Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

meamth

A picture where you can't see his physique...brilliant reference.

Here's another one:

Shaqiri is in fantastic shape, and no amount of mental gymnastics will change that.
What's the difference though? I'm pretty sure if you're on holiday and have a full belly even Shaqiri will look like this:

My point being, Shaw is a professional athlete and being stocky boned + on holiday mode doesn't mean you're fat.

sam147

Being chubby doesn’t automatically make him a bad defender. He’s still one of the fastest players in the squad. He needs a run of games yes, but he can still be a very good defender while carrying extra pound, especially due to his body type. What is people’s sad obsession with weight?
It shows his work ethic. Forget the poor mentality it shows Jose is right when it comes to how hard he works on the pitch. He doesnt do himself any favours looking like that. An athelete should be in peak condition.

JohnnyLaw

Being chubby doesn’t automatically make him a bad defender. He’s still one of the fastest players in the squad. He needs a run of games yes, but he can still be a very good defender while carrying extra pound, especially due to his body type. What is people’s sad obsession with weight?
No it makes him a bad athlete which will obviously affect his performances. He's a fullback, one of the most physically demanding positions and he already can't get a look in the team. It has nothing to do with his body type as evidenced from other pictures posted of him above where he's looked much more in shape.

soapythecat

Whilst I agree with those that saying he can quickly lose it, etc, my issue with these pictures is that Luke Shaw has put himself in a position of being captured looking out of shape/overweight - whatever you wish to call it - when he is at a stage in his career that he should be, quite literally, busting a gut to ensure that he is totally on top of everything he can do to make himself a more attractive proposition for Jose to pick him or use him in the squad.
If I was to judge him on these pictures, I'd go as far as saying that he doesn't really give a shite about United, or getting back into the team, because he clearly can't be bothered to look after himself. If it was me, I'd be turning up on the first day of training looking fit, healthy and ready to rip the skin of the football.
Let's not compare to Rooney regarding weight out of season, because Rooney wasn't in a position of having to force himself into the team (until the end of his time at United). Luke Shaw comes across as the type of youth that gets labeled as lazy Millenials. No wonder managers have become frustrated with him.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
What's the difference though? I'm pretty sure if you're on holiday and have a full belly even Shaqiri will look like this:

My point being, Shaw is a professional athlete and being stocky boned + on holiday mode doesn't mean you're fat.
Those pictures were done on purpose for a specific effect (he tried to be as bloated as possible and took food and drinks for that purpose). These are not manipulated but them on a day to day basis. Also, I never called Shaw fat, and anyone that thinks he is fat probably has some body issues.

Being stocky boned is irrelevant, he is in the high teens bodyfat which is above the level athletes should be.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
He’s a bit of a disgrace truth be told. Pissing around with his mates in Ibiza looking like he’s pregnant isn’t going to endear him to Mourinho. Ship him out. Complete waste of space.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
He does make you pull your hair out at times," Dodd said. "You have to try different things to get the best out of him."

"I think they have tried everything and they have not got through to him to get him out on the pitch and perform.

"Luke is one of those players where you have to keep on, you have to keep pushing him and he needs to be challenged.

"I was constantly on him. He likes it. He needs more of a cuddle, and then give him a little dig,"

"That is how you get him going. "He is a fantastic player, but if you have to question some of it – his drive, training everyday, and giving absolutely everything.

"You are at Manchester United. Mourinho expects you to put it in every session and that is an area where Luke will struggle."
Comments by his former Southampton coach Jason Dodd.

Since then 2 united managers and England managers have all questioned his commitment. Lvg famously made him wear a special ‘fat jacket’ in preseason training when he first took over he thought he was so fat. How we all laughed. Shaw needs to pull his finger out of his ass and knuckle down. He’s in a very privileged place and he’s throwing it all away

Feed Me

I'm hungry

Since then 2 united managers and England managers have all questioned his commitment. Lvg famously made him wear a special ‘fat jacket’ in preseason training when he first took over he thought he was so fat. How we all laughed. Shaw needs to pull his finger out of his ass and knuckle down. He’s in a very privileged place and he’s throwing it all away
He has already wasted it.

Despite all the criticism from our baying media, Mourinho has been totally right in his treatment of Shaw.

golden_blunder

Staff
Oh come on! He is having his holiday ffs.

