g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Luke Shaw image 23

Luke Shaw England flag

2018-19 Performances

View full 2018-19 profile

6.2 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

GreenHeron

Time is on his side in terms of improving his attacking output. There are parallels with Gary Neville, who was pretty useless in attack until he was around 26 but went on to become a club great at right back.

Shaw is every bit as good a defender as Neville was, and like Neville while he has the ability to play centre half especially on the side of a 3, his best position is full back, and if he can add some attacking output to his game in the next 2-3 years he could become a club legend.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
I was always backing him. Cannot believe some posters wanted a new LB. For cover maybe. Shaw is really good.

Aloysius's Back 3

Does anyone think that he would get better attacking wise if he was positioned in a more attacking position instead? Say as a LWB?

I watch him play & he plays very deep; sometimes to the point where he is the last defender - whilst this helps him defend no doubt, I do think it impedes his attacking ability.

Whether we have had Rashford, Martial or Sanchez at LW - the distance between them & Shaw seems way too big for him to ever just make a simple over lap by the touchline.

I'd like to see him have a game at LWB - giving him a bit more of an attacking position for him to make a run that would be much more simple - whilst having his defensive ability shared across the rest of the defensive line.

I mean if we do go for wan bissaka too - he is said to be a defensive RB maybe much like Shaw - putting them a bit higher up the pitch may just bring a balance to their game that they need. That we need. That players like martial & Rashford need out wide.

NoPace

Solidly established in our 2nd tier (1st tier is just Pogba and De Gea, certainties barring injury and good injury records) of starters we can feel good about doing the business next season, along with Lindelof, Herrera and Rashford and then probably okay to be optimistic about Martial and one last Matic season.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
That was the best performance I've ever seen him have in a United shirt. Was unbelievable today, Salah couldn't deal with him. Games like this show that there's still a hell of a lot of potential in him. We have 0 cover for him though which could end up being an issue with his injury record.

Bola

I cannot recall any other PL player completely nullifying Mohammad Salah the way Luke Shaw did this afternoon.

His best defensive performance since signing for the club.
Young has him in his pocket last season, but Shaw seemed to go a step further by doing the zip up and lodging the zip handle in the seam

Bola

Absolute defensive clinic from him today, my MOTM by some margin. Just don't get those people saying we need an upgrade on LB as well considering Shaw has been one of our best performers this thus far.
I agree, there is always that lingering doubt re injuries, but I reckon Shaw getting into great shape over the summer has helped mitigate this risk

With Young signed for another year and fingers crossed we get an established and mature RB in the summer (until Dalot is ready), then i think our fullbacks slots are sorted

Very happy for the lad today

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
That was the best performance I've ever seen him have in a United shirt. Was unbelievable today, Salah couldn't deal with him. Games like this show that there's still a hell of a lot of potential in him. We have 0 cover for him though which could end up being an issue with his injury record.
Yeah, we need some cover. I'm wondering if the cover can double as a more offensive option. Shaw for when we need solidity, someone else for when we want more attacking return. Just a thought. Unfortunately there's that much that needs addressing still I'm not convinced we'll ever be able to get to the point of looking at stuff like this.

sam147

Yeah, we need some cover. I'm wondering if the cover can double as a more offensive option. Shaw for when we need solidity, someone else for when we want more attacking return. Just a thought. Unfortunately there's that much that needs addressing still I'm not convinced we'll ever be able to get to the point of looking at stuff like this.
Agreed, I dont think Young or Dalot should be back up LBs. We need someone left footed or else we lose the balance. A LB who likes to get forward would be great, maybe Tierney or Telles.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Time is on his side in terms of improving his attacking output. There are parallels with Gary Neville, who was pretty useless in attack until he was around 26 but went on to become a club great at right back.

Shaw is every bit as good a defender as Neville was, and like Neville while he has the ability to play centre half especially on the side of a 3, his best position is full back, and if he can add some attacking output to his game in the next 2-3 years he could become a club legend.
Defensively, he's already better than Neville, imho.

Ekeke

He took one of the best attackers in the EPL out of the game and pocketed him for large parts. Our CBs didn't have to do much apart from regulation defending which I expect Manchester United defenders to do. Maybe my expectations are too high, but Shaw taking their best player out nullified their attack and made it much easier for the rest.
Have to agree that he was clearly the best today. He had a good amount of work to do, Smalling and Lindelof were quite comfortable because Liverpool's central strikers didnt test them much

Fracture90

The problem with Luke is going forward.
He works just fine going forward, especially when paired up with Martial. Can he get better going forward? Yes he can, but not like he's useless in that aspect of the game.

haram

He works just fine going forward, especially when paired up with Martial. Can he get better going forward? Yes he can, but not like he's useless in that aspect of the game.
How many assists does he have in his entire career?

Fracture90

I agree, there is always that lingering doubt re injuries, but I reckon Shaw getting into great shape over the summer has helped mitigate this risk

With Young signed for another year and fingers crossed we get an established and mature RB in the summer (until Dalot is ready), then i think our fullbacks slots are sorted

Very happy for the lad today
He's always looking chunky but he's very quick and pretty strong.

