Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Scholes thinks Mourinho has something personal against Shaw. Said he noticed no difference between his and Young's heatmaps for the half and reckons Scholes will do better at another club with regular football once he leaves in the summer. He and Savage also said we conceded more chances in the second half down that side.

el3mel

Yes. He lived up to it for a short time before his injury. He's struggled since coming back from that and with us changing managers, never seeming to win the full confidence of the managers
Overall his period here, he didn't live up to what was expected from him. Only few games here and there can't be taken as an example. Even his first season here was poor and it's now 2 years post his injury and still couldn't catch any form of his Southampton days. It's just these few games.

He didn't offer what was expected from him when was signed. We all expected him at this time to cement the LB for him for years. He didn't live up for that form whatever, but I can't blame the injury much anymore tbh.

He looked quality at Southampton, I agree, but it just didn't work here. Time for everyone to move one, he and us.

izec

Jose destroyed him more or less. Jesus, dont think we will ever see him again this season.

I think he will do well in another PL club, i can see him improving massively with consistent playing time

Ekeke

Overall his period here, he didn't live up to what was expected from him. Only few games here and there can't be taken as an example. Even his first season here was poor and it's now 2 years post his injury and still couldn't catch any form of his Southampton days. It's just these few games.

He didn't offer what was expected from him when was signed. We all expected him at this time to cement the LB for him for years. He didn't live up for that form whatever, but I can't blame the injury much anymore tbh.

He looked quality at Southampton, I agree, but it just didn't work here. Time for everyone to move one, he and us.
He looked quality here too, until he had a long injury and got lost in the shuffle with other players doing well at leftback for a while. He came back and we barely saw him

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
It was a very meh game, nothing that major to complain about except the lack of attacking threat whatsoever, unless you count the first man crosses but I was surprised with the sub at HT. Chances are he won't make it here.

Art Vandelay

Scholes thinks Mourinho has something personal against Shaw. Said he noticed no difference between his and Young's heatmaps for the half and reckons Scholes will do better at another club with regular football once he leaves in the summer. He and Savage also said we conceded more chances in the second half down that side.
He might well go somewhere with less pressure and less scrutiny, work his way back into the England fold and forever be added to the list of players that Mourinho "failed" like KDB, Lukaku and Salah. He's clearly just not doing whatever it is Mourinho wants him to though and there's no sense in keeping him here if that's the case.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
He did say that but there was a difference when it showed up on the screen. Young was noticeably much more attacking than Shaw, who hovered around the middle of the pitch a lot more.

Don't get me wrong though. Young wasn't brilliant today either.

exit35

Really wanted Shaw to do well here and I'm sad for him that it hasn't worked out. I hoped we had secured a quality left back for years to come but it looks like it's best for him to move on. It doesn't look like he gets on with mourinho.

el3mel

He looked quality here too, until he had a long injury and got lost in the shuffle with other players doing well at leftback for a while. He came back and we barely saw him
He looked quality only in 5 games in what was his second season (not even first). We have been talking about these 5 games for 2 years now or even more. He had several chances in these 2 years but he was always decent at best, good but not to the level that you can trust him in a big game. Can you really trust him at the moment to start against a big game ?

spiriticon

Jose is a pathetic guy. If he wasn't happy with shaw, he could have said it was a tactical decision and then behind closed doors giving a talking to shaw about islands and stuff.
Keeps doing this at every club. Really low grade.
He could have said 'Luke Shaw is a fat feck who can't run to save his life and isn't professional enough to maintain his fitness. I had to sub him off because he looked like he was having a heart attack at half time.'

Taking that into account, I thought Mourinho was being kind to Shaw.

Cliche Guevara

That seems pretty harsh from Jose. Shaw wasn’t having a particularly bad game and if Matic was surrounded by shite it obviously wasn’t just Shaw.

Damning from Jose to say he wasn’t capable defensively and surely he must be very near the exit door.

Canagel

He wasn't bad today. Young was worse but Shaw is the one who Jose throws under the bus. Mourinho has a problem with attacking minded players and he says he brought Young to be more solid defensively but we conceded MORE chances after he came on.

spiriticon

He wasn't bad today. Young was worse but Shaw is the one who Jose throws under the bus. Mourinho has a problem with attacking minded players and he says he brought Young to be more solid defensively but we conceded MORE chances after he came on.
Young was definitely not worse than Shaw. Shaw was god awful today.

luke511

Well that sure showed me.
How about we look a lot more defensively solid when Shaw's playing, as proven by his clean sheet to games ratio compared to Youngs. He offers more natural width, more unpredictability, he opens up space for attackers more than Young does. Our attacking set up and end product relies more on the the left winger rather than the full back when Shaw is playing. We play better football when Shaw is in the side.

Bwuk

He’s had about 10 good games in 4 seasons here.

Get rid in the summer.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Yeah he sure does, that's why he's made a makeshift ex-winger on a left-back who also happens to have 7 assists and two goals this season.

While Shaw has sweet feck all.

Witchking

He could have said 'Luke Shaw is a fat feck who can't run to save his life and isn't professional enough to maintain his fitness. I had to sub him off because he looked like he was having a heart attack at half time.'

