Manchester United vs Athletic Bilbao (Sun 6th August, 16:00 UK time)

Fluctuation0161

Why didn't we play the second XI yesterday and the first team today? It would have made barely any difference to the team's preparations. The Irish fans would have got to see the first team, the fans at OT paid a lot less than them and would have got to see the second XI. Unless that was the original plan and then ETH insisted otherwise?

Also why is this on at the exact same as the charity shield match between city and arsenal?
The new signings need to get used to playing at OT?

Erik made a footballing decision, not a commercial one.

Maybe the club should have been clearer, and we are owned by money grabbing cnuts, but you can't put the blame on Erik.

Twam

Probably because Ten Hag does what he thinks is best to prepare the side for the season, not to please our Irish fanbase.

We were going to play a reserve side in one of the games, and he chose to do it this way around:
I have no problem with that, and I am going. But as has been said, people buying tickets at very inflated prices should have had all the information to hand before buying tickets, whatever view you have this is bad form.

Pronewbie

Peep
€90 a ticket for a friendly? That’s mental. :houllier:
I thought the Edinburgh ones were well overpriced at £30/40 a pop.

Feel for the folk going to the stadium today. At least it’s not going to be the kids, but it’ll still sting a bit. That’s the chance you take with a friendly I guess.
Average ticket price for Wrexham was $200+

Sgreddevil

Which club will arrange 2 friendly games back-to-back on consecutive days? I thought it was an one-off mistake for the real and wrexham games but seems to be intentional. I wonder what was the reason behind that. It can't help making people think that was a pre-planned strategy to earn 2 sell-out games at same time. I feel for those travelling fans that paid a premium for a reserve or youth game. Legally nothing wrong but was that ethical?

RuudTom83

There is always something to moan about.

Pre-season is not a competitive match so you never know what players you are going to get...main aim for the club is to get players fit.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Which club will arrange 2 friendly games back-to-back on consecutive days? I thought it was an one-off mistake for the real and wrexham games but seems to be intentional. I wonder what was the reason behind that. It can't help making people think that was a pre-planned strategy to earn 2 sell-out games at same time. I feel for those travelling fans that paid a premium for a reserve or youth game. Legally nothing wrong but was that ethical?
We did last year.

Wrexham game was always advertised from the off as an academy lineup. Meanwhile the promotional images for this match reflect what the likely lineup will be (Sancho, Lindelof, Pellistri) - only exception will be probably no Malacia due to injury.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
How would you of known an Old Trafford game would have been announced, especially the day before this game.

It's obviously a rip off and for 75-90 euro a ticket, I doubt it would of sold out if it was made clear it wasn't going to be a first team line up.I know a few groups going, all disappointed. They definitely would not of purchased.

You basically have kids disappointed they're not going to see their favorite players for their favorite team and parents out a couple of hundred.

Looking at all your posts, seem to be defending it and you obviously lack any empathy towards other fans.
We did the same last season.
This was also on the 6th June saying that we would have games on the 5th/6th August:
https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...-news/man-united-pre-season-fixtures-27062628

Agree that it's been handled badly though.

BarstoolProphet

The treatment of the foreign fans/kids has been dreadful in general. All about the money, gaining new supporters/create memories for kids means feck all. Was the same with the match in Norway as well, even if you could find excuses for not fielding full strength like late return for internationals etc. Also the club should never have lent the club name out for the Wrexham game, even if they advertised it as a reserve/youth team.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
How would you of known an Old Trafford game would have been announced...
There has never ever been a preseason without a game at OT

It was the exact same last year with 2 games in 2 days

BarstoolProphet

There is always something to moan about.

Pre-season is not a competitive match so you never know what players you are going to get...main aim for the club is to get players fit.
If that solely was the case, then the clubs should just do pre-season close to home instead of doing a heavily-advertised tour abroad. Creating a hectic travelling schedule is not very helpful when it comes to preparation anyway. So far the club has fecked up (ie very disgruntled fans that paid top dollar to finally get to see the club) in every country they have been in.

laughtersassassin

There has never ever been a preseason without a game at OT

It was the exact same last year with 2 games in 2 days
So what? It's undeniably wrong to announce a game a that's the week before the PL start, sell it out at extortionate prices and only after they've made all their money they set another game the day before it.

That's deceitful plain and simple.

If they had announced the dates for both before tickets where sold then fans could have made an informed decision. But clearly they intended to be pricks and to scam the fans. It's very scummy by the club.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
You’ve answered your own question there. Ireland’s full of United fans who don’t the money or free time to see the team as much as they’d like in Manchester. So will happily pay over the odds to see them on the very rare occasion when they’re in Dublin.

The really shitty thing about this is it’s a classic opportunity for parents to give their kids their first taste of watching the team live. So the stands will be full of children who are gutted they don’t get to see their heroes in the flesh.
If it's their first time then I would think kids would be happy to see any kind of United team live, it will still be a decent team of Internationals that costs hundreds of millions to buy

I can more understand disappointment for the parents who expected a stronger team

My child's first game was a MU Women's match, they didn't know any of the players at all but still loved the experience of going to their first live match

My lad is 7 and only really getting into it now, he was dying to go to this and I'd have happily paid the €75 each to get him up to it.

