Manchester United vs Real Madrid (Pre-season Friendly)

Status
Not open for further replies.

roseguy64

Keane didn't have a nightmare. He was fine for most of the game. But as one would expect going up against Bale, he got bummed a few times. We won't face players of the quality of Bale every week.

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
Who got the assist for our second goal? It's gone down as a goal for Young, so who passed it to Young?

Wade3

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I really don't think they would risk losing Ronaldo regardless of how many fans want to see him play. So either his "injury" wasn't as bad as they let on, it was all a scheme to mess with Van Gaal's head over team selection, or they put him in as a "last resort" to try and win the game. In my opinion, it was the latter. Ronaldo hasn't looked well all summer, and Van Gaal doesn't strike me as the type that could be put off easily.
A last resort or a scheme to mess with Van Gaal in a preseason game? Not when your best player's health is at stake. Ronaldo generates huge amounts of revenue for them, some people most likely attended the game just to see him, so instead of throwing him in and saying "Hey give it your all so we can win a meaningless preseason game", I'm sure it was more of a "We'll bring you in to ease you back into it, but don't take too many risks" and that's the way he played too.

Redo91

really? please elaborate?
He was brilliant as a number 10 against Norwich in the League Cup for one. Most people would view that as one of his best performances for us. Also against Swansea at OT in the league he was excellent. I'm not saying that he hasn't played well as a winger but it's wrong to say his "only" good performances came when playing there and I'm sure most posters on here would agree with me on this.

Wade3

But what does it matter if they gave it their all or if they are in form or not? . Beating Real Madrid 3-1 is a great result and that gives fans and players alike confidence in the new system and ¨trainer-coach¨. When was the last time we were this excited about our team? We should not look at any other teams and their reasons for failing, just look at ourselves and be proud of today.
Beating Real Madrid 3-1 without Benzema, di Maria, James, Kroos, Marcelo and with a more than hampered Ronaldo is a solid result, we played some nice football, I never argued that, but in the end, the result looked better than one might think it was, it's that plain and simple. If you wanna be extremely happy, then so be it, but I wanna see good performances against real competition, not in a meaningless preseason game.

fordemonk

He was brilliant as a number 10 against Norwich in the League Cup for one. Most people would view that as one of his best performances for us. Also against Swansea at OT in the league he was excellent. I'm not saying that he hasn't played well as a winger but it's wrong to say his "only" good performances came when playing there and I'm sure most posters on here would agree with me on this.
So do you think hes ahead of kagawa for the number 10 spot? Obviously its matas position for now. Wasn't he also pretty poor in the number 10 spot a couple of times? Don't get me wrong, Januzaj has a lot of potential and I think he could be a good number 10 in the future but hes miles off that for now. hes a decent young player, unproven, could be great but its very early

Drummer

Nice win.

Still think we need 2 more quality players in defence and midfield to nail on top 4.

It's remarkable how complacent some people are in thinking that we will walk a top 4 spot. We have virtually the same central midfield with just older versions of the players that many people have been complaining about for years.

And our defence, when fit, has none of the players who got us the success that would warrant over confidence of getting a top four.

LVG looks like a superb coach that may very well over achieve with these players but I would prefer to see him get some top quality to improve his chances.

redevil2

Where did I say we weren't better? Where did I say we didn't make improvements? Get a grip and read my posts. I simply claimed Real wasn't in top form so this win is not to be overstated. That's just being realistic not negative as you suggest.
Liar!
You were insulting the intelligence of those of us here praising the performance and how LvG had transformed the team as these preseason games showed.

Who on earth have been overstating the win today or the previous games? You were trying to make your negativity known by asking us not to overstate when in fact no one is overstating anything.

You have to be an idiot to regard preseason wins as conclusive of future success. You also went so far as to say the following to insult the rest of us here. If you're not negative, you are an idiot. Take your pick.
... all during this cup. I know United fans want to praise everything under LVG now but some here are starting to sound like scousers.

RustyS

Liar!
You were insulting the intelligence of those of us here praising the performance and how LvG had transformed the team as these preseason games showed.

Who on earth have been overstating the win today or the previous games? You were trying to make your negativity known by asking us not to overstate when in fact no one is overstating anything.

