Manchester United 2:2 Steven Gerrard's Villa (Sat 23rd July, 10:45 UK time)

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Glad Villa came back into it in the second half. Good for ETH to see us under a bit of pressure in a game and have some faults exposed. Better it happens in pre-season than the real thing.
true. Glad Lindelof showed his true colours also.

Martinez cant come fast enough

evil_geko

De Gea and Lindelof the cowards of Manchester. You can't fake bravery, same players they've always been.
The only cowards I see is people on here blaming De Gea for every little thing, give your heads a wobble ffs.

Delano

Not taking much from that in either half really. Pitch was a disgrace.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
I genuinely can’t believe the meltdown…even by this places standards. It was a bog of a pitch which significantly worsened 2nd half, we had Alex Telles playing central midfield and Steven Gerrard pumping them up like it was the World Cup final. Calm down you utter lunatics :lol:

Quagmire Maguire

Anyone else a bit worried about Donny, just doesn't feel like it's going to work at this club. I admittedly didn't see much of him at Ajax but he came very highly rated yet when he is on the pitch it's as if he isn't there. I saw nothing at all from him again today and most of his games in a United shirt have been like this.

Overall a very scrappy game due to a terrible pitch. Looking forward to seeing the squad back at Carrington with the new signings.

RedDevilQuebecois

Chill out dude, it's pre season for fecks sake.
With the silly goals he has conceded in this tour, there is a serious cause for concern. He needs the kind of kick in the arse that LVG gave him in the early stages of the 2015-16 season.

Blood Mage

What this game showed is that we're still capable of falling apart when put under pressure. Game completely changed after Bailey's goal and Villa dominated.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
Our best eleven were head and shoulders better than their best eleven. What happened second half after ten subs isn't even worth thinking about.

We're getting minimum top 4 next season and a cup.

worldinmotion66

Result isn't important, and I don't think you can judge much from that game because the conditions were a joke. The only time those players will play on a pitch like that is an fa Cup game against far weaker opponents.

The front four have looked really promising all tour, pressing well as a unit and martial linking play has been a real positive. Both full backs and central midfielders making forward runs is also refreshing. Finally a manager that takes risks in the right areas and demands more from the players.

Hester_manc

I think defending set pieces is going to be a problem this season. We do not have enough players who are good at this.

redom

Game deteriorated with the pitch, Villa made the better of the conditions by upping the intensity in the second half knowing that there would be more sloppy touches and misplaced passes to take advantage of and then they went more direct in behind our fullbacks which caused us some problems. They definitely looked more "up for it" then we did.

Dudu

Good in the 1st half. The opposite in the 2nd.

2-2 feels fair.

Just glad nobody got injured.

phelans shorts

No way De Gea was getting that.... vs two big Villa players, our defence just turned off
The choice is either shout at De Gea with confirmation bias or recognise that Varane marking him just let Chambers walk away, but we have to keep up the pretence that he’s world class and being held back so De Gea bashing it is

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
Are people being mad after this result in a preseason match? :lol:
It's mental. The last few pages have been cringe has feck. A nice reminder of why I avoid matchday threads though. Glad I remembered that lesson now and not during the season. I guess that's what preseason is for though...

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
How bad was that ref though? He pretty much just let villa kick lumps out of us.
Must be a Stevie fanboy.
Shocking.

Things don't bode well for Villa though, we let them back into the game but their level was very low. Commentators were mentioning a top half finish but I've a sneaking suspicion they'll be in a relegation scrap.

always_hoping

Basic stats

1st half

Goals - United 2 Villa 0
Shots - United 5 Villa 1
On Target - United 3 Villa 0

2nd half

Goals - United 0 Villa 2
Shots - United 1 Villa 7
On Target - United 0 Villa 3

Becks_VII

Bit more experience in there to hold on to the ball when we had the chance is what was needed at the end, but as has been said least ETH is seeing this in pre season so he can rectify.

FatTails

Result isn't important, and I don't think you can judge much from that game because the conditions were a joke. The only time those players will play on a pitch like that is an fa Cup game against far weaker opponents.