Fracture90

How many assists does he have in his entire career?
He had shiitload of injuries after which he needed time to get back on track playing for some crappy managers that didn't want us to attack and didn't want to have fullbacks going forward.

Pretty sure he'd have more assists if some of his passes/crosses were converted by our players. It's not all about assists, he has been involved in crucial passes for some of the big chances we had and goals that we've scored.

haram

He had shiitload of injuries after which he needed time to get back on track playing for some crappy managers that didn't want us to attack and didn't want to have fullbacks going forward.

Pretty sure he'd have more assists if some of his passes/crosses were converted by our players. It's not all about assists, he has been involved in crucial passes for some of the big chances we had and goals that we've scored.
His final ball and crossing is not good enough. Running with the ball and passing in his own half he is ok. Lets not blame everyone else for his lack of end product. That’s on him.

Kostov

His final ball and crossing is not good enough. Running with the ball and passing in his own half he is ok. Lets not blame everyone else for his lack of end product. That’s on him.
Let's hope he can improve on his attacking input, that way, we will probably have the best LB in the league, easily.

Fracture90

Remember that great cross he made for Rashford's header against Leicester? Yep that was Shaw, just one of many examples.

Fracture90

Yeah I could put in a good cross if you gave me enough chances.
That doesn't really change the fact that he's putting in some good passes/crosses that we are not converting which would result in him having more assists.

haram

That doesn't really change the fact that he's putting in some good passes/crosses that we are not converting which would result in him having more assists.
In general his crossing and delivery is not good enough. Pointing out a good ball here and there does not change that.

Fracture90

In general his crossing and delivery is not good enough. Pointing out a good ball here and there does not change that.
I'm not claiming he's amazing at it, but he certainly does more than you give him credit for, but it has a lot to do with our style of play under our previous managers (your idol amongst them as well) and their uber defensive scheme and not allowing their fullbacks to go forward. It's no accident that his crossing and delivery has picked up in this new more attacking model under Ole.

haram

Just like that, you throw in petty comments using words like “idol” and I am done. Moronic post.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Loved the way how he didn't even see the need to dive in thus giving Salah the opportunity to dive. Huge perfromance.

If we can get an attacking right back then it will nicely compliment Shaw. I don't see the need to replace him with Tierney etc.

SirAF

Ageist
Loved the way how he didn't even see the need to dive in thus giving Salah the opportunity to dive. Huge perfromance.

If we can get an attacking right back then it will nicely compliment Shaw. I don't see the need to replace him with Tierney etc.
I agree. Shaw is good defensively but doesn’t offer anything special going forward, a proper attacking RB would offer some good balance I feel - ideally that would be Dalot.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
I agree. Shaw is good defensively but doesn’t offer anything special going forward, a proper attacking RB would offer some good balance I feel - ideally that would be Dalot.
I think with Shaw you also have to consider that Rashford, Martial and Pogba all like to cut in from the left wing which makes that side overloaded and thus it becomes impossible for Shaw to see space ahead of him whereas at the right side(partially due to overloading at left) is completely empty and thus has loads of space.

That's why I'm not that critical of Shaw's attacking instincts.

SirAF

Ageist
I think with Shaw you also have to consider that Rashford, Martial and Pogba all like to cut in from the left wing which makes that side overloaded and thus it becomes impossible for Shaw to see space ahead of him whereas at the right side(partially due to overloading at left) is completely empty and thus has loads of space.

Good point.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!

If they don't pass to him as he makes the overlap, then he can't cross. Quite simple

Litch

Great yesterday and can't fault him. My only issue with him in general is we need him to deliver offensively too....

Skills

Snitch
I actually think subtly he offers enough going forward. His touch for one is fantastic and amongst the best in the club. Quite often he's played a very difficult pass from the CBs or GK, and he takes it down quite easily to keep possession and getting us moving ahead.

His one touch passing and passing in general is also very good. It's just the crossing he's poor at, and I'll always maintain it's a hugely inefficient way to score anyway. There aren't many full backs who are great crossers - Trippier is the best of the lot, and he has 3 assists this season crossing to Harry Kane of all players.

binary bot
I actually see him making a dramatic improvement going forward when we get a decent right winger and/or right back.

Same with Martial. Teams just pack the left hand side of the pitch and forget about the right. Once we start stretching teams, there'll be a huge difference.

Skills

Snitch
I actually see him making a dramatic improvement going forward when we get a decent right winger and/or right back.

Same with Martial. Teams just pack the left hand side of the pitch and forget about the right. Once we start stretching teams, there'll be a huge difference.
It is kind of funny how in Fergies last few years we heavily favoured the right - with both Nani and Valencia preferring RW. Now it's the polar opposite. If only we had one of them two in their prime to lock down the RW and we'd be in business.

Sylar

Defensively hes never had an issue (but that was probably his best game). He just doesnt get beaten that easily.
The good thing is hes only 23 (despite seemingly being here for half a decade). And he should improve on his attacking as you would expect if we have a manager like Ole, then 90% of games will see him overlap and join our attack to become an extra attacker.

Giggsyking

Jose fanboys try hard to shit on our players, just to prove a point. Not surprised.

Status
Not open for further replies.