Manchester United 2:2 Steven Gerrard's Villa (Sat 23rd July, 10:45 UK time)

mu4c_20le

Doing it in training is one thing, doing it in an actual match and seeing things not working out is another. We saw this during early LVG days as well.

Robertd0803

Irritating result especially because its a stupid type of goal to concede. But anyway.

My back garden looks like its in a better condition than that pitch. Disgraceful.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
These conditions weren't conductive for any type of free flowing football. Villa had the benefit of having physical outlet guys whom they could punt the ball to and they'd be off to the race this bypassing the issue with that potato pitch.

Having said that, out players need to react better under pressure. Despite the pitch being utter dross, they should have still managed to stay composed at times

pascell

Why Chong is getting minutes ahead of Garnacho baffles me... and is a bit worrying. Cause Chong needs to go, preferably yesterday!
Ahead of Amad and Pellistri too, Chong should've left 2 summers ago. The fact he's getting minutes ahead of those two suggests they're nowhere near ready for senior football at United. Loan moves for all 3 would be ideal.

LordSpud

Still looks like our first XI only has 45 mins worth of legs which is worrying. They dropped off after half time way before the changes.

CloneMC16

Good point about the weekday games, maybe that's what people are missing? We've had a positive preseason tour and not just because of the results.
Yeah, this is the first game I've been able to watch. I was really happy with the first half, but the second half was very poor. Even before the subs. We lost complete control of the game. Really concerned with our depth upfront and what we have in midfield. Our kids aren't ready. If we have any injuries upfront, we have nobody to bring on. We still have the same issues in midfield.

I'm also upset with De Gea doing what I always expect him to do. Have zero control over his box.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Yeah, this is the first game I've been able to watch. I was really happy with the first half, but the second half was very poor. Even before the subs. We lost complete control of the game. Really concerned with our depth upfront and what we have in midfield. Our kids aren't ready. If we have any injuries upfront, we have nobody to bring on. We still have the same issues in midfield.
Yeah, I think we're still figuring out our Plan B. Plan A seems to be the high press, bag a couple of goals and then make use of the opposition chasing the game to hit them on the break. But when that doesn't happen and we're under pressure or still attacking against static teams we're struggling because we just can't keep the stamina up.

RedIan

The search to replace Matic starting to become ever more desperate.its clear we need at least one new top striker with Cavani, Greenwood and i assume (hope) Ronaldo gone. we cannot go with just Martial and Rashford, both injury prone and both inconsistant in form.
some promising kids but atm they are still just promising. Current squad is top 6 material.

ti vu

:lol: so true. It's mainly folk who have been silent during our other preseason games where we've performed really well, and now they're over the moon that they can complain.

If Ten Hag and the players have shown anything this preseason it's that they can get things right if they're coached properly. The set piece mistakes will be trained out of them in the coming days and weeks. We'll keep improving. Calm the feck down.
Set piece issue is not simple and easy to solve.

DDG at this stage of his career would be a disadvantage for our defense against corner. Ajax is not powerhouse at defending set piece. They got done by Benfica from corner despite being the better dominating team in both legs.

We're far away from being able to control the game to the extend we would only face one or two corner per game. If EtH really uses Martinez mainly as CB, it would only compound to the issue. Likely that McTominay would walk back into starting XI because he has height and because out of the XI, Maguire/Varane is only the aerial presence/capable.

Not freaking out, but the optimism to train out mistake defending set piece is unfounded. It's pretty much both personnel reliant and experience/cynical in coaching. Pep, Klopp had to threw money at it.

Last edited:

Maticmaker

Suspect ETH will have found out more about his squad from this game, than from the previous three matches... but that's what pre-season games are all about.

It's concerning that DVB is still struggling; the 'pass and move' trio-type motions at which he excelled at Ajax are still not operating here, TBH doubt it will with him and Bruno in the same side. Also today confirmed one of DeGea's key weaknesses is still there, so if he's staying, then ETH has to take a hard look at his centre backs and how they are positioned around DeGea to protect that goal area.

Woziak

De Gea: I’m at Utd for life ….thanks mate
He won’t be his passing and his inability to push the defence up another 20 yards will be why ETH eventually gets rid of him this is no different to Pep inheriting J Hart and getting rid very quickly even though J Hart was the GK that won the PL in the previous season, didn’t suit the way he wanted to play and De Gea will not suit the way ETH wants to play, he will look at his wages and think we could easily deploy that salary in a more important part of the team

Woziak

Set piece issue is not simple and easy.

