Manchester City under Pep Guardiola | Pep on City v Liverpool ref: "He likes to be special"

Ban

City had some great kits over the years tbh. But this years one is absolutely horrible.

RooneyLegend

He needs midfielders, and he needs them now. He needs to start by bringing ina holding mid, cause with a holding mid his football is basically going nowhere. If he thinks he could do that with the likes of Fernando, then good luck to him.

Sigma

Really nice to see this from him: more people in football should do this

(this is why Manchester United should have its own youtube channel, to connect to the fans)

Cityfaninpeace

Supports
Man City
Disagree to some extent. While it may be true that the Bluemoon following may not be a true barometer of City supporters, they all talk as if they will win the league by a mile and United will struggle in mid table amidst an internal implosion involving Jose and Ibra during a season in which we will get found out and they will dominate. Pep is the Messiah and will instantly be a success even though he has never managed in the league before and readily admits that it will be a challenge.

Whether it is the delusion talking or the genuine expectation that his arrival has instilled in the fans, they will expect to hit the ground running. They do not entertain the notion of it playing out any other way.
What are you talking about! Most city fans are saying the title will be headed to Manchester one way or another. Personally I think it will be a race between us, you and Chelsea.

Manchester Dan

Supports
Man City
You can't play Pep's football without world class CM. That's City's weakness, and I fully expect them to struggle to score goals/create too many chances, especially early in the season.
I struggle to grasp why you would fully expect City to struggle to score goals/create chances when players like Aguero, De Bruyne and Silva are in the side - with links to add further players (that also ignores other talents like Iheanacho and Sterling). Nothing in the side under Pellegrini has ever suggested that goals are hard to come by, and now there's a manager who clearly works around his players strengths more, and obviously has more tactical ability. I agree the midfield isn't exceptional, but I'd struggle to name one world class CM in this league, so to argue you need one to score goals/create chances in this league seems bizarre.

Just to back it up - City finished top scorers last season, top scorers the season before that, and top scorers the season before that.

Oo0AahCantona

I think there going to be an excellent side under him, the caveat being their spine needs to be rebuilt to fit his needs and im not sure how long thats going to take to do.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs

(this is why Manchester United should have its own youtube channel, to connect to the fans)
Sweet video. Well done Pep.

Xeno

They are miles ahead of us in terms of Social Media, but I guess they need to make more of an effort to promote themselves. No excuse for our sub par efforts.

Pep comes across as quite natural in that video: he's obviously a charmer.

Also that kid is both a City fan and ginge. Must be tough.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks

We have a similar video for Mou

Will not win it first season.
Nope, but he will eventually. And even though it won't be any different than how Mancini or Pellegrini did, he will be lauded as an amazing coach for winning the league with the most expensive team in the league.

namco

He will eventually. And even though it won't be any different than how Mancini or Pellegrini did, he will be lauded as an amazing coach for winning the league with the most expensive team in the league.
Mancini & Pellegrini both had the title gift wrapped for them & still only managed to stumble over the line. If Pep can win the title with a few games to spare there will be statues all around the council house.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Will not win it first season.
Really? I think there's a great chance he will win it in his first season.
For obvious reasons I hope not!:D But he's very smart, and will have prepared well.

Bwuk

Apparently Delph has been training as a defender.

Would love it if in the Derby they played him against Zlatan

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
Apparently Delph has been training as a defender.

Would love it if in the Derby they played him against Zlatan
If it's true it will be as a LB so no chance of him going up against Zlatan. Wouldn't be too confident in Zlatan's ability either, Mangala and Otamendi dealt with him pretty comfortably in both games against PSG last season.

NK86

Delph would give Zlatan a chance to be fair, Kompany would eat him up.
Assuming he can stay fit. If the past couple of seasons are anything to go by, it is like expecting Anderson to stay off the carbs.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
If it's true it will be as a LB so no chance of him going up against Zlatan. Wouldn't be too confident in Zlatan's ability either, Mangala and Otamendi dealt with him pretty comfortably in both games against PSG last season.
Delph would give Zlatan a chance to be fair, Kompany would eat him up.
Shots fired:D
You guys better get used to players playing in awkward positions and awkward formations. He is like LVG in that way. A player should be able to play many positions.
I can easily understand moving a CM to CB. But it's usually a CM with great passing range. I'm not sure Delph has that.
And lastly, I've nearly heard any news of CM signings which I think you guys still badly need.
The link win Kroos has gone cold.