You have to be an idiot to regard preseason wins as conclusive of future success. You also went so far as to say the following to insult the rest of us here. If you're not negative, you are an idiot. Take your pick.
He's right @Wade3. Just go with "negative" and call it a day. He gave you a way out.

GRon

Nice win.

Still think we need 2 more quality players in defence and midfield to nail on top 4.

It's remarkable how complacent some people are in thinking that we will walk a top 4 spot. We have virtually the same central midfield with just older versions of the players that many people have been complaining about for years.

And our defence, when fit, has none of the players who got us the success that would warrant over confidence of getting a top four.

LVG looks like a superb coach that may very well over achieve with these players but I would prefer to see him get some top quality to improve his chances.
I think if all players we have play to the level they have played so far for the entire season, top 4 should be nailed. The question to ask is can these players play at this level for a season?

Loublaze

ATLien
I think we also have Juventus
Keane didn't have a nightmare. He was fine for most of the game. But as one would expect going up against Bale, he got bummed a few times. We won't face players of the quality of Bale every week.
Indeed. I thought he did ok. He even looked better in the second half. Playing against Bale has added to his experience.

Owngoalscorer

Were you watching the same match I did? I thought Zaha was awful. Cleverly was average at best. Michael Keane had a nightmare, but I'd not be too harsh on him because he was against one of the 3 best players of the world.
Yeah I did I would imagine and i don't agree with you - esp Keane - he in fact made one mistake - which involved slipping - and even the greatest players do that ;)
Cleverly equally made one mistake trying a 1-2 with Kagawa who wasn't there.. otherwise his passing was crisp and his pressing good
Zaha didn't have the best of games but more positives than negatives. right now he needs match time against good players, which is what he got tonight.
I'm not talking about you here: To both Commentators and commenters on here who thought Utd were much worse at the beginning of the second half - Which of the two teams changed a large number of players at half-time and which one came out with a team fully warmed up & used to conditions? By the last 3rd Utd were well on top again & that's with Ronaldo & Bale

Drummer

I think if all players we have play to the level they have played so far for the entire season, top 4 should be nailed. The question to ask is can these players play at this level for a season?
Big gamble to presume fitness and form will be consistent.

Also, is the club not aiming for the title with 4th as a minimum? This squad is not good enough to win the title.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Right you are. Are you watching the MUTV replay as well? :)
Yeah. I was looking at highlights and none of them showed who played the ball, so I kept a look out when watching MUTV. Great ball aswell from the young lad.

GarryKasparov

I agree with almost all of the player ratings, but DDG 7.4...... :nono:

Have you seen how many times our wing backs became in trouble because of DDG's risky/weak passes?

Wade3

Liar!

Where exactly did I regard preseason wins as conclusive of future success? Right nowhere. I see threads comparing Young to the likes of Robben and Roberto Carlos and how LvG transformed him, see posts of us winning the title and stomping all the lower-bottom teams based on three preseason games, so who is the real idiot here? The scouser comparison was made to show how ridiculous some of these comparisons and conclusions are based on three preseason games. I didn't make those comparisons.

I wanna wait and see whether this team can perform on this level against actual competition, when there is 90 minutes of pressure from the other team and we're actually playing for something. If a wait-and-see approach is your view of negativity, then so be it. In our first BPL game under Moyes against Swansea we didn't look so bad either and then see how dreadful we were for the rest of the year. Now, before you jump to any stupid conclusions, I'm not comparing LVG to Moyes, nor am I saying this will crash and burn, but it shows how small sample sizes don't mean much, especially in preseason.

Redo91

So do you think hes ahead of kagawa for the number 10 spot? Obviously its matas position for now. Wasn't he also pretty poor in the number 10 spot a couple of times? Don't get me wrong, Januzaj has a lot of potential and I think he could be a good number 10 in the future but hes miles off that for now. hes a decent young player, unproven, could be great but its very early
Based on their respective performances last season I would say Januzaj is ahead of Kagawa, and by some distance at that.

So what if he had a few poor games as a number 10. Ronaldo had poor games for us as a winger starting out too. Everyone will play badly every now and then, especially young players which is why patience is needed. Besides Januzaj also had some poor games as a winger will nullifies your point.

Going off the topic of the match now so I will leave the discussion at this post.