Glad I couldn't get tickets now, as it comes out the day beforehand it'll only be the dregs playing.

I'll get him over to OT for a match at some point this season, and that will probably cost the guts of €1000 for the pair of us, so maybe that'll put things in context a bit for you.
Will it really cost that much? I know many Irish Reds coming over regularly to OT, can't imagine it's costing that much each time

RuudTom83

If that solely was the case, then the clubs should just do pre-season close to home instead of doing a heavily-advertised tour abroad. Creating a hectic travelling schedule is not very helpful when it comes to preparation anyway. So far the club has fecked up (ie very disgruntled fans that paid top dollar to finally get to see the club) in every country they have been in.
I get your point but it is pre-season. Its not the same as a competitive match.

Lets see what the team is first.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
So what? It's undeniably wrong to announce a game a that's the week before the PL start, sell it out at extortionate prices and only after they've made all their money they set another game the day before it.

That's deceitful plain and simple.

If they had announced the dates for both before tickets where sold then fans could have made an informed decision. But clearly they intended to be pricks to scam the fans. It's very scummy by the club.
Poor planning yes I agree - I already said the club should have announced the full preseason schedule before selling tickets

Deceitful and a scam? Not really.
No one from the club ever promised a First XI for this game, all promotional pictures included squad players

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Will it really cost that much? I know many Irish Reds coming over regularly to OT, can't imagine it's costing that much each time
Well, it does.

Flights, hotel, tickets and general expenses for a 2 day trip, you're not gonna see a lot of change from €1000.

As for kids not being bothered about seeing star players, my lad has hundreds of match attax cards, watches all the matches, he knows full well who the players are and he'd obviously be disappointed if none of them are playing.

IrishRedDevil

How you managing that?

It costs me €30 just to park at the airport.
Normally go 12.30 or 3 on a Saturday.

Fly early morning and fly back late at night.

It’s all about getting flights booked in advance. We can get EasyJet flights from Belfast for £50 return.

My friend has a season ticket.

For 2 let’s say:
Same day airport parking £15
Flights £100
Tickets £120
Train £30
Food £40 (or can take food in your backpack)

BarstoolProphet

It’s all about getting flights booked in advance. We can get EasyJet flights from Belfast for £50 return.

For 2 let’s say:
Flights £100
Tickets £120
Train £30
How would you calculate bringing kids instead (like the poster mentioned)? Hard to do same day return trip with young kids and you also have to cover their entire cost.

Eyepopper

For 2 let’s say:
Flights £100
Tickets £120
Train £30
Well I'm about 4 hours from Belfast, and I've no friends with season tickets.

Same day over and back isn't really an option for me, particularly with a 7 year old.

IrishRedDevil

Well I'm about 4 hours from Belfast, and I've no friends with season tickets.

Same day over and back isn't really an option for me, particularly with a 7 year old.
I’m sure there is cheap flights from Dublin if you plan ahead.

I’ve still allowed £60 each for tickets. You don’t need a friend with a season ticket.

I don’t think a 7 year old is phased by a day trip. It’s an exciting day out. But add £100 for a hotel then.

GL21

Hard to imagine how this is a point of argument. Its a low blow from the club and I'd be truly kicked on the stones if I'd have managed to get tickets for it. With premium ticket prices like this you'd expect a premium line out. I'd be aggrieved too regardless how anyone defends it

Eyepopper

I’m sure there is cheap flights from Dublin if you plan ahead.

I’ve still allowed £60 each for tickets. You don’t need a friend with a season ticket.

I don’t think a 7 year old is phased by a day trip. It’s an exciting day out. But add £100 for a hotel then.
It's about €130 return out of Dublin for an 8am flight, you've to be at the airport 2 hours before departure, and I live 2 and a half hours from Dublin, so you're either talking about getting a 7 year old up at 3am, or more realistically, staying in Dublin the night before.

Not all of us have the luxury of living anywhere close to an airport.

That's the situation a lot of parents who bought tickets for today will have been in, prepared to pay a premium to bring their kids to see Utd in Dublin, and then find out 24 hours ahead of the game that none of the first team will probably even be there.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Just go and watch Utd and have a good day out you weirdo's,

Nero

You're not entitled to a full stength team when you by a ticket. If you don't get a full strength one it's just unfortunate.

Dazzmondo

Ffs why is this on at the same time as Community Shield? I'll wait to see the lineups but tbh I'll probably be watching CS considering none of this xi will probably have much gametime this season (with the exception of AWB and maybe Eriksen)

Fr. Todd Unctious

You're not entitled to a full stength team when you by a ticket. If you don't get a full strength one it's just unfortunate.

Nobody was expecting a full strength XI. However would have been nice to see 2 or 3 of the big name first XI involved in the squad (with all due respect to Eriksen, Maguire etc....)

PoTMS

Ah here we go, the complaint police have arrived. I'd be fecking livid too if I was a Irish fan and forked out an arm and a leg for tickets.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Nobody was expecting a full strength XI. However would have been nice to see 2 or 3 of the big names first XI involved in the squad (with all due respect to Eriksen, Maguire etc....)
You are getting Aaron Wan-Bissaka - what more could you want?

Chip

Martial not even on the bench. What a fecking joke :lol:

McFred on the way out since they're not in the squad?