that he has some doubts still. But maybe its that he doesn't make the overlap often enough which would give the move a more attack minded purpose. Again because of confidence as you suggested. Hopefully it will be more productive as we build on yesterdays performance.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
It's worth remembering that he had Lallana ahead of him at Southampton so it was Shaw's role to inject pace and width into their wing play. With Januzaj and Di Maria that isn't required and a more conservative supporting approach makes sense.
That's an argument. I think there have just been a few actual situations that he has found himself ahead of his winger and I would have hoped he'd been a bit more penetrative, and he's turned back. Rafael, for instance, wouldn't have done so I think.

Mykey

I agree with this to some extent. His defending is good, but he needs to improve going forward. I don't think Januzaj's performance in front of him helped, although there was a few glimpses of it clicking in the first half.
The commentator yesterday made a good point in the first half about how Fellaini was getting into Adnan's space on the left, which in turn would have done the same thing to Shaw.
I said it in another thread about Adnan as well though, he doesn't use Shaw as much as he should. Shaw made alot of overlaps but barely ever got a pass from it

TheReligion

Abusive
Did anyone else think Shaw seemed to be struggling fitness-wise later on? He didn't seem to make many overlaps and when he did rather than continuing on he would turn back and play it slowly.

Still has a bit of work to do in the attacking wing back role IMO but looks solid.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Definite improvements from Shaw which is pleasing to see. Was starting to harbor some doubts on having him as our first choice/only LB this season, but looks like he is growing into it.

Trizy

Did anyone else think Shaw seemed to be struggling fitness-wise later on? He didn't seem to make many overlaps and when he did rather than continuing on he would turn back and play it slowly.

Still has a bit of work to do in the attacking wing back role IMO but looks solid.
Just wrote it in the Rafael thread. They weren't allowed to attack much because the way Mourinho's wingers were situated, he's a brilliant defensive tactician after all.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Didn't notice him tire. I think he lacks confidence on the ball going forward and in the second half there was more onus on him to do that when Januzaj moved to the right. He was still making the runs even after we equalised. He was in a really good position to put a ball in just afterwardsbut Di Maria didn't play it to him.

Overall thought it was a massive improvement on his other performances. Didn't look out of his depth...just looked a bit limited going forwards, but at 19 you're not going to be too worried about that as long as he's making the runs.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Didn't notice him tire. I think he lacks confidence on the ball going forward and in the second half there was more onus on him to do that when Januzaj moved to the right. He was still making the runs even after we equalised. He was in a really good position to put a ball in just afterwardsbut Di Maria didn't play it to him.

Overall thought it was a massive improvement on his other performances. Didn't look out of his depth...just looked a bit limited going forwards, but at 19 you're not going to be too worried about that as long as he's making the runs.
Yup. Spot on. He's not playing with any swagger yet but it makes sense to play the percentages when he's still settling in. Especially when we've been conceding so many soft goals this season.

fatboy

I've a strong feeling he'll still be around a decade later, probably still as our starting leftback. He'll get even better once we're more settled as a team. I can't believe he's 19.

LR7

One of our best players against Chelsea. Definitely easing into the role, and getting better every game.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Superb. Got caught out of position in the first half, but in one on ones, he's excellent for someone so young.

Status
Not open for further replies.