5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ekeke

Wasn't that the same issue he had at Bayern of being a bit part player and struggling due to lack of playing time?
Yes, but our midfield options other than Casemiro are significantly worse so if hes at his best theres good reason to think he'll start. Unless we sign other players and improve our options to Bayern levels, which seems unlikely

The Red Thinker

We ought to go Casemiro + Fred for Liverpool. They work really well together. I’d try Casemiro + Sabitzer vs Betis. Then take it from there.

ZahaWilf

Do we try to do a deal with Bayern in the summer for him or not? Hasn't done too badly but feel we could get a slight upgrade on him. Do we go for another experienced head like Casemiro or a younger prospect?

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Do we try to do a deal with Bayern in the summer for him or not? Hasn't done too badly but feel we could get a slight upgrade on him. Do we go for another experienced head like Casemiro or a younger prospect?
I think ETH keeps him. Not just because of his ability, but also on how well he fits into his system, the players positive demeanor, and the fact that he would be relatively cost effective given some off the alternatives. I also think ETH considers keeping Weghorst, but will still buy another expensive striker.

daveskimufc

I like him so far, but would still want to see another MF in the summer. If he is happy to be a squad option, stil playing 25+games a year then great. A much better squad option than mctominay imo. But then I think would I want him to take a bench place from a Mainoo, or Iqbal, does he really offer that much more?

RuudTom83

I don't even think EtH has decided yet but I wouldn't be disappointed in Sabitzer stayed and took McTom's position in the squad.

Casemiro, Bruno, Eriksen, Fred, Sabitzer with Mainoo/Hannibal offering cover is a healthy group.

Abraxas

We have a lot of football every season so there could be a place for him. I've not been overwhelmed with him so far, but it is early days. Solid but rather unspectacular in his performances and all aspects of his game so far.

I think we'd have to look at our composition and incomings and outgoings to see if it is really justified. 20 million is 20 million, no point in signing him just because he's there, he has to be the best option bearing in mind our overall transfer market. We have to see if McTominay can be sold, what other midfield plans the manager might have in the market. But it could make sense in some way.

I see him as more of a utility player that can play box to box, kind of like McTominay when he plays his best role. He's not really the Casemiro understudy that would be really useful, or somebody with the technical quality of FDJ. So I wouldn't say he's screaming out to be bought but it's a squad option.

Wing Attack Plan R

I have no strong feelings regarding him one way or the other. He isn't particularly bad or outstanding. He can be a good squad player that can provide cover for injures or rotation.

As for signing him on a permanent deal, would you start him ahead of Fred or a fit Erickson along side Casemiro? At this point in time it's a no from me. We need a world class mideilder that can partner with Casemiro (FDJ being the dream). Sabitzer would be a luxury backup signing imo.
Yes, I would start him ahead of Fred.
Fred has a 1 year contract extension coming up, and I’d be for activating the extension, but not in giving him a new contract. Fred has been useful lately, but his overall United tenure has been poor. He’s been turning in disastrous first halves and great second halves, but that still only translates to half a game.

We need players who are smarter with the ball, with better vision and better passing. Sabitzer is also a better tackler, has better positioning, and is harder to knock off the ball. Fred is a better dribbler but Sabitzer is the better team player. The wild card unpredictability of Fred is not something we should be cementing into the team for the next few years.

Last edited:

croadyman

I think ETH keeps him. Not just because of his ability, but also on how well he fits into his system, the players positive demeanor, and the fact that he would be relatively cost effective given some off the alternatives. I also think ETH considers keeping Weghorst, but will still buy another expensive striker.
I feel like only signing either De Jong/Bellingham (don't see either) would see him go back to Bayern

croadyman

I don't even think EtH has decided yet but I wouldn't be disappointed in Sabitzer stayed and took McTom's position in the squad.

Casemiro, Bruno, Eriksen, Fred, Sabitzer with Mainoo/Hannibal offering cover is a healthy group.
Does it lack another playmaker to backup Eriksen is my only concern

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I feel like only signing either De Jong/Bellingham (don't see either) would see him go back to Bayern
Agreed, but that's a big if given all the variables at play, which include whether or not the club is sold and how much EtH prioritizes a proper striker over all else, which would leave little in the kitty for an expensive midfielder. In such an instance, I could easily see him keeping the players we currently have and rotating them situationally. Then the following summer go big on a new midfielder.

croadyman

Agreed, but that's a big if given all the variables at play, which include whether or not the club is sold and how much EtH prioritizes a proper striker over all else, which would leave little in the kitty for an expensive midfielder. In such an instance, I could easily see him keeping the players we currently have and rotating them situationally. Then the following summer go big on a new midfielder.
Yeah I wouldn't be against that idea of keeping him IF it meant we go all in for Osimhen/Kane

Andersons Dietician

I feel the same, I actually think Sab has been quite good. He’s just solid. He’s not pulling up fences but he I feel is just doing a good job and I think there is more to come from him. I think ETH will keep both him and Weg if he can. Mainly just for strength in depth.

croadyman

I feel the same, I actually think Sab has been quite good. He’s just solid. He’s not pulling up fences but he I feel is just doing a good job and I think there is more to come from him. I think ETH will keep both him and Weg if he can. Mainly just for strength in depth.
Don't mind keeping both provided we at least get a starter striker,De Jong pursuit will be fruitless again even with Champions League to offer.