DDG at this stage of his career would be a disadvantage for our defense against corner. Ajax is not powerhouse at defending set piece. They got done by Benfica despite being the better dominating team in both legs.

We're far away from being able to control the game to the extend we would only face one or two corner per game. If EtH really uses Martinez mainly as CB, it would only compound to the issue. Likely that McTominay would walk back into starting XI because he has height because out of that starting XI Maguire/Varane is only the aerial presence/capable.

Not freaking out, but the optimism to train out mistake defending set piece is both personnel reliant and difficult. Pep, Klopp had to threw money at it.
In a weird way Maguire actually had a decent game and may well of stopped that last minute equaliser and please I’m no fan of Harry’s but he was much better today

Strelok

Well what we saw today is what most of have suspected for some time;
DVB does not suit PL

Rashford is getting better but still a long way to go before we get 2017/2019 Marcus.

D De Gea is a short term solution at best to play a high line possession based game he’s just not great with his feet.

Our squad currently maybe 6th or 7th best in PL and that’s debate Villa had far more options from the bench today especially in attacking options, Hanibal played CFW let that sink in.

We still give games away and encourage teams without truly putting them to the sword we can’t strangle the life out of other teams like City and Liverpool do

If A Martial goes Missing and he will, who are we replacing him with from the bench

Fred is improving but he’s never a deep lying playmaker but he’s not a bad back
Up

L Bailey shows you why a left footed inverted winger can win you points in PL , Antony is a must transfer after this game

AWB just needs to go he doesn’t fit ETH system, T Chong as well time to go, he was never a united player

ETH probably doesn’t know his two starting CBs just yet so he needs to decide on that.

Some huge positives as well; Z IQbal future is bright, Malacia looks a good buy, Shaw thrives under competition, J Sancho on fire and Bruno has cut out some of the silly mistakes and Hollywood passes, however we need to get Ronaldo back, bedded in and 2 or 3 marquee signings in asap or we’ll be lucky to get into the top 6!

ETH looks the Don as a coach, however the PL as both pep and Klopp found in their first seasons will test you in ways you never expected and is a true baptism of fire.
Pretty good read until this. Ruined your whole post.

Tiber

Bailly kicked a chair? I assume that's him our injured for 6 months then

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Set piece issue is not simple and easy to solve.

DDG at this stage of his career would be a disadvantage for our defense against corner. Ajax is not powerhouse at defending set piece. They got done by Benfica despite being the better dominating team in both legs.

We're far away from being able to control the game to the extend we would only face one or two corner per game. If EtH really uses Martinez mainly as CB, it would only compound to the issue. Likely that McTominay would walk back into starting XI because he has height because out of that starting XI Maguire/Varane is only the aerial presence/capable.

Not freaking out, but the optimism to train out mistake defending set piece is both personnel reliant and difficult. Pep, Klopp had to threw money at it.
Yep, no one is going to 'train' De Gea into a keeper that dominates his area at this stage. Bringing in Martinez and the likes of Eriksen to the starting line up aren't going to bolster our set piece defending. It's definitely a concern. There's a reason Liverpool buy towering CBs like Konate and why they do so well on set pieces.

Chief123

De Gea you utter pussy, shot stopper is all he is. Fraud.
Blimey, I dread to think how you’d respond if it was a meaningful game.

De has always been shit at coming for crosses and corners. It’s not going to change. We have to work with it.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
Yep, no one is going to 'train' De Gea into a keeper that dominates his area at this stage. Bringing in Martinez and the likes of Eriksen to the starting line up aren't going to bolster our set piece defending. It's definitely a concern. There's a reason Liverpool buy towering CBs like Konate and why they do so well on set pieces.
Didn't we like concede the least (or thereabout) goals from dead balls last season?

Litch

Really happy with first half, first 15 mins of the second, we completely got caught out with the fact that Villa would come out with a bit of endeavour but little quality. Just reminded me of the 2nd half of a Cup tie against a Division 1 side in poor weather conditions….

ti vu

These conditions weren't conductive for any type of free flowing football. Villa had the benefit of having physical outlet guys whom they could punt the ball to and they'd be off to the race this bypassing the issue with that potato pitch.

Having said that, out players need to react better under pressure. Despite the pitch being utter dross, they should have still managed to stay composed at times
You must be watching a different game.

We got them in first half, but in the second half they fairly just played through us, and isolated our defenders into 1v1. They hardly punted the ball. It's just coached passage of play. Both made mistake and negative affected by the pitch condition, but Aston Villa still the better team in everything in second half. They pressed better. Passed better. Better positioning for second ball. That's against our first string before all the subs.

