Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
For the most of this season I've toyed with the idea of Shaw as the captain.

I'm not sure how much influence he has over the rest but he's been hear as long as any one bar De Gea, is quite dependable, and is English as well which might make him less likely to leave for any other big club.
Why disrupt the flow ? The man is playing his best football ever with Maguire to his side as a captain, I'd say don't touch anything because if he is made skipper then it might too much pressure on him and also Maguire could be affected. Shaw only needs a consistent partner on the LW.

Andersons Dietician

His finishing is crap, but that's literally all I can think of if you asked me what he was bad at. And, given that he's a fullback, it's as far from a concern as can be. Absurdly good this season.
Ole has apparently said he’s the best finisher in the club. Would agree with what @NinjaFletch was saying in that it’s more he’s just reluctant to take shots on. On the odd occasion he has taken a shot he hits a ball so cleanly and with so much power if he was taking more shots wouldn’t bother me. On the odd occasion he takes on a volley in and around the box the technique and control is there. Just think since he comes off the left as well as coming inside his options for a finish are limited without using his right.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Been trying to recall such a massive turnaround of fortune for a United player in a single season, not just on this thread but in actual performance. Who was similar to Shaw in this regard?
Fred and Lindelof probably had a similar level of improvement after each of their first seasons, but they went from actually shit to fairly good. Shaw obviously started from a higher level and is similarly far ahead now.

Brightonian

For the most of this season I've toyed with the idea of Shaw as the captain.

I'm not sure how much influence he has over the rest but he's been hear as long as any one bar De Gea, is quite dependable, and is English as well which might make him less likely to leave for any other big club.
He's famously not very bright, is noticeably quiet on the pitch and has a temper on him. You don't make someone captain just because they're your best player.

To be honest the captaincy is meaningless anyway. Anyone can lead on the pitch, the armband doesn't make a difference; look at Bruno. All the captain is for is occasionally promising the ref he'll tell his team to calm down.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Fred and Lindelof probably had a similar level of improvement after each of their first seasons, but they went from actually shit to fairly good. Shaw obviously started from a higher level and is similarly far ahead now.
Inside the same year though?

Raven

I'm getting pretty sick of this whole turnaround talk, he's been consistently one of our best players for almost 3 years. Yes, he's improved but there has been no turnaround.

Lewnited

I love how honest he is in interviews :lol: Really shows how critical he is of himself and the rest of the team - not a surprise he just continues to improve.

Idxomer

Looked great at the start of the game but felt after that he didn't find the energy to keep going and was visibly tired.

MetoTTT

I'm a massive fan and was confident for him for years. But was an off game today, covered 3 offsides and one was given but wasn't.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Loving the consistency. Becoming a solid shout for captain. I'd have him ahead of maguire personally.

Maureen-yo

Loving the consistency. Becoming a solid shout for captain. I'd have him ahead of maguire personally.
He’s too quiet (vocals wise) on the pitch and he’s not exactly the best in front of the camera either is he, all of his post match interviews are rather awkward.

Maureen-yo

He was still very good, some crucial defensive interventions and unreal technique on display.
His touch to take the ball under control on the run and break their back line from a long cross field pass was brilliant. He makes that control look easy at times.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
why is it when we have a player playing well, the reaction of some fans it to want to install them as captain. Same thing with Bruno.

very strange.
I can't speak for anyone else but for me I feel like maguire is underserving of the armband so it's something that should be up for grabs. Shaw, Bruno, Pogba and Rashford all have a better case and are to my knowledge the only players in the make captain discussion.

drdoityourself

How he has mastered the first touch is just wonderful to watch. He has become so dependable, fantastic player.

I can't speak for anyone else but for me I feel like maguire is underserving of the armband so it's something that should be up for grabs. Shaw, Bruno, Pogba and Rashford all have a better case and are to my knowledge the only players in the make captain discussion.
i see no reason to take an armband off of a player who is the first name on the team sheet along with Bruno, and who is playing very well, and bar a few weeks has done do throughout his time here.

when does a player performing well ever get stripped of the captaincy?

and let’s be bloody frank - Pogba! Are you taking the proper piss!

