Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Red_toad

Athletes should always be in shape to be honest. Going on holiday for a couple weeks shouldnt result in losing shape like that. Just like working out for 2 weeks wouldnt get him back in shape
No one ‘should’ post on the Caf, as there’s far better ways to use ones time. But young lad loaded on his summer hols..... We live in a far from perfect world and not all footballers are like Ronaldo.
Maybe the rumours of depression with Luke have some truth. Let’s all hope he’s fit for the coming season and really gives it a go. He’s a really nice young bloke, just struggles with whatever issues he has...

Red_toad

I don't think it's unfair to be a little bit suspicious of any professional footballer who isn't ripped. It just doesn't make sense to me that someone whose body is the tool of an (extremely lucrative) trade wouldn't have very low body fat, all year round.

Rooney's lack of defined abs was something that always perturbed me and, what do you know, his career at the highest level ends almost half a decade earlier than less talented, more dedicated, peers. I don't think that's a coincidence. Micky Owen was another one with a dad bod at a relatively young age and he blatantly cared more about horses than football in his last few years as a pro.

Someone like Higuain probably bucks the trend but I'd say he's an exception that proves the rule.
A fat belly certainly hasn’t harmed the buck toothed racist who’s starring in the World Cup this year.
A pro footballer does certainly not need to have a 6 pack. Body image is very distorted on the Caf...

Kostur

海尔的老板
No one ‘should’ post on the Caf, as there’s far better ways to use ones time. But young lad loaded on his summer hols..... We live in a far from perfect world and not all footballers are like Ronaldo.
Maybe the rumours of depression with Luke have some truth. Let’s all hope he’s fit for the coming season and really gives it a go. He’s a really nice young bloke, just struggles with whatever issues he has...
We are not getting paid ~100k a week not to post on Caf though, he's getting paid that to stay in shape.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
which explains why some are still winning ballon d'or at age 33 while others are lucky if they can find a job with an MLS team at that same age. The 80s are over. Players are being paid 100k a week. They should take care of their body all year long.

Murray3007

in fairness its prob the best shape i have seen him in for a while, basically last chance for him at United, might all ready be over but think he will defo be on the pre-season tour and its up to him to take his chance. Young will be giving extra time of with the world cup and no real news of a transfer coming in so might still be a chance for him.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Slate him for being fat. Slate him for starting training early to get fit. Lad can't win no matter what.
You seemed to have missed the obvious. Luke Shaw starts training early every season and is 5% bodyfat above where he should be every season. The only time he wasn't above where he should be was when he broke his leg and couldnt train. It's almost as if he's training early because he knows he ate a few too many pies.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
You seemed to have missed the obvious. Luke Shaw starts training early every season and is 5% bodyfat above where he should be every season. The only time he wasn't above where he should be was when he broke his leg and couldnt train. It's almost as if he's training early because he knows he ate a few too many pies.
And it's always ending up on social media; - "Look at meeee I'm digging out blind for the new season, don't I deserve a big pat on the back?"

You should be in fecking Russia mate. Instead a 32 year old winger has taken your place at left back for club and country.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
And it's always ending up on social media; - "Look at meeee I'm digging out blind for the new season, don't I deserve a big pat on the back?"

You should be in fecking Russia mate. Instead a 32 year old winger has taken your place at left back for club and country.
As a person that has cut a lot of weight, I can be confident this is what Luke Shaw is doing. You don't make adjustments to your program unless you've done something you shouldnt have. Either Luke Shaw slacked off on his diet, or slacked off on his training, so he is doing a bit of extra work.

Those that are in the best of shape are generally always training aka Sanchez. Who despite not being at the world cup is still working on his conditioning.

luke511

Slate him for being fat. Slate him for starting training early to get fit. Lad can't win no matter what.
First proper pre season since his injury and everyone's still out to get him no matter what, sad as feck in my opinion.

Oldyella

He was injured last year I think as well and couldnt train then either?

Is 5% a lot? He honestly doesnt look that big in the earlier photos to me, a little heavy but nothing that wouldnt shift in no time at his age.

He has had shit luck with injuries and obviously isnt the strongest mentally, but I just find it weird he is getting slated for wanting to stay at Utd while Martial is being slated for wanting to leave. Fair play to him for thinking (hoping?) he can turn it around.

Paxi

As a person that has cut a lot of weight, I can be confident this is what Luke Shaw is doing. You don't make adjustments to your program unless you've done something you shouldnt have. Either Luke Shaw slacked off on his diet, or slacked off on his training, so he is doing a bit of extra work.