Anustart89

Always hard to judge the second-string players when they play in a full second-string side, but there are really few players in that second-half side who look like they are ready to be integrated into the first team squad, isn't there?

Off the top of my head, I'd say only Varane (not based on today's performance), Malacia, Zidane and Garner look like they could slot into the first team and actually contribute as squad players. So that's basically 15 players (plus McTominay, Eriksen and Martinez) that are going to get us through the entire season if we don't make more signings.

Wilt

He won’t be his passing and his inability to push the defence up another 20 yards will be why ETH eventually gets rid of him this is no different to Pep inheriting J Hart and getting rid very quickly even though J Hart was the GK that won the PL in the previous season, didn’t suit the way he wanted to play and De Gea will not suit the way ETH wants to play, he will look at his wages and think we could easily deploy that salary in a more important part of the team
Hope you’re right, though it seems he wants a contract extension. Most likely in the knowledge no other top European club will be chomping at the bit to sign him, and if so, at only a fraction of his current wages.

ti vu

In a weird way Maguire actually had a decent game and may well of stopped that last minute equaliser and please I’m no fan of Harry’s but he was much better today
If we're exposed by set piece, then he's needed. However, it can open to other existing issues to cover. AguireKs weaknesses.

I am not sure about Maguire being able to stop the last minute equalizer. He got involved in some bad set piece defending in the recent past. And in this every game, when he's still on the pitch, Aston Villa did threaten us from another corner,too.

IrishMcD

Same quotes we have been hearing for past few years from different managers. The one consistent? This group of players. They just are not good enough. I wonder how many “clean slates” are needed before the club realise they need to move the majority of them out of the club

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
God this new manager really seems like the guy. Really hope he doesn’t end up crap.

MrBest

Ahead of Amad and Pellistri too, Chong should've left 2 summers ago. The fact he's getting minutes ahead of those two suggests they're nowhere near ready for senior football at United. Loan moves for all 3 would be ideal.
Maybe playing him so we can get a fee later in the summer.

wolvored

I think the worry for TH will be how SG changed it for Villa and we couldnt cope with it. We played 20 mins with the same team who were the better side in the first half and we had no answer to them in that 20 mins. The lat bit was mainly the kids and no one stood out. Yes the pitch was terrible, but its terrible for both sides, so how come they coped with it and we didnt? We wont have pitches like that in the Premier, but cup games maybe will have at some point. TH is right we need new signings and I think Eriksen and Martinez will be starters. Martial seemed to go back to being the frustrating player he is and some of Brunos passes were wild again. Fred too many mistakes and Lindelof and Maguire were also poor in parts.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Our youngsters coming through are not that good unfortunately. Pereira/Januzaj vibes
Iqbal's been one of the best players this tour. Hannibal's probably our best youth player at the moment but we've been trying him in this weird false 9 role which he looks very uncomfortable in.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Why Chong is getting minutes ahead of Garnacho baffles me... and is a bit worrying. Cause Chong needs to go, preferably yesterday!
Chong is currently a better player than Garnacho which is to be expected as he's had 50-odd senior appearances on various loans.

Woziak

Chong needs to be sold for £7/8m

NZT-One

I'm also upset with De Gea doing what I always expect him to do. Have zero control over his box.
Were exactly my observations as well. FFS how is it possible, that nobody is able to create a somewhat working midfield with that group of players, I mean, I get it, they lack certain qualities - but then add another one to the pitch just like every other team is doing! Not like our attackers are sooooo awesome that we would miss a lot. Control in midfield is key.

These sort of quotes worry me a bit. Lets put the game today down due to pitch condition and potentially extensive training sessions, but there were a few patterns that are known issues and seemingly, we still have no answers to...

I think the worry for TH will be how SG changed it for Villa and we couldnt cope with it. We played 20 mins with the same team who were the better side in the first half and we had no answer to them in that 20 mins. The lat bit was mainly the kids and no one stood out. Yes the pitch was terrible, but its terrible for both sides, so how come they coped with it and we didnt? We wont have pitches like that in the Premier, but cup games maybe will have at some point. TH is right we need new signings and I think Eriksen and Martinez will be starters. Martial seemed to go back to being the frustrating player he is and some of Brunos passes were wild again. Fred too many mistakes and Lindelof and Maguire were also poor in parts.
I agree.

Godfather

Yeah bang on