Polite Poster

Supports
Manchester City
Delph has said he won't be a CB but has learned more in 3 weeks under Pep than the rest of his career.
City have apparently said they were never in for Kroos

Manchester Dan

Supports
Man City
Assuming he can stay fit. If the past couple of seasons are anything to go by, it is like expecting Anderson to stay off the carbs.
Only last season really - he only made 14 league appearances last season. His previous were 25/26/28 in the 3 season before that. But you're right, his injuries last season were worrying because of their nature. I think you almost have to plan without him now, and if he somehow manages to stay fit then it's a huge bonus because he's still a fantastic defender and captain.
Shots fired:D
You guys better get used to players playing in awkward positions and awkward formations. He is like LVG in that way. A player should be able to play many positions.
I can easily understand moving a CM to CB. But it's usually a CM with great passing range. I'm not sure Delph has that.
And lastly, I've nearly heard any news of CM signings which I think you guys still badly need.
The link win Kroos has gone cold.
I would also like to see another CM, but I do think Gundogan will be an excellent signing and is being forgotten about because he's had a few big injuries in the last few seasons. Kroos is a pipe dream, I just do not see that ever happening. Fullbacks are my biggest worry, given the system Pep normally likes to implement I don't think we have the right talent in those areas yet.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Zlatan was better in the first game, he had 3 chances to score where he escaped his marker easily. He header went straight to Hart, One on one he just skied and the header that hit the post. I wouldn't say the CBs dealt with his comfortable, if anything Zlatan was better in the first game (than your CBs) but poor in the second.

Manchester Dan

Supports
Man City
Maybe Kompany just keeps getting injured because he's too heavy for his own good. He is a big lad like.

dogwithabone

Think it's wishful thinking that they won't be anything other than right up there but definite issues and teething problems that could mean a turbulent first season for Guardiola.

How will Hart do after the Euros ? Central defence is a bit of a mess, their transfer plans haven't been as clear cut as ours for instance and recruitment has been a bit chaotic. On the up side they possess two of the best match winners in the business in De Bruyne and Augero and those two are a huge reason why they are going to be there or thereabouts.

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
With their monstruous squad what will be their best starting XI ?

Guardiola played a 4-3-3 in Spain, and more of a 4-1-4-1 at Bayern. We know he likes 3-5-2 too, but I think it will be more 4-1-4-1

I quickly explain differences between 4-3-3 and 4-1-4-1 (or 4-2-3-1)... He'll play with two real wingers down the lines (so not really two forward playing in a 4-3-3), and I think depending of games, he'll use only one real defensive midfielder and one ore creative ones.

In bold the ones that can be modified till the end

----------------------------------------Hart------------------------------------------
Sagna------------------Kompany--------------Otamendi--------------------Clichy
----------------------------------Ferdnandinho---------------------------------

De Bruyne--------------Gundogan--------------Silva------------------Sané/Sterling
----------------------------------------Aguero-----------------------------------------

He'll have to work his magic on this team to be better than Chelsea's Conte, even Arsenal's babies or I hope United

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
Think it's wishful thinking that they won't be anything other than right up there but definite issues and teething problems that could mean a turbulent first season for Guardiola.

How will Hart do after the Euros ? Central defence is a bit of a mess, their transfer plans haven't been as clear cut as ours for instance and recruitment has been a bit chaotic. On the up side they possess two of the best match winners in the business in De Bruyne and Augero and those two are a huge reason why they are going to be there or thereabouts.
Hart will be aware that his overall game must improve for him to retain his spot. We have already signed a keeper called Geronimo Rulli who is on loan at Deportivo LC and Calallero shone v Bayern last week so there is healthy competition going forward.
It shouldn't be forgotten though that Joe had plenty of superb games for City last season when our defence and midfield were giving him little support but his International errors are fresh in the mind of many.

