Manchester United vs Real Madrid (Pre-season Friendly)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friction

A last resort or a scheme to mess with Van Gaal in a preseason game? Not when your best player's health is at stake. Ronaldo generates huge amounts of revenue for them, some people most likely attended the game just to see him, so instead of throwing him in and saying "Hey give it your all so we can win a meaningless preseason game", I'm sure it was more of a "We'll bring you in to ease you back into it, but don't take too many risks" and that's the way he played too.
Sorry man, we just disagree and that's that (looks like I'm not the only one to do so here either). Honestly you come off as a bit of a troll, calling people scousers simply because they are happy that we are doing well this preseason. Compared to last preseason and what that foreshadowed, they have had plenty to be happy for.

Maybe Real Madrid wasn't playing as hard as they could have been, but you know what, that's all on them. It doesn't take anything away from United. And just so you know, these games aren't worthless or meaningless. In addition to all the typical money made from adverts and such, the winner of this tournament gets $1 million for winning. Might not seem like alot, but it might have been just enough to keep a FFP investigation off of RM next year. :lol:

Wade3

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Sorry man, we just disagree and that's that (looks like I'm not the only one to do so here either). Honestly you come off as a bit of a troll, calling people scousers simply because they are happy that we are doing well this preseason. Compared to last preseason and what that foreshadowed, they have had plenty to be happy for.

Maybe Real Madrid wasn't playing as hard as they could have been, but you know what, that's all on them. It doesn't take anything away from United. And just so you know, these games aren't worthless or meaningless. In addition to all the typical money made from adverts and such, the winner of this tournament gets $1 million for winning. Might not seem like alot, but it might have been just enough to keep a FFP investigation off of RM next year. :lol:
So I'm a troll now because I'm viewing things differently? And yes, with the excitement going on around here, the scousers comment isn't far off because it's exactly what United fans laugh about when it comes to Liverpool. I simply have different expectations or let's say it takes more for me to get excited. I'm not ready to be extremely happy now just to get disappointed later. It's kinda like people trashing a player one day and then praising him the next, you go from one extreme to the other instead of taking a wait-and-see approach. I'm happy we're actually playing football again, but I need consistent performances against real competition. Like I said before, in last season's game against Swansea, the first day of the BPL, we actually looked decent.

With that being said, it does matter if Real played as hard as they could have because they made it easier for us to look good.

Wade3

@Wade5... if you prefer to dig deeper and deeper on the ground you are squatting on, it's your choice. Just be aware that you would be falling into the hole you have been digging, and none of us here will give you a hand. Bye.
That's a way of not addressing my points. You just write everyone who doesn't gloat over a preseason win off as negative, claim I jumped to conclusions and then back out of the discussion.

carlosp

scholesboot

Looks like a lot of the crowd were weearing white although you can see a little Red behind on of the goal posts and slightly to the side. massive stadium though. Still the 3rd biggest in the world I read.
Are you joking :lol::lol:

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
Looks like a lot of the crowd were weearing white although you can see a little Red behind on of the goal posts and slightly to the side. massive stadium though. Still the 3rd biggest in the world I read.
I don't really understand your comment. I was referencing the question of whether or not the photoshopped crowd was really on Marca, in which case, it was. It was a sea of red, plain and simple. Marca can suck themselves.

nick2004

I think if all players we have play to the level they have played so far for the entire season, top 4 should be nailed. The question to ask is can these players play at this level for a season?
Of course they can!

They can play much better than that, too! Remember, they are in transition! New manager, new system, etc. :D

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
Marca is notorious was altering images to suit their agenda, far from the first time. Odd to see Ann Arbor hosting a football match like that, I spent many a wonderful occasion at the stadium watching the Wolverines play there - typically a great atmosphere

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Wtf. Photoshopping the crowd to add more white shirts? Franco would be proud, I guess.

If only we can photoshop us winning 10 European cups, huh?

carlosp

I don't really understand your comment. I was referencing the question of whether or not the photoshopped crowd was really on Marca, in which case, it was. It was a sea of red, plain and simple. Marca can suck themselves.
Sorry, hadn't seen the comments about the photoshop. Just went to the marca page and saw the pic. Thought the comments were about the 110k people. Massive stadium.

17nentori

Working with the ball in training. Game time .High pressure . Moving without the ball. One touch passing. That's it. Don't care if it's 532 or 442 or 352 or 433. Best
off season game. Let's wait. I'm happy so far.

