Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Smalling

It's nice to see Shaw doing well again. I actually think he's quite underrated in terms of talent, criticise his mentality and application all you like but his technical ability is really good. Great first touch and ability to progress the ball.
He’s very good technically, for sure. Also, has a pretty good cross from deep. His assist yesterday reminded me of the one he placed on Ronaldo’s forehead for the winner against Atalanta last year. If only we had more qualified headers of the ball.

OrcaFat

Nobody actually thinks he’s shit, do they? But his application has had every right to be questioned. I’ve been one of his staunchest supporters, but I was at the end of my tether with him earlier in the season - he has no excuse to not be this level of player all the time. He’s one of few of the old boys who has the ability and talent to be here and permanent starter and lock for his position.
Some people really don’t rate him. At least they take that stance when he is on a poor run and they come out with claims that he has been awful apart from one good season. Plenty of comments like that in this thread.

marktan

I still think last season was due to getting no break from the euros. All the English players from the euros squad looked crap. Some like Rashford are starting to come back into form.

Playing 40 games, then a deep euros run, and the new season 2 weeks later has to take a toll on the body. And the season prior also had a shorter break due to covid.

El Jefe

Let's hope this continues. We know that when he enters a period of form he can keep it going for a long time.

Technically he's excellent its just annoying that he constantly needs a fire lighted under him.

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
He looks visibility slimmer.

It’s weird, his head almost looks to big for his body, like one of those bobble-head things.

Devil81

ETH has clearly had issue with his body shape, its not a coincidence he was out of the team and then back in once he was visibly fitter.

This is another case of fantastic management from ETH, no other manager has got through to Shaw like this before.

MUFC OK

He’s playing fantastically well. Really hope it continues because he’s a brilliant asset when on form.

Elcabron

I've really enjoyed his performances the last few games. He's physically very strong, has a great touch and has a nice maturity about his game now.

Some nice shit housing from him yesterday as well when there was a throw in for Chelsea and he bundled the Chelsea player out of the way to stop the quick throw in....nice.

Dominos

Some nice shit housing from him yesterday as well when there was a throw in for Chelsea and he bundled the Chelsea player out of the way to stop the quick throw in....nice.
It wouldn't be if the ref had given him a yellow, which most refs probably would.

Swedish_Plumber

ETH has clearly had issue with his body shape, its not a coincidence he was out of the team and then back in once he was visibly fitter.

This is another case of fantastic management from ETH, no other manager has got through to Shaw like this before.
I’m no Ole fanatic but he was player of the season under him, so another manager has got him playing like this and for longer too.

It’s down to Shaw. He’s got the talent and always has, just motivation and some terrible injuries that’s meant inconsistency.

kps88

He had a good run of form after we signed Telles as well if I remember correctly. The guy just occasionally needs a kick up the backside.

OrcaFat

He had a good run of form after we signed Telles as well if I remember correctly. The guy just occasionally needs a kick up the backside.
Yeah. From time to time he has issues with fitness and form. Proper competition for his place seems to motivate him. I’d expect that (similar is probably true of most players on some level) and it was smart to bring Malacia in. ETH knows what he’s doing, I’m sure.

dpansheth

I am very happy to see him playing a bit better. Although he's still not on the same wavelength. Few good moments from him but he still not "ingrained" into ETH model yet. See Dalot, Antony etc in terms of their understanding of the situation, tactical & technical approach.
I dont like the fact that we have to sign someone, train the new guy & play with him for a few months till Shaw decides to show up, every few years. I still believe we should sell him.

Chairman Steve

He’s playing well again but I worry that this is another purple patch period for him and cynically I’m waiting for when it ends and he returns to being a liability, like getting easily turned by forwards and playing opposition onside.

Marwood

For his crossing ability, he doesnt cross enough for me.
Agree.

But I think Luke can only put that quality of delivery in from that kind of angle.

He's not one who can swing a good ball in from anywhere like TAA or Beckham.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
If he ever needed to play midfield in an emergency I think he'd be pretty good.

Skills

Snitch
Did you see his pass for England recently? I think he can do a lot more than he’s showing.
He's efficient. He was taught football the right way, so he's always looking to make the best play in a situation rather than get caught up in the emotion and just keep peppering the box with crosses or shots.

You'll rarely ever see Shaw influenced by the crowd unlike someone like a Bruno or even Dalot, who if asked to by the crowd will always shoot.

Marwood

Did you see his pass for England recently? I think he can do a lot more than he’s showing.
I did but I've also watched the last 8 years of his career. If he could do a lot more we'd be seeing it.

That's not to say I don't think he's really talented. He is.

I just consider brilliant crossers of the ball to be those who can swing it in with quality from all angles. For that you need agility and flexibility. Have to be able to wrap your leg around it. Luke's a stocky lad obviously and doesn't have that.

If you look at most of his crosses that result in an assist, they're from the position he was in against Chelsea. With time and from that kind of position he can put a good ball in.

Posh Red

I did but I've also watched the last 8 years of his career. If he could do a lot more we'd be seeing it.

That's not to say I don't think he's really talented. He is.

I just consider brilliant crossers of the ball to be those who can swing it in with quality from all angles. For that you need agility and flexibility. Have to be able to wrap your leg around it. Luke's a stocky lad obviously and doesn't have that.