The front four have looked really promising all tour, pressing well as a unit and martial linking play has been a real positive. Both full backs and central midfielders making forward runs is also refreshing. Finally a manager that takes risks in the right areas and demands more from the players.
I am trying hard not to draw conclusions, but I can’t unsee Donny’s performance of nothingness.

Hester_manc

I think Garner is the only younger player who has a chance of coming into the first team - but not in the starting 11, on the bench.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
At least nobody is overreacting
:lol: so true. It's mainly folk who have been silent during our other preseason games where we've performed really well, and now they're over the moon that they can complain.

If Ten Hag and the players have shown anything this preseason it's that they can get things right if they're coached properly. The set piece mistakes will be trained out of them in the coming days and weeks. We'll keep improving. Calm the feck down.

fergosaurus

On a good pitch our first team would've been out of sight by the time the changes were made. At the same time it's a good reminder that we need more squad depth and hopefully we can get a couple more signings over the line.

Onerealunited

De Gea: someone need to learn him how to get out and get the ball when it is kicked in from the sides. It is still one of his weaknesses

Lindelöf:Sorry, but he is just not good enough. Just the fact that he is trying to cover the right foot of a player that is lefty is a big concern (at the Goal), and shouldn’t happen for a player at this level

Telles: played in DM, not a known position, was often too late or behind the player. He doesn’t have a future for us

Fred: really good at moments but still makes passing mistakes when he playa too deep and isn’t strong enough physically to cover the ball. He is definitely not a 6 (DM)

Sancho: this will be his year. He is really good and improving from game to game

Garner: a pity he couldn’t play more during preseason. He is good, you can see he knows how to play DM. Looking forward to see more of him

Iqbal: continues to surprise me. He should have a spot in the team. Is for me better than VdB and has a significantly higher potential than McTonibay

RaddyRed

Supports
Henrik Larsson
Delighted we didn't win. A perfect pre season always ends in disaster once the season starts, its like a jinx.

big rons sovereign

Shocking.

Things don't bode well for Villa though, we let them back into the game but their level was very low. Commentators were mentioning a top half finish but I've a sneaking suspicion they'll be in a relegation scrap.
Hard to say really, in conditions like that you can't really make any assumptions.
They've made a few good signings, Leon bailey looks to be the business.

Scorpy

Absolutely crapping it and loving it!
Always disappointing to concede in the last second, especially from a set-piece in our case.

I doubt we'd have conceded their first goal had Martinez been in the side instead of Lindelof. As for the equaliser, we all know De Gea is extremely poor in set-pieces, so it's nothing new really.

Hard to make any other conclusions given the horrendous pitch and weather.

We really do lack quality in depth in attack, though. You can see the changes Villa made changed the game, whereas we did not have anyone of the necessary quality on the bench to provide something new.

Ten Hag is right that we badly need another midfielder and an attacker.

Excited to see Martinez and Eriksen against Atletico.

moodyred

Donny was pretty terrible, Lindelof did horribly for the goal. Sancho, Martial and Rashford all looked quite decent in the first half. Zidane's caught the eye again, I think Chong and Garner have been lively too.
I disagree on Chong. I thought he was poor. Holds on the ball for too long. Indecisive and making poor decisions.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Anyone else a bit worried about Donny, just doesn't feel like it's going to work at this club. I admittedly didn't see much of him at Ajax but he came very highly rated yet when he is on the pitch it's as if he isn't there. I saw nothing at all from him again today and most of his games in a United shirt have been like this.

Overall a very scrappy game due to a terrible pitch. Looking forward to seeing the squad back at Carrington with the new signings.
He needs more chances. Ole and Ralf just refused to play him.

Red_Aaron

OK first half, nice moves for both goals. Moved the ball quick and committed numbers forward. Sancho was good, martial and rashford neat and tidy.

The midfield hole was evident but that's nothing new

Second half was poor. Villa ramped up the aggression and Bailey was a big threat but they didn't have too many chances. We had one or two decent breaks let down by poor decisions

Pitch was an absolute shocker so I'm just glad no one was injured