Manchester City under Pep Guardiola | Pep on City v Liverpool ref: "He likes to be special"

sammyvine

Why do people hate Pep so much lol?
Football is a business. Surely people know that by now

Sigma

Listened to that whole interview, seems like a really nice, funny guy. You can see why many of the players he works with likes him and buys into his ideas.

Does he really think he's fooling anybody when he said his dream was to play here when he was still a player? I doubt you even knew that City was a club while you were a player. Should have said I wanted to play in Manchester, I can't really say what club even though everyone knows, but guys i wanted to be in this city that's what counts right?
He was obvisouly taking about wanting to play in England.

Gol123

Mouthfull (of) Member
Supports
Chelsea
Why did City do a presentation like that? Why does it seem like they are trying too hard with everything they do?

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Why did City do a presentation like that? Why does it seem like they are trying too hard with everything they do?
Because they're small-time and no one really cares about them

Gol123

Mouthfull (of) Member
Supports
Chelsea
They are like a summer camp in America. Pep is the new councillor who they are introducing to the children. I half expected them to break out into song on a homemade guitar.

Same with their new training complex. All of the inspirational messages on the walls and the players being walked around by overly enthusiastic young ladies. Felt like the summer camp had just opened a new building for the children to play in.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
Why not? City had a new manager, a new player, and a new badge to officially unveil. That manager also happens to have been probably the most in-demand in world football. What was wrong with providing fans a chance to witness all that and ask Guardiola some questions? People will criticise anything these days if it doesn't involve their own club.

Gol123

Mouthfull (of) Member
Supports
Chelsea
Why not? City had a new manager, a new player, and a new badge to officially unveil. That manager also happens to have been probably the most in-demand in world football. What was wrong with providing fans a chance to witness all that and ask Guardiola some questions? People will criticise anything these days if it doesn't involve their own club.
It's just a bit weird I thought. Felt a bit forced too. Can't you just have a normal press conference?

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I found it a bit odd too. Pep is their biggest signing, so I guess they want to make a big deal out of it. You know, they're a massive club. They have Pep now!

ChaddyP

Thought it was fine to be fair. Huge managerial signing new cartoon badge and a couple signings. Its not really that strange .

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
It's just a bit weird I thought. Felt a bit forced too. Can't you just have a normal press conference?
So you do not think it was good of the club to introduce Pep to the fans in person and let them ask him questions rather than shoving him in front of a few journalists as normally happens? It's an attempt to make the fans of the club feel more involved and help build a rapport with the manager. Criticising that just seems a bit bizarre to me.

Gol123

Mouthfull (of) Member
Supports
Chelsea
So you do not think it was good of the club to introduce Pep to the fans in person and let them ask him questions rather than shoving him in front of a few journalists as normally happens? It's an attempt to make the fans of the club feel more involved and help build a rapport with the manager. Criticising that just seems a bit bizarre to me.
Problem is they seem to try too hard. They try too hard to get the fans involved and create magical moments and a connection between the fans and the club. That sort of personal relationship should come organically. Instead it feels forced, like a summer camp trying to create memories. It all seems very false.

Take United for example; New manager and 2 new big signings and they just do a press conference. They understand that the connection between the fans and the management comes from their shared experiences, not a strange presentation in which the fans just stare at the manager like a concert for some boy band. It's also very forced, which seems to be something Man City as a club do a lot of. Try and force fan fare.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
Problem is they seem to try too hard. They try too hard to get the fans involved and create magical moments and a connection between the fans and the club. That sort of personal relationship should come organically. Instead it feels forced, like a summer camp trying to create memories. It all seems very false.

Take United for example; New manager and 2 new big signings and they just do a press conference. They understand that the connection between the fans and the management comes from their shared experiences, not a strange presentation in which the fans just stare at the manager like a concert for some boy band. It's also very forced, which seems to be something Man City as a club do a lot of. Try and force fan fare.
Ok, I see where you're coming from now. Still don't agree though, it was a nice touch by the club to not have Guardiola's unveiling be in front of journalists who couldn't care less about the club and just want a juicy soundbite, and opt to let him speak in front of the fans instead. As I've said as well, the event was not just about Guardiola. Do you think United fans would have turned up and enjoyed a chance to watch Zlatan and Mourinho be interviewed and ask questions themselves? Of course they would, and I'd say it was nice touch by them as well if they did that. 6000 City fans turned up for an enjoyable event in rare bit of Manchester sunshine, I find it a bit sad that you'd prefer the club follow convention and keep the fans distant to proceedings.