If you look at most of his crosses that result in an assist, they're from the position he was in against Chelsea. With time and from that kind of position he can put a good ball in.
Fair enough points, although I’m not sure on the ‘eight years’ comment. This squad has been so badly mismanaged for years. Even Dalot is a decent player apparently, we just didn’t know it :lol:

Marwood

Fair enough points, although I’m not sure on the ‘eight years’ comment. This squad has been so badly mismanaged for years. Even Dalot is a decent player apparently, we just didn’t know it :lol:
Even with mismanagement I think a player over that period of time still shows his level.

He was awesome against Chelsea though.

I think overall it suits us better if Dalot is the fullback that gets forward more with Shaw sitting back a touch. Antony needs his right back racing up the outside. Rashford/Sancho not so much. Think Dalot has a better engine as well.

lex talionis

Luke has a decent shot in his boots -- well, left boot -- but he takes those shots from 3-4 yards outside his range. If he can resist the urge to shoot until he's on the edge of the box he'd beat the keeper now and then.

OrcaFat

I am very happy to see him playing a bit better. Although he's still not on the same wavelength. Few good moments from him but he still not "ingrained" into ETH model yet. See Dalot, Antony etc in terms of their understanding of the situation, tactical & technical approach.
I dont like the fact that we have to sign someone, train the new guy & play with him for a few months till Shaw decides to show up, every few years. I still believe we should sell him.
Sounds like you’re saying there shouldn’t be proper competition for his place. We should have two players in every position who are capable of sustaining a challenge for selection.

In an ideal world Shaw would consistently produce his best form but he doesn’t. Same as most players, his form fluctuates. This is a reality affecting nearly every player, don’t you think? One thing that helps keep players near their optimum is knowing that there is a guy of equal ability waiting to take their place.Telles wasn’t good enough to do that for Shaw; Malacia might be.

A fair question is whether Shaw’s dips in form are worse than the average player. I think some people would say “yes” to that but the thing is that Shaw has normally kept his place when in poor form because the squad options haven’t been good enough to step in. So his worst form has probably been on show more often than it should be. It’s annoying but with competition (and inspiring coaching) it may get better going forward.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
It's no surprise that with a in form Luke Shaw, we just play better.

He literally carried the team under Ole. When he got injured then his form fell off, it turned to shit.

His ability to place in tight spaces, accelerate out of them into space or find a killer pass is really unmatched.

I think people forget he needed surgery to remove the bar in his leg that was causing him discomfort. I often wonder just how good he could have been if his leg didn't get broken.

OrcaFat

It's no surprise that with a in form Luke Shaw, we just play better.

He literally carried the team under Ole. When he got injured then his form fell off, it turned to shit.

His ability to place in tight spaces, accelerate out of them into space or find a killer pass is really unmatched.

I think people forget he needed surgery to remove the bar in his leg that was causing him discomfort. I often wonder just how good he could have been if his leg didn't get broken.
Yeah the injury was surely a factor. I forget about that myself sometimes.

If he has a lucky run with injuries I think he still has time to get close to where he might have been, given the right, injury-free circumstances. He looks pretty mobile just now.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
He is still far too casual. That's my main gripe with him. If he could play his own game at a quicker tempo, he would actually set the tempo, instead of slowing everything down just to act like a playmaker. I mean, it's good to be calm at times but he is one of those players washing his hands of a mistake too quickly. He needs to realise his mistake if his pass led to someone else losing the ball, it wasn't perfect. He needs to think quicker and chose better options in build up, and he has the ability to move up the pitch if he doesn't find anyone. He needs to move with purpose and open up his body.

If he does learn to this before it's too late, he can still become a great FB, contributing the way he should. If he doesn't, he'll always be stuck in the average lane.

criticalanalysis

He is still far too casual. That's my main gripe with him. If he could play his own game at a quicker tempo, he would actually set the tempo, instead of slowing everything down just to act like a playmaker. I mean, it's good to be calm at times but he is one of those players washing his hands of a mistake too quickly. He needs to realise his mistake if his pass led to someone else losing the ball, it wasn't perfect. He needs to think quicker and chose better options in build up, and he has the ability to move up the pitch if he doesn't find anyone. He needs to move with purpose and open up his body.

If he does learn to this before it's too late, he can still become a great FB, contributing the way he should. If he doesn't, he'll always be stuck in the average lane.
Agree, it seems 'harsh' to criticise him after some very excellent games but I've always said this about him too.

He is often on his heels too much and doesn't run with the ball into space fast enough (which leads to the opposition coming across and blocking his passing options) and/or he gives passes that are often awkward to control or deal with e.g he usually plays it with the laces/toe of his boot. For example he will take a second or two too long, which leaves him with only the option of passing it down the byline/a long ball forward as his central option (back to the CBs) are cut off. He will then play a pass to someone like Sancho, who already has a player breathing down his neck and in a vulnerable part of the pitch where he can't open his body up or use the pitch to his advantage; granted Sancho should be doing better but the whole phase is already at a disadvantage.

I understand with controlling the tempo especially as ETH has our full backs coming into the midfield but Shaw does have some strange tendencies to overthink or dally on it.

It may be nitpicking but he would be truly elite if he could cut out those instances, especially as they are things, which are really easy to deal with.

MDFC Manager

Infuriating fecker. Easily amongst the most talented players in the squad, can make football look so effortless, yet such a waster.

Status
Not open for further replies.