GRon

Yeah I did I would imagine and i don't agree with you - esp Keane - he in fact made one mistake - which involved slipping - and even the greatest players do that ;)
Cleverly equally made one mistake trying a 1-2 with Kagawa who wasn't there.. otherwise his passing was crisp and his pressing good
Zaha didn't have the best of games but more positives than negatives. right now he needs match time against good players, which is what he got tonight.
I'm not talking about you here: To both Commentators and commenters on here who thought Utd were much worse at the beginning of the second half - Which of the two teams changed a large number of players at half-time and which one came out with a team fully warmed up & used to conditions? By the last 3rd Utd were well on top again & that's with Ronaldo & Bale
I agree I might have been harsh to say that Keane had a nightmare. However, the United's loss of tempo after Cleverly and Zaha came on was quite clear. May be Cleverly just is not nearly as good as Herrera to do that sort of job.

MorraGambit

It's funny.. We beat LA Galaxy 7-0 and some people said that they were not a good/proper opponent..

Now we beat Madrid 3-1 and they're saying Madrid was not trying hard.

We just can't win ;)

fordemonk

Based on their respective performances last season I would say Januzaj is ahead of Kagawa, and by some distance at that.

So what if he had a few poor games as a number 10. Ronaldo had poor games for us as a winger starting out too. Everyone will play badly every now and then, especially young players which is why patience is needed. Besides Januzaj also had some poor games as a winger will nullifies your point.

Going off the topic of the match now so I will leave the discussion at this post.
Wow very selective use of logic there pal. lets just agree to disagree

AndyMUFC

Very encouraging signs, we played some great stuff first half and some of the team are looking like completely different players. It wasn't Real's best side but it was still a strong side and we looked really up for it.

Looking forward to Liverpool in the final.

Jay Pascal

TH
I just don't understand the pathetic negativity surrounding united and LVG on here. He's paid enough let him do his job. If he fails like the one I refuse to speak of then have your girly tantrums. Until then enjoy the ride.
This!!!!

redevil2

@Wade5... if you prefer to dig deeper and deeper on the ground you are squatting on, it's your choice. Just be aware that you would be falling into the hole you have been digging, and none of us here will give you a hand. Bye.

redevil2

It's funny.. We beat LA Galaxy 7-0 and some people said that they were not a good/proper opponent..

Now we beat Madrid 3-1 and they're saying Madrid was not trying hard.

We just can't win ;)
Here here.. Next Monday when we beat Liverpool, they will say its because they don't have Luis Suárez and they were adjusting time without him, otherwise we would have been slaughtered. Or Brendan Rodgers was deliberately losing to give us false hope....They can come up with anything. You are spot on, we can't win!

ChaddyP

Just back from the game. We looked sharp.. Some nice passes... Madrid were aweful... Only seemed to have a chance by playing balls over the top to Bale. Fletch was great.. So composed on the ball playing from deep. If this is just pre season I can't wait to see what the new season brings

Oneunited26

What ever the lineup, it's an impressive win. If real beat us 3 1 alarm bells would be ringing, so what ever Madrid put out we got to admit it's an indication van gaal has got this team thinking they can win games against the big teams. Pen win against inter, Wins over Madrid and Roma is not bad. Do not forget many thought Madrid would beat Us 4 0 to make van gaal wake up we need signings

UnsungHero

Monitoring the preparation of the Vidal bid
LvG "We deserved to win. We are in the right way and we're missing players like (Marouane) Fellaini, (Adnan) Januzaj and (Robin) van Persie."

Really worrying comment from LvG.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soc...-liverpool-30479797.html#sthash.1aHtSnc4.dpuf
Don't read in to what he says. The club will be trying to get as much money as possible for Fellaini, acting as if we're desperate to sell him wouldn't help.

LvG isn't stupid, he'll see what glaring weaknesses we have and I'm sure he'll have at least two players in mind.

bloke

i've noticed that some people have been getting a little carried away with the pre-season performances & results.
i hope the team carries doing well when the season starts, but we all know the premier league is a lot different than these friendlies.

it was good that so many people were at the game, but i didn't think the atmosphere was especially great. maybe it was the lack of singing or something?
i doubt very much if many americans watching the game became converts to 'soccer' because of it.

however its all a step in the right direction for the club.

Status
Not open for further replies.