Those that are in the best of shape are generally always training aka Sanchez. Who despite not being at the world cup is still working on his conditioning.
Yeah It's not really good for your body to completly stop training. By all means wind down but stay on top of your fitness as well.

AndyJ1985

This time next year it'll be the same story all over again. He's another Anderson. Wouldn't be surprised if Shaw nears his testimonial and people will still be telling us he'll eventually come good.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
He was injured last year I think as well and couldnt train then either?

Is 5% a lot? He honestly doesnt look that big in the earlier photos to me, a little heavy but nothing that wouldnt shift in no time at his age.

He has had shit luck with injuries and obviously isnt the strongest mentally, but I just find it weird he is getting slated for wanting to stay at Utd while Martial is being slated for wanting to leave. Fair play to him for thinking (hoping?) he can turn it around.
5% is a lot in the footballing world but not for average people. But I do agree that he gets a bit too much criticism. If he wants to stay and be an option at left back I don't mind. He's been alright when given the chance, but he has had a few niggling injuries.

Yeah It's not really good for your body to completly stop training. By all means wind down but stay on top of your fitness as well.
It's very difficult to constantly fluctuate in weight. Scientists have researched this and found that the body struggles with gaining and losing fat over and over, and generally prefers to stay at the same level. I can say from personal experience that yo-yo dieting is very tough on you mentally and have had much more success with a slow cutting of weight.

Paxi

5% is a lot in the footballing world but not for average people. But I do agree that he gets a bit too much criticism. If he wants to stay and be an option at left back I don't mind. He's been alright when given the chance, but he has had a few niggling injuries.

It's very difficult to constantly fluctuate in weight. Scientists have researched this and found that the body struggles with gaining and losing fat over and over, and generally prefers to stay at the same level. I can say from personal experience that yo-yo dieting is very tough on you mentally and have had much more success with a slow cutting of weight.
Yeah I remember Ricky Hatton yo-yoing with his weight. He's had a great career but I can't help but think it would have been so much better if he kept himself in shape in between training camps.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Let's see how he is in pre season, when presumably he'll start every match given Rojo and Young won't be back.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Madness if he gets another season on the payroll, at least Darmian can stay fit.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Jose wont be surprised.. :annoyed:
in fairness its prob the best shape i have seen him in for a while, ...
Either you are WUMing or you need to pay a visit to specsavers, immediately!
The guy is in the worst shape I have seen him.
He is basically getting fatter and fatter as he gets older. And before someone says, "this is normal". No it isn't.
He should be improving his game (mental ability) and his physicality. Both.
Instead, he seems intent on getting fat and letting it all hang loose. At some point, pride should come into it.

Memphis was not a great player, but at least the guy had pride and when he was told that he was a squad option, he asked to moved to another club.

Shaw can easily turn this situation around, by making sure that he is the hardest worker in training. Jose loves hard workers, even if they have limited ability.
Shaw seems incapable of doing this, even.

Minimalist

He is basically getting fatter and fatter as he gets older. And before someone says, "this is normal". No it isn't.
Instead, he seems intent on getting fat and letting it all hang loose. At some point, pride should come into it.

Memphis was not a great player, but at least the guy had pride and when he was told that he was a squad option, he asked to moved to another club.

Shaw can easily turn this situation around, by making sure that he is the hardest worker in training. Jose loves hard workers, even if they have limited ability.
This is true. Bit of a problem at times with Mourinho (any old cnut could play for him I think if they just got their BF% down and improved their 10k time).

Definitely must be a mentality problem with Shaw.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
If you think he's going to be our main full back next year under Jose, you are simply delusional. Sell him and get what you can and invest in someone that is going to start over Young.
There are plenty of people on this forum who are delusional. Trust me.
Shaw - best LB in the EPL and probably the world.
Martial - will win the Ball on Dor (even today, some believe this).

Myself, I look at facts and biggest fact is that in 4 years, he has had only a handful of good games for us. No player should be allowed to get away with this, IMO.
Jose needs to to be more ruthless.

Now we have this:

De ja vu. The guy does this every pre-season and manages to get fatter and less fit than the previous season.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
It will be easier for him in his still relatively young age to burn calories and turn it into steel.

The problem looks more and more his mentality and there's some serious work to do here.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!

True. He "works hard" every six months.

roseguy64

De ja vu. The guy does this every pre-season and manages to get fatter and less fit than the previous season.
Is it every pre-season or just this one and the one where he was training with Memphis? The last two pre-seasons since that one he's been rehabbing.

