Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Need to take him off from throw-in duty. It's like giving out the ball to opponent.

AFC NimbleThumb

The amount of safe passes he opts for really grinds on me. There was a moment in the 2 me half where VdB broke through on the left & whilst the pass wasn’t exactly easy there was a window of a few seconds where he could have tried to pass it, he then played it back to Martinez.

I don’t expect him to be Fernandes at LB but he just plays so conservatively at times.

El Jefe

Something that goes unmentioned is Shaw is actually a shite defender. He's really good in possession and progressing the ball but I can't remember the last time he shut out a winger he came up against.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Thought he was one of our better players today along with Casemiro... A big reason we came back into the game after we went 2-0,and not just for the goal.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Something that goes unmentioned is Shaw is actually a shite defender. He's really good in possession and progressing the ball but I can't remember the last time he shut out a winger he came up against.
Don't see what wrong he did today to be honest. Had to commit the foul for the Digne free kick after Martinez messed up and most of Bailey's dangerous moments came when he was running through the middle rather than Shaw's side. He does have games where he's poor defensively but don't think that was the case today.

Rossa

You are absolutely right. He's been good of late, but today he reverted back to good old Shaw. He completely lacked any sort of intensity, both with the ball and without. He was good in possession, but he constantly let runners in behind him, forcing Martinez to cover for him time and time again.

I am also worried at how often he loses those foot runs. Leon Bailey is very, very fast, but he was eclipsed in one of their foot races. Martinez struggling was to be expected, but I was hoping Shaw would give him more a run for his money. Sometimes I think it's just him not bothered to go flat out.

Combine his terrible positioning in defence without the ability to win those foot races, he's in trouble defensively quite often.

Sylar

One thing I notice with him is he goes out to a player but never makes a big effort to stop a cross coming in. It's like he's been told it's a position he needs to be but doesn't know what to do once there. it's weird especially when we have a keeper that doesn't claim crosses

Frank Grimes

He played the best I've seen him probably ever a few games ago. Then he forgets everything he learned last few games.

Also he looked a lot leaner a weeks ago. Its like he put on a stone between matches. Annoying.

Still a decent season so far but we need better.

Fulham 1:2 Man Utd

Ekeke

Stopped tracking his man back for James' goal. The ball came in between Lisandro and Shaw, Lisandro might have been able to bail him out and cut out the cross and he didnt. Also played some nice passes in behind the defence

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
All our attacks are built around him. Couple of absolutely fantastic curved passes to put Martial and Rashford on goal and 2 absolute fantastic crosses right on McT and Martial's head which they squandered. Should have done better for the goal we conceded though, but his importance to our build up play can't be understated.

acnumber9

Always has first row seats for every goal we concede. Time after time he’s standing watching somebody run in for a tap in at the far post. He’s lazy.

Idxomer

He played some really good passes and crosses but was a problem defensively.

youngrell

Always has first row seats for every goal we concede. Time after time he’s standing watching somebody run in for a tap in at the far post. He’s lazy.
It was particularly annoying today as he made the recovery run and then eased up at the vital moment.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Waits 20 seconds before each throw in. That is symptomatic because he waits that amount of time to display calm and "control" the outcome, however what tends to happen is everyone from the other team has used that time to position themselves correctly, which makes his options terrible, which becomes the reason we lose every throw in down his side. He also does this on the ball, everywhere on the pitch, he takes his time standing still, instead of moving with purpose into space to position himself. If you notice his movement, after getting the ball he doesn't really move after making the pass either. Even offensively, he faints a run, stops to turn backwards and wonder why he has no options.

He has good pace, decent cross, strong, decent technique for a defender and a decent pass. He can protect the ball well etc. He can do all these things but he doesn't use his abilities enough, because he'll rather stand still, catching his breath. Such an annoying player and a honestly a disappointment to me. If he would improve these things tomorrow, which is a stylistic choice in the end, I would forgive his other weaknesses like being a bit lazy and switching off at times.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
It was particularly annoying today as he made the recovery run and then eased up at the vital moment.
This is something most players from the 2020 team still do, but it has generally gotten better. In particular Shaw, Rashford, Lindelof do press and do make the run but it's like it's out of spite, always a little to late or they stop the press when they reach the destination. It's rather pointless.

youngrell

This is something most players from the 2020 team still do, but it has generally gotten better. In particular Shaw, Rashford, Lindelof do press and do make the run but it's like it's out of spite, always a little to late or they stop the press when they reach the destination. It's rather pointless.
Yeah there has definitely been an improvement overall, like you say, previously the pressing has almost been like a token gesture rather than any commitment or conviction in it.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Genuinely baffling, not the first time he's done it either. Simply needs to stay in front of James and we don't concede.

SAFMUTD

Alexander Arnoldesque the way he let Daniel James run in to position. Like he disconnected in the last moment.

He also delivered a really good cross to Martial who should have ended up In a goal.

Swiss_Red89

I think he's hitting Shawberto form just at the right time. I think he will be brilliant for England in Qatar.

hsbajwa316

Not sure what people see in him, no where near as dynamic as he was pre injury in Holland and hope im wrong, but cant see him ever breaking a sweat now

Dve

4 assists and 1 goal in his last 5 England games.
His crossers have been excellent of late, not only for England, but for United as well. Happy to see him finding his feet again. And he looks a bit lighter and fitter, doesn't he?

Cantonalegod

His crossers have been excellent of late, not only for England, but for United as well. Happy to see him finding his feet again. And he looks a bit lighter and fitter, doesn't he?
Gets loads of stick on here, but always seems to see off the competition for his position.

Must be doing something right.

Overall for England 3 goals, 9 assists, 24 caps.

Does he switch off sometimes, yes.

Is he like a tank driving forward, yes.

Is there a BETTER option available for a sensible price, no.

Is it a major area of concern for us, no.

We need a striker, urgently, and another top quality midfielder wouldn't go amiss!

SinNombre

He is back to being the world class Shaw, and in this form as was the case in the 2020-21 season, not many LBs who you would take above him if any. One of the few genuinely WC players England actually have.

Status
Not open for further replies.