Not sure our transfer dealings are "chaotic".
The Laporte thing was a shame but you can understand a young player staying in familiar surroundings. He got a nice pay rise from Bilbao to cheer him while he recovers from his injury so he'll be happy that City came calling and we have plenty of time to source a replacement if necessary.
We are playing the long game with Stones and Sane. Both are reportedly keen to join us and rather than just pay the asking price we're putting down a marker as a club who will pay a fair price for our targets but the days of us just writing the cheques are long gone. We walked away from signing a certain Juventus player last year when the deal became too expensive for what he offers.
Also we've already got 3 deals over the line (Gundogan, Nolito and Zinchenko), 4 more close (Stones, Sane, Moreno and Gabriel Jesus) and 3 top prospects for the future (Lorenzo Gonzalez, Benjamin Garre & Ian Carlo Povedo) so we have had our successes.
So to summarise no "Wow" signings but the oft quoted mantra about ageing squad is being quietly addressed. We do have plenty of work to do in managing squad numbers though, particularly with regards to home grown quota so I expect a few departures of older players before deadline day.

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city

Guardiola played a 4-3-3 in Spain, and more of a 4-1-4-1 at Bayern. We know he likes 3-5-2 too, but I think it will be more 4-1-4-1

I quickly explain differences between 4-3-3 and 4-1-4-1 (or 4-2-3-1)... He'll play with two real wingers down the lines (so not really two forward playing in a 4-3-3), and I think depending of games, he'll use only one real defensive midfielder and one ore creative ones.

----------------------------------------Hart------------------------------------------

De Bruyne--------------Gundogan--------------Silva------------------Sané/Sterling
----------------------------------------Aguero-----------------------------------------

He'll have to work his magic on this team to be better than Chelsea's Conte, even Arsenal's babies or I hope United
It will be nigh on impossible to nail City under Pep to a best XI.
Injuries, form and the style of the opposition will dictate who gets the call on any given day.
As you say he has multiple formations to call on and often there will be shifts within a game.
Whatever happens it's going to be a vintage season in the PL with an exciting shake up at so many top clubs with plenty to debate.

Womp

idiot

As great as a manager he is I genuinely think he will be in for a shock in the EPL. No offence to him but that Barca team was unbelievable in terms of individual talent and Bayern win the Bundesliga on auto-pilot. It will be a real test for him. Think he still needs to sort out the defence and maybe bring another CM as Gundogan is still out for a while (iirc?) and Toure is finished.

They have 2 arguably world class players in Aguero and KDB but they're both injury prone, heres hoping that doesn't change anytime soon as they look a completely different unit when Aguero is on form.

Conte's Chelsea the team to look out for most IMO, going to be extremely difficult to break down their 352, especially now with Kante.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins

That team doesn't worry me in all honesty.

Ephrem

Pep is in a for a surprise here at EPL . I dont see City challenging for the title ( nor us though even we get Pogba ) .

RedStarUnited

Man City dont have a TV channel do they? Its the only logical reason I can think of for us not having a YT channel.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Pep is in a for a surprise here at EPL . I dont see City challenging for the title ( nor us though even we get Pogba ) .
If we and City are not even going to challenge then who is?
Spurs, Chelsea, Arsenal... Leicester?
I think its going to be a close season and I certainly think city will be there or there abouts at the end of the year - especially if the keep aguero fit

JoaquinJoaquin

Can see it going 2 ways with Pep. Rather they win the league quite comfortably or he will struggle quite a bit and they will flounder around the 4th \ 5th position. Unfortunately i'm more leaning towards the first one.

Bwuk

Pizza too. Though they go hand in hand really.

Claudio Ranieri would take the Leicester players out for pizza for keeping clean sheets. United players used to eat chips and bemoaned it when Moyes banned them.

Bwuk

"Pep Guardiola has been talking about midfielders playing in defence, like Javi Mascherano did at Barcelona.

He said: "Fernandinho has the quality to play in 10 positions. He is quick, fast, aggressive, strong in the air. He can play there."

Taken from BBC Website.

I hope to god he faffs around playing midfielders at the back. It rarely works.

Oggmonster

Claudio Ranieri would take the Leicester players out for pizza for keeping clean sheets. United players used to eat chips and bemoaned it when Moyes banned them.
I'm sure it would piss a few off, the problem here being footballers usually come across as cliquey morons who just whinge all the time. Moyes and Guardiola are different animals though. The United players probably (and maybe rightfully) thought they knew more than Moyes due to their success. The City players can not say the same about Guardiola and you'd think they would have the common sense to listen to him.