M18CTID

Supports
Manchester City

This isn't actually a new event although it took a slightly different twist this year. From 2013-2015 the club held a City Live event at G-Mex in the midweek prior to the start of the season where the manager and players made an appearance, along with other entertainment in the form of live music, etc. I'd imagine this event yesterday replaced that. It's not really for me and no doubt there will be a bit of cheese thrown in along the way but it no doubt appeals to a lot of fans, as I'm sure it would if United did it. There was another event in 2009 that I did attend which coincided with the launch of the new Umbro kit. It was on a Friday night on the car park adjacent to the stadium with no players and manager present and was basically a mini music festival involving well known and up and coming local bands, and was totally devoid of any cheese. It was free entry on a first come, first served basis and was a good night despite the atrocious weather. The other half enjoyed it immensely and she's a United fan ;)

Fener1907

I think the problem is that it seems a bit presumptuous. Here's our new manager, and we're revealing him like this because we know he's the best and practically guarantees success. That said, if a manager justifies them going out of their way to make a big deal out of it, he's one of very few who does.

Also, I must be the only United fan who thinks City's new badge is alright, but maybe that's just because of the red rose making a comeback. Think it's a massive improvement on the mysterious stars and pointless Latin, all while still retaining the actual relevant bits (ship, stripes) and throwing in the founding year to boot.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!

Exactly that, it's such a small time thing to do. You'd never catch Arsenal, United, Liverpool or Chelsea parading a new manager like that.

It's a cry for attention nothing more.

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
Exactly that, it's such a small time thing to do. You'd never catch Arsenal, United, Liverpool or Chelsea parading a new manager like that.

It's a cry for attention nothing more.
There have been similar events in Spain before. Real Madrid in particular.
Just because nobody in England has tried it before doesn't mean that it's a bad idea.

Gol123

Mouthfull (of) Member
Supports
Chelsea
There have been similar events in Spain before. Real Madrid in particular.
Just because nobody in England has tried it before doesn't mean that it's a bad idea.
In the stadium.

cyberman

I love the way people who laugh at Pep saying it was a dream to go there are called idiots by Citys own fans. As if it was this absurd idea he would have that dream and their own fans agree!
Of course he meant England but it does say a lot.

Steve the Red

The biggest (loudest) celebration of Zlatan's arrival was the Manchester Welcome banner. It didn't need the club to orchestrate it.
There are things that mcfc have to do as a club which happen for United because fans and outsiders want to do it.

Womp

idiot
Get the vibe from that video that he knows it won't be easy. Also that he won't be there long, 3 years as usual.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
I genuinely forgot that they had him until this morning.

I'm just not that worried at the moment, apart from Gundogan their transfers haven't been too frightening and even then he has to prove his fitness.

Culero

He's pretty funny
For those who think that Pep is a miracle worker I am glad he dispels that myth here by stating again and again that we can talk tactics all we want but
if the players do not have that great quality it won't work. Really interested how he will perform at City because it's a challenge no matter what people may think.

Sigma

For those who think that Pep is a miracle worker I am glad he dispels that myth here by stating again and again that we can talk tactics all we want but
if the players do not have that great quality it won't work. Really interested how he will perform at City because it's a challenge no matter what people may think.
Yep, I agree

sammyvine

I think they will do well
They have the best manager in the league imo

Classical Mechanic

He is really scraping the barrel regarding player quality at City.

And they will spend another £150m or so adding to the squad.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I think they will do well
They have the best manager in the league imo
They are unlikely to do much this season imo - he will need this year to get a feel for the league and to restructure the squad (which badly needs it).

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Watched their game against Bayern. Literally couldn't draw anything from it.
Only Navas, Kolarov, Kelechi and Cabellero among their regulars started the game. And none of them are XI players.
Bayern had more first teamers and looked the far better side.

At the back of my mind, I still expect them to win the league because they have the best manager in the world(my opinion).
But, they have been very slow in bringing players in and shipping players out. I don't know if the latter is cause of the former. And even the guy they've brought in won't be available till December.
My biggest worry for them still remains their midfield. It would be disastrous if hey go into the season with their midfield as it is.
The problem is they're aren't that many quality midfielders out there.
I heard about Kroos. But that is a dream.

Edit: Fernandinho and Fernando started but I can't remember them touching the ball.

CLARiiON

Mes que un Gloryhunter
Supports
Barcelona
I think it will help City that they have had a low key summer compared to United. The expectations will be much much higher for Mou compared to Pep now. He will have one advantage though is that less number of teams will play with 5/6 defenders in this league. Whenever he managed Barca/Bayern, you could see that every opponent sitting back. It will be little different for City and he may enjoy this additional space.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
I think it will help City that they have had a low key summer compared to United. The expectations will be much much higher for Mou compared to Pep now. He will have one advantage though is that less number of teams will play with 5/6 defenders in this league. Whenever he managed Barca/Bayern, you could see that every opponent sitting back. It will be little different for City and he may enjoy this additional space.
That works two ways though, you are never allowed space and time in the PL like you are in the BL or Spanish League, the cnuts will be on you like wasps for a full 90 minutes.

