Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sylar

I dont think hes had much of an issue defensively for us. He hardly gets beaten on the outside or done by a 1-2 or in a one on one situation. Sure he could get closer to stop crosses coming in (but I think this will be less of an issue with somebody like Smalling who can clear those 99% of the time).

I do think he could add more however in terms of attacking. His crosses need to be worked on and I do think he can make a few more runs outwide / down the byline like Evra used to.

Jeffthered

I dont think hes had much of an issue defensively for us. He hardly gets beaten on the outside or done by a 1-2 or in a one on one situation. Sure he could get closer to stop crosses coming in (but I think this will be less of an issue with somebody like Smalling who can clear those 99% of the time).

I do think he could add more however in terms of attacking. His crosses need to be worked on and I do think he can make a few more runs outwide / down the byline like Evra used to.
I 100% agree. His defending is fine, but he still seems a little hesitant on the ball... very hesitant at times. Maybe his personality isn't that strong (compare to Irwin, Heinze, Evra...). he needs to effect our game from an attacking viewpoint, far, far more. He rarely crosses, or gets to the goalline.. look at Trippier, Walker etc. We have not one, but two holding midfielders, so he should feel more confident of moving forward. he should be having shots, crossing balls, getting on the end of crosses from the right. You're a full-back at Manchester United man... ! Celebrate your game! Be happy, confident and go destroy teams! :)

What is a worry, is when he plays alongside Martial (who also has a tendency to slow the game down..) we can look pretty pedestrian down the left.

I do feel our Full Backs are two positions where we can be far, far, far, far more effective from an attacking viewpoint. But defensively, we are looking much, much better.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I was critical of him after the PSG game (where I thought he was really crap) so glad to see him put in a really good shift yesterday. Thought he was great, and put in a couple of vital challenges.

He also seems to not be getting injured as much now, which is good.

Roughseas

He makes great runs forward with pace but Martial rarely ever passes to him. The team will reach next level of quality when they play a selfless cohesive style, similar to City’s.

Ekeke

I've never seen Chilwell play, but on the left, we need a proper defender first and foremost imo. Martial and Pogba on the left is a huge attacking threat already, so we need someone to give them this freedom with solid defending imo
Chilwell is quite well balanced, he's quite determined with his defending (though maybe not quite as solid as Shaw) and he likes to dribble going forward. But I wouldnt say theres a huge difference in quality between him and Shaw for us to want to replace what we have.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
I wonder with whom (realistically) would the doubters want to replace him. He might not be great going forward, but with Martial and Pogba on the left, that is really not the issue imo. Our weakness is our right side.

He's been solid on the left and gives Martial and Pogba freedom which is more than good enough
This.

Plus historically teams have had one defensively sound(not that great attacking FB) on one side and great attackingly FB on the other side. Brown/Evra for us. Alves/Abidal for Barcelona.

The RB is an huge issue but I don't see the urgent need to improve at LB.

rampo

I would much rather buy an attack minded RB if Shaw is going to be our LB for coming years (which I think, he should be). We have enough attacking prowess on the left side with Martial/Pogba and there are times when all our attacks seem to come from the left.

Given Shaw is defensively solid, I would buy an attack minded RB and let him stay up the pitch while Shaw can provide cover at the back

Alemar

How Shaw should do more in attack when Martial and often Pogba also tend to position themselves where Shaw should appear? There is enough attacking threat down the left as it is - and it’s only a good thing that Shaw is defensively reliable.

It’s the right flank where attacking threat is non-existent, but it’s not a question for Luke

Kostov

I wonder with whom (realistically) would the doubters want to replace him. He might not be great going forward, but with Martial and Pogba on the left, that is really not the issue imo. Our weakness is our right side.

He's been solid on the left and gives Martial and Pogba freedom which is more than good enough
Some of his critics can not wait for him to have a bad game to come here and slate him regardless. It's the same set of fans that wanted Shaw sold and replaced with Danny fecking Rose a year ago, and still claimed Young was better when Mourinho preferred him over Luke. Realistically we can do better, but it can wait until we solve other positions. Shaw has been one of our best player this season but it's hard for some of them to acknowledge it.

Giggsforever

Evra was a bad crosser, Shaw is better at that for sure. The matter now is that there are often two or more attacking players out wide as we play now, so it's not really space that often for him to attack wide (at least the last 20 yards).

