Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lyng

Fantastic today. Our third best central defender. Which is insane given he is a left back. Such a complete footballer

Superunknown

Great performance from him tonight. Hats off to him for filling in in an unfamiliar position.

DavelinaJolie

Weird that defensive positioning is usually his weakness, but seemed to play well in the middle of defence.

BorisManUtd

Don't think he played as CB for us before (he did in a back 3 but not being one of 2 centrebacks). Played well anyways.

Abraxas

No reason he can't play this position. Especially in a back 3 I always thought he'd be very natural. In a 2 against top opponents it would of course be way more risky than tonight but he's got a lot of attributes for it.

El Zoido

Good performance today. He had a bit of a tendency to drop back in to that LB position, but reigned it in well. Wonder if Varane helped him maintain discipline with it.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Near everything I hate about Shaw at LB - I loved at CB. Not sure what to do with that information.

He has a bit more time on the ball to pick out passes and room in front to execute the passes he want. If he is to pretend to be a playmaker, I'd prefer him at CB. He usually plays it too safe at LB and dwells on the ball, I didn't have a problem with those qualities today, in fact it seemed to help him settle in very well. Star performance, read the game very well at CB. Impressed.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Near everything I hate about Shaw at LB - I loved at CB. Not sure what to do with that information.

He has a bit more time on the ball to pick out passes and room in front to execute the passes he want. If he is to pretend to be a playmaker, I'd prefer him at CB. He usually plays it too safe at LB and dwells on the ball, I didn't have a problem with those qualities today, in fact it seemed to help him settle in very well. Star performance, read the game very well at CB. Impressed.
Agreed, he just seemed like a composed CB. Albeit it’s a game that suited him where we didn’t have to defend too much and Casemiro did shield the defence fantastically.

In all honesty, I’d rather not find out his true level at CB and stick Martinez there as soon as possible.

RedDevilRoshi

Definitely something to consider much longer down the line when he’s near the end of his career. Strolled it at CB.

Still first choice LB for me just now. The competition with him & Malacia has been very healthy.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I'm more assure with Shaw as CB than Maguire and Lindelof :D . He's excellent.

Last edited:

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
It's always been obvious that he has the tools to be a good centre back, the question has been about whether he had the mentality and experience to do it.

If he can show he is a true option in the centre (Forest weren't exactly the most difficult of opponents) it's actually an important thing for our squad-building. It would allow us to only have the one back-up central defender, with Shaw acting as our other back-up and Malacia playing on the left.

meamth

That's why I think he was never considered to be sold or finished by the coaching team.

He is a proper, complete footballer.

Sylar

He played fantastic. Hopefully though we don't see it again so that we see him at lb soon and we have Martinez / varane partnership back again :)

3KDré

He's probably our best footballer.
Honestly, technique wise there really aren't many better. Beginning to love how composed this team is on the ball at times - Casemiro, Shaw, Martinez, Eriksen are all massive factors in that.

AndyMUFC

Great job at centre back tonight, was really composed on the ball throughout which is what we can lack when Martinez isn't playing at the back.

dabronxolivera

Supports
Al Hilal
He would be even better if he didnt get horrendously tackled by that dirty mexican psv player whose name I dont bother to google. It's clear why we spent so much for him back then.

Malone_Post

He’s an incredibly technically gifted footballer. The fact that he can slot in at centre back and look so at home is a testament to his natural ability. Doesn’t get the credit he deserves, probably because he’s a bit tubby looking & has become a bit of a meme amongst opposition fans. It’s a shame really because he’s absolutely brilliant. Just a lovely footballer to watch.

frookydinho

Always a big critic of Shaw, but I have to say he showed maturity tonight, love to see it

SWE-Chucky

Supports
AIK Stockholm
Felt more comfortable with him (Shaw as a CB) and Varane, then having Maguire out there.

Last edited:

Bondi77

Felt more comfortable with him (Shaw as a CB) and Varane, then having Maguire out there.

Maguire playing fot England is a completely different player, and he was once again picked in the team of the tournament and we should maybe use this opportunity to try to sell him now nno4i
The idea is to sell players when they are playing bad and get as much as you can...not when they are playing well

Status
Not open for further replies.