Maguire is no longer United captain

m1tch

So I wanted to say a massive thank you to the Manchester United fans for all their brilliant support whilst I’ve been wearing the armband.
I'm reading that as a sarcastic dig

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
It sounds to me like the club are trying to find a way to move him on in the most cost effective way with the stumbling block being his outstanding wages which he won’t get near anywhere else. He’s within his rights to expect United to cough up every penny of the difference and United are quite reasonably thinking that he would rather cut his losses rather than his career.

Chairman Steve

This is a powerplay to force Maguire to look elsewhere. I heard West Ham have come into some money recently :)

Cloud7

Any shout for Licha?

I'd follow him into battle, and I'm a coward.
He definitely has captain material, but making him captain would be going down the same path Ole did with the fridge, making him captain soon after joining. Licha would be a good captain post Bruno

Djemba-Djemba

He definitely has captain material, but making him captain would be going down the same path Ole did with the fridge, making him captain soon after joining. Licha would be a good captain post Bruno
Aye that's what I was thinking.

Bruno as captain then Martinez.

northernsoul74

He really doesn’t do himself any favours with this kind of shit. Let the club announce it and then do your statement if you must.
The club, rightly, would have given him the option I’d imagine. Pretty respectful allowing him to release the news as he sees fit. I’m glad I don’t work for half the posters on here.

Devil You Know

The captaincy isn't really important. Unless you want to credit Maguire with us getting 3rd and a trophy last season.

It's a ceremonial role represented by a piece of cloth. A hold-over from cricket where it actually means something.

Revaulx

Hopefully EtH kills the cult of captaincy some of you seem to experience as well.
I doubt even ETH will be capable of that, sadly.

Ashley Young was an ideal captain: long serving, popular with all factions in the dressing room, exemplary professional, vocal on the pitch. Yet people constantly moaned about him.

Melville Red

The captaincy isn't really important. Unless you want to credit Maguire with us getting 3rd and a trophy last season.

It's a ceremonial role represented by a piece of cloth. A hold-over from cricket where it actually means something.
You don’t remember Robbo or. Keane then? Other greats that went before them such as Bobby Charlton. A good captain is worth his weight in gold, he gets the team going by leading by example and other players look up to them and respect them, they are the managers mouthpiece on the pitch, well a good one is and that is something we have lacked for quite some time.

Earth Wind and McGuire

I don’t see another club giving him equal to the wage he’s on just now and I can’t see him dropping to 100k a week. I reckon we will have a Bale and Madrid situation here for the next 2 years.

Devil You Know

You don’t remember Robbo or. Keane then? Other greats that went before them such as Bobby Charlton. A good captain is worth his weight in gold, he gets the team going by leading by example and other players look up to them and respect them, they are the managers mouthpiece on the pitch, well a good one is and that is something we have lacked for quite some time.
Martinez, Bruno and Casemiro could all do that without being club captain.

If they'd been captain instead of Maguire, we wouldn't have performed any better last season.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
He's shit the bed a lot, and he's clearly not at the level required, but I don't have as much hate for him, or think he's as bad as he's looked, as some.

All that said, dropped as a first choice player, stripped of the captaincy, by a manager who clearly has no faith in him... even if just for personal pride, he'd surely look to get out as soon as possible now?

SinNombre

I don’t see another club giving him equal to the wage he’s on just now and I can’t see him dropping to 100k a week. I reckon we will have a Bale and Madrid situation here for the next 2 years.
He is a first choice starter for England who wants to play every game in club football and has competition for his international spot if he doesn’t play at all.

He will go to West Ham, they have Europa league to offer and will be a decent team.

Pronewbie

Peep
It's the right timing with minimal fuss.
Edit: Also him being given captaincy is an indictment of the toxicity and fragility in the dressing room at that point in time rather than just Ole's misjudgement.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
Nobody is gonna pay this numpty the ransom we are paying at £190k a week. He's going to leech every last penny of his contract until 2025, we are stuck with him.

Seij

I don’t understand why he’s not pushing for a move to any EPL club. He is still first choice for England yet 5th choice for United. At this rate he won’t be on the pane to Germany for the Euros. If West Ham want him then that makes perfect sense. That definitely is his level.

Another season in the reserves and he might struggle to get an EPL club.
Prestige of playing for United (plus being able to say "I'm the Manchester United captain"...until today) + 200k/w salary which no other club will come close to matching. This might change though now that he's no longer that captain.

Different people have different priorities.

Again.. does any other player do this? posting about it publicaly.
It'd be pretty rare, especially while also leaking to journos about how upset he is.

Sgreddevil

I wondered if there was a real need to do that since we know most of the time our vice captain will take on the captain role during matchday as Maguire is unlikely to play in the first team. This just creates unnecessary attention to our team.
The possible reason for doing that is to force a move out of him.

hobbers

If this actually was a surprise to Maguire it only goes to show he's even dumber and more deluded than we all took him for.

THEJAMFAN

I can't unsee Bruno's attitude on the pitch away at Anfield as we were battered 7-0 by Liverpool. Didn't act like a captain that day, and his petulant rolling around like he has been shot whenever someone sneezes near him is frustrating. Casimero would be a better captain if he has grasped the language or even Martinez, I prefer it goes to a fighter.
Exactly this, BF is not captain material.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Just a reminder, in the week where Dele Alli has talked about personal problems causing his downfall, don't be too harsh on Harry who is experiencing quite a fall from grace.
The mass social media vilification and vilification of Maguire should never have happened. Sadly I doubt the Deli Ali interview will change the Uber turds who comment on every football related video with a Maguire reference.

On the statement, it’s fine that he wants to be vocal and speak up. He hasn’t said anything negative towards anyone in it and maybe cathartic for him personally and for his image. I do hope he leaves this summer -for Our and his sake as well.

Winrar

The most upvoted comments to Maguire's twitter post are oppos moonlighting as united fans and telling him it was a bad move and he needs to stay...

I would be laughing if it wasn't so sad.