Evra had 21 assist for us in 278 pl apps with a 19% cross accuracy. Shaw has 4 in 28 games this season with a total cross accuracy of 21%. People don't remember yesterday and refuse to see today.

deafepl

Brilliant performance today. He really is rather good defensively. Thus, we need an attacking right back! Anyone else thinking he would be pretty good on the left side in a three at the back?
I think that would work against counters attack when we don't need Matic to go back into 3 at back when we're in attacking with fullback/midfielder pushing high, Shaw can go back as LCB with Lindelof as a ball playing in middle, on paper it's 4-3-3.

Mickson

Evra was a bad crosser, Shaw is better at that for sure. The matter now is that there are often two or more attacking players out wide as we play now, so it's not really space that often for him to attack wide (at least the last 20 yards).

Evra had 21 assist for us in 278 pl apps with a 19% cross accuracy. Shaw has 4 in 28 games this season with a total cross accuracy of 21%. People don't remember yesterday and refuse to see today.
Evra was a bad crosser but was still brilliant going forward with his short passes, speed, and intelligence. Shaw is nowhere near him. And 4 assist in 28 games, according to...? According to WhoScored Shaw has 1 assist in all tournaments...and 9 yellow cards.

Rossa

Evra was a bad(ish) crosser, but still far better than Shaw. What Evra did very well, and we should have capitalized on far more, was cutting back 45 degrees onto the penalty spot. We just didn't have midfielders who found that position often. Also, Evra was far, far superior to Shaw when it came to finding space in attack, linking up with others, timing overlaps, dribbling, and all other technical aspects of attacking as a fullback. He was also much quicker than Shaw, especially off the mark. At his peak, I can only think of Lennon outpacing him on short bursts. Shaw is often caught out by quick attackers on the first few yards - great top speed though.

Comparing Shaw to Evra is unfair for Shaw - completely different fullbacks.

Rossa

I think that would work against counters attack when we don't need Matic to go back into 3 at back when we're in attacking with fullback/midfielder pushing high, Shaw can go back as LCB with Lindelof as a ball playing in middle, on paper it's 4-3-3.
Would definitely be interesting. Shaw is a pretty decent header of the ball as well.

Sylar

Speaking of refusing to see today, lets go back to my point:

"I do think he can make a few more runs outwide / down the byline like Evra used to."
@Rossa makes the point. He would get out wide and cut the ball back to the penalty spot which was an added dimension to attacks. You see City do that a lot hence why they get a lot of tap ins.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Evra was a bad(ish) crosser, but still far better than Shaw. What Evra did very well, and we should have capitalized on far more, was cutting back 45 degrees onto the penalty spot. We just didn't have midfielders who found that position often. Also, Evra was far, far superior to Shaw when it came to finding space in attack, linking up with others, timing overlaps, dribbling, and all other technical aspects of attacking as a fullback. He was also much quicker than Shaw, especially off the mark. At his peak, I can only think of Lennon outpacing him on short bursts. Shaw is often caught out by quick attackers on the first few yards - great top speed though.

Comparing Shaw to Evra is unfair for Shaw - completely different fullbacks.
Yeah agree with this. Evra's final ball was poor but he was very good footballer. His dribbling, overlapping runs, cut backs was very good. He provided the width and made runs in almost every attack.

Like you said, unfair to compare them considering how good Evra was.

shahzy

Signs of a lazy player.
Or one that needs his confidence built up. I'd imagine if he overlapped and then there was a turn over, he'd get an absolute bollocking from you know who. That rocks your confidence and you dont do it again. It happens in everyones life to some capacity.
I think calling him lazy should only be reserved after the above has been tried

Canagel

Or one that needs his confidence built up. I'd imagine if he overlapped and then there was a turn over, he'd get an absolute bollocking from you know who. That rocks your confidence and you dont do it again. It happens in everyones life to some capacity.
I think calling him lazy should only be reserved after the above has been tried
Yeah but you know who is gone now.

Irwin99

So it'll be him vs Salah this weekend. All the best Luke.
He can just ask Ashely Young for tips and he'll be fine :D. Seriously, that was a pretty damn good performance Young put in against Salah last year. He was very quiet that game at a time when he was killing the rest of the league.

I think Shaw will be fine, defensively at least.

sam147

Timid player who is decent at defending and poor going forward. Lost that drive he used to have probably because of his size. He is still our best fullback. At least he doesnt blast it up the pitch when he is under pressure like Young does. We need competition for him so another LB like Tierney or Telles would be great.

Tiber

Terrific all day, very well deserved MOTD

Yet another young player that Jose tried to force out is making huge strides under Ole

el3mel

Impressive performance today. Had Salah in his pockets easily and frustrated the hell out of him leading the sub. Great work.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
Amazing game. This performance was expected from him, he's been rock solid all season. Well done Luke!

Status
Not open for further replies.