g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Luke Shaw image 23

Luke Shaw England flag

2020-21 Performances

View full 2020-21 profile

6.3 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

El Jefe

Shaw has a great partnership with most players he plays with. Him and Rashford have an excellent understanding as did him and Pogba towards the end of the season. Shaw and Sancho will be even better IMO if Ole uses it consistently.

Idxomer

Sterling was hogging the ball too much in the game which lessened Shaw's influence before the Grealish sub.

Eternitiy

Yeah, that's an incredibly giddy take. :lol:

As great as he's been for the last year, he'd have a long, long way to go to pass Marcelo, let alone Maldini.
He's only 25 and I said he has the talent to be the best ever, not that he's there now. I don't think it's a ridiculous claim.

He literally has zero weaknesses. He is perfect technically, his first touch is one of the best I've ever seen. He is a physical monster, strong and fast. His passing and crossing is brilliant, and continues to improve all the time. And he is absolutely elite with all of the relevant metrics for a fullback, and his chance creation is unreal considering the position he plays. It frightens me how good he is, and that he can still get even better.

Seriously, look at his heatmap for the match against Germany:

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
He's only 25? Feels like he's been here for ages (which he has). What a great decision to keep him after all and not sell him, LB is least of our worries.

CG1010

I mean Rashford like never passes to him so he is pretty used to it. Amount of times he’s been in a similar position to today when Grealish fed him and Rashford ignores him to go inside try and take on 3 players then smash it as hard as he can at the player standing infront of him.
Bullshit. If anything Rashford has stopped being direct and trying to take players on, and tries to be a playmaker all the time. His linkup play with Shaw has led to several opportunities and goals for us.

TrustInOle

Played a massive part in both goals and combining well with Grealish! Should be first choice from now on when fit.

Baneofthegame

Thought he was great in the 2nd half, great assist and then the interception and pass to Grealish leading to Kane’s goal.

Jenas wanted him subbed early 2nd half as well.

meamth

My boy stole the ball from Gnabry and single handedly created the 2nd goal.

Luke Shaw future Ballon D'or.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
He's only 25 and I said he has the talent to be the best ever, not that he's there now. I don't think it's a ridiculous claim.

He literally has zero weaknesses. He is perfect technically, his first touch is one of the best I've ever seen. He is a physical monster, strong and fast. His passing and crossing is brilliant, and continues to improve all the time. And he is absolutely elite with all of the relevant metrics for a fullback, and his chance creation is unreal considering the position he plays. It frightens me how good he is, and that he can still get even better.

Seriously, look at his heatmap for the match against Germany:
His one obvious weakness is his right foot and his unwillingness to use it even for basic passes sometimes. That and his positioning and challenging for headers at the back post. He's been one of the best left backs in the world this past year though and long may that continue.

Last edited:

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Bullshit. If anything Rashford has stopped being direct and trying to take players on, and tries to be a playmaker all the time. His linkup play with Shaw has led to several opportunities and goals for us.
Yeah after the restart, Rashford played Shaw plenty of times. In most cases, it won't end up with the goal so people don't remember that. Also not every overlapping run will end up with attacker passing the ball, if that's the case it's easier to defend. It's always the case with any combination, players make runs, dummy runs to drag defenders.

They have added few basic passes too (which sort of spoils the video), we have seen Rashford playing those slipping passes many times.

Also UtdArena plotted those incisive passes and all of them after restart and it was till October only (So it's just 2-3 months data). Not all of them to Shaw

Anyways Shaw makes it easier for the player playing on that side, Shaw combined well with Martial too.

EngimaMK

I don't think you can take any notice of those things mate, most of them come down to the opinion of whoever wrote them.

On Sky they gave him a 6. They gave Grealish an 8, because he provided the pass for Shaw's assist and the cross for Kane's goal.

When you consider Shaw provided the cross for Sterling's goal and the pass for Grealish's assist, then this disparity in the ratings really makes no sense at all.

Some players will just never get the credit they deserve.
That's fecking ridiculous. Really one of the best players on the pitch

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I don't think you can take any notice of those things mate, most of them come down to the opinion of whoever wrote them.

On Sky they gave him a 6. They gave Grealish an 8, because he provided the pass for Shaw's assist and the cross for Kane's goal.

When you consider Shaw provided the cross for Sterling's goal and the pass for Grealish's assist, then this disparity in the ratings really makes no sense at all.

Some players will just never get the credit they deserve.
Grealish was 8 and Shaw was 6? Hopefully the guy who did the rating will watch the game next time.

gajender

Absolute class and genuinely one of the United's player who should be in conversation for best in his position going forward barring Injuries.

