Manchester United vs Liverpool (Tue 12th July, 14:00 UK time) | BANGKOK CENTURY CUP CHAMPIONS

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Well we wouldn't have won if Liverpool fielded their strongest side from the start - but it still felt damn nice :)
Nah, come on. Our first team against their second scored three goals. Our second team against their all star lineup, including their super duper new £85million striker, scored another. And that's before our supposedly team strengthening signings come in.

We weren't perfect, it's a friendly, the heat and humidity looked tortuous, Liverpool were clearly having a shite day. But if you look at the individual performances, we were almost, to a man, calm and collected on the ball, well drilled, and communicating brilliantly on the pitch. Seeing Sancho and Martial have the confidence to try and beat their man, and often doing it, was also great.

It'll still be Liverpool versus City for the league but I don't see us embarrassing ourselves against them like we did last season!

Giggzy P

Yes. I felt he and Iqbal looked tidy. I'd like to see them partnered with Fred/McTominay next game.
Oh Yeah iqbal as well. It was nice to see that he didnt seem to have a problem with the phsysical side if the game.
I am sure will we see it mixed up in the pre season.

TheReligion

Abusive
Nah, come on. Our first team against their second scored three goals. Our second team against their all star lineup, including their super duper new £85million striker, scored another. And that's before our supposedly team strengthening signings come in.

We weren't perfect, it's a friendly, the heat and humidity looked tortuous, Liverpool were clearly having a shite day. But if you look at the individual performances, we were almost, to a man, calm and collected on the ball, well drilled, and communicating brilliantly on the pitch. Seeing Sancho and Martial have the confidence to try and beat their man, and often doing it, was also great.

It'll still be Liverpool versus City for the league but I don't see us embarrassing ourselves against them like we did last season!
Liverpool couldn’t manage a goal with Alex Telles playing centre back FFS

Glorio

Pellistri = pre-season Figo
:lol: :lol: :lol:

This made me actually laugh out loud. I reckon I find it funny because it sounds like "pre-seaon Pirlo" all over again, but also because Figo is long retired!

Btw, I was already building up to a "it's ETH's fault we lost, for selling pre-season Pirlo before the Liverpool game"

Glorio

'Pellistri has played this half on his arse' 'this front three won't make it at this club'

Cue a devastating counter attack :drool:

Perfect timing to pipe down a few bizarre comments.
Same with the Amad comments, all from 1 half of a pre-seaon game :houllier:

Newtonius

Didn't watch live, 20 minutes in, do like the high line and the spurts of pressing but this is offset by mcfred can't be doing with them dippers have ran right through them twice now. Sancho going to be brilliant this season too.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
Simple question:

Are asthma inhalers banned in Thailand?! :D

Hughie77

It was a lot better they ran even in that heat, they wanted to get there first that showed. Playing out from the back with purpose. The younger lads had a good 2nd 45 with pool bringing on most 1st teamers on 60 mins. Bially was great, Savage and Iqbal were solid, Malacia was bit sketchy, then he grew into it was pretty good, his recovery from errors were good. Amad maybe was the one who was a bit sloppy. Sancho Martial looked sharp. Good result and take more out of this in next game

Glorio

Just makes me think of the preseason where we tanked Real Madrid then immediately shit the bed in the league (was it Swansea) in the league a week later.
There was the pre-seaon where we bossed Madrid and then had to play for the Super Cup (or something) against them a matter of weeks later and they played us off the park :nervous:

Robertd0803

Disclaimer-its a preseason friendly.

And now to the happy part of the post.

This is it.

That was fantastic.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
I know it's preseason and shouldn't be judged as what we're capable of come August but hopefully it's an omen of things to come.
Some observations :
Martial showed some shades of his past self with some glittering displays scattered in that short period and it would be wonderful if we could make any use of him this season especially considering the situation with Ronaldo and lack of talented strikers in the market but I still would sell if an offer came knocking by.
Rashford still has some work to do.
Shaw seemed to have gotten back some of his form, his first touch is still impeccable, hopefully he gets back to his best.
Bruno seemed a lot more composed although those wayward passes were still there, he probably should be played higher up on the pitch, im sure ten hag will get a tune out of him.
Malacia had a pretty decent debut, I have high hopes for the kid.
Bailly is the same old same old Bailly , a creature of habit and a mad man, he really is wonderful in his day but then again I don't think much needs to be said about his glass made body, even though it pains me to say I think we should offload him, he's rather old and will never not be injury prone, shame.
Zidane showed some promise, had a nice nifty touch and operated well under pressure, he could be of much use under the new direction which we're heading towards, could be a backup to de jong i think if we get that over the line.
VDB unfortunately looked rather underwhelming , he seems to be a nice lad bit to be brutally honest I don't think he's getting anything better than a part time role even under his former manager.
Amad looks neat but then he always does when given the chance, he isn't really a pace merchant neither does he have much physicality but his technique is awesome, hopefully ten hag helps him in taking that next step.
Fecundo looked impressive but he still needs to do a ton of work before getting a sniff at the first team.

