Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Superunknown

I'm not a huge fan of his, but I thought he had a very good game tonight. Looked good going forward and got into some tasty positions. I can see what he was trying to do with his final ball into the box on many occasions and on a different night he might have set up a few more goals for the side. What impressed me was how far forward he's getting, although it does make me wonder how vulnerable we may be against some of the bigger sides with the amount of space that is then vacated. Always a risk when you want your fullbacks to play this way, however. But, for tonight's game, it was like having an extra attacker. Great game.

mu4c_20le

Love the new haircut. Looks like he just broke out of prison. Guy can literally run all day now.

El Jefe

Feck me this guy wastes so many openings. Rashford and Pogba must have played him into great positions about 6 or 7 times and other than the nice clipped ball to Bruno, all his crosses were blocked.

One of his best games in a long time, but he needs to learn to play first time crosses.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Great game from him. He actually strikes me as cocky. He and Rashford are developing a good partnership and England can use that

Bojan11

Don’t know how anyone can say he had a great game. Rashford put him through so many times and his final ball is atrocious.

Bobski

His touch and dribbling in tight areas is really very impressive.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Has done really well in past 2 games. Can see him following coaching patterns with his many overlapping runs: sometimes dummy runs which provide Rashford opportunity to cut inside but I’m loving the 1-2s that allows him to get to the end line and whip over crosses. If he can’t just improve his crossing an extra 5% he’ll be unplayable.

His defending is much more disciplined, probably because Maguire can provide him big brother type direction.

with this kind of form and Williams as understudy, am relaxed about LB for next year so OGS can spend funds elsewhere.

SirScholes

Don’t know how anyone can say he had a great game. Rashford put him through so many times and his final ball is atrocious.
Tbf he’s left back, it does need work, I don’t think he had much to aim for at times but he was a constant thorn inside for Villa and a good outlet
Without his runs teams can stay compact

Djemba-Djemba

His fitness is much improved and he makes really good runs.

It's just that final ball is often so poor, if he can sort that out he'd be such a huge asset.

arthurka

Liked how he was always blocking the runs and the ball from the wide players at Villa. They were getting really annoyed with him. But he needs to get some attacking contribution going he is a non attacking threat in his form.. But hey it's hard to fault any player in this team today.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Was largely excellent, but for the positions he receives the ball in, and the frequency he finds himself in those situations - more should be coming out of it. He never ever picks anyone out when it counts.

That aside, I thought he did the rest of his job brilliantly.

Andersons Dietician

I think on occasion he should probably just have a crack at goal see if he can force a mistake. You can see him looking for a pass for someone and sometimes it just isn’t there so bang it in. Should add his cross for the Bruno miss was good. How Bruno missed that I don’t know.

I do find whatever tactic Ole is deploying with him very interesting. Sometimes he’s tucked inside just playing as a midfielder. Probably to allow Pogba and Bruno to just go at will. Other times he is over lapping, I quite like the balance he’s found in his role.

Quite like when he is actually tucked inside as a midfielder. Does a great job of allowing us to maintain preasure on teams. Something they’ve clearly worked on because he mixes it up quite a bit.

Hopefully people can realise the importance of the roll he is playing.

Want to say about the runs. These were the runs he was always making. Difference is now Rashford actually passes the ball so people probably notice them now.

Welbeckham

Plays very well at the moment. Had one great cross for Bruno’s header during the first half but other than that could have done better with the final ball. Makes a good pair with Rashford.

Edit: And I agree that he should take much more shots, because he gets himself into very dangerous areas with those great runs

It's B Rubble

Liked how he was always blocking the runs and the ball from the wide players at Villa. They were getting really annoyed with him. But he needs to get some attacking contribution going he is a non attacking threat in his form.. But hey it's hard to fault any player in this team today.
I have to disagree with your assumption that Shaw is a “non attacking threat”. He did the dirty work on the left side, letting Rashford and Greenwood find space and put in some decent balls from advanced positions on the left. I feel like he had a shot on goal as well.

friendlytramp

More full of crap than a curry house toilet
Not good enough end product unfortunately.
The amount of opportunities he gets imagine if that was a proper attacking left back

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Why is he trying to cut back from the byline - no idea. He should try all options. One time he tried a high cross it was a goal scoring chance which Bruno missed.

If he can bring some variations to his passes, he would be solid.

Bobski

Evra was a mediocre deliverer of a final ball, but his attacking game was fantastically valuable to Utd for many years. Shaws ability to play out of tight spots, initiate and support attacks is an important element in the attacking gameplan.

arnie_ni

I think those that clamour for a more attacking left back actually arent seeing shaws main role in the team.

When we attack he almost slides in beside matic as another centre mid fielder to allow pogba and bruno roam free.

He is a vital cog in stopping counter attacks, retaining possession and maintaining pressure.

With a better attacker but worse defender and general passer youd lose alot of that.

Idxomer

His overall technique and talent should make him one of if not the best left-back in the world. He's a very intelligent footballer with usually great positioning in attack and defense and he has a true understanding of space around him. He's 25 though and for one reason or another hasn't put it all together yet but this is the closest he's come to do so. If he finds that extra gear with his end product and I don't see a reason why he can't, he will be really great for us rather than just consistently solid.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
His touch in tight areas is very good. Doesn’t lose the ball often and has been quietly playing very well for us recently.

He’s never outstanding though so I still maintain we could upgrade on him but he’s playing really well at the moment. Would like to see more in the attacking third from him.

TheReligion

Abusive
Thought he was great tonight. Full of energy and running. Constantly looking to get past Rashford. They have a good relationship together on that side.

Just needs a bit more composure with his final ball into the box or have the confidence to shoot himself.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Fair play to him, he’s getting better and better and looks fitter too.

Go on Shaw!

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Great game from him. Not perfect, but those extra few offensive runs each game makes a massive difference over the course of a season and if he doesn't do them how can we expect him to improve in the final third? He just has to continue like this and it's not too late for him to become an exceptional LB. While he is in fact class regarding some things he can still improve on his all-round game and become even more polished.

edcunited1878

He's been in great form and very consistent. Been making good overlapping runs more and more. Really happy for him and long make it continue.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
He's playing well and providing overlaps which is very pleasing to see. Should've had a assist too.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
He can provide as many overlapping runs, put in a decent cross, pass exquisitely and Stephen Howson will still call for him to be benched for his pal Brandon Williams.

LoneStar

Had a great game. Loved his runs forward and his link up play with Rashford. Great engine. Also he has a very nice first touch and can pass in tight spaces.

He still needs to work on his end product though. Mix up the crosses and the cutbacks, maybe add a shot or two in there as well. Improve the quality of them in general.

Web of Bissaka

It should be clear by now why Ole had to play him always in this "long" (by our usual standard) unbeaten run.

Crucial in build-up, constant left width, ball retention, ease pressure off teammates by giving constant passing option and holding the ball, good passing decision makings for possession play, good stamina up and down, and defensively good in the box, and help cover Maguire's, Pogba's and Matic's tendencies to get caught on the break, etc.

Shaw is silently improving ain't he.

It's worrying if he's out.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I think this is the best version of Shaw. He is making so many runs (like that Chelsea game at Stamford bridge where he was very good attacking threat), we have so many games but even in the last mins, he is making the runs. He looks super fit player now.

He should improve his final passes though, he will get plenty of chances with Rashford always slipping passes now.

Status
Not open for further replies.