5.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Belisarius

The issue is that I think the reason he wanted to leave Bayern is because he had become a depth piece. Not sure that's what he wants to do at this point in his career. I wouldn't say no to him becoming a depth piece at a fraction of the price Bayern originally wanted for him, but if he comes in i'd actually want us to sign our main midfielder, be that Mount of someone else, and then a young DM prospect still come in, especially if we end up selling a minimum of 2 of Fred/McTominay/DVB
I had forgotten that but I think you're right. Still there is a difference between being a depth piece like Eric Bailly and Zidane Igbal who never play versus Fred or Malacia who maybe don't start but still get a fair few minutes. If he'll play more here than at Bayern he might still be interested.

L1nk

I had forgotten that but I think you're right. Still there is a difference between being a depth piece like Eric Bailly and Zidane Igbal who never play versus Fred or Malacia who maybe don't start but still get a fair few minutes. If he'll play more here than at Bayern he might still be interested.
Maybe, and it has been well reported that he loves it here and would want to stay. Maybe now Rabiot has signed with Juventus again, this could be the deal we go with? Let's see

miked99

I wouldn't mind keeping him, as a rotation option rather than an automatic starter. He didn't set the world alight but he had some good moments, especially the two goals against Sevilla before getting injured. It's not like he had a full season to bed in either.

In an ideal world, we'd sign better. But we badly need options and depth in midfield and he's a relatively cheap way to add some.

SAFMUTD

He's not good enough, even as rotation we need better if we're going to compete against City. We should be adding only top players or players with potential. He's neither, we have enough of those average/goodish players already.

Belisarius

Sabi is a cut-price Rabiot alternative who himself was a cut price Mount alternative who himself was a cut price Frenkie alternative who we want because Donny, our cut price Grealish alternative has been rubbish. :wenger:
If we're always getting cut price alternatives, why do we always seem to be paying way more than anyone else for our players?

Paul778

Everyone seems to forget that Casemiro took 2-3 months for ETH to work him into the team...

... but then again there were plenty on the CAF who wanted to replace him in March when he wasn't as dominant as in January.

It's a team game where the position of every player is integral to the position of every other player and the overall performance of the team - in possession, out of possession and in transition. Haven't we spent the last few weeks discussing how Onana will free up space in the final third?

If ETH works with Sab on the training ground and reckons he can get a better tune out of him than VDB or McFred then I'm in.

RuudTom83

People forget just how thin the united squad is...if the rumours of McFred and Donny leaving are true then Sabitzer would be a decent squad player to cover those positions.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Honestly if he stayed I wouldn't mind it at all. I don't know what Rabiot would have brought because I haven't really seen him. But Sabitzer looks like there is something there, he just hasn't found his position.

A pre-season might well turn him into a great system player for us.

Guapa

Like the guy but not sure he's going to take us to the level required unless he has more to bring.Looked a bit heavy and one paced to me.

Idxomer

He's just not good enough for this league.

I would rather keep Fred and McTominay, both are better players and won't cost us anything.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
If ETH fancies him as a (more or less) designated backup/squad player - sure, why not.

(My impression of him is...alright. He looks at least potentially decent.)

But then he should be offered a permanent contract that is reasonable in all sorts of ways. Meaning: we shouldn't offer him a stupid, long-term contract.

As others have said, if we end up selling certain players, we do need depth.

Telsim

Nowhere near good enough. To be honest, I had kind of forgotten about him.

Irwin99

People forget just how thin the united squad is...if the rumours of McFred and Donny leaving are true then Sabitzer would be a decent squad player to cover those positions.
It's a good way to put it but i'm not sure of his quality. To me Rabiot would have been a far more accomplished player to cover positions and increase squad depth but obviously that's not happening now.

doomy20

Sign him up ffs. We need the squad depth in midfield, he already knows the club and will only get better next season. No brainer imo

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Seemed to be a headless chicken a lot of the time.

lex talionis

Sabitzer is the kind of midfielder we're going to need during the nine month ordeal commonly known as a football season.

Think about it. Bruno and Casemiro are our untouchable midfielders, but after that the drop off the cliff is a bit steep: Eriksen, Fred, Donny and Scotty. A fit Eriksen is a great asset for us, but he's no longer a 2x/week midfielder. Fred, Donny and Scott? Need I say more?

But what abount Mount? A clear upgrade on Eriksen, so with Eriksen as Mount's cover we'll be alright there. But we're not going to get through an entire football season with four midfielders. Sabitzer is no masterful 10, 8 or 6 but in a pinch can do any of those jobs. Unless the transfer fee and/or wages are out of bounds, we might do well to offload any two of Fred/Donny/Scotty and keep Sabitzer while we add Mount to the squad.

Highfather_24

If we can get him for 15M, and offload VdB for the same price, I would consider that decent business.

doomy20

Better than McT and vdb, another bad recruiting decision to let him go. He was perfectly suited for the reliable back up role

RonaldoVII

Better than McT and vdb, another bad recruiting decision to let him go. He was perfectly suited for the reliable back up role
Backup role on £15m+ and 200k+ a week? Also why would he want that? He was pretty average and it's the right decision to leave it there.

doomy20

Backup role on £15m+ and 200k+ a week? Also why would he want that? He was pretty average and it's the right decision to leave it there.
He is desperate to stay, said it multiple times. 15+M in today’s environment - yes, any day. I don’t know where the 200k are comin from though, surely less.

crossy1686

career ending
Nah he isn't good enough, for backup yes, but he won't play anywhere near the amount of games he probably wants to and Bayern will want north of £25m

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
Is he really btter than McT. Did you actually see that in him in his loan spell? I didn’t

Eric_the_Red99

Is he really btter than McT. Did you actually see that in him in his loan spell? I didn’t
He probably had a higher floor than McTominay, which isn’t saying much given how poor he’s been when incorrectly deployed as a DM, but a lower ceiling. Most of his performances were very meh and I can see why ETH thought we could do better.

doomy20

Partly yes. The thing is we loaned him cause our options were to thin when Case/Erikson can’t play. Now we are stuck in the same misery again. Both are a year older, Erikson decline after the injury was already clearly visible. Can Mount fill the position if needed?

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
By unreliable you mean he got injured?
He was basically invisible and poor in all his matches except for two or three when he played in the #10 role. He didn't have a single good match in the deeper roles. If that's anybody's idea of 'reliable' then they have a very different definition than I do.

Obviously there is a chance that with more time he would have improved, but based purely on what he'd done for us during his loan he would have been a pointless signing.

Idxomer

By unreliable you mean he got injured?
His fitness wasn't reliable and his performances were mostly below average. Fred outperformed in that same period and he's a player the manager doesn't rate that highly.

Status
Not open for further replies.