(this is not a slight on the Spanish or German league, just stating that the intensity and pressing in the PL, even from the smaller teams, are quite different.)

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
You can't play Pep's football without world class CM. That's City's weakness, and I fully expect them to struggle to score goals/create too many chances, especially early in the season.

Bob Loblaw

Supports
Liverpool
That works two ways though, you are never allowed space and time in the PL like you are in the BL or Spanish League, the cnuts will be on you like wasps for a full 90 minutes.

(this is not a slight on the Spanish or German league, just stating that the intensity and pressing in the PL, even from the smaller teams, are quite different.)
Cesc and Torres have said the exact opposite - that they find space a lot easier to come by in England.

Adisa

I somewhat disagree. The expectations around Jose Mourinho are a bit reduced because of what happened last season.
Also, expeditions are reduced of because of what happened to us last season. Even though City performed roughly he same as us.
There is still this myth that City have by far the best squad in the league even though both teams have gotten about the same number of points for the past two years.
There are pundits in the press that says they expect Coty to win the league by up to 15 points.
Also teams are facing Man City already willing to surrender possession because they know it is central to the way Guardiola plays.
Just look at the bookies. We are still a comfortable second in terms of odds.
I don't mean to say there isn't more pressure on United. Just look at the latest poll on here. 75% of fans say we will win the league. Which is think is ridiculous.
But a lot of people in England really do believe Pep is a miracle worker. Or should be a miracle worker at least.
There are also a lot of people desperate for him to fail and paint him as a fraud.

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
Just look at the latest poll on here. 75% of fans say we will win the league. Which is think is ridiculous.
But a lot of people in England really do believe Pep is a miracle worker. Or should be a miracle worker at least.
There are also a lot of people desperate for him to fail and paint him as a fraud.
Considering your transfer window and the fact you are not playing CL it isn't ridiculous at all, if you ask me. Pep's philosophy of football is incredibly demanding, and therefore requires an equally talented squad to make it click within a short enough time frame. He had those squads at his former 2 clubs, but this current City, though not a bad one, is clearly inferior compared to what he had to work with before. I expect it will take him a season and another transfer window, until he can implement his football to full extent.
Mourinhos football, on the other hand, is easier to grasp for the players. Looking at the number of high profile signings and considering the lack of the burden of a CL campaign, I don't see any reason why Utd shouldn't be title contender No.1.

Adisa

Considering your transfer window and the fact you are not playing CL it isn't ridiculous at all, if you ask me. Pep's philosophy of football is incredibly demanding, and therefore requires an equally talented squad to make it click within a short enough time frame. He had those squads at his former 2 clubs, but this current City, though not a bad one, is clearly inferior compared to what he had to work with before. I expect it will take him a season and another transfer window, until he can implement his football to full extent.
Mourinhos football, on the other hand, is easier to grasp for the players. Looking at the number of high profile signings and considering the lack of the burden of a CL campaign, I don't see any reason why Utd shouldn't be title contender No.1.
We are playing Europa League. A competition with more games and hopefully we take it seriously.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Disagree to some extent. While it may be true that the Bluemoon following may not be a true barometer of City supporters, they all talk as if they will win the league by a mile and United will struggle in mid table amidst an internal implosion involving Jose and Ibra during a season in which we will get found out and they will dominate. Pep is the Messiah and will instantly be a success even though he has never managed in the league before and readily admits that it will be a challenge.

Whether it is the delusion talking or the genuine expectation that his arrival has instilled in the fans, they will expect to hit the ground running. They do not entertain the notion of it playing out any other way.

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
Disagree to some extent. While it may be true that the Bluemoon following may not be a true barometer of City supporters, they all talk as if they will win the league by a mile and United will struggle in mid table amidst an internal implosion involving Jose and Ibra during a season in which we will get found out and they will dominate. Pep is the Messiah and will instantly be a success even though he has never managed in the league before and readily admits that it will be a challenge.

Whether it is the delusion talking or the genuine expectation that his arrival has instilled in the fans, they will expect to hit the ground running. They do not entertain the notion of it playing out any other way.
Why do you suppose that you can speak for all Bluemoon posters? Do you read anything other the United thread?
Mourinho won the PL in his first English season didn't he, so why should Pep not have a realistic chance?
The only people I have heard referring to Pep as "The Messiah" are Reds. Can you give me a link to where you've read a Blue using that phrase?