Give him a break guys.
Seriously he lost his place to Ashley young, an aging winger. If he truly wanted to win his place back he’d knuckle down and get rid of those love handles. He’s got his priorities wrong. Rather than having an attitude of wanting to prove everyone wrong he’s proving everyone right

Andersons Dietician

No it makes him a bad athlete which will obviously affect his performances. He's a fullback, one of the most physically demanding positions and he already can't get a look in the team. It has nothing to do with his body type as evidenced from other pictures posted of him above where he's looked much more in shape.
How does it make him a bad athlete? You’re comparing a pic where he has prepared for a season and was stopped due to injury against holiday pics. In the holiday pics you can still see outlining of a six pack and pecs which when he starts training will burn off the excess holiday weight or water weight there. He looks like he is sitting around 15-18% and come game time he’ll need to be somewhere in the region of 6-13%, based on his body type i’d wager he is always on the high end of that scale. Saying that his body type is both a blessing and a curse as he’ll stack on muscle easily but with that you can also stack on fat easily also.

meamth

Seriously he lost his place to Ashley young, an aging winger. If he truly wanted to win his place back he’d knuckle down and get rid of those love handles. He’s got his priorities wrong. Rather than having an attitude of wanting to prove everyone wrong he’s proving everyone right
Then what should he do? stay at Carrington while everyone is enjoying the holiday? The season is just over, he should relax and take his time. Whether he would come back motivated or not, that's another case.

EDIT:
Imagine you've been working all 8-9 months, you surely want to go on holiday won't you? of course you would.

Luke shaw is a normal human being, what he is doing with his free time it's none of our business.

JohnnyLaw

Same necklace as here (picture from a couple of years ago)

How does it make him a bad athlete? You’re comparing a pic where he has prepared for a season and was stopped due to injury against holiday pics. In the holiday pics you can still see outlining of a six pack and pecs which when he starts training will burn off the excess holiday weight or water weight there. He looks like he is sitting around 15-18% and come game time he’ll need to be somewhere in the region of 6-13%, based on his body type i’d wager he is always on the high end of that scale. Saying that his body type is both a blessing and a curse as he’ll stack on muscle easily but with that you can also stack on fat easily also.
No I'm comparing him to the image posted above which is also a holiday picture from some season past. That's a clear difference to these last ones and acceptable for a player on his holiday.

After all that's been said about him in the past he has no excuse showing up to preseason looking like that. In his situation you'd expect him to be coming in fecking raring to go in order to win his spot back.

Last edited:

golden_blunder

Staff
Then what should he do? stay at Carrington while everyone is enjoying the holiday? The season is just over, he should relax and take his time. Whether he would come back motivated or not, that's another case.

EDIT:
Imagine you've been working all 8-9 months, you surely want to go on holiday won't you? of course you would.

Luke shaw is a normal human being, what he is doing with his free time it's none of our business.
Going on holiday is fine but it’s not an excuse to let yourself go, particularly when your agent is releasing stories about how you’re working hard to be available for selection. There’s no evidence of working hard from those pics, more like a young lad who has forgotten he’s a professional footballer. He wants to look at the dedication of the likes of Ronaldo for inspiration

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW

EDIT:

Keeping himself in good shape during the off season is our business though. Turning up for pre season training a couple of stone over weight is unprofessional.

I’ve stuck up for Shaw on so many occasions over the last few years, but those photos show that he doesn’t really give a shit about winning his spot back. He should be ashamed of himself. He’s supposed to be an elite level athlete ffs!

AndyJ1985

EDIT:

What he does in his free time IS our business if it affects his ability to perform at his best.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
He is under contract as a professional footballer and it is his obligation to keep the body fit for the task.

So fecking sick and tired of the lardass, hope he gets sold.

cyberman

Another Rooney.
Time to get rid, his body will fall apart around 28 anyway due to his lifestyle.

Alabaster Codify7

Hopefully that photograph finally convinces that weird set of our fanbase that Luke Shaw is a waste of space.

It was only a week or so ago that him and/or his mates leaked to the media that he was 'training super hard and getting ready to fight for his place'.

State on him. Get rid.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Another Rooney.
Time to get rid, his body will fall apart around 28 anyway due to his lifestyle.
He can only dream to be anywhere near being 'another Rooney'. That's the funniest part. Sure, Rooney was a waster and I completely understand your pointm but at least he fecking achieved something in his footballing career. Shaw's a waster at the age of what, 22? And has achieved sweet feck all.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
He's on holiday but still... even when He was not holiday He didn't put enough effort to keep himself, as a professional athlete, in shape.

If you were him wouldn't you feel bad? Your mates are playing for the World Cup and They're all developing. You're still 22 and was regarded as one of the best young fullbacks, you are far from making it into the first team but surely you are good enough to be there and yet your career is in danger. All because your own doing (injuries do play a part but that's the risk of being a footballer, He should understand it and not dwell on it).

Last edited:

Brophs

The One and Only
To use an admittedly rubbish analogy, going on holiday and packing on weight like that is a bit like running up debts. Pre season training is like saving money. Pretending that one doesn't impinge on the other is daft. During pre season, when he's supposed to be building up a bank of core fitness, which will stand to him over the course of a long season, he'll instead be spending the time - the early weeks at least - paying off the debts of the summer, instead of using that time, as most other players will, building reserves for a long season ahead. And when, as it invariably does with his fitness, it goes wrong, he has almost nothing to fall back on.

People talk about his 'natural' physique as if it's something that happens to him afresh every season. It's no different to guys who need to do loads of stretching for back issues or whatever. If he knows that he puts on weight easily and doesn't have the common sense to make sacrifices and adjust his eating habits and/or training regime when he's on holidays, then how can people expect him to do the right things at other times?