I felt that we seemed a lot more direct and composed (the second half mayhem notwithstanding considering that the entire team was replaced) but I don't feel comfortable saying that it should definite improvement as to be honest I could see us having such an outlier performance under Ole but then it would also be too much to ask to have completely revamped our style seeing our players limitations and ten hat's lack of time in drilling such a change.

I expect massive improvements come September and I think new additions such as de jong will be imperative in achieving such results, having someone world class such as him connecting defense to the final third will do use wonders and immediately enhance our overall play with his driving runs.

Anyway I liked what I saw. :)

brian017

We're Bangkok Century Cup champions for the next 100 years!!! Put that in your pipe, Scousers!

MrBest

Was a great game, even if so just watching us play well for a bit, which has been 10 months waiting.

If I was to break out by stand outs, very good, good and average or below, I would:

Iqbal for me qas the stand out, not because his performance was the best but because he really surprised me.

Savage, Fred, Bailey, Bruno, Sancho, Martial and de gea all were very good for me today.

Rahsford, Lindeloff, varane, Shaw, tyrell, McTom, Pellistri, heaton

The rest I would say were average and have a lot to prove still.

Still game 1 of pre season, loads to play for, this team will change continuously and we finally built some confidence. I am very very happy with how today went, but recognise there is still so so much left to do. The ceiling is high.

MrBest

Don't mean to bring down your optimism, but a "good player" is the one that can do well all season, in 30+ games. Even Pogba was world class for one game a season :D I think Bailly is a good example here. He was amazing today, but when the season starts he will probably be injured most of it and we will never benefit from his goodness. So he needs to be sold, despite clearly being very talented.
Has or had the potential to be world class, a 3x combo of bad managers, injuries and his personality (clumsy and rash) have not helped him. Maybe this is the year?

Galactic

Incorrigible pest
It’s an absolutely fantastic performance (just take a minute to imagine if we had lost this game-perspective).

George The Best

I know it's preseason and shouldn't be judged as what we're capable of come August but hopefully it's an omen of things to come.
Some observations :
Martial showed some shades of his past self with some glittering displays scattered in that short period and it would be wonderful if we could make any use of him this season especially considering the situation with Ronaldo and lack of talented strikers in the market but I still would sell if an offer came knocking by.
Rashford still has some work to do.
Shaw seemed to have gotten back some of his form, his first touch is still impeccable, hopefully he gets back to his best.
Bruno seemed a lot more composed although those wayward passes were still there, he probably should be played higher up on the pitch, im sure ten hag will get a tune out of him.
Malacia had a pretty decent debut, I have high hopes for the kid.
Bailly is the same old same old Bailly , a creature of habit and a mad man, he really is wonderful in his day but then again I don't think much needs to be said about his glass made body, even though it pains me to say I think we should offload him, he's rather old and will never not be injury prone, shame.
Zidane showed some promise, had a nice nifty touch and operated well under pressure, he could be of much use under the new direction which we're heading towards, could be a backup to de jong i think if we get that over the line.
VDB unfortunately looked rather underwhelming , he seems to be a nice lad bit to be brutally honest I don't think he's getting anything better than a part time role even under his former manager.
Amad looks neat but then he always does when given the chance, he isn't really a pace merchant neither does he have much physicality but his technique is awesome, hopefully ten hag helps him in taking that next step.
Fecundo looked impressive but he still needs to do a ton of work before getting a sniff at the first team.

I felt that we seemed a lot more direct and composed (the second half mayhem notwithstanding considering that the entire team was replaced) but I don't feel comfortable saying that it should definite improvement as to be honest I could see us having such an outlier performance under Ole but then it would also be too much to ask to have completely revamped our style seeing our players limitations and ten hat's lack of time in drilling such a change.

I expect massive improvements come September and I think new additions such as de jong will be imperative in achieving such results, having someone world class such as him connecting defense to the final third will do use wonders and immediately enhance our overall play with his driving runs.

Anyway I liked what I saw. :)
What about Iqbal - thought he looked a really good talent. Thought Martial outshone Rashford today too - which is a worry

copen1945

We are winning the league. Or Erik will do some good and encouraging things.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
What about Iqbal - thought he looked a really good talent. Thought Martial outshone Rashford today too - which is a worry
I did refer to Zidane in my post, he looked extremely promising , more than the previous time I saw him.

Yeah , Rashford really needs to get back on with it or we're having a problem on our hands.

WelshManc

If possible, could someone PM me a link to the full game, struggling to find one.

If this is not allowed then please ignore me.

Thanks.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Hopefully, these are green shoots of recovery. Players looked up for the game much more than Liverpool players and wanted to prove a point to the new management.