Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

DavelinaJolie

I thought he was excellent, defensively sound and his corners were pretty much spot on.

Raven

The thing that a lot of people for get about Shaw is that not only did the leg break effect his form and probably mentality but it also robbed him of at least a years worth of his development. Given his recent improvement in his delivery, you can see that he is still growing as a player. His technique, strength and pace are all outstanding so I think the sky really is the limit for him in terms of how good he can become.

GueRed

defended well and put in a couple of decent corners

overall good performance

impressive when u consider he just came back from a lengthy lay-off

The United

Showrd that you didn't need to go to the ground every other tackle to be good in one on one and defending in general.

thepolice123

Looks like Telles and Williams have took away the negative attention from him. He has been consistently good for us in the big games.

He is a defensive rock compared to the other two trainwrecks.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Looks like Telles and Williams have took away the negative attention from him. He has been consistently good for us in the big games.

He is a defensive rock compared to the other two trainwrecks.
Spurs. Leipzig.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Was really good. I still think he'd make a great CDM in the Lahm role.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Another one where it surprises me when he gets jumped on by our fans. Seriously, nowhere near as bad as he is made out to be. Still our best LB by a way.

romufc

Another one where it surprises me when he gets jumped on by our fans. Seriously, nowhere near as bad as he is made out to be. Still our best LB by a way.
Yep. He gets jumped on because he doesnt get goals or assists.

The reason none of our full backs do that well is because we don't have anyone in the box, but its our full backs fault that?

Shaw has been good for us since January, he is solid down the left, he even covers the back post well on most occasions.

Adam-Utd

I think he’d be perfect for CB
He's not really aggressive enough for a CB and is a little bit of a dawdler. He has the physical attributes but not sure he's mentally switched on enough.

He has played quite well in the 3-5-2 in the past though, I think that's a role he could do more of. Similar to how Creswell is excelling at West Ham too.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
He's not a fecking center back. Hope that's clear.
He's been good every other time he's played there. It was only against Leipzig that it didn't work. Whether that was the poor setup of the entire team, it being his first game back from injury, or it being the first time a significant weakness showed it's head, I'm not sure.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
He's not really aggressive enough for a CB and is a little bit of a dawdler. He has the physical attributes but not sure he's mentally switched on enough.

He has played quite well in the 3-5-2 in the past though, I think that's a role he could do more of. Similar to how Creswell is excelling at West Ham too.
You could say the same about Lindelof

Devil81

He's never in position and he's lazy chasing back.

He's good on the ball I will give him that but he lacks in other departments, too early to say he's better than Telles as well. Give him time to develop at the club.

He’s a good left back, and doesn’t get the credit he deserves. Of course, the big issue is his fitness. Which with Telles now here, makes it less of an issue. Whether it’s the effect of Telles or a coincidence, he’s upped his game this season.

Andersons Dietician

Whether it’s the effect of Telles or a coincidence, he’s upped his game this season.
People say this very casually when the truth is he hasn’t upped his game this season. He actually probably hasn’t hit the heights of his previous seasons in terms of performances which I’m sure has in part been to the stop start nature of this season.

elmo

People say this very casually when the truth is he hasn’t upped his game this season. He actually probably hasn’t hit the heights of his previous seasons in terms of performances which I’m sure has in part been to the stop start nature of this season.
People only judge our fullbacks by their attacking game for some reason.

I disagree. I think he’s done well at both ends of the pitch. He’s now got genuine competition. Clearly niggling injuries don’t help, but as I said when he’s played I think he’s upped his game.

@elmo - I look at all aspects of someone’s game.

Andersons Dietician

I disagree. I think he’s done well at both ends of the pitch. He’s now got genuine competition. Clearly niggling injuries don’t help, but as I said when he’s played I think he’s upped his game.

@elmo - I look at all aspects of someone’s game.
Personally I don’t think he’s been anywhere near as good as he has been in previous seasons yet. Actually think he’s been a good bit off the form he has shown in those previous seasons where everyone wanted him gone. His attacking output hasn’t been as good as previous seasons either so I guess it’s just hard to see why people think he has improved this season.

I don’t think he has been bad, Its just to me he’s been better in previous seasons by a good margin.

Andersons Dietician

Ah Assist blindness you reckon? Was it two assists he’s knocked up this season? That maybe explains why some think he has upped his game this season.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Ah Assist blindness you reckon? Was it two assists he’s knocked up this season? That maybe explains why some think he has upped his game this season.
People think he’s upped his game because they continuously blindly ignore every game he does well in. Just look at his thread after every good game and there is without a doubt always several posts about him “upping his game” and “best game in ages.” It completely ignores that the exact same things were said after the previous match and the ones before that.

He was fantastic after the lockdown return. Was praised as his best football since his leg break. A couple months later and it’s completely forgotten and now this is his best football after the leg break. Next week the City match will be forgotten and it’ll be his best game in years yet again.

A few weeks ago a poster claimed he never entered the opposition half despite his average position being in the opposition half and in line with Mason Greenwood. People refuse to deal with facts when it comes to Luke Shaw. Every good performance is immediately forgotten to never be spoken about again.

He also has a phenomenon of people desperately trying to attribute any of his positives to other players. Like the non-sense about competition from Williams making him better. He was our fans player of the year and our players’ player of the year the season before Williams was even promoted. So how did Williams improve him?

It is the same again now. He was already player of the year, then apparently massively improved because of Williams and now Telles is apparently making him massively improve as well. But then at the same time still isn’t good enough apparently.