Bwuk

Cannot believe people still want him here.

Been saying for ages now, Shaw has to go. Lazy and unmotivated. Talks a good game but doesn’t do anything.

Hojoon

IIRC Pochettino also questioned him in his autobiography that Shaw wasn't willing to make sacrifices needed. Pretty much every single coach he's had at professional level questioned him, it's not a good sign. Shaw is a promising fullback, not a Messi or Ronaldo who deserves special treatment if needed.

roseguy64

Having seen the additional pics, the first one is at a bad angle and deliberately posted to feed the narrative. Of course he's not looking as in good shape as he has in the past but he's clearly not fat. He looks like a normal person. All I care about is his performances on the pitch and the majority of his performances have been decent to good.

His only problem seems to be doing everything that Mourinho asks of him tactically.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
He's on holiday but still... even when He was not holiday He didn't put enough effort to keep himself, as a professional athlete, in shape.

If you were him wouldn't you feel bad? Your mates are playing for the World Cup and They're all developing. You're still 22 and was regarded as one of the best young fullbacks, you are far from making it into the first team but surely you are good enough to be there and yet your career is in danger. All because your own doing (injuries do play a part but that's the risk of being a footballer, He should understand it and not dwell on it).
Last season he took a personal trainer with him and kept himself in check. This summer he has taken the lads.

TheReligion

Abusive
He's in terrible shape let's be honest. Zero definition.

I'm in miles better nick and I work shifts, go to a shitty gym and make my own meals in tupperware.

He's at the biggest club in the country, one of the biggest in the world, has everything at his disposal yet can't seem to watch his weight.

If truth be told it's his mentality.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
He’s taken a personal chef.

Wouldn’t be an issue what he looks like if he was playing well on the pitch.
I like how you think what someone's body looks like is just some superficial thing.

What Luke Shaw's body looks like is directly linked to his performance. Body fat levels are intricately linked to cardiovascular and muscular performance. Fat doesn't just sit there in your body doing nothing, it regulates your endocrine system (that's why Men and Women have different distributions of fat).

It's one of the first steps for a professional footballer. SAF wanted to shift Rooney out in his prime because he saw the writing on the wall. Shaw doesn't have the talent levels of Rooney so he can't become a United legend before being shipped out.

Eugenius

He definitely looks a bit chubby there, but if he was truly that badly out of shape Mourinho would have called him out. He’d be training with the reserves until he’s fit.

DomesticTadpole

He's in terrible shape let's be honest. Zero definition.

I'm in miles better nick and I work shifts, go to a shitty gym and make my own meals in tupperware.

He's at the biggest club in the country, one of the biggest in the world, has everything at his disposal yet can't seem to watch his weight.

If truth be told it's his mentality.
Just look at the physiques of Rashford and Lingard and shows what gym work can do for you. Actually can some people get the old six pack easily and others could work and work and it has no affect?

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Just look at the physiques of Rashford and Lingard and shows what gym work can do for you. Actually can some people get the old six pack easily and others could work and work and it has no affect?
No, unless you have hormone problems (eg. Thyroid malfunction). It is quite easy to be sub 15% bodyfat.

DomesticTadpole

No, unless you have hormone problems (eg. Thyroid malfunction). It is quite easy to be sub 15% bodyfat.
So it is down to if he can actually be bothered to put the work in? He will probably lose most of it, but it cannot be good for his health to keep doing that. Just show a bit of restraint during the summer. You wonder if he is doing any exercise, the other players appear to be doing a fitness programme of some sort during their holidays. This discussion seems to be cropping up every summer and you wonder how many chances can he have. He is an English Anderson, the talent if there, but the commitment isn't.

Brightonian

In a season when he's got a long break while others play international football, it's not really good enough. Rooney got away with this stuff for a while by being a world class player and because his commitment in training and on the pitch was ferocious. Shaw hasn't got either of those things in his locker.

That said, I find the venom in this thread a bit weird. Some seem to actually hate this young man because he's not giving 100% to a job which isn't going very well. Some seem to relish calling him all sorts of names. I don't really think it's necessary, and I'd go so far as to say it's a bit weird. If nothing else, I doubt this forum is full of fitness models.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
So it is down to if he can actually be bothered to put the work in? He will probably lose most of it, but it cannot be good for his health to keep doing that. Just show a bit of restraint during the summer. You wonder if he is doing any exercise, the other players appear to be doing a fitness programme of some sort during their holidays. This discussion seems to be cropping up every summer and you wonder how many chances can he have. He is an English Anderson, the talent if there, but the commitment isn't.
Luke Shaw has struggled with fitness under multiple managers. I don't hold any harsh feelings towards Shaw because I suffered from a weight problem due to my parents feeding me too much. And that habit of over eating is difficult to get rid of. But the end result is the same.

Football is a cut throat business and if you can't be at peak performance, some one else will take your place.

Status
Not open for further replies.