CG1010

Yeah after the restart, Rashford played Shaw plenty of times. In most cases, it won't end up with the goal so people don't remember that. Also not every overlapping run will end up with attacker passing the ball, if that's the case it's easier to defend. It's always the case with any combination, players make runs, dummy runs to drag defenders.

They have added few basic passes too (which sort of spoils the video), we have seen Rashford playing those slipping passes many times.

Also UtdArena plotted those incisive passes and all of them after restart and it was till October only (So it's just 2-3 months data). Not all of them to Shaw

Anyways Shaw makes it easier for the player playing on that side, Shaw combined well with Martial too.

Totally, Shaw makes very good runs, and very good passes also. It helps with whoever links up with them.

Andersons Dietician

We must watch a completely different game. I’m not going to pretend like Rashford didn’t improve slightly in this aspect but more often than not when quite clearly Shaw is his better option he would ignore it for the glory himself. Most often he’ll pass to Shaw when the move or time to play it has passed.

Personally Martials link up with Shaw to me is far superior on that side and especially when Pogba is over there as well. It’s one thing Rashford in my eyes needs to drastically improve.

Last edited:

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
Was it only a season ago that Williams was the far better LB? I have to admit though. It is nice to come onto a thread where everyone is in agreement that Shaw is the best in the PL. The only thread on the whole forum where there's no argument. Go caf.

Raven

Was it only a season ago that Williams was the far better LB? I have to admit though. It is nice to come onto a thread where everyone is in agreement that Shaw is the best in the PL. The only thread on the whole forum where there's no argument. Go caf.
Williams has never been better than Shaw.

arnie_ni

No. He was hyped as the better player by people that have an irrational hatred of Shaw.

romufc

He's been on of England's best player in the tournament. Every time he's played, he's making the forward runs and getting the ball in the box, amazing outlet on the left.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
Williams has never been better than Shaw.
Sorry. My sarcasm barometer needs tweaking. According to many on here the 2019/20 season that was just the case which just goes to show agendas that people have.
No. He was hyped as the better player by people that have an irrational hatred of Shaw.
Completely agree. The crazy world of the caf.

GusHyd

Supports
Southampton
One of the best on the pitch last night. Assisted the first, drove England forward for the 2nd.

Brilliant, brilliant player.
I think an important thing people are forgetting is England had a player down injured too, Declan Rice had cramp and was struggling to get to his feet. Shaw could have easily put the ball out of play instead he had the game intelligence to realise it was 4 on 4, and he chose the better path to take down the left wing leading to the goal. All in all a great performance.

Black Adder

Rarer than an eclipse.
Pretty sure only Class of 63 thought this and he’s now banned. There has never been any moment where Williams was a better LB than Shaw. Hence why as soon as Shaw was fit he took Williams place.
Awful poster, was always waiting for a chance to take dump on Shaw no matter how he played. But he wasn't only one, first few pages of this thread show people seriously doubting Shaw and expecting Telles to bench him.

Devil81

Going to put it out there, technically with the ball at his feet I think he's the best left back currently on the planet. Hardly puts a foot wrong in the passing sense and is brilliant at short one touch football.

He also uses his physically shape to his advantage as well by using his body as a shield a fair bit.

What stops him being spoken of in a higher sense his fitness levels, they've improved an awful lot to be fair but I still look at him and think he can be fitter.

Mcking

His one obvious weakness is his right foot and his unwillingness to use it even for basic passes sometimes. That and his positioning and challenging for headers at the back post. He's been one of the best left backs in the world this past year though and long may that continue.
I actually think he defends the back post really well.

carpy

Puff the magic dragon
I just dropped by to let you all know that Sky Sports gave him 6/10 in the player ratings on their website.

Devil may care

Pleased to see him doing well for England, assist for Sterling and key pass in the 2nd goal, taking his United form to an international tournament, his composure and use of the ball is world class.

TheBreadTruck

How frustrating was it seeing Sterling refuse to pass/use him as an option, thought there might be an issue between them but he did the same thing with Trippier when he was moved to the right.

He came to life attacking wise with the formation change, was solid defensively before that at least.

Bondi77

I just dropped by to let you all know that Sky Sports gave him 6/10 in the player ratings on their website.
Probably no one there even watched the game as they are too busy with b/s transfer gossip.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He could do a Kimmich and play in midfield with ease.
His right foot isn't the best, that'd probably be his only major weakness.

Still, his best traits are his ability to carry the ball in-field and be so pivotal in the build-up in the middle third. Traits that make him such a good LB.

Maybe in another life under Guardiola he'd have got the move-to-central midfield treatment.

Stacks

The kid is something else. These last 12 months damn! set up the first, drove at Germany and popped it out to Grealish for the 2nd. You forget he is suppose to be a defender

Status
Not open for further replies.