People go as far as to claim Telles apparently teaches him at training how to cross the ball. Once again completely ignoring that even Mourinho has Shaw take corners and they were just as good then as they were last week. I don’t get the desperation to attribute his good play to Telles or other players and the refusal to just acknowledge that he’s the one doing it.

Ot perhaps it’s just based on what I see when I watch the game. It’s fine to have different opinions, but for me at least it’s got nothing to do with assists. Although clearly that’s a bonus.

elmo

People think he’s upped his game because they continuously blindly ignore every game he does well in. Just look at his thread after every good game and there is without a doubt always several posts about him “upping his game” and “best game in ages.” It completely ignores that the exact same things were said after the previous match and the ones before that.

He was fantastic after the lockdown return. Was praised as his best football since his leg break. A couple months later and it’s completely forgotten and now this is his best football after the leg break. Next week the City match will be forgotten and it’ll be his best game in years yet again.

A few weeks ago a poster claimed he never entered the opposition half despite his average position being in the opposition half and in line with Mason Greenwood. People refuse to deal with facts when it comes to Luke Shaw. Every good performance is immediately forgotten to never be spoken about again.

He also has a phenomenon of people desperately trying to attribute any of his positives to other players. Like the non-sense about competition from Williams making him better. He was our fans player of the year and our players’ player of the year the season before Williams was even promoted. So how did Williams improve him?

It is the same again now. He was already player of the year, then apparently massively improved because of Williams and now Telles is apparently making him massively improve as well. But then at the same time still isn’t good enough apparently.

People go as far as to claim Telles apparently teaches him at training how to cross the ball. Once again completely ignoring that even Mourinho has Shaw take corners and they were just as good then as they were last week. I don’t get the desperation to attribute his good play to Telles or other players and the refusal to just acknowledge that he’s the one doing it.
I've always felt that Shaw was our best performing defender ever since Ole took over and his improvement in attacking is only because our strikers are actually moving into the box making them viable targets for him to start crossing to.

That and the fact that he's suddenly one of our corner and freekick takers have made people feel that he's suddenly kicked up a notch in terms of his attacking game when in reality he didn't really change up his game.

He's basically a player that averages 7.5 out of 10 in the majority of his games and will always have a 3/10 performance in him once in a while that makes everyone think that he's the worst player on our team.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Shaw is better defensively while Telles is better going forward. If it's up to me I'd start Telles against the lesser teams and start Shaw for the big games (along with a bit of rotation to keep Shaw fresh). Great options to have both of them. I'm also surprised Southgate hasn't taken notice of Shaw because as far as I'm concerned he's the best LB England has. But seeing as he's made of glass, I'm also kind of happy to keep him away from international duty...

elmo

Shaw is better defensively while Telles is better going forward. If it's up to me I'd start Telles against the lesser teams and start Shaw for the big games (along with a bit of rotation to keep Shaw fresh). Great options to have both of them. I'm also surprised Southgate hasn't taken notice of Shaw because as far as I'm concerned he's the best LB England has. But seeing as he's made of glass, I'm also kind of happy to keep him away from international duty...
Southgate play favourites just like Ole does, if you're not in his good books, don't expect to be called up.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Southgate play favourites just like Ole does, if you're not in his good books, don't expect to be called up.
But who is his favourite at LB? It's not like England has a bunch of them like they do with RBs. Chilliwell and Bertrand? Young and Rice aren't about to get a call anymore...

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
He's never in position and he's lazy chasing back.
:lol: What rubbish. Shaw gets called fatty and overweight but he’s pretty damned fast and I very rarely see him being lazy. Never in position? Never at all? Come on, Shaws defensive play on the whole is very good. He makes important blocks all the time and can chase most players down when needed.

He is the best LB at the club currently, whether Telles can overtake him remains to be seen but there aren’t many better LB’s in the premier league that’s for sure.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Southgate plays him at left back.
He doesn't "play" him at LB. He "played" him there twice during games where we didn't have a recognized LB a few months back. That was a time when both Shaw and Chilliwell were injured. Not sure about Bertrand. Either way, it will be interesting to see if he decides to call up Shaw. He is by far the best LB in England...

OldTrevil

I hope we see the marauding Shaw tonight, he provides a key dimension to our attack when he gets it right offensively

Adam-Utd

I hope we see the marauding Shaw tonight, he provides a key dimension to our attack when he gets it right offensively
Think he will play Telles tonight as we have Leeds 2 days after, and defensively we need Shaw against Raphinha.

Tonight we could do with Telles offensive skills but not so worried about him defensively.

elmo

He doesn't "play" him at LB. He "played" him there twice during games where we didn't have a recognized LB a few months back. That was a time when both Shaw and Chilliwell were injured. Not sure about Bertrand. Either way, it will be interesting to see if he decides to call up Shaw. He is by far the best LB in England...
The fact that he rather play someone out of position than to call up someone new says it all.

Hope Southgate continues not calling Shaw up, we don't need him out injured.

OldTrevil

Think he will play Telles tonight as we have Leeds 2 days after, and defensively we need Shaw against Raphinha.

Tonight we could do with Telles offensive skills but not so worried about him defensively.
I'd rather he started and got himself in rhythm for Sunday, given we'll most likely be camped in Sheff Utd's half, I don't see the LB getting worked that much physically. I would look to build his confidence in this game, and that goes for all our other key attacking players, and then sub off whoever needs it once we are comfortably ahead. Telles hasn't impressed me so far, other than a good cross here and there. We'll see how Ole does it soon enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.