Maureen-yo

Best left back in the PL by a distance, I don’t see anyone close to him.
Andy Robertson is up there as much as I hate to say it and Lucas Digne is a shout too.
however I think there’s still more to come from Luke, this is his most consistent season in terms of staying fit since his leg break so I feel he’s still getting that confidence and swagger back.

dogwithabone

Andy Robertson is up there as much as I hate to say it and Lucas Digne is a shout too.
however I think there’s still more to come from Luke, this is his most consistent season in terms of staying fit since his leg break so I feel he’s still getting that confidence and swagger back.
You‘re surely not serious ? I wouldn’t put Robertson in the top ten left backs in the PL this season. Last season he was head and shoulders above the rest but he’s nowhere near Shaw this season, nowhere near.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
i see no reason to take an armband off of a player who is the first name on the team sheet along with Bruno, and who is playing very well, and bar a few weeks has done do throughout his time here.

when does a player performing well ever get stripped of the captaincy?

and let’s be bloody frank - Pogba! Are you taking the proper piss!
Very well is a stretch. Just go back and look at the comments in this thread after some of his games. The defense has had a good month but lets not get carried away. And yes as long as ole is manager maguire will probably stay captain but like i said, i disagree with his decision.

As for pogba he is the alpha in that dressing room whether you like it or not. He is the most talented, most popular, most accomplished etc. When people play us they want Pogbas shirt first like Zlatan did today.

Very well is a stretch. Just go back and look at the comments in this thread after some of his games. The defense has had a good month but lets not get carried away. And yes as long as ole is manager maguire will probably stay captain but like i said, i disagree with his decision.

As for pogba he is the alpha in that dressing room whether you like it or not. He is the most talented, most popular, most accomplished etc. When people play us they want Pogbas shirt first like Zlatan did today.
for a start, we all know there’s a lot of posters who don’t like Maguire, so I would never use this thread as evidence of how good/ bad Maguire is.

Pogba is not, and will never be captain material. Doesn’t matter how talented he is. He’s a player I want in the team, but he’s in no way suited to being captain.

Brightonian

Not this season. They've both been fantastic but they've also both had a scattering of really poor games. I'm not sure Shaw has drifted below a 7/10 once since the Spurs game, and mostly he's been at 9.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
for a start, we all know there’s a lot of posters who don’t like Maguire, so I would never use this thread as evidence of how good/ bad Maguire is.

Pogba is not, and will never be captain material. Doesn’t matter how talented he is. He’s a player I want in the team, but he’s in no way suited to being captain.
Go look up his team talk before the world cup final. He is trusted by the best players in the world and is THE alpha in a room of alphas. That's what Keane, Cantona, Gerrard,Terry, Vidic the great captains are. Agree to disagree

kundalini

Did well to cut out a dangerous cross, key pass for Fernandes' off-target shot in the first half but too many poor moments.

Go look up his team talk before the world cup final. He is trusted by the best players in the world and is THE alpha in a room of alphas. That's what Keane, Cantona, Gerrard,Terry, Vidic the great captains are. Agree to disagree
you have a singular definition of what you think a captain should be, which is being an ALPHA.

the players you named showed great leadership on and off the pitch for their clubs. Pogba will never be part of that group.

Brightonian

Curious to hear from everyone arguing about the captaincy if you think the captaincy actually matters on the pitch. I've seen no evidence of it whatsoever. You're just the guy who occasionally says 'yes ref I'll tell him to calm down'. Leaders lead with or without an armband, and you see that in every single football match.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
you have a singular definition of what you think a captain should be, which is being an ALPHA.

the players you named showed great leadership on and off the pitch for their clubs. Pogba will never be part of that group.
Terry- fecked a teammates missus, racist stuff
Gerrard- punched some dj in a club

You and me have different definitions of leadership off the pitch.

Status
Not open for further replies.