PoTMS

Maybe, just maybe, we should try play him in midfield rather than a Championship level striker there instead.

croadyman

Maybe, just maybe, we should try play him in midfield rather than a Championship level striker there instead.
Maybe we all get on board with Qatari ownership and make him first signing of new era

Dominos

Maybe we all get on board with Qatari ownership and make him first signing of new era
Thats an underwhelming signing. A player that the manager rates behind Fred is our first signing. Wow
The issue with making this signing permanent is we need genuine first 11 quality to partner Casemiro every week, and we also need another player who can fill in DM when Casemiro isn't playing.

Sabitzer doesn't really fill either void unfortunately. And we certainly won't be signing Sabitzer + CM + DM in one window.

croadyman

The issue with making this signing permanent is we need genuine first 11 quality to partner Casemiro every week, and we also need another player who can fill in DM when Casemiro isn't playing.

Sabitzer doesn't really fill either void unfortunately. And we certainly won't be signing Sabitzer + CM + DM in one window.
Who can we sign to partner Casa

Woziak

There is no way on earth if the club is bought by Qatar that united will sign Weghorst permanently, never going to happen!

flappyjay

He has been discarded to then bench. 3 bench starts in a row, could have done that at Bayern as far as he is concerned. I really would love to see him Fred and casemiro in midfield with Bruno on the right. The energy and mobility from sabitzer/fred, I don't think we could get outran in midfield.

Strootman's Finger

Ten Hag doesn't seem to have much faith in him, definitely not expecting him to stick around after this season.

RuudTom83

He is yet to have a mini run in the team for a handful of reasons...but it makes judging him a little difficult.

Away from home I would like to see him along with Casemiro and Fred in the midfield.

OrcaFat

He is yet to have a mini run in the team for a handful of reasons...but it makes judging him a little difficult.

Away from home I would like to see him along with Casemiro and Fred in the midfield.
I agree with all of this.

He will play better if he’s in a midfield 3 (and so will Fred). At home or against fodder I’d drop Fred and start Sabitzer with Case. Fred can sub on for the last 25.

It’s just beginning to look as though ETH doesn’t rate him. Maybe he’s not fit enough.

Real Name

Definitely too early to say if ETH trusts him. Seems so he's behind Fred at the moment which isn't strange cause he's new at the club.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
I can never trust Fred and I don't understand why he is not being used more. Seems like an intelligent player with tools to excel.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
We've had a very tough run of games where it's been difficult to bed a new player in. Basically going from Europa knock-outs, to League Cup final to FA Cup knock-outs with a few PL games in between. He hasn't shown anything yet for why he should be chosen ahead of Fred in those games. Of course he hasn't had much of a chance to show that he should be either, but it's just the reality of the situation. I expect the plan would have been to have Fred start both games against Real Betis and Sabitzer then play against Southampton inbetween, but our performance against Liverpool may change things up.

The other option of course would be to play all three of Casemiro, Fred and Sabitzer, which in hindsight we probably should have done against Liverpool at the least.

Edit: Just remembered he's been ruled out of the first Betis game anyway.

Last edited:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I think he’s been a good addition but I’d like to see more of him for sure

Sylar

Definitely too early to say if ETH trusts him. Seems so he's behind Fred at the moment which isn't strange cause he's new at the club.
Yep defo too early. Especially as we saw how Eth used casemiro to begin with, and how he was behind mctominay. I imagine sabitzer would have started tonight

MegadrivePerson

Considering how much trust ETH has shown in Weghorst compared to Sabitzer makes me think that he's not been overly impressed by him?

I get the feeling that he won't be here next season. If he can't break in to the team now then I don't know why we'd sign him on a permanent deal?

MiceOnMeth

Considering how much trust ETH has shown in Weghorst compared to Sabitzer makes me think that he's not been overly impressed by him?

I get the feeling that he won't be here next season. If he can't break in to the team now then I don't know why we'd sign him on a permanent deal?
Weghorst wouldn't be getting a sniff at starting if Martial was fit. Fred is fit so Sab has stiff competition

Real Name

As a backup especially given Donny and Mct will and should leave.

Status
Not open for further replies.