17nentori

So I'm a troll now because I'm viewing things differently? And yes, with the excitement going on around here, the scousers comment isn't far off because it's exactly what United fans laugh about when it comes to Liverpool. I simply have different expectations or let's say it takes more for me to get excited. I'm not ready to be extremely happy now just to get disappointed later. It's kinda like people trashing a player one day and then praising him the next, you go from one extreme to the other instead of taking a wait-and-see approach. I'm happy we're actually playing football again, but I need consistent performances against real competition. Like I said before, in last season's game against Swansea, the first day of the BPL, we actually looked decent.

With that being said, it does matter if Real played as hard as they could have because they made it easier for us to look good.
Yes . These games doesn't matter. What matters is the championship this year. But so far so good. We heard let's wait for Roma. Let's wait for Real. Now let's wait for Liverpool game. I like the way our team is playing.

lifted

Y2A

Here is the post game press conference

What an amazing man! He tells it straight though and thats why many people have a problem with him.

The authority and details he shares is also a bit surprising. Otherwise all we heard from Moyes was boring uninsightful stuff.

Y2A

I think that quote is from the presser and it's not as bad as it sounds. He was talking about Madrid missing players and then stated who was missing for United. Nothing in it really.
Yes.

Also he mentioned Him before RVP and Adnan doesn't mean he rates him higher than them.

sport2793

Great game to watch, especially as an American to see how the game is growing in the country and the fact that there are a lot of man utd fans here. The swagger we carried at times was promising even though it's still preseason. Liked the performances of Young, Fletcher, and Kagawa.

17nentori

Where exactly did I regard preseason wins as conclusive of future success? Right nowhere. I see threads comparing Young to the likes of Robben and Roberto Carlos and how LvG transformed him, see posts of us winning the title and stomping all the lower-bottom teams based on three preseason games, so who is the real idiot here? The scouser comparison was made to show how ridiculous some of these comparisons and conclusions are based on three preseason games. I didn't make those comparisons.

I wanna wait and see whether this team can perform on this level against actual competition, when there is 90 minutes of pressure from the other team and we're actually playing for something. If a wait-and-see approach is your view of negativity, then so be it. In our first BPL game under Moyes against Swansea we didn't look so bad either and then see how dreadful we were for the rest of the year. Now, before you jump to any stupid conclusions, I'm not comparing LVG to Moyes, nor am I saying this will crash and burn, but it shows how small sample sizes don't mean much, especially in preseason.
What were u going to say if we lost all the games so far. Wait for swansea game

RoyH1

As I expected United were the better team. Van Gaal has them all fighting for a place in the team, whereas Madrid is still very rusty other than Gareth Bale. Casillas was woeful by the way (not that United wouldn't have won anyway) and I simply cannot see the logic in keeping him and selling Diego Lopez, specially when everyone knows that by mid-september, Keylor Navas will start.

I don't understand why Van Gaal is so hard on Chicharito. I know that in many ways, he doesn't fit the profile of what Van Gaal wants in a striker (he's always had very technical strikers) but then just put him on the market and don't knock down his price by criticizing him.

.Phil1968

Just got in from work and very pleasantly surprised to see us win and apparently play so well. It all bodes well for the new season and true to his word he is giving every player his chance, who'd have thought Ashley Young would be still here let alone very much in Van Gaal's plans.
Anyone seen Micah Richards penalty last night ? :lol::lol::lol:

needtoknowbasis

Kagawa and Hernandez have something to offer unlike Cleverly and Feillani but sad that probably one of them leaves
Give it a rest with all this cleverley bashing he's been doing ok not
Since when did Tyler Blackett become so composed on the ball? I was reading the Birmingham and Blackpool forums last season to see how he was doing and the general consensus was that he is a donkey.
well then they are idiots because he's never been a donkey

needtoknowbasis

I never imagined that a coach could have such an effect on a team, such a short space of time and what a difference. I guess the players have always had the potential, but it's still an amazing sight to see us already so fluent.

In a few months when we become even better in this system and philosophy I think we can do some damage this season. As for defenders, maybe LvG is right, maybe he doesn't need any, I'd still like to see a midfielder though.
You guess the players have always had the potential! It's the same players that won the bloody league, in style, the season before bloody moyes took over. This team was never shite just took the right manager to remind them of what they are capable of.

Reactions: Man Utd Mrs

Wade3

Yes . These games doesn't matter. What matters is the championship this year. But so far so good. We heard let's wait for Roma. Let's wait for Real. Now let's wait for Liverpool game. I like the way our team is playing.
As do I, we're on a good path, no doubt, but there's still plenty of room for improvement.

Status
Not open for further replies.