Taking that into account, I thought Mourinho was being kind to Shaw.
Shaw was not at all bad. Valencia was worse and still stayed on. Jose seems to have something against shaw. The second half Brighton attacked more and had a lot of space on the left.

spiriticon

Shaw was not at all bad. Valencia was worse and still stayed on. Jose seems to have something against shaw. The second half Brighton attacked more and had a lot of space on the left.
But Mourinho explained that it was only because Valencia can defend better. Which I agree with.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
Look at him protecting his players.... But really I have no idea why Shaw is still here he made it clear last season that he does not rate him.
It's not as simple as "he does not rate him". I think it's clear that he sees quality in him but doesn't like the way he plays, so he's worked with him to get him to play the way he wanted. Remember the quotes in February :
"Could he come in my direction and way I see and think football, the way I like my players on the pitch and in training? He made a big effort. I'm really happy. So, I think natural consequence is he’ll have his contract and be a MU player for years".

Obviously Shaw didn't get there in the end and his time is ending. That's why he isn't playing.

Bwuk

About 8 of them were in the weeks leading up to his injury.
That was a while ago now.

First season he was too unfit and LvG never trusted him.

Second season horror injury.

Third and fourth under Jose he can’t get in the team at all. When is enough enough?

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
It's not as simple as "he does not rate him". I think it's clear that he sees quality in him but doesn't like the way he plays, so he's worked with him to get him to play the way he wanted. Remember the quotes in February :
"Could he come in my direction and way I see and think football, the way I like my players on the pitch and in training? He made a big effort. I'm really happy. So, I think natural consequence is he’ll have his contract and be a MU player for years".

Obviously Shaw didn't get there in the end and his time is ending. That's why he isn't playing.
If he does not like the way he plays he should have just sold him. The current situation is a complete waste of everyone's time.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
I think the public humiliation is entirely unnecessary, but I agree the player is no longer showing signs that he can be the starting left back for us.

He’s become a master of not doing anything.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
That was a while ago now.

First season he was too unfit and LvG never trusted him.

Second season horror injury.

Third and fourth under Jose he can’t get in the team at all. When is enough enough?
When he was fit he was a consistent starter for Van Gaal during that first season.

Kostur

海尔的老板
How about we look a lot more defensively solid when Shaw's playing, as proven by his clean sheet to games ratio compared to Youngs. He offers more natural width, more unpredictability, he opens up space for attackers more than Young does. Our attacking set up and end product relies more on the the left winger rather than the full back when Shaw is playing. We play better football when Shaw is in the side.
Shaw has played against Stoke, Huddersfield, Bournemouth, Burnley and SOTON at home this season, Everton and 23 minutes CP game away. Wonder why his clean sheet to games ratio compared to Young's is better.

How does he offer 'more natural width'? Does he run through the stands now? Unpredictability? In what sense? He opens up space for attacks? He's doing all of this stuff that Young apparently doesn't and he doesn't have a fecking single assist to his name this season, whereas Young has 7? 0 goals for United being here 4th season (one season out due to leg break). He isn't better than a 32 year old winger/#10 converted to a defender. Let that sink in. Nevermind the fact that Young himself isn't a Cafu reincarnated.

He doesn't offer shit, that's his problem. He isn't Philip Lahm defensively, he doesn't offer anything offensively, he isn't half as fit (strength, stamina, you call it) as Valencia, his fitness and desire to play has always been questioned (LVG, Mourinho, his ex managers too, even before his United days). This shit has been done to death, if somebody's at fault for his situation, it's Luke Shaw himself.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
There's a significant difference in the heatmaps. Shaw barely has any presence near their box. Unlike Young.
https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/1271248/Live/England-FA-Cup-2017-2018-Manchester-United-Brighton

Minimalist

Yeaaaaah. Sorry Luke (don't really think you played all that bad tonight funny enough).

Better luck at your next club.

Ekeke

He looked quality only in 5 games in what was his second season (not even first). We have been talking about these 5 games for 2 years now or even more. He had several chances in these 2 years but he was always decent at best, good but not to the level that you can trust him in a big game. Can you really trust him at the moment to start against a big game ?
A lot of players take a season to settle. Especially a teenager.

Yes. I'd trust him as much as Ashley Young at this point because Young has been at fault for a bunch of goals against us (sometimes joint) its hard to see Shaw being more vulnerable.

He's definitely done a lot more at 22 years old than Lingard had done or McTominay, although obviously McTominay has another year to catch up

Scarecrow

Having a week off
If he does not like the way he plays he should have just sold him. The current situation is a complete waste of everyone's time.
It's a personality issue. That was my point. You can change that with coaching, which is his job. He tried and is frustrated that Luke isn't learning. At least that's what I gather from his comments.

Witchking

But Mourinho explained that it was only because Valencia can defend better. Which I agree with.
Ok, I just read the full quotes in the other thread. He had a go at all the players. I thought he had a go at shaw directly.

But I still don't think shaw was at fault for anything. He was one of the better players. So the criticism is weird.

Roboc7

No point in him being at club next season, he didn’t play well but was hardly alone.

In Rainbows

Which forum are you reading?

It's possible to not be a fan of Mourinho and still think Shaw isn't great. Especially as his issues predate Mourinho.
This one obviously. The point is that the difference between Shaw and Young isn't great, yet Young plays all the time. It's obvious Mou has his favorites.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
Status
Not open for further replies.