Vashtra

Goes on holiday. Piles the weight on. Starts pre season a few weeks early so he doesn't look completely out of shape by the time he has to report back at Carrington. Same every blooming year.

Murray3007

you do talk some shite, Christ I seen plenty players able to lose over a stone in pre season and they were part time, never mind a full time player at a top club, if hes still this supposed fat cnut in December then have a moan no weeks before pre-season start.

Alvaro Maestre

Last Man Standing 2 finalist 2023/24
Goes on holiday. Piles the weight on. Starts pre season a few weeks early so he doesn't look completely out of shape by the time he has to report back at Carrington. Same every blooming year.
you have to add that he will get a small injury in the first weeks of he season, he will get some additional weight again , then he will be staying after training to get back in shape , rinse and repeat.

MadMike

Jose wont be surprised.. :annoyed:
'Kinell. I'm in the same shape as him and I have 10 years on him and a desk job.

And don't tell me that's just a shape thing. Every game he started last season he looked gassed by the 65th minute and that was a professional athlete mid-season. His fitness was as bad as his shape looks

Dolf

2014: "Luke Shaw arrives a week early for Manchester United pre-season training after cutting short post-World cup holiday"

(https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...raining-after-cutting-short-post-9600970.html)

2015: "Shaw said he can already feel the benefit of having had a rest this summer and undertaking a tailored fitness programme as he prepares for the new campaign."

(https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soccer/soccer-news/manchester-united-defender-luke-shaw-6098536)

2016: : "Luke Shaw won't get much of a holiday as Manchester United defender plans early pre-season to be fighting fit for next term"

(http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...16-plans-hit-ground-running-new-campaign.html)

2017: "Luke Shaw is already back at Carrington to step up rehabilitation on a foot injury in order to prove his fitness before August."

(http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...hester-United-Luke-Shaw-returns-training.html)

2018: "Shaw starts pre-season training early in bid to reignite Red Devils career"

(https://www.express.co.uk/sport/foo...ews-Luke-Shaw-pre-season-training-Dubai-video)

He seems to be really fit and active in July and August. Too bad that's when we DON'T play football.

roseguy64

2014: "Luke Shaw arrives a week early for Manchester United pre-season training after cutting short post-World cup holiday"

(https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...raining-after-cutting-short-post-9600970.html)

2015: "Shaw said he can already feel the benefit of having had a rest this summer and undertaking a tailored fitness programme as he prepares for the new campaign."

(https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soccer/soccer-news/manchester-united-defender-luke-shaw-6098536)

2016: : "Luke Shaw won't get much of a holiday as Manchester United defender plans early pre-season to be fighting fit for next term"

(http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...16-plans-hit-ground-running-new-campaign.html)

2017: "Luke Shaw is already back at Carrington to step up rehabilitation on a foot injury in order to prove his fitness before August."

(http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...hester-United-Luke-Shaw-returns-training.html)

2018: "Shaw starts pre-season training early in bid to reignite Red Devils career"

(https://www.express.co.uk/sport/foo...ews-Luke-Shaw-pre-season-training-Dubai-video)

He seems to be really fit and active in July and August. Too bad that's when we DON'T play football.
Which is what I said. He's been rehabbing the last couple summers so that's why it seems he's always early in trying to get fit. It's because he has to be.

Andersons Dietician

There are plenty of people on this forum who are delusional. Trust me.
Shaw - best LB in the EPL and probably the world.
I’m fairly convinced you yourself can also be very delusional having read your posts over the last few months, kinda comes with the territory of being a fan. Belief in something.

Any way here is our manager who must be dellusional.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/jose-mourinho-hails-luke-shaw-11878798

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/manc...o-luke-shaw-one-of-the-best-left-backs-around

“I'm really happy. I can say that in this moment I don't see many left-backs better than THIS Luke Shaw.”
-Jose

So those were around January. I’m positive that last year he also said something along the lines of Shaw is the best fullback at the club. Was that in potential, physicality I don’t know but you would think if he felt that he’d play him more often. Maybe it is down just to his game management that Jose thinks Young is better at making on the pitch decisions or more mature at this stage.

luke511

The amount of criticism he's getting over a few pictures is insane, he's posted videos of him training give him a chance for fecks sake. I think it's a great motivational tactic by Mourinho to put his trust in him and give him one last chance, he showed us in snippets last season he's still got a chance of getting back to that top level, fitness and lack of trust were the only barriers. He'll be playing a lot of games pre season at LB whilst Young rests after the world cup so there's a good chance Shaw will be in a much better shape at the start of the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.